PDA

View Full Version : "Endless Nightmare" or "Has anyone seen where my deaths went

Yoshiflash
May 19, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is one of those "what this game needs" type threads.

Remember Endless Nightmare?

Now I'm not saying we need exactly that, but I think something we do need is more areas that you can't just step away from or hide from enemies in.

The biggest thing that makes this game too easy is that you always have the option of not engaging the enemy.

Why arent there rooms that lock behind you forcing you to kill everything without being able to just run away if you need to change traps, heal, swap palette etc?

The lack of real challenge is getting a bit annoying. I really thought it would change eventually but no. It doesn't matter what level Sega makes the creatures if you can just stand behind a tree, or walk out of the room/ area whenever you feel threatened.

It's like they didn't even test out half of the areas with all the "safe zones".

Basically I just want to walk through a gate, have it lock behind me, and be forced to kill or be killed by whats inside. Maybe my memory is bad but didn't the previous installments all have a lot of areas like that? I just really don't remember it being this easy and wishy-washy. "Oh, I need to light a cig so I'll just take 2 steps back."

My current Endless Nightmare is this endless barrage of senselessly nonthreatening stages.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-05-19 13:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-05-19 13:41 ]</font>

Tykwa
May 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
It's not that it's hard but they put harder and harder monsters in, all you have to do is just sidestep or predict what there doing, after awhile there's no skill involved at all, we don't need harder monsters, we need to give the monsters some new moves or somthing atleast, it's all about if you get hit, your pretty much dead already.

Sinue_v2
May 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
The lack of real challenge is getting a bit annoying.

Sega's idea of more challenge is just faster enemies, higher DEF, and most importantly - more Megid 1-hit kills.

Eh... at least online mode isn't as easy as offline mode. Kinda sad how in previous games, you could barely step out of town without getting horribly raped by flies - yet you can just shoot through PSU without any real effort.

(Aside, of course, from the effort it takes some to actually play storyline mode for the sole purpose of getting goodies in Extra mode. Though I personally enjoy the offline mode despite it's numerous shortcommings)

Sychosis
May 19, 2007, 03:43 PM
PSO was even worse regarding safe zones. Thanks to doors, every room had a safe zone. It was almost as if the monsters in PSO were afraid of getting pinched fingers in the doorway.

I only know of one "kill or be killed" scenario in PSU, during Holy Grounds.

Yoshiflash
May 19, 2007, 03:50 PM
Another thing that bothers me in regards to the topic is.

There isn't one single item or stat or ANYTHING, that requires a person show any skill in order to acquire it.

There is nothing at all to brag over in this game. And you know how we MMOers like to brag.

Tykwa
May 19, 2007, 04:39 PM
Meh, we need our own Warsong Gulch.

Sinue_v2
May 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
PSO was even worse regarding safe zones. Thanks to doors, every room had a safe zone. It was almost as if the monsters in PSO were afraid of getting pinched fingers in the doorway.

Except for Sinows and Delsabers. Part of their awesome factor was the unintentional bug that let them leap through doors. Most people were secure in their positions behind the door, and it would never fail to scare the hell out of everyone when one of those bastards came chasing you down. (Expecially a Sinow Gold w/ S/D 30+ by an unintentional S-Rank spread needle)

But anyhow - most people didn't really consider PSO much of a challenging game either.

Dahilia
May 19, 2007, 05:10 PM
I miss Endless Nightmare...

Sychosis
May 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
Heh, yeah, those buggers could be a pain if they go through a doorway. I always quit attacking them extra early for that very reason XD

VanHalen
May 19, 2007, 05:24 PM
On 2007-05-19 13:43, Sychosis wrote:

Don't forget that you didn't even need trap vision for hallways either. All you had to do is press the start button and run through and none of the traps hurt you.

Chaobo99
May 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
I miss challenge mode and the right to EARN your own personal named weapon in the end had u gotten perfect scores

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
Except for EN4, I would refer to the Endless Nightmare quests as difficult. Even in EN4, if you unlocked the fence and hid on one of the little ramps, most of the enemies would walk into the wall whilst you sniped them without risk of even being hit.

Phantasmal World, however, was the shit. PW4 was hands-down the most difficult mission on PSO, but only because each big spawn would throw 10-20 Megid spamming monsters with a lot of HP and DFP at you.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind something more along the lines of Challenge Mode where you have to put more thought into clearing the level than DUR, ATTACK BUTTONZ. It's also good for teamwork and shit. Bruce is ok, but we need more like that, and more varied/complicated puzzles. If they did all that crazy-ass shit with just 4 people, imagine the puzzles they could make for 6 on PSU.

Weeaboolits
May 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
I miss the old obnoxious traps and dark rooms, the crushers and bell traps in the ruins, the trapped switches that'd blow you up when you hit the wrong one, and all that good stuff.

