PDA

View Full Version : Small beasts...

Mutt12
May 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
So you got characters like Liina and Tonnio, descended from Beasts that were genetically engineered to not age past a certain point, so they're forever stuck looking like little kids. Makes you wonder. Why on earth would anybody ever do that?

My theory is that since the Beast race was engineered for mining operations on Moatoob, they needed ones that could get into small spaces to be able to do stuff like plant explosives and whatnot. Hence they created the Small Beast variant.

Either that or Sonic Team just wanted to throw in the odd cutesy characters...

Weeaboolits
May 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
Probably both. ;]

Akaimizu
May 22, 2007, 12:38 PM
And I was thinking this was a comment about the Demotivator with the same title.

Garnet_Moon
May 22, 2007, 12:38 PM
You're wrong.

ST is full of pedophiles. Which isn't a bad thing. I made love to my GH-442 Suzaku.

>.>

Kylie
May 22, 2007, 01:14 PM
On 2007-05-22 10:37, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Probably both. ;]

Agreed. Cute and can get into small places; works for me.

Niered
May 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
It makes sense for beasts and casts (even though tiny casts still end up looking stupid in my opinion), but for humans and newmans I think its just dumb. Theres no way a 12 year old wold be given a weapons permit and allowed to go and risk there lives all in the name of cash.

Weeaboolits
May 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
On 2007-05-22 11:37, Niered wrote:
It makes sense for beasts and casts (even though tiny casts still end up looking stupid in my opinion), but for humans and newmans I think its just dumb. Theres no way a 12 year old wold be given a weapons permit and allowed to go and risk there lives all in the name of cash.Desperate times call for desperate measures. ;]

A2K
May 22, 2007, 02:44 PM
On 2007-05-22 11:37, Niered wrote:
It makes sense for beasts and casts (even though tiny casts still end up looking stupid in my opinion), but for humans and newmans I think its just dumb. Theres no way a 12 year old wold be given a weapons permit and allowed to go and risk there lives all in the name of cash.

Twelve year olds would just be silly! The minimum age to join the Guardians is 14. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Eleina
May 22, 2007, 03:08 PM
Lolol it was to keep the small kids clothing buisness alive >.>

Shiro_Ryuu
May 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
I always believed that below average heights for Beasts and CASTs do make more sense than Humans or Newmans, unless they're little people or something like that. Newmans especially since they're supposed to be elves, and thus, they should be human stature, maybe even slightly taller.

Cz
May 22, 2007, 03:24 PM
Bunny was trying to make her beast as small as the PMs, but Sega says, "NO!!!!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sinue_v2
May 22, 2007, 03:28 PM
Makes you wonder. Why on earth would anybody ever do that?

Two reasons.

1. Moatoob is a rich mining planet. Small beasts would be optimal for entering small mineral veins where adult sized beasts couldn't go. IRL, we used to send children into mines, but due to the health hazards and tragedys which occured durring cave ins or other accidents lead to the formation of Child Labor laws which prevented children from working.

2. Legal Pedophilia.

Niered
May 22, 2007, 04:13 PM
On 2007-05-22 13:28, Sinue_v2 wrote:

2. Legal Pedophilia.

Quite possibly the best reasoning ever.

creativehope
May 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2007-05-22 13:22, Shiroryuu wrote:
I always believed that below average heights for Beasts and CASTs do make more sense than Humans or Newmans, unless they're little people or something like that. Newmans especially since they're supposed to be elves, and thus, they should be human stature, maybe even slightly taller.

Correct me if I am wrong But I could have sworn that elves were small in size too. or at least the magical ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Niered
May 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
Depends. In childrens stories and folktales, yes, elves are depicted as being small.

In works of fiction and high fiction however, elves are almost always depicted as tall, wise humans with the characteristic long ears.

They also generally have extremely long lifespans, sometimes bordering on immortal.

