PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PS2: Too late to turn back now..?

Ithildin
May 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi all. I have a question for you...

I play psu on ps2 and I have but one character, Ithildin, lv 66, lv 10 Fortegunner. I also have several shotgun bullets maxed to 30. My question is this...

My character is a human male, do you think I should start again and make a CAST as I heard they make much better Rangers..? I really want to keep on using guns, as I think that's what I do best (well most enjoy). However, I don't have all the time in the world, balancing work and trips to the pub with psu can get quite difficult!

Please let me know your views! Ta! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Niered
May 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
Cast Rangers are not the be-all end-all. You do not need to reroll just because people say "OMG HUME RANGER LOL." I play a newm fortegunner and get along quite nicely.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
CASTS are better at rangering, but humans aren't exactly bad at it either. ;]

Ithildin
May 21, 2007, 11:18 AM
That's kinda my point tho, I want to be the best at what I do....

Mewnie
May 21, 2007, 11:19 AM
then don't suck, level your bullets up and don't suck :3

Dhylec
May 21, 2007, 11:30 AM
If you haven't used up the other slots, make a new character.

Niered
May 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
There is a reason that you are given free reign in choosing a class/race in opposition to PSO's rules. There is no "Best race/class combo." There are race/class combos that better fit what people generally think about classes, but the rest are by no means worthless. For instance, By playing a fortegunner, melee attacks from enemies arent as big a deal for me, but technics still are. Since Im a newman, i take considerably less damage than a CAST against technics.

By playing a Human ranger, you also have certain strengths/weaknesses. Youre endurance is as high as a CAST, making you as resilient to SE as the best of them, and your EVP is higher as well. Allow me to say that EVP is HIHGLY underrateed in Ranger classes, its CONSIDERABLY better then DFP, and since you arent using melee weapons, it doesnt cancel your PA's.

One of the best Fortegunners I know is a human. The stat change isnt enough to cause you a need to reroll.

But most importantly, you'll actually be somewhat original. Ranger CAST's are as prevalent as Beast fighgunners, and you dont want to get generalized into those groups.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
My ranger is a beast. >;]

Retehi
May 21, 2007, 11:37 AM
If you wanna be a run of the mill automaton, go on ahead.

fumatanera
May 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
if you solo alot, i would maybe consider it. but in a party it doesn't matter nearly as much.

Garnet_Moon
May 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
CAST Rangers will do more damage than you, but you're a ranger. You're not a DD. You deal status effects and that's all.

Oh, btw, the damage will only be a few points.

As a Newearl FG vs a CAST FG, my damags on my DS did 20 less than him. And that's the lowest ATP(newman F) and one of the highest ones(CAST M).

You're fine.

I'm making a CAST M for AoI, just because I had one on PSO.

EDIT: I lied. You're a fully capable DD with certain weapons and bullets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-05-21 09:51 ]</font>

amtalx
May 21, 2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think you'll see much of a difference in performance. Human Rangers are by no means a bad choice. Start a new one if you want, but don't expect to get more out of it than an SUV and a lot of work to get your bullets back to 30.

McLaughlin
May 21, 2007, 12:07 PM
On 2007-05-21 09:01, Niered wrote:
Cast Rangers are not the be-all end-all. You do not need to reroll just because people say "OMG HUME RANGER LOL." I play a newm fortegunner and get along quite nicely.

BLASPHEMY!

Deja
May 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
Don't get sucked into stats stats stats as many do. Just play and enjoy yourself, you will only be like 50 points of damage off. Is that worth hundreds of hours? Hell no.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
Take it from Deja, he's a CAST ForteTecher, he knows what he's talking about. ;]

AweOfShe
May 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
It would be silly to re-roll a character for a reason so trivial, imo.

MaximusLight
May 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
How set are you on being a fortegunner? If you want to be a ranger still and get the stat bonus you could just switch to guntecher and that way you could always go back if you get a S rank of your favorite weapon.

Deja
May 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
...and another thing, many people forget the main reason for Fortegunners. SEs. I'd take a human fG with mayalee PAs galore over a Cast fG who just uses elemental PAs and goes for the highest damage.