Chaobo99
May 19, 2007, 08:56 PM
well all i miss was the challenge..the only challenge in this game as far as I see is succeeding a 49% synth,looking for absurdly hard to get boss drops, and some of the S weapons...but to get some $$ and killing monsters are all easy so-far..

fumatanera
May 19, 2007, 11:40 PM
On 2007-05-19 15:10, Dahilia wrote:
I miss Endless Nightmare...

forest mop up!

i always enjoyed the maps that required the 4 person party to split up to unlock doors. you had to put some thought into your team to get some of those quests done.

Sakuya
May 19, 2007, 11:50 PM
People talk about how easy PSO may or may not have been, only a few online missions had a requirement to not die for better rewards. People died all the time against certain enemies, simply because said enemy was designed to kick your ass. Not only would it kick your ass, it would repeatedly and continually kick your ass the moment you either revived by scape doll, or moon atomizered.

When you were online enemies had more HP and seemingly more ATP. It was not a matter of sucking against those enemies, it was a matter of if that enemy's thought was "I want that guy" You might as well have been staring at him from down a doorless hall way, and your back to a wall, the sucker would lunge at you with speeds you only wish you had, swinging wildly into the air blades drawn, or guns firing.

Then the creators would be so kind to put that evil EVIL enemy in a room full of mildly annoying enemies that you would then have to focus on while the thing that wanted your mortal soul came after you with an unnatural, and seemingly relentless desire for your blood. This would continue with you using many a resta spell as anything other then a cast, as well as fluids as necessary, getting one to two hits as they pounded your sorry ass into the ground leaving you bloody and messy, then assuming you survived all this, you would have to survive it again later on in the level! Usually more then twice.

Let's face it times were tough for a PSO player fighting solo or with a group, some of those enemies were just relentless. We have a few mean enemies in PSU, but none that were quite that relentless, none that particularly lunge at you with precision and ferocity. The only thing that might qualify as that is a Jarba, and they're more of a walking tank, then a relentless killing machine. Gaozorans are on a mild level of the annoyance and difficulty they should be at.

You throw a Delsaber, and a Sinnow into PSU, put in one of those missile launching monsters from the mines into this game, and you will see fear come to the PSU players faces.

Yoshiflash
May 20, 2007, 01:19 AM
sounds fantastic to me

Weeaboolits
May 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
Gall, I remember blazing through mines on my cast thinking I was all big and bad only to get one-shotted by a Garanz. x_X And last time I played I just barely survived getting shield punched by a delsaber. x_X I was mashing that resta button like nobody's business hoping i'd get to heal before it hit me again. The worst was when they'd stick you in a room with TWO garanz or THREE delsabers. x_X worse, delsabers usually came with bonus dimenians or claws.

Zero-mx
Jun 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
What was really bad is when they sent 3 delsabres at you as well as a wizard or two. So you either ate Rafoie or ate a punch. In reality, though, most of the time you would eat both and be resta-ing every five seconds. I thought PSO was frustrating sometimes, but enjoyable. So far I haven't been frustrated by PSU in the same way, but I'm still enjoying it.

F-Gattaca
Jun 7, 2007, 12:31 PM
I miss the old obnoxious traps and dark rooms, the crushers and bell traps in the ruins, the trapped switches that'd blow you up when you hit the wrong one, and all that good stuff.

They're still in PSU, no worries about that. Being in the same mission, however, is a different story.

Dark rooms I tend to come across in any missions involving Mellvore or Parum labs, as well as any train missions. Crushers are now a Moatoob thing; underground tunnel missions tend to have those, auto-defense guns, and hidden traps everywhere.

Oh, and a lot of those auto defense guns spew fire or ice. Just when you think you can laugh at the pea shooters ...

Akaimizu
Jun 7, 2007, 12:34 PM
You still have some deadly enemies. That Firebreak Neudiaz 2nd S-class mission has one-shotted good level 80 players at a time. Not that it makes it hard, but it's still dying. That is, until the party learns where they are, and prepares to toss them before they can start spamming those 1400+ hp Fireballs all over the place.

And to tell the truth, that Red Robot Boss in the Desert is deadlier than most PSO bosses ever were. Considering in-game level limits and such. You don't see the same level of death come after you, when you max-level in the old PSO. They got better after the 3rd or so iteration of the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-07 10:36 ]</font>

Garnet_Moon
Jun 7, 2007, 12:38 PM
Maggas Magahna is the most ridiculously cheap and force unfriendly boss i've ever seen. He's worse that Adahna is. All he does is pop in, thwack me for more damage than I have HP, then teleport out before anybody hits him. It's the same as Adahna, only Maggas does it alot quicker. Nerf plz. ;-;

Garanz-Baranz
Jun 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'd rather have Status Inflicting Traps on all planets o.o

Not those bomb pods, but hidden traps.