PDA

View Full Version : Protranser. Is it fulfilling?

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 01:48 AM
So, I was wondering... I've been playing PSU a lot more as of late, and I've been having a ton of fun. I can't believe I stopped playing for so long.

Anyways, I have played as a Wartecher. It was okay, I suppose. Just not as techer, as it is war, it seems (which is quite deceptive, since you had to be a level 5 Force, and only level 3 Hunter). I also tried Fighgunner, which is nice. And no, I don't spam Double Saber. I play it for the ATA bonuses. It improved on my whole "Single dagger + Handgun" strategy.

However, that just seemed like more of the same. And since I am a human, I really couldn't be any of the Forte classes, due to my "Damnit! He does more damage than me, and he's 4 levels below me!" mentality.

So, I was thinking about Protranser. Low health, no S-ranks. The downsides are painfully obvious, and Deja's comics proved that to me further (Damn you, Sara!). However, a very eclectic weapon selection, high health at higher levels, and traps make this really appealing to me.

Basically, I am asking, does doing the Protranser class present a generally fun, productive, and non-frustrating experience? Or do I feel gimped? And if it's the latter, does the feeling wear off sooner or later? Or not at all?

Thanks for the input, you cwazy people, you.

Yoshiflash
May 25, 2007, 02:03 AM
man, I really want to tell people to play PT but I just can't do it. The low ata and atp is just too frustrating for me to handle. Yeah it's great to have a variety of weapons but not if you use them poorly, which PT does compared to the other options.

Their "specialty", traps, isn't special at all until AoI because fortegunner uses them just as well.

I'd say stay away from it judging from your post. I have a friend that is playing it as his main because it is a "fun" class, and I agree, it is fun.

You just have to have the right mindset for it. If you pay attention to other players damage and whatnot you'll feel underpowered. I'm a number cruncher, and I feel gimped when I play PT(which is 80/10 btw) especially in a party with a fortegunner laying traps just as good as yours.

Then theres the release of all these new S ranks you won't get to use till AoI. ><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-05-25 00:08 ]</font>

Jakosifer
May 25, 2007, 02:03 AM
Only frustrating for the first four levels. After you get it to lvl 4 (or was it 5...) you'll start to see improvement. Then at higher lvls like 8-10 you'll feel...godly. <_<

PT is my second fave class, I love playing as it. The traps are lovely, weapons are lovely and the stats are pretty damn good at lvl 10 (...May be an overstatement but whatever, I like the stats http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Tita
May 25, 2007, 02:08 AM
you can refer to the protranser thread for all the crazy shinanigans you can expect, but i can say that even as a gimped beast PT 4 levels in, it's a LOT of fun. i like a good challenge with high rewards, and PT, if you plan on moving onto AOI (!!!!), is definetly worth the work and effort.

and it seems that with PT i'm 10x more excited to see what my stats are at next level because of the super high stat jumps. i'm pretty sure sega shaped the PT to spend a lot of time learning to play carefully and methodically; being a PT takes a little more thought and effort than most other classes (if not all).

spamming as a PT means two things: low damage output and/or death.
the fact that you have to actually think your way through every situation instead of just spamming a well spammed PA/tech over and over makes the game a heck of lot more interesting.

case point: anytime i start to feel bored over PSU, i switch to PT.

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 02:08 AM
Gah. Both of you give me posts that increase, then decrease my hopefulness for this class!

YOUR SOULS ARE NOT BURNING ENOUGH!

*cough*

Jakosifer
May 25, 2007, 02:10 AM
PLAY PROTRANSER!!! ITS A VERY FUN CLASS!!! YOU'LL HAVE ALOT OF FUN!!!! ^_^

There. <_<;

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 02:10 AM
So, Tita. By what you say, I shouldn't use it as a long term class? Just for fun when I get bored?

And what are these Ambition of Illuminus Protranser benefits you crazy folks are talking about?

