PDA

View Full Version : What PSU is rly missing IMO...

Zarbolord
May 15, 2007, 11:56 AM
Different areas. Its always the same, foresty/labish/deserty things. There's no seaside (AoI shows promise) there's no underwater base, no water enemies, no volcanic lava places (no firebreak does NOT count). I mean the variation of some areas from others is just 0. The relics all look alike.. add some differences no? they're on different planets. Mizuraki reserve just does NOT seem to have more than one mountain with the same fauna and flora. I mean come on we're at a stage where games can manage more stuff. Yes I'm just adding ideas, don't start yelling at me cos u think I'm whining, cos I'm not, just proposing.

Eleina
May 15, 2007, 12:02 PM
It's true that some place could do with a little "originality" like tunnel recapture which leads to the ice lobby could have some like ice effects in the cave etc etc

ChronoTrigga
May 15, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'd like to see a misson that takes place in Cylez city. For instance, you start on the bottom floor and work your way up to the top taking out monsters on each floor. Kind of like when in MMORPGs towns get overrun with monsters, like on Halloween in Ragnarok Online, they flood Prontera with monsters of the highest calibur.

Sychosis
May 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
On 2007-05-15 09:56, Zarbolord wrote:
What PSU is rly missing IMO...

Vowels?

Zarbolord
May 15, 2007, 12:43 PM
Most places are just too redundant, I liked how they changed areas hugely in pso, from forest to caves then mines and ruins, it gave that "we're going far" feeling. From MC to MB I just feel like I've steeped out ofd the city >.>

McLaughlin
May 15, 2007, 12:47 PM
On 2007-05-15 10:41, Sychosis wrote:

Vowels?

Dammit! I was going to say that!

Shiro_Ryuu
May 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
On 2007-05-15 10:41, Sychosis wrote:

Vowels?

N, nt rly

Jakosifer
May 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
No, PSU is missing Scythe weapons. Thats what its missing.

ZodiacNKnight
May 15, 2007, 01:13 PM
Different areas. Its always the same, foresty/labish/deserty things. There's no seaside (AoI shows promise) there's no underwater base, no water enemies, no volcanic lava places (no firebreak does NOT count). I mean the variation of some areas from others is just 0. The relics all look alike.. add some differences no? they're on different planets. Mizuraki reserve just does NOT seem to have more than one mountain with the same fauna and flora. I mean come on we're at a stage where games can manage more stuff. Yes I'm just adding ideas, don't start yelling at me cos u think I'm whining, cos I'm not, just proposing.

I don't know about you but the fire event does constitute for a difference.
Ice places such as Neudaiz Forzen forest, temple, and Moatoob Icelands will not be out for quite some time but that will make a difference.

I don't see what the problem is...
Go play offline if you can't wait.

PSU has a hell of a lot of more places than PSO did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-05-15 11:17 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
May 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
They're missing ice levels, as well as actualy forest lvls. Where, there's a ton of trees
and such. Forest Infiltration does not count.

McLaughlin
May 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
On 2007-05-15 11:44, RyukiZero wrote:
They're missing ice levels, as well as actualy forest lvls. Where, there's a ton of trees
and such. Forest Infiltration does not count.

"It's missing Volcano levels (No, the Fire Break Event doesn't count)..."

So basically, it doesn't have any of the things you want, except for the stages that do have what you want. But obviously those don't count because then you'd have no point.

Eleina
May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
Gawick's really need to have beer on sale ><

Sychosis
May 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
This game needs a Space Colony, and no the Guardian's Colony doesn't count.

Eleina
May 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
On 2007-05-15 11:53, Sychosis wrote:
This game needs a Space Colony, and no the Guardian's Colony doesn't count.

Go and start a colony in the hive?

Zorafim
May 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
It's missing combat ready outfits for fleshies, that's what it's missing.

As for areas, I'm sure more will be added soon. Things are getting redundant, but if you explore with friends rather than camp for MP, you can get a nice variety. I'm sure alot more will be added in later expansions, too.