A fortegunner making the rainbow beast dance with mayalee fury > a fortegunner hitting him for 100 each shot

Golto
May 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
You guys are forgetting suvs, which when used correctly at high character levels can be awesome. Also if you are lucky enough to get a storm Line armor made Male Human FtG can't equip it at lvl 80. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sychosis
May 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
On 2007-05-21 10:47, Deja wrote:
...and another thing, many people forget the main reason for Fortegunners. SEs. I'd take a human fG with mayalee PAs galore over a Cast fG who just uses elemental PAs and goes for the highest damage.

A fortegunner making the rainbow beast dance with mayalee fury > a fortegunner hitting him for 100 each shot

I cannot for the life of me understand why people bring this up. We're not comparing two different players. If he's a good Human fG, he'll be a good CAST fG.

That said, SUV + Killer Elite. Go CAST if you are really hard up to be the best.

Deja
May 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
...well I BROUGHT IT UP! lol sorry I ramble alot.

But it seems the major reason he wants to change is stats, so I told him what's up, and what most people prefer out of a fortegunner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deja on 2007-05-21 10:57 ]</font>

Mystil
May 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
Stick with your human cause getting those bullets back to 30 isn't worth the hassel. You've proven that you're not a lazy gunner(like me). You're already 'the best at what you do'.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
Are you trying to go the stereotypical route? CASTs are normally the better gunner,
but Humans can play any class and NOT suck. Something to think about in the long run.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
IMO if you pick Beast Fortefighter, Newman Fortetecher, CAST Fortegunner for their stats, and that reason alone, you're just conforming to the rest of the losers. Whenever I see nothing but these classes in a game, I go straight out and call it "n00b squad". Either way, don't delete him, stay with your human, humans are good at everything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-05-21 13:29 ]</font>

Eleina
May 21, 2007, 03:26 PM
Stick to human there's nothing wrong with it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

SolomonGrundy
May 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
3 ways in which humans make better rangers than casts

1. EVP
2. Head, Arm, Body armor (Gur Neda, For example)
3. Crea weapons...ok, I'm reaching on that one

Really I'm reaching on all of them...Humans make great GTs, and Warteckers, making the most use of their higher TP, MST, and EVP, as well as getting the class bonus for being a non-forte class.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
Oh, and don't get me started on WarTecher. That class is good, not crappy.

-Shimarisu-
May 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
Casts are ugly.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 04:15 PM
That's funny you say that, because Obsidian's a CAST, and yet,
you seem to be close to him >.>

-Shimarisu-
May 21, 2007, 04:30 PM
Too young.

-Shimarisu-
May 21, 2007, 04:31 PM
w8 guys I think

Obsidian might be a human irl :o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-05-21 14:31 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
Impossible.

VanHalen
May 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
Stick with your Human character. I have a Human fortegunner and he's pretty good. Plus I feel it's better playing a race you like than playing a race for stats.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't have a beast character, but I have a huge attraction for Beaseals.
What's that mean? XD

VanHalen
May 21, 2007, 04:50 PM
I kinda like Cast chicks ._. There I said it!

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 04:50 PM
On 2007-05-21 14:47, RyukiZero wrote:
I don't have a beast character, but I have a huge attraction for Beaseals.
What's that mean? XDIt means you have willpower.

Scion
May 21, 2007, 05:14 PM
On 2007-05-21 14:44, VanHalen wrote:
Stick with your Human character. I have a Human fortegunner and he's pretty good. Plus I feel it's better playing a race you like than playing a race for stats.

I agree with him. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It's just too bad that all of my characters' jobs are the ones that "suit" their race the best. *cries in corner*

Sylpheed
May 21, 2007, 05:19 PM
I always prefer to see Human charecters playing hybrid classes as that's what they're there for imo, BUT a human fortegunner isn't bad i can think of worse things you could be.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
Well, I have a HUGE attraction for BOTH Caseals and Beaseals.
Not so much human or Newearls. Don't say anything >.>;

Mayu
May 21, 2007, 05:29 PM
You're human is fine

Humans can do anything
They are not good nor do they Suck
Balanced at everything lol

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 05:36 PM
I said that, silly.

Mayu
May 21, 2007, 05:39 PM
pfft no you didn't -Hits you with a frying pan!!!