Yoshiflash
May 25, 2007, 02:11 AM
Ok. if this helps,

I am VERY excited to play my PT in AoI.

I'll end with that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

I'll edit this in cause I just saw the question.

In AoI PT gets slightly increased stats, new traps only they can use, and access to S ranks for all the weapons they use.

Also lvl 40 bullets and skills. Weeeee!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-05-25 00:12 ]</font>

Jakosifer
May 25, 2007, 02:13 AM
Eh, I use Protranser as a serious class too... ;_;

And in AoI we get the lovely and destructive Ex traps! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

imfanboy
May 25, 2007, 02:15 AM
As a Protranser, you are a major part of a team.

You aren't a solo demon. Period.

But EVERY team can use you, because of your sheer versatility.

If the party is mostly gunners/techers, you switch to Anga Dugrega/Rising Strike/Tornado Break/Bogga Danga and help keep the monsters down on the ground and away from them - or if the monsters are bullet resistant, you go with high damage stuff like Dus Daggas or Anga Redda.

If the party lacks any gunners, you can switch to grenades, bows, and shotguns - and traps, too. If there are worms around, you can use shotgun on them (heavier damage than any fortefighters/figunners can dish out in the time they're above ground), or you can go with grenades/Mayalee Prism to keep them above the ground.

You fit like clockwork into any prospective situation. I honestly could not play fortefighter after I played protranser, simply because while fortefighter does one thing and does it well, it can't keep up with the myriad of situations that present itself in the game. A protranser can, and will, adapt to any of them - once you get past those first few PT levels, that is. Not that that's hard, with Crimson Beast S2 and all the other delicious MP floating around these days.

EDIT: So yes, to answer your question, I find Protranser very fulfilling.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-05-25 00:16 ]</font>

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 02:20 AM
Ahah! So it is decided. Protranser it is. Thanks, imfanboy, jakomay, and yoshi flash.

The information you have provided with me is very useful... But S ranks for all the weapons they use, though? That seems farfetched. Incredibly.

Meh. Oh well. Thanks, everyone. May the crying orc graciously guide you on your journey to the stars, or to Ea, Lord of the depths. Whichever you prefer.

Now, to wait for the update to get done at 3 AM -_-

imfanboy
May 25, 2007, 02:24 AM
Well, considering that it takes most of the races (literally) level 100/ Protranser 10 to equip 12*s, and some of them can't do it even then, it's not so farfetched. I don't think that a human will manage more than 11* axes at 100/10 actually... but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be one, we'll go past level 100 after all.

One thing I'd earnestly - EARNESTLY - recommend to a serious protranser is the ultimate shotgun PA. Because your ATA is so low, you need every bit of help you can get with axes and grenades. Very few techers cast Zodeel when you want them to, so carrying your own form of it is very nice. It's also cheap as far as ult PAs go, and it makes for a very good exp tagger; plus you can be helpful right from PT1 while using it.

Yoshiflash
May 25, 2007, 02:28 AM
I should say, In the beta, they got S ranks of all their weapons.

Anything in the beta is of course, subject to change. But I don't think its overpowering for them to have all S ranks, just because if you really look close at the one thing PT is lacking in weapon selection, its mobility.

PT has fairly low defence, and EVERY gun they have except pistol, has no strafe.

Their melee weapons are also not the best for avoiding head on colisions with the meanies.

Like fanboy said. Its a party class, best used when all the enemies attention isn't focused on you. You are basically the fat ninja, creeping up from behind to unleash your bag of tricks on unsuspecting enemies.

PT=Fat Ninja, I like that.

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 02:29 AM
Again, thanks imfanboy.

Good to know you know your protranser knowledge. I will take it to heart.

