PDA

View Full Version : Advancement

PrinceRhys
May 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
Just to bring up an something I've been thinking about, I was wondering what your thoughts are on whether this game lacks advancement.

But you advance to higher player and class levels. That opens up new stages.

While this is true, I recently have been thinking that the game would be more interesting with a bit more direction. Instead of just using levels to advance, how about certain items? Not like PA frags. Currently, the whole game is accessible if you have a high enough level. Each mission has lower end content so anyone can join in. This is good for a jump in and play type game but...

Let me use an example to explain what I mean. I'll bring up another Online RPG, FFXI (I know they're not the same game, just go with me on this). I did not get so far in it, but for the amount of time I played, I saw that you need to collect certain items to complete a mission to be able to subjob, go different places and collect items to be able to get an airship pass to "Kahzam," do a specific mission for each subjob, do a certain mission and collect items to be able to use chocobos-I think you see what I'm getting at. I'm not really trying to compare the games so much as to say that perhaps if there were some quests to get to higher level content, arms, different areas, etc, it might be more satisfying.

For instance, they could have set it up so that everyone begins and is stuck on their respective planets (beast->Moatoob, Newman->Neudaiz, Humans and Casts->Parum) until they complete some early quest where they become a guardian and get to the Guardian's Colony or something. Not saying it's a good idea or would work, but it is something I toyed around with in my mind, and it falls along with what I am thinking.

Let me know what you think or if it's been brough up before. If it has been brought up before, I would like to see that thread.

Paramedic
May 10, 2007, 11:55 PM
I know what you mean. It makes me feel like I'm actually part of the game's world that way. (Or universe in this case) Not just a ghost/wanderer doing as I please all day long.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 11, 2007, 12:08 AM
I do not like that idea.

When I make my character, I want to be able to jump right into playing with my friends, none of this LOL GO DO TRAINING QUESTS BEFORE U CAN ACTUALLY PLAY UR CHARACTER LAWLZ.

omegapirate2k
May 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
I actually agree that you have a pretty good idea there, but the way the missions are set up it would never work.

Nuclearranger
May 11, 2007, 09:24 AM
It would require alot of changing stuff around but maybe there could be a different mode for it kinda like in pso you chose challenge or battle ext... idk it would take alot more thought than what I put into it

Eleina
May 11, 2007, 09:27 AM
It would be funny actually but sega could never program something tthat difficult lol

Sekani
May 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
While not a bad idea, what you are proposing seems more suited for traditional MMOs, not pick-up-and-play ones like PSU. PSU (and to a greater extent PSO) were designed with the idea of being able to just log in and start playing with your friends, wherever they might be. It would seem that such progression quests would get in the way of that.

Besides, just the thought of anything even remotely similar to FFXI's Limit Break quests or WoW's instance key quests stirs up some unpleasant emotions.

Xtian913
May 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
I really like that idea - for a real MMO.

I love PSU, but lets face it, its just a action game with some RPG elements.

AC9breaker
May 11, 2007, 10:16 AM
That is a bad idea. I was never too fond of the whole, "jump through this loop!" style of FFXI. I like my games hardcore casual, like PSU and Monster Hunter.

Paramedic
May 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
I want to be able to just pick up and play as well, but I also want to feel like my character is actually a part of the game. The story missions don't really do that for me.

Maybe this will be fixed in AoI?

PrinceRhys
May 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
Maybe even something as simple as using the goggles as a piece for advancement instead of just seeing traps and trees that can be cut down. I never played PSO online, but I liked how PSO was pick up and play, but offline you had to get through forest for caves, caves for mines and then from normal->hard->very hard->ultimate. Even online, I think at least one person in the party had to have completed earlier stages. It's just to have more to show for your work than a level and some weapons. Now it's like "Hey I'm new to the game. Hey, let's go fight the last boss." It doesn't have to be as complicated as I stated in my first post--that was just an example.

And, just imo, AOI is taking the only vestige of advancement. Now just fly to places you've been before. Now people can just jump right to the mission they want to spam. Perhaps some people have left because they got that "why am i fighting again?" feeling.

Player: "Time to die De Ragan #2641."

De Ragan: "Wait, why are we fighting?"

Player: *shrugs* "Killing you makes me stronger and richer."

De Ragan: *shrugs*

Fight begins...

A2K
May 11, 2007, 10:11 PM
On 2007-05-11 19:19, PrinceRhys wrote:
Maybe even something as simple as using the goggles as a piece for advancement instead of just seeing traps and trees that can be cut down. I never played PSO online, but I liked how PSO was pick up and play, but offline you had to get through forest for caves, caves for mines and then from normal->hard->very hard->ultimate. Even online, I think at least one person in the party had to have completed earlier stages. It's just to have more to show for your work than a level and some weapons. Now it's like "Hey I'm new to the game. Hey, let's go fight the last boss." It doesn't have to be as complicated as I stated in my first post--that was just an example.

And, just imo, AOI is taking the only vestige of advancement. Now just fly to places you've been before. Now people can just jump right to the mission they want to spam. Perhaps some people have left because they got that "why am i fighting again?" feeling.

The only real difference between PSO and PSU in that regard was the quest you wanted to spam in PSO was already right there in the Hunter's Guild. Ambition of the Illuminus is actually only bringing things in PSU a step closer to that--for a meseta fee, of course.

Unlocking stages (which was taken out of Blue Burst, if I recall correctly) was often viewed as one of those things someone just did, and not at all as any real indicator of advancement. A better word for it would be "convenience."

PrinceRhys
May 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, hmm. I guess I am more of a traditional Phantasy Star/rpg fan. It appears things like what I am suggesting would only get in the way of the "jump in and play" nature of the game. Oh well. It was something I hoped for, but I guess it's not in the scope of this type of game. I would love to see something like having to defeat the different relics to unlock access to a more difficult relics site on Moatoob. I guess ideas like these will have to stay just that--ideas in my head. If I want an adventure, I will still be able to walk from stage to stage like I do now.