PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU use cards? What's the point of them?

Egg99
May 22, 2007, 11:17 PM
This is a question I've had on my mind lately... when AoI ends up getting here, I've seriously been considering switching to AT or WT. Fortetecher is fun, as are giant nukes, but I've always liked the idea of adding a bit of physical weapon factor into the mix. In PSO, Elysion was almost always my main weapon. (God how I wish they'd bring that back)

But because I'm considering switching, I'm curious about cards. I've never used them; never bought one, never equiped one, nothing. What's their use? Status effects mostly? Do they damage based on ATP or TP? And do they actually do significant damage in the first place? Which class, AT or WT, is better suited to use them?

I'm just trying to get a better concept of some good weapon combinations so I can keep my inventory smaller, as I really hate to carry around 10 different weapons like some people.

*cough* Fighgunners *cough*

So, any thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Egg99 on 2007-05-22 21:19 ]</font>

Powder Keg
May 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
For starters, their status effects start at lvl 2. They're alright with Wartechers, but their bullets only go to 10. At level 11+ you throw out 3 per shot instead of 2....I don't know if it gets any higher than that or not.

Deja
May 22, 2007, 11:27 PM
They are a lazy man's dream. Home in ftw

Fulgore
May 22, 2007, 11:29 PM
I have all 7 card bullets, not that you need the ultimate one really but I wanted it anyway, and I have them all leveled above 11 so they shoot 3 bullets....they are awesome! I have the fire and ice above lvl 21 (dam near lvl 30 actually) And they OWN against the Ice Creatures/Fire Creatures.....guess it comes down to what you like using but as a Fortetecher my HP isn't so great/or defense so if I can take on some enemies from a distance with my Cards I'll do it.....IE: I can literally Waste a Jarba in no time with them.....

Fulgore
May 22, 2007, 11:30 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:27, Deja wrote:
They are a lazy man's dream. Home in ftw

There is nothing lazy about em....you actually do more work than with most weapons.....you have to lock onto your specific enemies and keep moving so they wont attack you back! You try taking on a Jarba using one and tell me dodging constant megid balls is lazy!....

EDIT: Easy, Yes.....Lazy, No

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fulgore on 2007-05-22 21:31 ]</font>

Midicronica
May 22, 2007, 11:31 PM
I use my cards to hit enemies weak points for massive damage.

Srsly tho cardz hav can deel good dmg becuz of they high ele % modifer. Da dmg u deel is based off of yo ATP, son. Also, they AINT good fo spreadin' SEs.

(I just felt like typing like that.)

Garnet_Moon
May 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
I do not use cards nor do I plan to. Let the WT's have them. I don't care for them.

Sychosis
May 22, 2007, 11:33 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:31, Shadow_Moses wrote:

Only after our good friend Sion flips over the Giant Enemy Jarba.

Egg99
May 22, 2007, 11:35 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:25, Artea wrote:
For starters, their status effects start at lvl 2. They're alright with Wartechers, but their bullets only go to 10. At level 11+ you throw out 3 per shot instead of 2....I don't know if it gets any higher than that or not.

So what you're saying is they're actually better suited for Fortetecher than Wartecher?

If it's more of a FT weapon than anything, I won't really bother using it if I switch classes. Right now I had my mind set on Madoog/Saber and Madoog/Wand combos, but would throwing a card in instead of a Madoog make more sense for a WT or AT? Or no?

I don't know what it is, seriously. I just can't for the life of me figure out the point in using a card. I don't not want to use it or anything, I just wanna understand why people do use them. For the Fortetechers out there, do they outdamage your nukes from your canes or no?

Fulgore
May 22, 2007, 11:35 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:33, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I do not use cards nor do I plan to. Let the WT's have them. I don't care for them.

