PDA

View Full Version : Dude, Linux sucks.

foamcup
May 20, 2007, 09:44 PM
I tried installing some Linux on my beat up old laptop since I found a version that works well on old hardware, and maaaaaaaan, what a waste of time that was. Spent like 90 minutes trying to make the wireless card work, and what the hell is this command line crap? That's like a step backwards. Windows 2000 is installing as I type this.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2007, 09:46 PM
Windows 2000 would be better than Linux?

Never used Linux, wouldn't know there.

foamcup
May 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
In my opinion, Windows 3.1 is better than Linux. Yes, I went there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

If you never have, then don't.

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 09:51 PM
Use Kubunto

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 20, 2007, 09:55 PM
On 2007-05-20 19:51, Tykwa wrote:
Use Kubunto

Pokeymans? Pokeymans don't run computers! They run numbers, on your kids.

Or is that some sort of Ubuntu competitor?

Weeaboolits
May 20, 2007, 09:57 PM
On 2007-05-20 19:51, Tykwa wrote:
Use Kubuntohttp://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w24/Shikamaru6/63127990.jpg
Haya beat me to the Pokemon joke...

Shadowpawn
May 20, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-05-20 19:47, foamcup wrote:
In my opinion, Windows 3.1 is better than Linux. Yes, I went there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

If you never have, then don't.

I take it you never used Windows 3.1. Really. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2007-05-20 20:25 ]</font>

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 10:21 PM
Kubunto is an upgraded ubunto OS.

Umberger
May 20, 2007, 10:34 PM
On 2007-05-20 20:21, Tykwa wrote:
Kubunto is an upgraded ubunto OS.

The k stands for kool.

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 10:35 PM
I was going to say that if someone wouldn't had.

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
On 2007-05-20 19:44, foamcup wrote:
I tried installing some Linux on my beat up old laptop since I found a version that works well on old hardware, and maaaaaaaan, what a waste of time that was. Spent like 90 minutes trying to make the wireless card work, and what the hell is this command line crap? That's like a step backwards. Windows 2000 is installing as I type this.

no shit.

Weeaboolits
May 20, 2007, 10:49 PM
Shit! Remember it!

HUnewearl_Meira
May 20, 2007, 10:53 PM
Actually, Kubuntu is Ubuntu Linux modified to use the KDE GUI.

foamcup, your clear ignorance overflows. Linux is not meant to be a user-friendly operating system. In its purest form, it uses a command line with no Graphical User Interface because GUIs are resource hogs. If your task requires you to use Linux, then you need to squeeze every CPU cycle out of your hardware that you can.

Linux is primarily for intensive network applications, including hosting services and hacking. It's also used for research projects.

Linux is also extremely customizable. So much so, in fact, that it comes packaged with a compiler and its own source code. Anything and everything can be changed.

Windows does a great deal of small tasks for you. Linux does nothing for you. You have to instruct it to do every step to every task you intend to complete. It's nowhere near as simple to use, but it gives you an unparalleled level of control over what your computer is doing. That's what makes it so powerful. If you don't know how to use that, then you'll never accomplish anything with it.

So if you were hoping to install a user-oriented operating system, then you have absolutely failed to do your research, in choosing Linux.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2007-05-20 21:32 ]</font>

Tykwa
May 20, 2007, 10:56 PM
I need that encoder... for I can make a decoder http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nai_Calus
May 21, 2007, 05:50 AM
Yeah, if you freak out at a command line, you shouldn't be using an OS that will happily sit there and let you irreparably fuck it up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hey, I guess Cisco routers are a useless step backwards too since Cisco's IOS is, obviously, command-line based.

Please, for the love of god, do stick to Windows. The ignorance wafting off your posts astounds and stuns. I can guarantee you that you will never need Linux for anything.

Solstis
May 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
OSX does everything for you and more. Kinda creepy, really.

Skuda
May 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
hawt.

Also, as my old Biology teacher use to say, "Linux is more of a hobby than anything else."

amtalx
May 21, 2007, 08:41 AM
Linux is great if you know how to use it. If you don't want to put up with leaning how, I would avoid it. Its just like most things. You get out of it what you put into it.

Blitzkommando
May 21, 2007, 12:45 PM
What distro did you use anyway? If you need your hand held more try openSUSE as it behaves differently from most other distros but is well supported due to the Novell backing.

Linux (and Unix that it is based on) is designed primarily as a server and workstation operating system. It wasn't really meant in design to be a home user desktop OS. If you want a desktop OS you want Windows or Mac OS. Sure Ubuntu and openSUSE are easier, but really, most home users don't even want that level of control, let alone try to work in it. It's the customizability of Linux that can make it so great and such a problem. Most people are simply too ignorant about computers to know how to use Linux and not FUBAR the install due to their own ignorance. Once you get it configured though, it can run absolutely beautifully with a tiny footprint (even bloated it's under 200MB of memory at idle with an instant messenger and temperature/device monitoring service).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2007-05-21 10:47 ]</font>