PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC/PS2: Beast Fortegunner Advice needed.

ChronoTrigga
May 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
Ok, so here's the thing. I'm making a new female Beast Fortegunner (ranger so far). And she is going to specialize in Twin Handguns (2 each), Laser Cannons (2 each) and possibly between 2 shotguns or 2 of those Launcher type weapons that shoot the ball (I forget the name, I've never played a ranger class). Any tips on what PA's I should get? Any help is appreciated.

-ChronoTrigga

Miyoko
May 15, 2007, 11:36 PM
My advice? Don't be a beast fortegunner.

Someone had to say it, now let the flame war roll in... ;p

Though if you're adamant about being a fortegunner... Dark is nice for anything, really. I use a dark prism for my laser cannon, though lazars tend to be looked down upon. The ultimate PA for the laser cannon is quite good though, I hear. dark, shock, earth for the shottie most likely. Fire, dark... anything but ice for the grenade launcher, though fire and dark are probably your best bets (However, your accuracy with a grenade launcher on a beast is going to be very, very bad).

There aren't really any bad choices for dual handguns, I don't think. Except maybe fire. Fire SE2 is rather meh.

... Though I find it odd you're not going to use rifles... That's pretty much the key weapon to a fortegunner...

ChronoTrigga
May 15, 2007, 11:41 PM
Hmm.....so maybe my pallette will be as follows.....

-Twin Guns
-Twin Guns
-Rifle
-Rifle
-Shotgun
-Lazer Cannon

But what element to put where.....hmm.

Edit: I don't care what people think. I just feel like having a Beast fortegunner. lol Sure it may not be smart, but I like a challenge, much like how Fomars were a challenge to raise in PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Handsock on 2007-05-15 21:42 ]</font>

Miyoko
May 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ice
Shock
Fire
Ice (Or replace one of the rifles with dark. Whichever works)
Shock / Earth / Light
Ice / earth / shock / dark / Ultimate is probably best.

Though I can't really speak to dualies, I don't use them too much...

Cz
May 15, 2007, 11:44 PM
wat elements are depending on where you want to play often.
-Twin Guns - Ice bullet
-Twin Guns - Ice bullet
- Rifle - Fire bullet
- Rifle - Dark bullet
- Lazer Cannon - i didnt like using this weapon so watever element you like or use the ult. PA bullet to knock enemies around.

ChronoTrigga
May 15, 2007, 11:46 PM
What's the ULT PA bullet do? I actually haven't achieved any ULT PA's due to the fact that I just came back like 2 weeks ago and still haven't gathered any Fragments on my lvl 50 ChronoTrigga yet.

Cz
May 15, 2007, 11:48 PM
the ult. bullet for Laser Cannon does knock back damage to enemies. The ult. bullet for twin pistols lower def. The ult. bullet for rifle have a chance to instant kill enemies with low STA.

ChronoTrigga
May 15, 2007, 11:49 PM
Nice, thanks for the tips. I think i'm all set. Now its time to bump and grind De Ragons booty.

-ChronoTrigga

Miyoko
May 15, 2007, 11:53 PM
I personally wouldn't have two of the same weapon with identical elements on them in your inventory. It's fine to have weapons for backup purposes, but if you really need to, you can use a photon charge, or enter your menu and switch PA's on a weapon before a fight / boss. I think it's more important to have multiple elements at your disposal that you can switch among on the fly, than to have backup items in your pallet.

... though really, we could give you all the advice in the world, and really, it comes down to your personal prefrence. ;p You can always try things and see what works best.

And by the way, if you haven't already, check out psupedia for information on guns, gun Pa's, and gun type SE levels. That might help you make up your mind as well.

ChronoTrigga
May 16, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I'd definately check out PSUpedia. But the site seems to be down like ..... 24/7. Right now though for my twin handguns I'm sticking with Ice until they are least lvl 20 then I might consider adding a new PA. The freeze effect that I get with ChronoTrigga on a lvl 50 Beast Fighunner pleases me well with the amount of times it actually freezes despite the bullet being like lvl 5. Much higher rate than my single handgun.

Miyoko
May 16, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well of course it has a higher rate of going off -- It shoots two bullets at once ;p

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:04 AM
if you like using twin pistols, i recommend you using crossbow as well. Crossbow at level 21+ is very deadly and has level 3 SE = more freezing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
This is the weapon type and element i use to solo Mad beast S2:
-rifle- fire bullet level 21+
-rifle- dark bullet level 21+
-xbow- ice bullet level 21+
-xbow- ice bullet level 21+
-shotgun- ice bullet level 21+
-mech gun- ground bullet 21+

and i carry 3-4 extra weapons of those type as well so that i wont run out of ammo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif That is how i solo Mad Beast with. That might help you a little i hope. ^__-

-Ryuki-
May 16, 2007, 12:06 AM
I say, play however the hell you want. Don't let anyone tell you something sucks.
Look at Rain. Rain's a Newman ProTranser, and he plays just as good as everyone else.
In any case.