I do like to Solo once in a while, but of course thats to blow off some steam, and those are usually just C and B missions. I should be okay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: YgvirTheGreat on 2007-05-25 00:30 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
May 25, 2007, 02:31 AM
ProTransers are pretty good in my opinion. The only reason why they "suck",
if they even suck at all, is because of their stats. No S-Ranks is fine, because in
AoI, they DO get ALL S-Ranks (well, for the weapons they can know, nothing new),
and they still have their lvl 30 Skills/Bullets. So really, if you're worried about the stats,
then PT isn't for you. Plus, traps are awesome, hypothetically you can afford so many.

Tita
May 25, 2007, 02:39 AM
refer to the AOI beta Q&A thread for more info

and yes, all PT's usable weaps go S rank in AOI ^_^

as for playing PT when i'm "bored": i'm working towards being able to alternate between WT and PT on one character, co-main jobs. while i find both interesting, I feel more engaged and dare i say "awake", playing as a PT.
(maybe it has to do with having to be a lot more social as a PT http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif heh)

imfanboy
May 25, 2007, 02:56 AM
Oh? So now I'm a repository of PT knowledge, eh?

Well then I might as well flaunt it!

Don't bother leveling handgun bullets - pick up a few, but honestly you don't deal much more damage at level 1 than you do at level 21. <_< I was most disappointed after all the work I did getting my ice handgun to 21... You just hit more often is all.

Raise up at least the ice, lightning, virus, and ult shotgun skills - the ice and lightning are there for damage and (in the case of lightning) SE, the virus is for robots (though if you're in a party with killer shot users, use the ult shotgun PA) and the ult shotgun PA is good for reasons stated above. The Light shotgun PA is also very, very effective for messing up spellcasters; one shortrange blast of that and even the luckiest nonbuffed Gazoran is going to be spinning around in circles. Plus, it messes up the Deljabans like you wouldn't believe.

Pick virus and ice bow skills - the virus is for SE, the ice is for damage on Onma and De Ragan when he flies up. Any other bosses that you fight frequently, pick up opposing element bow skills for them as well; very often they have weak points out of the range of melee'ers OR spots that you don't deal much damage to with most attacks because they have such high defense, the bow punches right through and sticks it to 'em.

Fire grenades are a MUST - SE3 burn CAN affect most large monsters, so while you're tipping over Kog Nadds or Kamatozes with your grenades, you might burn them too once you get the bullet high enough. Ice isn't a bad choice either, because they mess up De Ragan pretty nicely. Protip: aim the grenades so they land behind the enemy; that way they never miss because enemies have 0 evp in their backs. As Leo puts it, "From behind!"

Lasers: I'll be honest, the only laser PA I've found worthwhile is the ult one - and that's on my GT, not my PT.

Melee: Dus Daggas and Dus Robado are your friends; synth high % spears or search for Muktrands in the PS2 player shops - you can find 20%+ ones for moderate prices, if you look hard enough. Tornado Break works wonders for fast knockback as well. Rising Strike and Gravity Strike are going to be your two best friends until you can use high level spears or axes; Rising Strike for crowd knockback and Gravity Strike for damage. If you like fists, use 'em; I personally don't but that's just my preference. They clash with all my outfits, you see.

Once you can use axes, and I can't stress this enough, level Dugrega. It's a serious pain in the ass, I'll be the first to admit, but after one blast of the ult shotgun PA you can literally knock anything in the game down and keep it down while still dealing it a helluva lot of damage. It took me about 2 days of using nothing but it in solo Valley of Carnage C to get it to 21, though, so if you don't have the patience to do that that's fine. Anga Redda is a heavy damage-dealer anyway, and with Rising Strike you should be OK for knockdown. I just like Dugrega. XD

Save your traps for strategic moments - when more than one big monster spawns right near each other and you can catch them both in a virus G trap, for example. Be conscious of the other members of the group, especially casts, however; it's very depressing to drop a Burn G and ignite it only to watch as the Cast fires up Sturm Buster and overwrites your trap.

Team trap if you're in a group with another big trap-user. One of the easiest fights I hever had with Kajigabari was with another protranser, just her and me. She'd drop a sleep G trap and I'd drop a virus G trap and we'd just watch as his HP ticked down.