Cool....more for Me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Original Poster...try to think of it in these terms... I'm a basic run-of-the-mill Fortetecher at lvl 77 and I don't have anything special...although I do have a Mira-Kikami which is 9* card and basically just as good about as the S rank card Shi-Kikami...it's just not S Rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif....anyways, When I use the appropriate Elements against my enemies I can do anywhere from 150-190 (not to mention when they go critical!) per bullet.....and at 3 bullets a swing.....that's Rapage http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif So if you were to use the appropriate class with AOI or even now...maybe just one that takes A rank cards...and you had the extra ATP to boot....you'd Own! Much like I've seen with the Crossbow....Gadzooks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fulgore on 2007-05-22 21:38 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
May 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
I want to use them, but ST decided that people who don't play online aren't cool enough to have them. D:<

Egg99
May 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:31, Shadow_Moses wrote:

Do you flip them over to expose those weak points? I bet those big Gol Dova fuckers would make perfect "giant enemy crabs".

Anduril
May 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
I use cards mostly as a way to free up some time for a little PP recovery on my wand. I use an ice one so I can slow on coming enemies down with a freeze. (I don't like wasting money having to recharge or buying photon charges)

Fulgore
May 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
Egg99, by the way, keep in mind they have 100% Accuracy if you don't equip any element at all.....so really if you chose that class that takes A rank cards (doesn't have to be S) and you wouldn't even need the bullets cuz they would still own

EDIT: Not to mention they would only take 6PP a swing that way as well
..Get yourself a bullet save unit and you couldn't lose

DOUBLE EDIT: If you went Guntecher or Wartecher for example, you'd get the added ATP which would be about the same I gather as being a Fortetecher using Elements against an enemy ONLY you would get the 100% Accuracy of bullets, use less PP, and stick with the 9* Cards if you can make em.....the Boards for the 7* and 8* usually only get you 1 success anyways, so why not go with the highest chance http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I make my own so that's why I brought that part up

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fulgore on 2007-05-22 21:45 ]</font>

Scion
May 22, 2007, 11:47 PM
On 2007-05-22 21:40, Fulgore wrote:
Egg99, by the way, keep in mind they have 100% Accuracy if you don't equip any element at all.....so really if you chose that class that takes A rank cards (doesn't have to be S) and you wouldn't even need the bullets cuz they would still own

That doesn't mean they'll hit 100% of the time. That means it'll multiply your ATA by 100%. If you have junk ATA, you can still fire a 0 every now and then.

Anyways. Cards are a great weapon. They provide good alternatives for enemies that are resistant to your type of damage, be it melee, or techs. The SE proc rate is pretty good since multiple bullets are fired, but...the SE is only level 2, and it will stay that way (who knows about AoI, though), so it won't work on things that require 3 or higher.

They're a lot of fun to use. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Criss
May 22, 2007, 11:51 PM
The SE level on cards only goes to 2, so you'll want something else for spreading SEs. However, it's in damage dealing that cards really shine. Note that you should get at least lv 11+ PAs for the 3-bullet shots. Cards have over 200 ATP, have a pretty good att mod, and on top of it, gets 25% element at lv 21+. AND you don't even have to aim, just make sure there's a red target SOMEWHERE in your screen and it hits it.

Cards are awesome. Especially when you get all 6 element bullets to abuse elements. On my 67/10 beast GT, I can do about 900 damage a shot (300 x3) with lv 21+ bullets of the right element and shifta. Imagine when I hit lv 80. Or when I get to grind 9* cards. I outdamage more lv 80 players than people think I would... as a lv 67 GT even. But that's with a beast's ATP mind you.

So bottomline is: cards are awesome on any class that gets over lv 11 bullets if you want to deal good damage or hit quick and annoying-to-hit monsters at good range with the easy lock-on. You even get easy-to-level bullets as an added bonus (at least compared to rifles and crossbow).