Dualies
-Shock
-Light

Laser Cannon
-Dark
-Fire

Shotgun
-Ice
-Shock

Grenade Launcher
-Ground
-Light

Niered
May 16, 2007, 12:06 AM
Dammit, someone already said dont, oh well.

My advice? Since your damage output will be considerably high, your not going to need Burn/Infect nearly as bad as, oh say a newman fortegunner. Freeze wouldnt be a bad choice, shock would be as good, if not better.

Shotgun would be nice for a Beast as well, seeing as a point blank from 21+ is already amazing. And of course you need grenades. You cant really call yourself a fortegunner without abusing those.

Innominate
May 16, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm friends with Miyoko and I know she doesn't like the idea of a beast fortegunner. I myself play one and it does just fine.

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:12 AM
need proof?! Me and Kaiaphas solo Mad Beast together most of the time and we kick their butts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif And yes, Beast fortegunner do fine. They only have about 150 ata less than a Cast fortegunner, but they have more atp and hp than Cast in return. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Miyoko
May 16, 2007, 12:15 AM
On 2007-05-15 22:12, BunnyGirl wrote:
need proof?! Me and Kaiaphas solo Mad Beast together

... O rly? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Niered
May 16, 2007, 12:18 AM
They only have about 150 ata less than a Cast fortegunner,

So sometimes you hit them from behind, yes?

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:19 AM
On 2007-05-15 22:15, Miyoko wrote:

need proof?! Me and Kaiaphas solo Mad Beast together

... O rly? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

here is the picture. I didnt take many pictures and this is the only one i got...lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9093/psu20070514140317013jw6.png

Miyoko
May 16, 2007, 12:23 AM
Er, you kinda missed my point. I mean, it's not really soloing if you've got someone else there, ne? ;p

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:30 AM
On 2007-05-15 22:23, Miyoko wrote:
Er, you kinda missed my point. I mean, it's not really soloing if you've got someone else there, ne? ;p

fine, here you go. Me soloing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2406/psu20070514092904012copfj1.jpg

Niered
May 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
On 2007-05-15 22:30, BunnyGirl wrote:

On 2007-05-15 22:23, Miyoko wrote:

fine, here you go. Me soloing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2406/psu20070514092904012copfj1.jpg

Never before has more rape in liquid form coursed through my interweb pipe-age. Well, at least it would have had this screeny been taken 3 seconds later.

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:39 AM
the picture was taken last 2 days ago...lol. I also posted it on May screenshot. Although those are a lot of monsters they cant hit me cause there is like a barrier or something and they cant get in. Looks like i am surrounded, but i used them to level up my bullets as well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Niered
May 16, 2007, 12:40 AM
On 2007-05-15 22:39, BunnyGirl wrote:
the picture was taken last 2 days ago...lol. I also posted it on May screenshot. Although those are a lot of monsters they cant hit me cause there is like a barrier or something and they cant get in. Looks like i am surrounded, but i used them to level up my bullets as well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

This is easily the most useful thing I have heard all day, and I now retract the rape statement. =D

-Ryuki-
May 16, 2007, 12:43 AM
Duo-ing.

Cz
May 16, 2007, 12:43 AM
rape is such a strong word for me...lol. I dont intend to put myself in harms way just for your entertainment. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Siertes
May 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
Let's all solo together! Who wants to join my Mad Beast S2 solo party? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I personally wouldn't have two of the same weapon with identical elements on them in your inventory.

Oh man, that sounds like such a pain. I'm always doing that. I mean how many different weapons and elements do you need to run a mission with no trouble? I REALLY hate opening up the menu (except for map) during missions and also hate using Photon Charges.

Miyoko
May 16, 2007, 01:46 AM
I very, very rarely run a weapon dry, as I'm constantly switching among my pallet to suit the situation. Having multiple of the same weapon with the same element doesn't suit my play style, and as a result, I'm left with the benefit of having another element, and thus, another status effect and possible enemy weakness at my disposal.

A frozen + infected enemy is better than just a frozen enemy.

And if you hate using photon charges because of cost -- They drop quite frequently (1-3 a run) in eastern peril ;p

Cz
May 16, 2007, 01:48 AM
go solo Mad Beast S2 Miyoko and see if your weapons will never run dry...lol.

imfanboy
May 16, 2007, 02:32 AM
Hmm.

Well, recently, I've been doing a lot of gunning, and I can say this:

Crossbows are great.