OK, now I'm rambling. Do you know how to afk level bullets? It really helps with shotguns. It took me about 8 hours of restful sleep to get a shotgun bullet from 1 to 21 - very handy when you don't have a lot of time to play the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-05-25 00:57 ]</font>

Gen2000
May 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
Maybe because I was better prepared than most new PTs I didn't feel so gimped; I leveled majority of my melee PAs to lv.30 as a fF, Bows as GT and switched to PT at around lv.65.

For PT1-2 I use Bow for a majority of time for damage and mainly because your HP is ass so I didn't want to get one shotted but incase you didn't know already they get a major boost in stats...if anything I enjoyed watching the stats grow more than the actual class itself at times...getting like 100ish HP and ATP a level is pretty crazy. Once I could actually use my weapons from fF again at around PT4 or PT6 it was smooth sailing to PT10 for me.

I basically treat my PT as a fF with traps and seem to do quite well in parties, in fact I find it hard to go back to fF. I mean my "LOL BIG NUMBERS" is incredible when I'm fF but my melee damage isn't that bad when PT since the majority of PAs I used are lv.30 so I'm getting the full potential out of them and for the current S2s out now seems to be good enough and also when flying shit comes about it feels good to whip out a Bow and actually kill it instead of pecking away with a Handgun or hoping my melee PA knocks it out of the air.

Even if fGs can currently match me in Trap usage I don't see enough of them doing so when I was fF in random PuGs...how I see it I may as well do it myself....

In AoI, PTs get EX Traps which seem to have potential for major pwn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2hsNHPoyS8 (towards the end at around 3:00)

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 04:57 AM
"OK, now I'm rambling. Do you know how to afk level bullets? It really helps with shotguns. It took me about 8 hours of restful sleep to get a shotgun bullet from 1 to 21 - very handy when you don't have a lot of time to play the game. "

1. I love you. >_>

2. I do not. Could you provide me with the information I require for this "away from keyboard leveling"?

-Ryuki-
May 25, 2007, 05:26 AM
Or maybe we could just let the person play a PT the way they want to, and figure things out for themselves? >.>

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 05:27 AM
That's overrated. <_< Obviously.

Nah. I just want some tips. It's not like I'm going to copy what eveyrone is saying word for word. I will use what they say when the time comes, though, if I want to. And I probably will want to. Haha.

imfanboy
May 25, 2007, 05:47 AM
Exactly, Mitsu. Don't be a jerk - I'm saying what I'VE found out to be helpful for Protranser so that maybe he can maybe glean something from it.

Unlike SOME people on the board, I didn't say, "This is the only way to play a protranser" (probably because those people would be, "Protranser sucks. Human sucks. Max DPS all the way. Go newman female fortetecher. Or male beast fortefighter. Or male cast fortegunner. Why do the other classes even exist? Just to slow down DPS?") but that I'D found certain things to be helpful, and I even explained why behind each one of them.

As far as afk leveling goes... I really should just get with Deja and do a picture guide to it. <_<

You need an autofire controller to do this COMPLETELY afk, though I did this before I got an autofire controller by just tapping the fire button over and over as I watched a lot of Bleach. got through about 60 episodes, actually...

Step 1: Go to Mad Creatures S. Look for the long narrow hallway B1 or the hill road B1, and look for polty spawns. A plus is that they could be rare maps too, so once you're done you can go on and see if you got rappies!

Step 2: Clear out the monsters until you meet up with the King Vahra and his cohorts - in the narrow hallway map it's the second spawn so it's very quick to get to. Kill all of the regular Vahras.

Step 3: Get behind the King Vahra and shoot him! Generally speaking, you can be between 6 and 10 feet away from him and all he'll do is resta himself - any farther and he'll run away, any closer and he'll slash, then jump backwards. Keep shooting him until he restas himself twice in a row; then you'll know that he's not going anywhere.