Fulgore
May 22, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yeah the lose SE was a bummer for me but I soon realized that most monsters only required SE 2 anyway....the Jarba is the only one that comes to mind that requires higher......so forget about Virus/Burn on him. But Most other monsters I Cook/Freeze/etc quite quickly and easily

Seira7
May 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
I was in a random party recently, and the FG was sprinkling status effects, while I was strafing with noob cards. There was a comment at the end "oh that was a really quick run" and I don't think they even got it.
Cards freaking rowk, the SEs that apply just add to the major dmg (I like confuse, shock and fire). I just think the perception of them is "geez a fan" which makes them even cooler.

Fulgore
May 23, 2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I was using my Bow against the Jarbas like everyone else who had one and not saying it doesn't pack a punch but hard to dodge while using it and 20% of the time I'd get hit with Megid but Cards do way more elemental damage and you can dodge at the same time....0% chance of being hit basically, and it kills twice as fast

Africa
May 23, 2007, 12:25 AM
cards rule and like bows they should be used strategically. they are great when used with wands to offer high mobility while casting techs. they deal damage no matter what -techer you are. as a gt or ft they should be a staple in your arsenal. they even replace hanguns for a couple wt's i know.

Weeaboolits
May 23, 2007, 12:29 AM
The point of using cards is to attack enemies. ;]

Egg99
May 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for all the education =P

I've got a pretty good idea of them now and I'll have to experiment with them a little bit. Also I'll have to see how the fit in with AT once the expansion comes out, assuming I change class.

Anyway, I'm off to bed for now. Thanks again guys.

huntlyon
May 23, 2007, 01:00 AM
apparently I'm one of the few WTs that loves cards, regardless of the level cap.

I play support, so more often than not that involves J/Z and R/R duties to let the tanks do more damage and not make the forces have to babysit too much. Cards and handguns each have their place in this regard, but I strongly favor Cards for damage. The higher card percent at level 10 means elemental damage means quite a bit more- it's like 17% vs. 4%. WTs have the ATP to make up for the crap level cap. I pair up all 3 of my wands with Ageha-Kikamis and use a handgun with my single dagger. For the sake of argument, the 6* B'duki Re I use is as strong as a base 8* handgun due to grinding (paired with a survivor ground up as strong as the 8*- behold my B rank combo!).. at least by ATP and ACC. The 8* cards do much better in the damage department judging anecdotally. The SE isn't something to bank on by any stretch, but the damage against melee resistant mobs is just too good to discount. The targeting is great for high flying creatures as well.. meaning you don't need to bother with first person and can better monitor the situation to debuff, which is where I think WTs should make their bread and butter.

Powder Keg
May 23, 2007, 01:10 AM
I use them as a WT also, because it's definitely better than using a handgun along with a staff. The damage somewhat makes up for the level 10 cap.

Phetty
May 23, 2007, 03:17 AM
Cards are my favorite weapon. Unfortanately Im a fortefighter. Theyre more or less damage dealing ranged weapons. Theyre great on Jarbas, Tengoghs, and most magic resistant enemies. Cant wait until Wartecher gets three shots. Theyll most likely be what I thought Fighgunners were going to be.

MSAksion
May 23, 2007, 07:24 AM
Cards are awesome even for a Newman with such low ATP. I only have a LIGHT element but at lvl 22 i'm dong around 150 times 3 bolts that home in against even flyinger monsters such as the DeRagon. As a lvl 78 ForteTecher NewGirl that is pretty impressive esp for enemies that have high Magical Resistance or very nimble or flying.

Yes Bows are more powerful than cards but you're stationary and you can't have a wand. And you have to aim manually which honestly is annoying when the enemy is directly overhead. Card fans home in as long as the enemy is directly in front of you no matter how high he is or if he's directly above you. Keep mobile and cards always hit.

And it attacks relatively fast compared to TECH so you can put the hurt on while dodging enemy attacks that would hit you when you're CASTING. I use a LIGHT Mira-Kikami and a Majimra for Healing. Wand heals faster than Staff and the Card fan lets me move and shoot while trying to heal.