Freshellent
May 21, 2007, 05:42 PM
On 2007-05-21 14:50, VanHalen wrote:

I knew it. You've got Robo Fever.

Weeaboolits
May 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
On 2007-05-21 15:39, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
pfft no you didn't -Hits you with a frying pan!!!Careful, I hear that thing has burn SE3. ;]

ashley50
May 21, 2007, 06:06 PM
well...that is entirely up to you. as I did to my human FT a week ago. lv68

I remade her to a Newman...My lost, but it doesn't botehr me much as it's not the first time I did it =p. (My third Actually =x)

If you want to travel the road to lv80 with a Race that has a specialty in a class...then go for it. (That is if you don't mind relearning/levelling all those skills again to greatness)

Shiro_Ryuu
May 21, 2007, 06:19 PM
I agree about Wartecher being good now, I'm beginning to like it, even on my female newman, the class that shim was saying that the worst race for that. I just single handed weapons and don't use twin daggers and I'm fine. Anyway, back on topic, you pick looks first, then stats. I mean, look at my human, if I cared about stats, I'd have made him a beast a long time ago, but I just liked my PSO HUmar, and I wanted to keep him human, but at the same time, since he was a HUmar, I couldn't bear to make him a non-Hunter. If you like your human character alot, just him human, no need to delete hours of work just to remake him into a CAST.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 21, 2007, 06:23 PM
Double post ._.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-05-21 16:28 ]</font>

Aralia
May 21, 2007, 07:22 PM
you'll be missing out on 2 things, your 12 star rifle and SUV's.

SUV's are nice but basically are back-up guns. I treat my sturm buster like an ex- fire trap honestly.

And as for the rifle. IMO, I'm glad my fG is a cast since I absolutly fell in love with killer elite... but who knows how hard it'll be to get let alone WHEN it'll come out...

Just stick with the human though, there are plenty of weapons to replace KE and again, it's about choice. you won't see much difference between human fortegunner and cast fortegunner, I know cause one of my best buddies back when the game was starting was a human fG and we were pretty much neck and neck for dmg the whole while (cast vs human = stand-off)

(edit: well, back in those days we were regarded as "rangers" =p the idea still applies though. we used the same weapons and stuff, he took his turn down the fighgunner path after the adv. classes were out, but even when he lvl'd his fG class, we still matched up dmg wise.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aralia on 2007-05-21 17:26 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
May 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
Oh yeah, and I lack Mitsu's willpower cuz I have an attraction to Newman females, and my 2nd character is a Newman female.

dragoon-girl
May 21, 2007, 07:40 PM
On 2007-05-21 09:33, Niered wrote:
There is a reason that you are given free reign in choosing a class/race in opposition to PSO's rules. There is no "Best race/class combo." There are race/class combos that better fit what people generally think about classes, but the rest are by no means worthless. For instance, By playing a fortegunner, melee attacks from enemies arent as big a deal for me, but technics still are. Since Im a newman, i take considerably less damage than a CAST against technics.

By playing a Human ranger, you also have certain strengths/weaknesses. Youre endurance is as high as a CAST, making you as resilient to SE as the best of them, and your EVP is higher as well. Allow me to say that EVP is HIHGLY underrateed in Ranger classes, its CONSIDERABLY better then DFP, and since you arent using melee weapons, it doesnt cancel your PA's.

One of the best Fortegunners I know is a human. The stat change isnt enough to cause you a need to reroll.

But most importantly, you'll actually be somewhat original. Ranger CAST's are as prevalent as Beast fighgunners, and you dont want to get generalized into those groups.

Why do people seem to hate Beast fighgunners >_>;
I didn't even know it was popular when I chose it, but I like it...

Shiro_Ryuu
May 21, 2007, 10:58 PM
Beast Fighgunners common? I hardly ever see any, I think humans are the most common IMO.

-Ryuki-
May 21, 2007, 10:59 PM
Haha, owned. Shiro gets mind-hacked by Newearls.
...Wait, I have a Newearl myself! D:

VanHalen
May 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
On 2007-05-21 15:42, Icespike wrote:

On 2007-05-21 14:50, VanHalen wrote:

I knew it. You've got Robo Fever.