-Ryuki-
May 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
We'll start in Eleina's room, since Eleina has the beer.
Granted, I don't drink, but it'd be funny to toss them out
the window and watch Eleina jump out the window, after them.

Eleina
May 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
On 2007-05-15 11:57, RyukiZero wrote:
We'll start in Eleina's room, since Eleina has the beer.
Granted, I don't drink, but it'd be funny to toss them out
the window and watch Eleina jump out the window, after them.

><!!! *Punts ryuki into space*

-Ryuki-
May 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
-Dodges and punts Eleina out of her own room.- <3

Akaimizu
May 15, 2007, 02:25 PM
When I saw the topic, I was thinking they were stating that PSU is missing Owls!! As with most earth-based creatures, it is definitely missing the Owls. RLY!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-15 12:25 ]</font>

spookeysmoker
May 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
What PSU really needs are players who dont complain about the game so damn much.....

McLaughlin
May 15, 2007, 02:33 PM
On 2007-05-15 12:30, spookeysmoker wrote:
What PSU really needs are players who dont complain about the game so damn much.....

You are far too intelligent to be here. You need not worry yourself with the cries of the peasants, sire.

spookeysmoker
May 15, 2007, 02:37 PM
Nah im just saying people complain so much about this game......yet they keep playing.I wish people would be actually happy with the gameplay it better than PSO.It might not have that same charm but sega has one their job to keep me playing for over 500hrs lol.

Mutt12
May 15, 2007, 02:40 PM
What the game is really missing is... word wrap.

That's about the only complaint I really have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mutt12 on 2007-05-15 12:43 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
On 2007-05-15 12:40, Mutt12 wrote:

Agreed. And a less homosexual censor on the 360 version.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what bad word could POSSIBLY be derived from "help" and "problem".

Garanz-Baranz
May 15, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'll say It's missing the feeling of SAVING someones fat arse... like we can't save people... Oh, wait! there's a story missoion for that! but what about ib parties?! Give us some fat ass person, or give us some really pretty little girl to save![NO NOT LUMIA!!!]

Retehi
May 15, 2007, 03:03 PM
It's missing UT's headshot voiceover.

MT7218
May 15, 2007, 03:30 PM

Agreed. This is my main problem with this game. Too many complainers, too many whiners, too many elitists. That is what really ruins the fun of the game for me. Just learn how to have fun, people.

Outside of that, there would only be one small complaint I would like to make. There needs to be a rebalance of the enemy elements. Fire enemies are everywhere, with only the HIVE and the annoying to reach Agata Relics being exceptions to this. I'd like to see more Earth, Ice, and to an extent, Light enemies around. Add some lightning enemies in there too, as they are fairly rare as well, despite that they populate the most played areas of the game.

fumatanera
May 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
[/quote]

Agreed. And a less homosexual censor on the 360 version.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what bad word could POSSIBLY be derived from "help" and "problem".

[/quote]

herpes and prophylactic, obviously. so remember next time you need "help" because there is a "problem" just yell "i have herpes i need a prophlactic!!"....everyone will know exactly what you mean

O_o?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fumatanera on 2007-05-15 13:32 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
May 15, 2007, 04:45 PM
Jackassery

I understand what the OP means. Basically, there's no real diversty or uniqueness to the levels. They all just look like pallete swaps of the same areas over and over again, just with a different room configuration. It's like the old dungeon crawlers on the PC where you could go from one floor to the next, to the next. Sure the colors on the wall and the map configuration would change a bit - but the levels themsevles were all basically the same. Fire event? Yeah.. another pallet swap.

In contrast to PSO, many of the levels even within the same area felt extremely different due to not only having different textures, but their own unique archetectures - often with recognisable landmarks that made them unique - such as the Ruins Window room, the Engine Room, The Underground Waterfall, ect. They didn't reuse old areas for new missions, aside from the sporatic online quest. In PSU... every relics looks the same, every lab looks the same, every COG temple looks the same. There's nothing really unique that when you go into a certain temple or certain lab that lets you immediately know "Hey, This is the Photon Reactor under Mellvore!, or Hey! This is the Illimunius Lab.