What I would recommend:

Dark Rifle: The only rifle skill that you ACTUALLY need; since rifles are a pain and 3/4ths to level I'd focus on one until it's 21+. After that you can do whatever you want to; but I'd recommend replacing any rifle bullets you were planning to use for damage with dualie bullets, for reasons I'll explain below.

Ice Twins, and twins of any element you plan to fight bosses of: I was soloing Demons Above S recently, and i had an epiphany. Twin Handguns deals more damage to Onma's wings than rifles or bows do, and they're much quicker on the setup which allows you to dodge his attacks. So I got to thinking, what's the point of rifles for damage again? Twins do more damage faster, and they have FP mode which you need for bosses too. The only disadvantage is the range, and many bosses don't have any difference in the damage they can deal you between the range for rifles and the range for twins if you set yourself up right - I was just close enough to Onma that his fire fling missed me but just far enough away that he couldn't land on my head.

Light Crossbow & Fire Crossbow: Confuse, SE3 Confuse, will wreak havoc on spellcasters and melee mobs alike. Oh, shock is better on melee mobs IF you're only concerned about avoiding damage to yourself, but confuse means they deal damage to each other too. Nothing like seeing a Deljaban slash its good buddy halfway across the room. SE3 fire is important because it CAN affect many large mobs, and with 3 bullets you have a very nice chance of applying the SE even to Tengouhgs and larger. Also, it'll reapply fast on smaller mobs, and because burn does very quick damage you'll take 'em down faster. I recently discarded my virus crossbow for burn and I'm quite happy with the results.

Grenades: Get ice and burn. Ice is for damage; it will mess De Ragan up like you wouldn't believe, and do a number on De Ragnus as well as several other large bosses (not so much Onma because he's bullet-immune except in his wings, but...) Burn is there for the same reason that Burn is on the crossbow: it gets SE3 and can affect large monsters. One of my friends and I ripped through Galenganire Mines S2 because he could burn the Kog Nadds AND tip them over. Knockdown/stun is the most important thing that a Fortegunner can offer to a group, especially if they're having trouble with big monsters like Kajigabara, Kog Nadds, Kamitozes, or any amount of big nasties. Hint: dropping a grenade BEHIND an enemy will hit their rear, where they have no evp at all! Who needs ATA when you can "take 'em from behind!" as we beasts love to do!

Lasers: Don't. If you like them, save up and get Mayalee Prism; it's a very very very good PA indeed, but lasers fire slower than rifles and deal medium damage without a good SE. It'd be better to just dive into the mob, blast them with crossbows, then then knock them away with grenades. Mayalee Prism, on the other hand, is incredibly awesome. It acts just like the grenades do, in that it knockbacks enemies within its ray of effect or stuns them if they can't be knocked back, but it fires faster than the GL AND the ray starts with your own body. The greatest frustration with grenades is the fact that it always goes to medium range; kinda hard to keep those worms above ground when you're far away from 'em!

Shotguns: Er... yeah. They can deal more damage than crossbows, but leave you a lot more vulnerable. I have the ice Shotgun PA at level 26, but I haven't touched it since December. If you like them, don't let me stop you from using them though! They do have style, I can't deny.

Melee: Get a decent dagger and get Buten Shuren-Zan. Get Dus Daggas as well if you have good spears already; there are several bosses and enemies which are bullet resistant but a spear in the hands of a fortegunner can make 'em say uncle. Use Buten on enemies that have only one target area, and Daggas on enemies that have multiple target areas, or that would be dangerous if you staggered them like Bil De Vears - though really, Buten can be good for both.

Ultimate PAs: Killer shot is vital. It turns any areas with robots from "OMFG how do we do this" to "Whee! Lookit 'em die!" Mayalee Prism is very good as well, for reasons detailed above. Yak Zagenga (the ult crossbow PA) in the hands of a beast could turn you into a helluva DPS MACHINE - depending on how good you are at dodging while at low life. Twin Mayalee is a quick way to both tag enemies and give them a nice SE - in this case Zalure, which means you deal more damage. If you're afraid of missing, you might get the ult shotgun PA; Zodeel helps my beast Protranser out a lot but TBH as a beast fortegunner you probably won't need a bit of it.

To help yourself out with that PA shopping list, try doing some of the story missions on A-rank once you get a character past 60. Earning an S-rank on one of those nets you 10 PA frags; a lot of them are quick and easy too.

And that's my take on the essential PAs of Fortegunners. Your mileage and opinions may vary.

ChronoTrigga
May 16, 2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the post imfanboy. I'll definately take into effect your strategies. *Copies & Pastes*

I'm only asking all this because I'm a complete newb when it comes to Rangers on PSU. I've only played Ramarl in PSO and she only made it to lvl 35....lol I was more of the hunewearl player. But I'm trying something different from a change from melee. Probably gonna only get Rising Strike for PA due to the knock up feature incase any baddies get close.