PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB Test = lulz

Ma_Navu
May 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
About a month ago, I decided to take an in-class test called the "ASVAB" test, which my school said would help you make a career choice (or guide you in the right direction). So, I took the test.

A month later (yesterday), we got our results. So far so good. I look at the scores and they're all fairly high. Neat-o. As soon as the bell rings at 2:30 marking the end of school, I get a phone call. Me, being the guy who rarely anyone calls, I answer the phone. It's an army recruiter.

They said, "The ASVAB test has an extra score listed." I looked at the score, which was a 70-something. "That score is your military entrance score. Anyone with such-and-such a score can be recruited and anyone with 70 or higher can pick any job they want. You could be this, and this, and this..."

I promptly hung up the phone.

Career guidance or "Let's go to Iraq?" I'm not entirely sure, seeing as though I'm not a major in rocket science, but those seem to be two completely different choices. I was under the impression "Career guidance" was a program my school had allowing us to make the right choices ahead of time, so that we as young individuals won't be scrambling around like a retard as the deadlines for college admissions draw ever nearer.

I have lost whatever faith I had in my school. And I had none in the first place, so now I have, like, negative faith. They owe me faith now.

Banish
May 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
They post lies on the bill-boards around you.

Smooth-lipped tongue agents that lie to you.

they lied to you.

Ketchup345
May 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
The ASVAB is a test designed for people interested in joining the military. If the school did not tell you this info before hand, I completely agree with you distrusting them even more.

Is the extra score the AFQT?

Solstis
May 12, 2007, 08:45 PM
I think that I would want to be a cook if I joined the military, but my knees wouldn't get past basic.

foamcup
May 13, 2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, if they didn't tell you about that being a military aptitude test, they have some 'splaining to do. Seems like they're trying to trick impressionable kids into joining the military. Not cool. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

Kent
May 13, 2007, 09:55 AM
Out of curiosity, what did you think "Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery" stood for?

Also: School? Trust? ...What?

Ma_Navu
May 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
On 2007-05-12 15:11, Ketchup345 wrote:
The ASVAB is a test designed for people interested in joining the military. If the school did not tell you this info before hand, I completely agree with you distrusting them even more.

Is the extra score the AFQT?

Right, no one told me squat; all they said was, "You're unsure of what you want to be? Take the ASVAB test!" Looks like I should've done a bit of research as to what the name stood for.

Also, yes, the extra score is the AFQT.

On 2007-05-13 07:55, Kent wrote:
Out of curiosity, what did you think "Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery" stood for?

Also: School? Trust? ...What?

I had no idea what it stood for. It was only referred to as the "ASVAB," not by the actual name.

And, the acronym made me and my brother laugh, since we're both immature. "Heh, did you just say the 'ass flab' test?"

DurakkenX
May 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
when i took this test it was before the whole iraq thing and got the same thing. It took me roughly 5 months for them to get the point i'm not interested in shooting people for them. Also it's never said anything about what ASVAB means it's just referred to as an aptitude test every time i've heard about it.

Garroway
May 16, 2007, 05:53 PM
70 or higher gets you any job in the Army now? I hope the it's scale that has changed and not the requirements because in my time it took a score of 110 to get any job. 70-something barely qualified you for the infantry. 60 was rock bottom recruitable and only qualified you for truck driver. Also, there was no mystery as to the purpose of the ASVAB. I didn't even take it until after I had already talked to a recruiter.

DurakkenX
May 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
you can't get a 110 on the ASVAB... It's a percentile test. Maybe when you took it was different, but that's what it is now...

by percentile it means that if 100 people walk by you randomly you will prolly be smarter than said percent. So they want you to have 20+% above average intelligence. Statistically 50% of the people you will meet in general aren't really capable of handling much more than basic worker bee drone activities <.< another 20 to 45% will be capable of basic human conditions! yay! and the other 5% will look to you like pricks, assholes, or stuck up... and more than likely you won't talk to... or hate... strange that....

Solstis
May 16, 2007, 07:30 PM
Probably about 50% of people in the world are pretty young or pretty old, or fall into some sort of mentally handicapped category, so, uh, cut them some slack Durakken.

Blitzkommando
May 16, 2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds like it was your fault for not checking out what the test was for in the first place. There are plenty of jobs to do in the military that don't have anything to do with going to Iraq or Afghanistan either.

Also, Durakken before you start attacking users maybe you should check out things first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery). The ASVAB was still a percentile test before but it was not out of 100%. Before 50% did not match with correctly answering 50% of the questions. That wasn't changed until 2004.

DurakkenX
May 16, 2007, 11:07 PM
who's attacking anyone? I just said it was impossible to get a 110 with the test that was given when i took it and that they could have changed it. I also then gave the reason why it was impossible

given that the ASVAB is taken from a smaller group and from people above a certain education level the percentile is taken from the top 50% of the IQ percentile. It then means that only the top 30% of the 50% get that choice.

Garroway
May 17, 2007, 04:15 PM
That seems a lot different than I remembered (I took it in 1994). I'm deffinately thinking of your GT score, which still looks like it's a 110 to do anything in the Army. The actual percentage results of the ASVAB didn't mean anything when I enlisted, it was all about the GT score which was somehow derived from the ASVAB. The percentage results were so meaningless I don't even remember what mine were. Anyways it was a long time ago and I was still just a kid so I'm sure I'm not remembering everything exactly right.

AlexCraig
May 17, 2007, 05:35 PM
Y'know, I did something like that once. Only there was a section asking if I would like the Armed Forces to call me. I marked no. Guess who called me? No matter how many times I tell them "No kidney equals no Army" and "No thanks, not interested" they still seem to forget this and call anyway. Idiots...

Solstis
May 17, 2007, 05:45 PM
I only got called once. Luckily, after I said no (or hung up) I was never called again.