He's complaining about recycled, rehashed, content - which I agree was a very cheap and lazy way to go with PSU. If they would have put as much care in making the levels as different and unique as the player lobbies, then you wouldn't be having this problem.

Mutt12
May 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
On 2007-05-15 14:45, Sinue_v2 wrote:
He's complaining about recycled, rehashed, content - which I agree was a very cheap and lazy way to go with PSU. If they would have put as much care in making the levels as different and unique as the player lobbies, then you wouldn't be having this problem.

I play Capcom 2D fighting games. I'm used to it. ^_^

JAFO22000
May 15, 2007, 05:40 PM
Agreed. This is my main problem with this game. Too many complainers...

Outside of that, there would only be one small complaint I would like to make....

THAT was funny!!

On 2007-05-15 14:45, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Jackassery

I understand what the OP means. Basically, there's no real diversty or uniqueness to the levels. They all just look like pallete swaps of the same areas over and over again, just with a different room configuration.

OK, let's see:

1. Mad Creatures = Plains Overlord = Mad Beasts

2. Sleeping Warriors = Denes Relics = Agata Relics (layouts are different for the most part, but scenery is the same)

Crimson Beast is an combination of the above.

3. Sealab = Endrum Remnants

4. Mizuraki Defense = Demons Above = Moonlight Beast (I'll give you this one, even though it is at night!)

5. Forested Islands = Rainbow Beast = Eastern Peril = Forest Infiltration

6. Grove of Fanatics

7. System Defense = Desert Terror (again, even though it's at night!)

8. Valley of Carnage = Mine Defense

9. Tunnel Recapture = Rogue's Shortcut = Desert Goliath(??)(Maghana mission)

10. HIVE = Seed Awakened

11. Unsafe Passage = FFF

12. Subway

Only 12 unique levels....

It's like the old dungeon crawlers on the PC where you could go from one floor to the next, to the next. Sure the colors on the wall and the map configuration would change a bit - but the levels themsevles were all basically the same. Fire event? Yeah.. another pallet swap.

While I agree, they are similar, they are not wholly the same either. I do agree that they could've given us more configurations of each level to vary them up. I hate playing story mode and seeing the exact same level look-wise, only with different rooms and different configurations. They can do this online too and have, say, 20-30 different configs for each level. THAT would be nice.

Chuck_Norris
May 15, 2007, 05:44 PM
they need a mission were you go into the pub get drunk and have a bar fight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuck_norris on 2007-05-15 15:46 ]</font>

VanHalen
May 15, 2007, 06:09 PM

<3

I could've sworn these kind of topics were so 2 months ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-05-15 16:10 ]</font>

Niered
May 15, 2007, 06:11 PM

people that play a wide variety of missions?

Parn
May 15, 2007, 06:31 PM
Crimson Beast is one of the few PSU missions where you get to see unique landmarks, basically all in block 3. Being able to see the entrance to the relics, and that big old crater in the ground was neat.

majorgamer55
May 15, 2007, 06:31 PM
you guys cna vote at this one poll i made but it doesnt include all of your ideas sorry

Chuck_Norris
May 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
yeah if only we knew what made the crater.

physic
May 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
they have a number of landmarks they havent used, from offline mode story if i remember correctly, they also havent even really used pallete swaps enough as far as backgrounds imo, but fact is its way more than pso. pso had
forest 1 forest 2 essentially the same
caves 1
caves 2
caves3 each could be said to have a different feel
mine 1
mine 2 essentially a pallete swap with differentlayout but i ll give it different enough
ruins 1 ruins 2 essentailly same
ruins3
so lets say 8 different zones, but in these zones very little difference in the reconfigurations

I guess teh difference is they built a certain level of drama in and the story missions gave you a lil feel for the game. The levels followed a narrative, as you go from one level to the next further in the mission, more sinister as it went on.
difference is here we are basically on random missions through out a universe no real drama built in like that, it makes sense but maybe we could use with more drama, more connection within the planets though we definately have more variety than pso ver 1 did. would be nice if there were a couple different reskins for certain areas which make them actually look like they progres to the other, and differences of place.

