PDA

View Full Version : Frying Pan, implications thereof

Allison_W
May 21, 2007, 05:02 AM
So, the JP servers got frying pans for running all the Firebreak missions. In theory, the same should be true for us.

Now, it looks kind of silly from what I've seen, but I looked up what it can do. It's an A-rank saber with reasonably decent base stats, 35% fire, and SE3 burn as a special effect.

As a Fortefighter, I'm very excited. The best SEs I can inflict now are from handgun bullets that max at L10 and SE1, or the occasional wimpy status effect attached to certain weapons, like the Jogiri or Harisen Battle Fan. But come the debut of this frying pan, I will be able to smack something and light it the hell up. To my knowledge, SE3 is enough to affect even large monsters like jarbas and gol dolvas. Add Gravity Strike and its seven to eighteen hits at 11+, and those burns should be spreading like sweet, warm butter.

My own impression is that this item alone could have a huge effect on the capabilities and role of Fortefighters (and to a slightly lesser extent, Fighgunners) who acquire one. It appears to be a trump card that we can use to vastly augment our damage output against enemies that we once lived in fear of--jarbas? WOOMF. Bots? FA-WOOSH. No longer are our options limited to tediously plinking away with melee PAs or tediously plinking away with our dinky handguns; instead, we can set them on fire and watch the damage add up. I feel like I might actually be useful when the jarbas come marching in. I feel like even Groves might not be such a nightmare.

I could simply be overestimating the importance of having one weapon that can deal SE3 burn (I'm probably just getting excited too easily), but I do get to wondering if items like these are supposed to be our break--if they are how we're to find some semblance of versatility and overcome the "one-trick pony" problem that's plagued us from day one. (Begs the question of whether it'll be the only item of its kind, too.)

In any case, I know I'm getting one come hell or high water. Even if the SE turns out to be less than what it's cracked up to be, I can think of plenty use for a half-decent weapon with 35% fire. Enough that I'll see if I can't get four. Dunno if it's one per character or one per account; here's hoping the former.

SaiSpagS
May 21, 2007, 06:00 AM
Sorry, but SE4 is required for the large mobs such as Jarba and Polavohara.
As a FG and FT I know =D

But still, a 35% Saber is handy, I also heard it can sometimes throw Foies when it's swung? (like hildebears cane) but this may have been a baseless rumour.

-Shimarisu-
May 21, 2007, 06:42 AM
On 2007-05-21 04:00, SaiSpagS wrote:
As a FG and FT I know =D

As a FG and FT, you're wrong.

Skuda
May 21, 2007, 06:51 AM
I am now much more interested in said frying pan.

Garanz-Baranz
May 21, 2007, 07:13 AM
How do you get it anyway? >.>;

Allison_W
May 21, 2007, 07:19 AM
On 2007-05-21 04:51, Skuda wrote:
I am now much more interested in said frying pan.

Glad I could get somebody else worked up about it.

I hear lots of fFs upset about how they're the only class that is limited to SE1. I know I would like to be able to drop an ugly DoT at times. And so along comes this beauty.

I'd like to get a frying pan campaign going. Get everyone together to get as many frying pans on the servers as possible, whether that's one per account or four per account (run with your main, run with your alt, run with your alt's alt, run with your mule!). Anything that gives fFs SE3 burn is something we should have as much of as possible.

Onward, for fFkind!

Allison_W
May 21, 2007, 07:20 AM
On 2007-05-21 05:13, Garanz-Baranz wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, you do each of the purification missions at least once and then talk to Bruce. I don't know if the limit is one per account or one per character.

fireant
May 21, 2007, 07:37 AM
On 2007-05-21 04:00, SaiSpagS wrote:
As a FG and FT I know =D

But still, a 35% Saber is handy, I also heard it can sometimes throw Foies when it's swung? (like hildebears cane) but this may have been a baseless rumour.

You can use SE3 Burn on the large mobs. As a GT I know http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It works on my bow and even faster on my Crossbow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2007-05-21 05:38 ]</font>

Skuda
May 21, 2007, 07:41 AM
On 2007-05-21 05:20, Allison_W wrote:

On 2007-05-21 05:13, Garanz-Baranz wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, you do each of the purification missions at least once and then talk to Bruce. I don't know if the limit is one per account or one per character.

If this is true, I'm going to try and get myself a few of these babies.

I am also curious as to how well the grind. But that will have to wait for AoI if these are indeed limited edition weapons.

I'll likely be carrying one of these puppies around with me where ever I go. Who knew a novelty weapon could be sound so useful!

SaiSpagS
May 21, 2007, 08:08 AM
0_o Holy Moly I never knew that....

Whilst levelling my Bow I never noticed an SE3 virus landing on a large mob, I use crossbows and have a few 21+ but I don't tend to use them on the larger mobs, now I will if I can infect/burn them.

Learning things all the time...

Zarbolord
May 21, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah the pan rocks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

jayster
May 21, 2007, 08:31 AM
are you sure SE3 can do that stuff.. because my bow never infected something big until 21+

SaiSpagS
May 21, 2007, 08:39 AM
^ That's what I'm saying, took virus to 21+ and didn't inflict it once on a large mob (mostly Eastern Peril runs around that time so Kamas and Tengos were about)

Golto
May 21, 2007, 08:57 AM
SE3 can work on non buffed large mobs buts its kinda rare to work. My experience maybe 1/75-1/100 hits.

fireant
May 21, 2007, 09:17 AM
SE3 brun works on (some of) the big guys, I dont think the rest will. I have been bruning things with my longbow for a long time before it got to level 21+

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fireant on 2007-05-21 07:18 ]</font>

Lyrise
May 21, 2007, 09:28 AM
To get the pan, you need to complete all 7 misssions....After you unlock the option. So the moment you score enough points to unlock it, do ALL of the missions again.

