PDA

View Full Version : Redmage themed character

Sneakysanta
May 20, 2007, 03:42 PM
I kinda miss the game so I am going to make a Redmage themed character. I was wondering what class I should be and what PA's i should get for him(also if you know of any good clothes that look like the AF as well that would help http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)
--
Mod edit: title

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-05-20 20:25 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
The only class even remotely akin to RDM is Wartecher. PAs are up to you.

Zorafim
May 20, 2007, 03:50 PM
Red mage, that may be difficult... Hell, the whole thing will be. I'll try, but I don't think I'll get very far.

The class would probably be Wartecher, though even that may be wrong. They suck at all three types of attacks, and can't do two things at once. Post expansion, you'll probably want the acrotecher, which has an insane supportive magic skill, decent offensive magic skill, and sucky melee skill (better than fortetecher, but no where near as good as anything else that can melee). They really don't have any good melee/mage hybrids, though. Hell, fighgunner may be more rdm like due to the fact that it can inflict status while still keeping some melee.

As for looks? Good luck. Nothing comes close. If anything, you can wear the coats that are coming out in a few months. I think one comes out in red. No feathers or hats to wear, sorry.

PAs are much easier to speak for, though. Sabers seem to be the weapon of choice. You can probably do all the PAs from their list, without too much of a roleplay-break.

Really, this may be hard. I may have had a better time making a fish knight than you will a red mage. Shame this isn't PSO, otherwise it'd be easy.

Sneakysanta
May 20, 2007, 03:52 PM
I was definately gonna go acrotecher when AoI comes out I'm just trying to figure if i want to go fT or WT because i wanna be more on the casting side, hell maybe i should try for BLM/WHM >.>

Sekani
May 20, 2007, 04:17 PM
Wanna be a red mage? Drop photon charges on the ground at the beginning of every block.

Zorafim
May 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
Wartecher buffs and heals the party in the forte's absence. They can do some meleeing, but they aren't at all good at it (great if you don't want to specialize in it). Their nuking isn't spectacular, from what I hear, either.

Fortetecher can heavily support the party, while doing damage on par with fortefighters (Fluctuates depending on the situation and the players), in exchange for very low survivability. Probably a combination of both whitemage and blackmage combined, except without the resting for MP every couple of seconds.

On 2007-05-20 14:17, Sekani wrote:
Wanna be a red mage? Drop photon charges on the ground at the beginning of every block.

'aint that the truth?

Treillerti
May 20, 2007, 09:35 PM
If you want to be an FFXI player. . get something to 80, get gear, and become a jerk to everyone else. . It's common and I'm sure it'd work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zorafim
May 20, 2007, 10:00 PM
On 2007-05-20 19:35, Treillerti wrote:
If you want to be an FFXI player. . get something to 80, get elite gear, and become a jerk to everyone else. . It's common and I'm sure it'd work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kent
May 20, 2007, 10:01 PM
Acrotecher is the obvious choice... Post-AOI, that is.

For now? Wartecher would probably be the closest for the moment.

Play it more on the support side of things and you'll be closer to what a Red Mage is, but play it more offensively, and you'll be closer to what a Blue Mage is.

Now PSU just needs En- techniques.

Zorafim
May 20, 2007, 10:06 PM
I still say FFXI needs enflare.

Kent
May 20, 2007, 10:09 PM
Enaspir.

Maybe then, people will finally realize that meleeing as a RDM can very well be a good thing.

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 10:11 PM
I've played and regretfully paid for it, If only the game had Mic support, ( and a cheaper price ).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tykwa on 2007-05-20 20:11 ]</font>

Treillerti
May 20, 2007, 10:11 PM
Actually, you'd be surprised how many non-elite-gear people have a cocky attitude because they're in so and so end-game LS.

Sneakysanta
May 20, 2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the input (i laughed when i saw the photon charge drop....damn refresh whoring) But i think ill just go Blm/whm ish till AoI. Also en-spells in PSU would be awsome en-flood (|yes, please|)

Dragwind
May 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
E-gawd. Why can't people get the simple tp/atp stat out of their heads and think about damage inflicted over time, and damage speed along with tanking quality. Wartechers are more like jacked red mages.

Wartechers can deal good damage, no doubt. Their melee doesn't suck just because they aren't 21+, learn to use the proper skills and whether you want to use them for knockback, or damage. Some PA's are even more damaging if you just spam the first hit rather than using the whole combo. Their high HP, decent DFP, and high EVP makes them really good gi tech spammers as well. Go into an ice mob for instance, and cast gifoie. They'll go down pretty quick, and you'll take little damage. It boils down more to playstyle and skill rather than pure stats. Hell, I've seen newman guntechers outdamage n00b cast fG's. It depends on how well you know how to use the class.

imfanboy
May 21, 2007, 12:02 AM
Boy, some people suck at letting people play what they want to.

If there is a red mage class, it'd be wartecher. I'd recommend human; they get a small bonus and can use decent melee weapons faster than newman, while still doing a fair bit of damage with Technics, especially Gis.

You have some of the highest HP in the game, to go with an excellent combination of DFP and MST.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 21, 2007, 02:13 AM
Wartecher is being grossly misrepresented here.

Although I don't know exactly what a Red Mage is in FFWhateverthehellnumberistheonlineone terms, I take it that it is a sort of hybrid spellcaster with varied abilities and good versatility. That is exactly what a Wartecher is. With decent melee ability, mid-quality support ability, and the ability to do some decent ranged damage with bows, Wartecher is the most versatile class. However, while you will be able to do practically anything, you'll also be quote substandard at everything. But Wartecher is still a good class if you know how to play it correctly and you know your proper role in a party. Wartechers work very well with picking up the slack of a Fortecher concerning support techs, while also being able to contribute decent melee damage to the party.

ChaotistRazor
May 21, 2007, 04:17 AM
Depends on what type of Red Mage you want to play. That class has been around ever since the original Final Fantasy, and as time goes on, they tend to get retooled more than any other class. You have a couple options:

"Classic" Red Mage - Wartecher is probably your most suitable choice for this one, based off of the Red Mages in the older, sprite-based Final Fantasy games. Just like the older-style Red Mages, they can do everything fair enough, but excel at none of them. Your next problems would come with aesthetics - at the moment, there's not all too much in the game that would make you look much like a Red Mage at all, though hopefully in the future there'll be more clothing options to help remedy that. However, only time will tell.

"FFXI" Red Mage - Versatility is not a trait valued by many in the "1337-centric" world of Vana'diel. Because of this, FFXI Red Mages were retooled to be masters of debuffs. (not to mention various perks like Refresh and Convert, added at later dates.) For this style of Red Mage, I would suggest going Fortetecher, and concentrating more on support spells such as all the basic buffs, debuffs, and healing spells. For this type of Red Mage, your best bet as of the expansion would probably be (as previously suggested) Acrotecher. If you want to go the extra mile, a Me / Quick or Har / Quick would be your best substitute for "Fast Cast".

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChaotistRazor on 2007-05-21 02:18 ]</font>