A2K
May 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
PSO wasn't any better with this. Yes, there were more striking contrasts between stages, but inevitably the number of actually unique areas was just as limited at first (and later expanded upon).

In PSO Episode 1, there were only at the most three or four layouts for each of the nine or so unique areas (Forest and other "surface" stages had just one), while in PSU any given region often has six or more. Several areas did have unique rooms, but those are still present--they're player lobbies now, though.

PSO had a one palette swap for each of Episode 1's stages. There were none for Episode II or IV. PSU has often has several for each area (among which are night, daytime, sunrise, sunset, and fire/ice SEED contaminations).

We could always go further back with this, too, of course. Relics sites looking the same? What about every single techno dungeon in PS4? I think there were at least "six" of those!

natewifi
May 15, 2007, 07:56 PM
The main thing that I really want, would be the old lobby but would be an all
around lobby that where you make your party and choose what mission from
there instead of having to make a long ass hike to that mission, and it would
be exactly the same, no alterations or anything like that, with the same music
and different lobby themes in each universe or to make it so everyone can be
in the same, you just choose which lobby instead like it was. (that and P v P,
P v P is what I would want more than anything, im sorry everyone but
competition is fun (imo), and P v P is the best kind (I miss fighting on the beach in ultimate))

gundam0079
May 15, 2007, 07:58 PM
I WANT RUINS AS AN AREA!!!!!! I WANT A SPACE MISSION BESIDES HIVE!!!!!!! jk those would be nice though

Jenova34
May 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
This game is really nice, but I think sega should raise the drop rate for S ranks. I killed like 500 polavohra, and 0 drops.

Sega should inform us about the weaps we can find (I know since 1 month ago about we can get a Blackbull on goliath runs!) and about the drop rate.

With this drop rate, It will be nice if we fail an S rank synthesis to get the board again, and loose only materials (and awaited time). I know some guys who lost S rank boards on synths and they are feeling depress :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jenova34 on 2007-05-15 18:17 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
May 15, 2007, 08:38 PM
yeah if only we knew what made the crater.

Play Storymode.

PSO wasn't any better with this

True, to an extent - but you could generally differenciate between the areas by landmarks. PSO was littered with little nick-nacks, like the underground waterfall, streams and rivers, lava flows, vantagepoint cliffs, scaffolding to run along, the engine room, ect, all of which define and make the environments more unique and enjoyable. PSU shows very little of this differenciation within it's areas. You can (and the game does) cram maps from Mad Beasts, Plains Overlord, and Mad Creatures all together into a new mission - and really not tell the difference at all. Forest, Seabed, Mines, ect, from PSO suffered from this, but not so much other areas like Caves, Ruins, CCA, ect.

We could always go further back with this, too, of course. Relics sites looking the same? What about every single techno dungeon in PS4? I think there were at least "six" of those!

Ok.. but that game was developed in like 1994 when cart space was extremely limited, and that was the general design standard of RPG's in it's day. PSU came out in 2006, 12 years later. I would hope more progress than that would have been made you know.

Mutt12
May 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
On 2007-05-15 18:38, Sinue_v2 wrote:
True, to an extent - but you could generally differenciate between the areas by landmarks. PSO was littered with little nick-nacks, like the underground waterfall, streams and rivers, lava flows, vantagepoint cliffs, scaffolding to run along, the engine room, ect, all of which define and make the environments more unique and enjoyable. PSU shows very little of this differenciation within it's areas. You can (and the game does) cram maps from Mad Beasts, Plains Overlord, and Mad Creatures all together into a new mission - and really not tell the difference at all. Forest, Seabed, Mines, ect, from PSO suffered from this, but not so much other areas like Caves, Ruins, CCA, ect.

Me and my friends came up with a term for this. We call it "Chocobo's Dungeon Syndrome". Where everything looks the same and maps and parts of maps (in random generated dungeon games such as PSO) are recycled over and over. You see it in a lot of 'dungeon crawler' type of games. Especially Evolution (Dreamcast/Gamecube), Diablo, ect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mutt12 on 2007-05-15 18:50 ]</font>

Palefire
May 15, 2007, 08:56 PM
On 2007-05-15 12:40, Mutt12 wrote:

Yep. Word wrap is the only thing that really bugs me. I've found work-arounds, but it's still a pain.

Jeremiah
May 15, 2007, 09:04 PM
What this game clearly needs more of...

is...

More cowbell. Discussion finished.

Sinue_v2
May 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
http://seoblog.intrapromote.com/more_cowbell.jpg

Did someone say more Cowbell!?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-05-15 20:49 ]</font>

Mutt12
May 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
On 2007-05-15 18:56, Palefire wrote:
Yep. Word wrap is the only thing that really bugs me. I've found work-arounds, but it's still a pain.

Yeah, so you're sacrificing precious letter space for nice looking word bubbles. They should just have a log window at the bottom of the screen and do away with bubble chat once and for all.

Palefire
May 15, 2007, 09:27 PM
On 2007-05-15 19:04, Jeremiah wrote:
What this game clearly needs more of...

is...

More cowbell. Discussion finished.

I would have been honestly surprised if this reference hadn't been made.

On 2007-05-15 19:07, Mutt12 wrote:
Yeah, so you're sacrificing precious letter space for nice looking word bubbles. They should just have a log window at the bottom of the screen and do away with bubble chat once and for all.

It's not so much the word bubbles as that the settings are for kanji as opposed to the Roman alphabet. It could have been adjusted for English and other Western languages, but either it was a huge oversight or else Sega didn't think it was necessary.

It's just short-sightenedess on their part for not optimising the game for Western languages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Palefire on 2007-05-15 19:29 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
May 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
we need a jetpack unit, that lets you fly all around the stage and shoot fire at enemys.

Jeremiah
May 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
^ I'm amazed you're not requesting a a roundhouse kick PA.

In fact I'm appalled. Chuck Norris you are not.

Mayu
May 15, 2007, 10:59 PM
Scythe, That is all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Chuck_Norris
May 15, 2007, 11:17 PM
im not asking for a roundouse kick PA cause if i used it the server would crash from the pure awesome.

-Ryuki-
May 15, 2007, 11:52 PM
Lawl. Literally. "More Cowbell!"

Zorafim
May 16, 2007, 12:33 AM
The beauty of the roundhouse is its simple design. Anyone could roundhouse, it just takes effort to make a perfect roundhouse. Knowing how to roundhouse and roundhousing a man to death are two different things.

Mio
May 16, 2007, 05:11 AM
More stages: different enviroments
Dual Mechguns or Assault Rifle
More Ranged Damage!!!

Tekershee
May 16, 2007, 05:17 AM
I swear U was a vowel :/

GreenArcher
May 16, 2007, 07:34 AM
PSU is only missing one thing.

Please bring back word select. < Sega

Jasam
May 16, 2007, 01:17 PM
Word select was cool.... So was linked servers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

But more importantly, its the uniqueness that ever area had, the piller rooms, waterfalls, and other things which you could use to identiy what map you were one, as every area had at least 4 combinations for each part.
Also box rooms and the dreaded momomate box trap.
And the areas that actualy took a good hour or so to do (ruins/seabed)
And dieing without punishment, it was always fun trying to take out Falz with a grossly underleveled party (shame they restricted it in BB)

Mutt12
May 16, 2007, 05:01 PM
On 2007-05-15 22:33, Zorafim wrote:
The beauty of the roundhouse is its simple design. Anyone could roundhouse, it just takes effort to make a perfect roundhouse. Knowing how to roundhouse and roundhousing a man to death are two different things.

Why do we need a roundhouse? We got the Captain Kirk donkey kick!

Zorafim
May 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
I said nothing about needing one, only that it takes years of practice to create a roundhouse of ultimate destruction.