Try using it over a cliff or that balcony in Sealab where only grenades and cards can arc over the railing and hit the jarbas on the bottom floor ^_^

For my GT alt the damage is even higher, esp at lvl 21 it gets 25% element damage times three bolts. Thats about 400-500 damage every 4 seconds consistantly.

Eleina
May 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
Cards for gaos, jarbas mainly but also help for dealing constant damage on ohgohmon while dodging barta before reverting back to foie...they can be really useful

Mystil
May 23, 2007, 08:47 AM
I use Shock cards and I have it at lv18.

In PSO, Elysion was almost always my main weapon. (God how I wish they'd bring that back)

The Elysion was the "Varista" of force weapons. You gimped yourself your whole PSO career?

Weeaboolits
May 23, 2007, 08:53 AM
On 2007-05-23 06:47, Mystil wrote:

In PSO, Elysion was almost always my main weapon. (God how I wish they'd bring that back)The Elysion was the "Varista" of force weapons. You gimped yourself your whole PSO career?People will use what they like, I favored a Photon Claw, personally. ;]

Eleina
May 23, 2007, 08:56 AM

In PSO, Elysion was almost always my main weapon. (God how I wish they'd bring that back)

The Elysion was the "Varista" of force weapons. You gimped yourself your whole PSO career?

Here i was thinking it was the club of laconium and club of zumarian...no wait those where the TRUE FO"varistas"...(not to mention the storm wand indra and it's fire and ice friends)

Starrz
May 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, club of laconium only boosted foie the most out of any other weapon.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Mystil
May 23, 2007, 09:24 AM
On 2007-05-23 06:53, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

In PSO, Elysion was almost always my main weapon. (God how I wish they'd bring that back)The Elysion was the "Varista" of force weapons. You gimped yourself your whole PSO career?People will use what they like. I favored a Photon Claw, personally. ;]

To be fair, Elysion was the first ever "rare" I found and was gleefully happy about it and tried to melee with it. To be a true melee force you either need to be a fomarl/mar, or if a FOne you need to use those Twin chakrams with a lot of % in the respect 3 areas.(and been there done that).

ST has moved away from having a "true" support class. Lets face it, FT is not PURELY support. We're black mages with the ability to buff and heal. Not even Acrotecter is a 'pure' supporter despite the lvl50 support.

But one has to ask themself.. giving your inability to take a load of hits, is meleeing as a "casting" class even pratical?

Weeaboolits
May 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
Some people like a challenge. ;]

chibiLegolas
May 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
On 2007-05-23 07:24, Mystil wrote:
But one has to ask themself.. giving your inability to take a load of hits, is meleeing as a "casting" class even pratical?

Any class besides WT? Maybe, maybe not. But like the previous poster stated, ppl like a good challenge.

FOcaseals shall over take Neudiz one day! You'll see....
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Cz
May 23, 2007, 11:55 AM
cards are pretty. Anymore question? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

PALRAPPYS
May 23, 2007, 12:11 PM
I love cards. I've been using them ever since 55/5 as my main. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Their SE isn't top-notch, but I have noticed it kicks in quite a bit still. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I own all 7 bullets (the ultimate I don't prefer, I just love cards too much to pass it by ) and currently I only have one at 21... but all the rest are still 14+. I do prefer cards, actually. The multiple hits that they do really help. Instead of just one hit, multiple hits allow you to possibly get a critical hit more often, plus w/ more hits, you can get SE better, as I've said before. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PALRAPPYS on 2007-05-23 10:52 ]</font>

Hrith
May 23, 2007, 12:44 PM
I use them on my Guntecher, and I agree that any other one-handed ranged weapon is better, but cards are still decent. They are aprticularly useful on technic casters like Gaozoran or Olgohmon, you can keep pressure on them while dodging their attacks, and also for targeting flying monsters like Shagreece or Zoona without resorting to FPS view.

I would not call them a vital weapon type on any class.

Umberger
May 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
I only have one card bullet, and it's light. The only reason for that is because I'm not a fan of bows, and there's no light attack spells (and Regrants has some extremely pitiful stats).