I said nothing! *runs*

omegapirate2k
May 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
On 2007-05-21 14:31, -Shimarisu- wrote:
Obsidian might be a human irl http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Not after that car accident involving his jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LorzzkfF4Tg

It's kind of like that.

dragoon-girl
May 22, 2007, 08:59 AM
On 2007-05-21 20:58, Shiroryuu wrote:
Beast Fighgunners common? I hardly ever see any, I think humans are the most common IMO.

Okay... well what is peoples problem with them anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

omegapirate2k
May 22, 2007, 09:58 AM
On 2007-05-22 06:59, dragoon-girl wrote:
Okay... well what is peoples problem with them anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Because they're the most populated class, mostly because they get double sabers, if you've seen a fighgunner running around with six double sabers and only has tornado dance above 21 (usually capped), knocking small monsters everywhere, you'd understand why some people dislike us.

Sexy_Raine
May 23, 2007, 01:32 AM
I hate weaker stats, but guess what? My servant Nova, is a human fortegunner, and she does fine.

Seriously as Ranger, stats mean far less than they do for Force or Hunter. The damage advantage the Cast Ranger can do is cut down by a lot when you throw a Burn or Infection in the mix. It makes any ATP advantage almost obsolete.

Keep your human ranger, as long as you have traps and SE's, your race isn't gonna make a difference a.s a fortegunner.
Let me just add, my Nova looks better than any Cast Fortegunner out there, just ask Jife.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2007-05-22 23:53 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
May 23, 2007, 01:45 AM
Human 80/10 ATP as fortegunner = 618.

Cast ATP as fortegunner = 693.

ATA = doesn't matter jack, every race gets too much ATA as fortegunner. Every. Single. One.

You are never going to GET the 12* rifle. Let's try to be realistic, it's terribly unlikely.

Even if you did, a 9* Phantom grinded to 10, with phantom line will likely walk all over it.

There is such a piddly difference between cast and human here, it's laughable. When you add on weapons and units, that 75 less ATP becomes less and less noticable. In a gaming scenario, you might shoot for 10 less per bullet but you're still likely to kill something in the same amount of shots as cast, ESPECIALLY factoring in damage over time. Forget the silly rumours like "ATA makes SE stick more often" - it's bullshit, same for everyone.

When people say human is "mediocre" they don't know what the fuck they are talking about, mediocre means "just gets by" not "is at 90% proficiency for pretty much every damn class in the game, barring fortegunner and guntecher where you can't even see a bloody difference."

What you REALLY should be thinking about is, do you NEED SUV?

Oh, and uh, humans make the best guntechers. Largely for the reasons stated above, plus I'll take a resta that heals almost half my HP over SUV. Helps me solo much better with NPCs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-05-22 23:46 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
May 23, 2007, 01:54 AM
Human guntecher ATP=554
Cast guntecher ATP=585.

Difference=LOL.

Human=higher EVP (matters), higher TP and MST.

Cast=better in other areas.

Human=best guntecher.

GT in AOI, with almost same (shit) TP they have now, but level 30 support range=people are going to want human in party over cast.

Guntecher=best job for human. Seriously.

If you are that crazy about optimal stats, don't delete your character, just go GT. All you will be missing are grenade launchers. You can dual class and go back to forte whenever you prefer.

Ithildin
May 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
Well, thanks to everyone for your views! I really do appreciate them. I have decided to keep my human FG. So special thanks goes to all those who suggested I do so! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Niered
May 23, 2007, 11:34 AM
Shimarisu speaks nothing but absolute infalible truth.

youthisoverrated
May 23, 2007, 11:44 AM
just make a new character in another slot. then you can keep the human, and that would make it a lot easier starting a new character. my alts have been much easier being able to use the main's money -_-

Shiro_Ryuu
May 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
I also agree with Shim, there isn't such a great ATP difference between Humans and CASTs, even in Fortegunner. The gap between CAST and Human Fortefighter is even smaller, and as Fighgunners, Guntechers, and Wartechers, its just like Shim said, difference = LOL.

EDIT: Another thing I would agree with Shim on, Humans just look cooler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-05-23 11:38 ]</font>