The pan will be delivered to you into your storage box AFTER the event is over (sorry to disappoint, but you won't be getting more than 1).

Golto
May 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
I know for a fact that SE3 Freeze, Virus, and Burn works on non-buffed Jarbas, Polavohra, Tengohg, and Kamatoze. Same goes for SE3 Freeze and Virus against Svaltus. SE3 burn and Virus works against Kog Nadd and the Seed Vance/Vitance. Not 100% but i'm pretty sure SE3 burn will work on Gol Dolvas. I had SE4 burn by the time I tried MB S so can't completely confirm SE3 burn against Gol Dolvas.

Allison_W
May 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
On 2007-05-21 07:28, Lyrise wrote:
To get the pan, you need to complete all 7 misssions....After you unlock the option. So the moment you score enough points to unlock it, do ALL of the missions again.

The pan will be delivered to you into your storage box AFTER the event is over (sorry to disappoint, but you won't be getting more than 1).

Hrm. This makes a frying pan campaign even more imperative.

chibiLegolas
May 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
On 2007-05-21 06:57, Golto wrote:
SE3 can work on non buffed large mobs buts its kinda rare to work.

I believe Golto's right here.
I remember SE3 large NON buffed mobs before, it's just not something that's reliable tho. How unreliable? I can't really guess the rate.

BTW, for those who DO have the frying pan, how reliable/often does the SE3 burn come out?
Is there always a chance per hit? Even in PA's? Without PA's?

SE3 burn sounds fun and all, but there's certain weapons with low rate of SE in general; despite what level the SE actually is.

akratic
May 21, 2007, 11:11 AM
To what do "the option" and "it" refer?

Niered
May 21, 2007, 11:19 AM
SE3 will affect just about everything in-game. Buffed creatures and mini-bosses are the exception here though.

However even SE4 cannot affect certain creatures, fully buffed Bil-De-Vears for example.

Another thing to keep in mind, certain enemies are completely immune to certain SE's. For instance, Gol Dolvas cannot be frozen.

I doubt that the frying pan will do anything to truly revolutionize the game. Generally speaking, when a melee weapon has the ability to cast a SE, the chances are so abysmally low its like expecting a Dark Handgun from PSO to drop a Garanz. Its more of a bonus then anything else.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
I want one, but I probly won't get online in time or the even, and even if I do, I probly won't be strong enough to do all the missions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Garnet_Moon
May 21, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm getting one and using it just because it was one of my main weapons in PSO.

I don't see why everyone else hated it. I loved mine. Of course, I love joke weapons more than real ones, so that might be the driving factor behind that.

As for SE3? That's just a bonus imo.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 12:03 PM
I loved the frying pan in PSO, it boosted my techs (I rolled HUney http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif), also it made the best sound when you hit things. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Lyrise
May 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
On 2007-05-21 09:11, akratic wrote:

To what do "the option" and "it" refer?

The "option" and "it" refers to the *ability* to frying pan. If you're going by the same goals, you need to score 20 million points for it to unlock. Once that and all 7 missions are available, do them all once, and make sure you get a grade for them. Even if it means standing in the moatoob mission for 15 minutes idling (The only way you can fail that mission is if everyone dies)

akratic
May 21, 2007, 01:22 PM
Gotcha: in order to get the frying pan you have to do all 7 missions after 20 million points have been scored.

Stezan
May 21, 2007, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, your dream of taking on bots with ease using the pan won't work because... you can't burn bots. (i think)

CelestialBlade
May 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
I want to get it just because I always enjoy collecting novelty items, lord knows my storage was stuffed with them in PSO. That and I can be like Lilith in Tales of Destiny with the thing.

Serephim
May 21, 2007, 08:24 PM
They completely ruined the Frying Pan when they included that huge ugly Photon surface on it.

If all Unique/joke weapons have Photon on them, i dont even want them. It ruins the purpose.

Who wants a Katana with photon on it?

I WANT TO HEAR MY SWORD SWING THROUGH FLESH GOD DAMMMIT. (lol last survivor)

omegapirate2k
May 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
It will be nice to have to balance out with my decent ice rapier, but I actually think it's pretty overpowered for being so easy to get XD

Mayu
May 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm so smacking a rappy with it <<

Looks good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-05-21 22:00 ]</font>

VanHalen
May 22, 2007, 12:27 AM
I think this frying pan is sounding better and better now. Espically with the SE3 I'm definitley going to get one.

Weeaboolits
May 22, 2007, 12:45 AM
Is it still Akiko's?

Arika
May 22, 2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif , first of all, you guys think "Will we be able to kill 20 million enemies?"

VanHalen
May 22, 2007, 12:55 AM
On 2007-05-21 22:53, Arika wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif , first of all, you guys think "Will we be able to kill 20 million enemies?"

With help of course. If not, *injects megistaride into veins* IT'S ME AGAINST THE WORLD RAWR! BRING IT ON!

Weeaboolits
May 22, 2007, 01:02 AM
I'm offline. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I really want to help, though! ;_;

Cz
May 22, 2007, 01:43 AM
my double lolipops look way better than the frying pan....lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif