PDA

View Full Version : In the upgrade, will the servers still be split by country?

happy_cricket
May 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
I assume they will, but I thought I'd ask.

Kaydin
May 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
Currently there's the JP servers and the NA/EU servers for PC/PS2. The Xbox360 servers are worldwide.

What do you mean by "split"?

Edit: I didn't read the "...still be..." part. o.O
Now I feel dumb. v.v

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaydin on 2007-05-12 20:25 ]</font>

happy_cricket
May 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
I mean will they ever let the NA players and the JP players play together again. I play NA on the PC, and the single solitary problem I have with this game is the tiny population ( I haven't played in a while now).

ROB31
May 12, 2007, 05:53 PM
probably not being that the JP players have content that we do not have, and missions we do not have

McLaughlin
May 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think he meant "Will they be split by Region."

Garnet_Moon
May 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
I hope it stays the same. I want nothing to do with the Japanese and the headaches over trying to communicate with them. I come from FFXI, and that has taught me never to party with them. Or anyone who can't speak english for that matter.

It worked in PSO because we could make little bubbles with angry faces flipping the guy off, but in PSU? We don't have that same feature, so we're powerless to get people to listen... especially foreigners.

Garnet_Moon
May 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
Though, on the plus side, we'd all get the same content on the same day at the exact same time. That would be nice.

But then again, the language barrier is a mighty foe...

Mystil
May 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
JP players in the PS world are vverrrry different from the JP players in FFXI. You shouldn't generalize them like that. JP players NEVER threw us out of games in PSO, infact a lot of them came over and made games title "teach me english". This is what I liked about the community in PSO/PSU overall. There is a HELL OF A LOT MORE UNITY.

And honestly..if they were like the FFXI JP's, would there be any importers? Who the fuck wants to be play a game where its <insert kanji here> JP ONLY. NO US. Or some shit. Or freaking invite an english speaking player to fill last slot only to find out there were only invited to finish a JP XP SESSION. I can't level my RDM further(I'm only invited because I AM a red mage) cause the only time I can play is in the mornings with the JP players and my subs can't get into a party - I'm fucked!

I don't know about you but I had fun on the first ship of the JP server(Merope?)

Now as for the topic, it could probably work now as the PC/PS2 problems are slowly going away.

Sekani
May 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
On 2007-05-12 16:37, Mystil wrote:
JP players in the PS world are vverrrry different from the JP players in FFXI.
Uh, no. I got shunned from PSO and PSU games just as quickly as from FFXI ones. It is my experience that most Japanese gamers don't care to socialize with anyone who can't speak Japanese. Simple as that.

For the sake of non-generalization, I have had some good experiences with JP players across all three games; however, those were uncommon occasions.

Overall, there's no difference.

And honestly..if they were like the FFXI JP's, would there be any importers?
Yes, because almost all of the importers know Japanese. They won't have our issues.

happy_cricket
May 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
I played on the Japanese servers on PSO about half of the time I played. I was never shunned or asked to leave.

Garnet_Moon
May 12, 2007, 09:20 PM
They where nice in PSO, sure. I was around on the Dreamcast and Gamecube version.

However, i'll be damned if i'm gonna party with them after FFXI. Segregation is my best friend.

Omega_Weltall
May 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
ya in PSO the JP players were cool. but the FF11 assholes piss me off(they'er just mad cause we'er better players than them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)... call me gaijin in my own fucking home... can kiss my ass...

Garnet_Moon
May 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
On 2007-05-12 19:24, Omega_Weltall wrote:
ya in PSO the JP players were cool. but the FF11 assholes piss me off(they'er just mad cause we'er better players than them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)... call me gaijin in my own fucking home... can kiss my ass...

FFXI burned me out on playing with foreigners. Maybe Ragnarok 2 can help me open my heart to countries with languages I can't even pronounce, but PSU sure won't.

I'm weaboo enough as it is. What with my anime bumper stickers, wall scrolls, chop sticks, anime DVD collection, Gundam models, and misc other items. I don't need to learn more words for a language i'd rather hear in anime raws with subtitles.

Mewnie
May 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, like FFXI, where the importers were raging douchebags |3

I also hated the Japanophiles that worshiped the Japanese players like gods. I just treated them like anyone else, they were playing the same game I was (a very shitty game, but that's another story ;3)

natewifi
May 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
Off Topic : For the 360 players, do the japanese 360 players come in your party and say "konichiwa" on live?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-05-12 19:42 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 12, 2007, 10:09 PM
Then tend to stick to Universe 16. I haven't played with them personally, but I see them around in lobbies, and they're nice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-05-12 20:30 ]</font>

R2D6battlebot
May 12, 2007, 10:22 PM
Ive never heard one speak over the mic, but I try to type 'konnichiwa' to them when they come into my shop to be polite, and they have all responded the same way...they type as best they can in English to be polite to me, and to try and communicate what they are after =P I did however, have one JP player come into my shop, and when i said 'konnichiwa' he replied with a lot of JP language written in English letters (there is a word for this, cant remember it) so i freaked out and ran out of my own room and laughed at myself for about 10 minutes. I then repeated what he said via chat log to my JP speaking friend so he could translate, and it turns out the JP player was complementing my Japanese, and after i heard that it was another 15 minutes or so of solid laughter xD.

VanHalen
May 12, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-05-12 20:22, R2D6battlebot wrote:
(there is a word for this, cant remember it)

Romanji I think.

Pretty funny story.

Sekani
May 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
On 2007-05-12 19:41, natewifi wrote:
Off Topic : For the 360 players, do the japanese 360 players come in your party and say "konichiwa" on live?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-05-12 19:42 ]</font>

Haven't had any Japanese players join any of my parties, but on the occasions that I've joined theirs and haven't gotten kicked, they greet me with a "Herro!" over the mic.

Mutt12
May 13, 2007, 12:09 PM
On 2007-05-12 19:27, Garnet_Moon wrote:
FFXI burned me out on playing with foreigners.

Yeah I know how you feel. On PSO, I had no issues with JP players. Most of them were pretty cool. But then when I started FFXI, I was in for a world of shock when I came across many an elitist, American-hating JP player.

Spellbinder
May 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
On 2007-05-13 10:09, Mutt12 wrote:

On 2007-05-12 19:27, Garnet_Moon wrote:
FFXI burned me out on playing with foreigners.

Yeah I know how you feel. On PSO, I had no issues with JP players. Most of them were pretty cool. But then when I started FFXI, I was in for a world of shock when I came across many an elitist, American-hating JP player.

I know what you mean. It was only in FFXI that I had JP players shout at me "**** NA KILL NA" when we were trying to kill Notorious Monsters (true story).

Being an Importer right now, even though my Japanese isn't perfect, whenever I do happen to go into a Japanese party and end up in a situation where I do have to say something, I just tell them I'm learning Japanese and I don't know alot yet. They're usually very nice after that, using a bit of english to communicate or trying to break down their japanese a bit. I've tried that when I played in FFXI and got very uh... nasty results >.>

TheAlchemist
May 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
Is it possible for JP players to be on PC/PS2 servers?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheAlchemist on 2007-05-13 10:36 ]</font>

Sychosis
May 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
On 2007-05-13 10:34, TheAlchemist wrote:

Sure it is. Buy the game, make an account, pay up, and off you go.

Eleina
May 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
On 2007-05-13 10:38, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-05-13 10:34, TheAlchemist wrote:

Sure it is. Buy the game, make an account, pay up, and off you go.

So true rofl

Kent
May 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
I love all the nonsensical JP-bashing from people who supposedly played FFXI. It's so great and exaggerated. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

People who only spoke Japanese didn't have a problem with me at all. I ended up getting a lot more good parties that were mostly-Japanese, and quite a few parties that, despite speaking English (to an extent, anyway...), were mostly-ass.

FFXI had an auto-translator. Type in a game-relevant word, hit tab, and it brings up a list of words matching or starting with what you typed, that it can automatically translate for you. It did what it did quite well, and was more than enough to patch enough holes in the language barrier, to make teamwork between people of different languages easy.

And guess what? JP players have pretty much always been more than happy to try and use it. The "JP ONRY" stereotype is actually quite rare.

PSO's word-select wasn't nearly as good, though. It was designed around being used by a controller, which was really what made it too clunky to use well. However, PSU has no such feature, and such a thing would be too code-heavy to try and implement now, especially since Sonic Team made the mistake of putting the game on the PS2 (no HDD support), where it can't be patched.

...So no, I don't see a server connection coming any time soon, because of that. It wouldn't really make sense, if people had basically no means of communication between languages, unless they actually knew the language beforehand.

Mutt12
May 13, 2007, 10:06 PM
On 2007-05-13 11:04, Kent wrote:
I love all the nonsensical JP-bashing from people who supposedly played FFXI. It's so great and exaggerated. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Been playing FFXI for three years here. And I wouldn't say greatly exaggerated. I have been treated shabbily on several occasions by certain selected JP players who think the game is theirs and theirs alone.

And yes, indeed there are decent people among the JP players, and on the other hand, there's also snobby elitist US players (Which, I might suggest, if you play FFXI on the PS2, for the love of God don't advertize it).

But we're getting off topic here.

LTrav2k
May 13, 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure I'd use FFXI as an example, because the entire community became rough as the game progressed.

When the US first got a hold of the game, the Japanese already had a head start. Back in the beginning, the Japanese would group with most anyone who didn't play like a moron. (lol, the first linkshell I became a part of was a JP/US Alliance) I was in plenty of parties simply because I learned how to skill chain very early. I was actually in more Japanese groups than American groups until I hit 32. (right outside of Norg, man I loved some 300% TP Sneak Attack > Combo). It probably helped that Japanese was my minor in college, but just like other high end players... a lot of Japanese players got a bad taste in their mouth when people would show up in a PT without their spells or with really shabby gear.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this topic and he remembered when the some JP players mailed a whm stona because he didn't have it and that wiped a party. The lack of preparation eventually made it so they just didn't trust a majority of us and a lot of late starters ended up having to prove themselves and never saw the generocity of the Japanese like when we first arrived.

If you played around their time and they realized you knew your job, knew how to skillchain, knew how to mitigate hate/stay out of trouble... the same ones would try and get a hold of you and that made for great morning PTs. I had more trouble out of average US players (some were even trash) who had a snotty know-it-all attitude from reading forums than anyone else on the game.

If you played Everquest I and showed that you had no idea what you were doing, you were quickly blacklisted and good luck getting anything done in that game until your name was cleared by someone else. On that same token, if you did something sensational... people took notice. You fought for your reputation, and then fought to keep it.

My answer to the question however, I wouldn't mind if the servers merged... but Sega may as well go with whatever the majority wants since money makes a lot of decisions.

Oops, that didn't answer the question... probably not http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif