PDA

View Full Version : Almost got scammed

omegapirate2k
May 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
So, anywho, I've been looking for a part time job lately and I came up with a rather promising lead, Vector marketing.

http://www.vectormarketing.com/

I look at the ad on one of the employment sites I've been browsing lately, and I like what I see, nearly $15 an hour, flexible schedule, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, they said it was in customer service, so I assume I answer customer questions over the phone, no biggie.

So, I call up the office, and they say I can come in for an interview at 5:00PM today.

I come in (a little bit late, and I had to park in a random parking lot because I was in a rush), and walk up the stairs to a somewhat bare office, I go upstairs and I go in for a preliminary interview, we talk for a while and he says he likes what he sees and invites me to stay for a secondary group interview.

So a few minutes pass and we do the group interview, and he explains a bit about training, and what the reps do. Now HERE things got a little bit fishy, instead of doing phone work, what I would be doing was going to peoples homes, but he said that it wasn't door to door, it was simply going in to demonstrate the product to potential customers who've arranged an appointment, ok, I could live with that.

Then he does a live demonstration of the product (basically high quality kitchen knives), and he calls me to assist him in doing it. I help and then we continue on with the pay. Apparently pay isn't for hours, it's for every appointment you do (which take approximately an hour, to be fair, but this doesn't account for DRIVING back and forth, nor are you paid for the gas you use) or you can get paid a percentage of how much of the product you sell (up to 30% of $12000 worth, but its weekly, so GOOD luck getting that much) depending which is higher.

So finally he calls us into his office one by one and tells us if we got the job or not, he calls me in first (big surprise), and tells me I got the job. At this point I was pretty happy and I left the office and continued on my way home, I saw a parking ticket on my car, but hell, its ok, I got the job right?

So I get home, and talk to my dad about it a bit, he pretty much tells me its most likely a scam, as most businesses like that are. This got me a bit curious, so I googled "Vector marketing scam", and look what I found, 985000 results.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=vector+marketing+scam&btnG=Search&meta=

Great, now I need to look for another part time job.

And I'm out $40 now, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-05-15 21:18 ]</font>

VioletSkye
May 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry about the $40 but Vector/Cutco has been around for a long time recruiting people to buy/sell their knives. They tell EVERYONE that they got the job http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif A friend of mine back about 10 years ago was telling me about it and I told him back then that it was not going to be the great job they wanted him to think it was and that it was most likely a scam. There are lots of companies that have the same marketing/business model and they all aren't worth the time to even look at. The worst part is, they try to get you to pimp the knives on family and friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2007-05-15 21:27 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 15, 2007, 11:26 PM
XD

Only you Omega. Only you.

omegapirate2k
May 15, 2007, 11:28 PM
On 2007-05-15 21:25, VioletSkye wrote:
Sorry about the $40 but Vector/Cutco has been around for a long time recruiting people to buy/sell their knives. They tell EVERYONE that they got the job http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif A friend of mine back about 10 years ago was telling me about it and I told him back then that it was not going to be the great job they wanted him to think it was and that it was most likely a scam. There are lots of companies that have the same marketing/business model and they all aren't worth the time to even look at.

I know, I read more into it, and apparently they have reps attend interviews so they can make themselves look like a high demand job.

I wonder how many of the people in there with me were just poor saps or there to make me look special.

Africa
May 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
wow thats something. I should consider myself lucky cause they just turned me away at my interview. But you should be very weary of customer service jobs that aren't for well known companies. If your looking for CS type jobs try the phone or cable co. Then there's always retail....depending on your tolerance of ppl, repetitivity, and personality. Sounds like your lucky tho Iknow they usually go for students.

VioletSkye
May 15, 2007, 11:38 PM
On 2007-05-15 21:29, Africa wrote:
wow thats something. I should consider myself lucky cause they just turned me away at my interview. But you should be very weary of customer service jobs that aren't for well known companies. If your looking for CS type jobs try the phone or cable co. Then there's always retail....depending on your tolerance of ppl, repetitivity, and personality. Sounds like your lucky tho Iknow they usually go for students.

They turned you away huh? Did they say why? They usually "hire" anyone with the hope that you will at least try to sell to family and friends (after you've paid for the demo knives of course lol)

omegapirate2k
May 15, 2007, 11:39 PM
On 2007-05-15 21:38, VioletSkye wrote:
They usually "hire" anyone with the hope that you will at least try to sell to family and friends

Actually, the second part of the training program is doing "practice demonstrations" with family/friends XD

Africa
May 15, 2007, 11:40 PM

DikkyRay
May 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
At first i thought this was going to be about PSU.
but then i thought, "No, not Omega!"
But that sucks. Its a bitch looking for a job....

Schubalts
May 16, 2007, 04:18 PM
I've gotten 2 letters from them! Dad talked me out of the first interview(more like I have no car and screw taking the boss that far away), and I just ignored the second letter. Sucks you got that ticket, though.

Solstis
May 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
A roomate of mine did that. She also did Mary Kay. We told her, but nooo

Mystil
May 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
This is almost similar to how Publix, Walmart and K-Mart treated me......(the part about having the job but not)

Solstis
May 16, 2007, 07:33 PM
At least grocery stores aren't pyramid schemes (though Vector is a more advanced variety).