Umi_Ryu
May 22, 2007, 06:42 PM
Correct me if I am wrong But I could have sworn that elves were small in size too. or at least the magical ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It depends on the universe. I, too, always though about elves as thin and smaller than average humans. (around one head to one head and half height difference)
But it seems that in most RPG, like Dungeon and Dragon, Shadowrun, Warhammer (correct me if I am wrong) elves are taller.

I think it is all depending to authors conception of elves, but I could see that in most occidental RPG or fantasy realms elves are represented taller than humans with just pointy ears, while asian representation (understant : especially anime/manga style) elves are more often shorter and have long pointy ears.

Through, from the base body proportions of newman in PSU, we can assume that newmen were meant to be a bit shorter than human, since if you look at the default character, the two human models are taller than newmen ones.
Also, if you compare characters in game, newmen are often about the same eight as their human counterpart but shorter, while beasts are taller and muscular.
Except children, casts are the only one to be represented both tall, short, heavy and light, while humans are more shown average, beast tall and heavy and newmen short and light.

Still, I agree with the OP on the point that child sized casts and beasts make sense but not that much for humans and newmen, since the legal age to become guardian, is 14, they should, at least, look like teens, in my opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Umi_Ryu on 2007-05-22 16:51 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
May 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I had the 2nd one that Niered was talking about in mind when I was talking about elves, the wise, immortal ones that look like they're 20 when they're 220 years old in actuality. Too bad that Newmans aren't like that and age just like Humans, apparently from seeing as how Dohgi can grow facial hair.

creativehope
May 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
I've always liked the idea of elves being shorter than Humans, made them more appealing to me, which is why when I saw newman for the first time I knew that a miniature Newman was the route for me. I honestly dont see a problem with the fact that you can make a character any size you want. everyone has their own story. basically size doesnt have anything to do with age. Maybe they could just be little people (midget) maybe being small runs in their family or something. But if the guardians were to exclude every little person they saw, then I am sure that the guardians wouldnt except those who are out of shape and would slow down the initial party. If that is the case. Just my 2 meseta http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mutt12
May 22, 2007, 07:25 PM
Also had a thought. On planets with higher gravity (Also known as 'heavy' worlds) the people there would probably be of a shorter build.

Umi_Ryu
May 22, 2007, 07:58 PM
Actually, in PSO and in PSU, when you make a very short character they do look like child, and guardians recuit only peoples of 14 or more year old.

I wouldn't mind seeing dwarves (not the fantasy ones, just short peoples) amongst guardian, but it breaks a bit the immersion for some of us to be surrounded by children.

I agree on the RP explantion, that they could be short and looking like children because of their blooline (since it is something like that for beasts, but there wasn't any profit to make this kind of modification on humans and newmen) I don't care either seeing a few children, may, as well, be geniuses.
Where I disagree with this point is that most peoples (or, at least a lot) play children/midget, then there is two possibility for a normal sized character :

- Midget hypothesis : The majority of the population is short and child like, which means, normal sized (according to reality) are the one that are abnormal.
Conclusion : Midgets are normal, it is the "giants" (understand person with normal proportions) that have something different in their genes. Character with very high height are, hence, monsters.

- Genius hypothesis : So much young guardians ... why is there one adult every 15 ft ?
Conclusion : It is not them that are genius, but us that are retarded.

I don't personally worry about this, I play on the japanese servers and, since I don't understand this language enough to actually have conversations yet, I can't really role play.
If I could role play it would bother me a bit more already, I guess.

I met only a handful of normally sized character, I don't think I have met 10 yet, maybe 7. Out of them, I only found 2 or 3 peoples smaller than me, my character is, according to a scale I found on these boards, 166 cm tall (around 5'5") which is rather small.
Still, beside those peoples I mentionned before, every character I met were about 2/3 of my height, or maybe less, looking like children.

I don't really rant, as I said, since I can't RP, I don't really care, but I still have a question, we have a very wide palette of height, proportion and facial morphing.
Why do we see so much petite 10 year old girl with sad face (or the total opposite with naive looking face) and little guys that look like they will need to be 3 to swing a sword ?*

*Do not answer, it is a rhetorical question.