Step 4: Rubber-band a Lego or something else on top of your firing button and then walk away! You can do this completely AFK or semi-AFK. I tend to do it semi-AFK; when one weapon empties I switch to a new one and once I empty out an entire palatte I walk outside to the recharge cube to refill. Completely AFK is just walking away or falling asleep and letting your blaster do the talking; when the weapon recharges a bit of PP your character will shoot again, and again, and again... it adds up over 8 hours of sleeping.

Note: Does not work easily or fast with rifles or bows. You have to use the Kubara variants, drain them out COMPLETELY first. Then the slowed regeneration of the weapons gives the King Vahra enough time to resta before each bullet hits him and flinches him slightly. Also, use weaker guns, and if you're using the semi-AFK method allow the King Vahra time to refill his HP before switching weapons once you get up to level 15+ with any of the bullets, otherwise you run the chance of killing him.

You can get just close enough to hit him with 2 crossbow bullets or 4 shotgun bullets, though it takes a lot of practice to find that perfect distance and even now I find it's a bit jiggery sometimes. Still, if he restas twice in a row he's never going anywhere.

Edit: one weird thing I've found out is that A rank shotguns have a wider spread than C or B ranks, when it comes to the 4 bullet stage. You have to be closer to use A-ranks, so that means even more fiddling about - or just sticking to C and B ranks. For the 4 bullet stage, try to keep it so that the center 2 bullets hit him each time you move forward until all 4 hit him - if 3 bullets hit him, then you're off-center.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-05-25 03:50 ]</font>

YgvirTheGreat
May 25, 2007, 05:53 AM
Wow. I'll have to try this out. Thanks.

*opens notepad, copies and pastes it* Good, good.

biggabertha
May 25, 2007, 06:03 AM
Ah, I guess I'm too late for all of this Protranser business. I'll stick in a story that made me very happy I was a Protranser instead of the Fortetecher or Wartecher that I wanted to be as my male human though:

My friend wanted to become a Fighgunner after doing nothing but shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot heal shifta deband shoot shoot shoot shoot as a Guntecher so she made the switch to a HU and we both thought Crimson Beast S2 would be an okay place to get from HU 3 to HU 5. So we joined a team that had two other Fortefighters and two other Fortegunners. This team was created in literally seconds and seemed like an awesome team.. Until we got down to it.

As a Protranser, I was outdamaging the Fortefighters with my bows and handguns because they didn't bring any. It was a heavily infested Shagreece map with all those running-away-Distovas. Of course, it didn't help that both Fortefighers were wanting to level up their axes...

I out-Status affected both Fortegunners with my Longbow bullets because they wanted to level up their silence and freeze rifles or deal damage, I wasn't sure but I was the only one who used Virus G traps on the grouped large enemies. No sign of the same kind of Fortegunner willingness to trap anything at all.

Boss time, what happened when the De Ragan flew up into the air? Me and my HU friend were the ONLY ones dealing it damage. Both Fortefighters didn't have or use a gun and the two Fortegunners were running around trying to hit with their Ice Grenade Launcher.

Rant over, I'm a dedicated Protranser from character level 39. I also solo a lot and I know I'm not suited well for soloing but that's how I play. It's also a lot better as a Protranser to solo to level up your bullets or skills. I haven't AFK leveled at all but I have the majority of my bullets over Lv. 21. I have all of the shotgun ones, the basic six longbow ones, four Grenade Launchers, two Lasers (used to have four) and all seven handgun ones. I'd have to disagree with the statement about handguns being useless, Lv. 3 Status effect in our only strafeable weapon coupled with Rising Strike makes soloing Linear Line S a breeze with the burning or dark handgun bullets. Finding out these little things are a great way to learn about the class but it does mean you would need a decent amount of time to be pured into a Protranser.

(Also, as a Protranser, you can switch over to any of the Hybrid classes straight away)

So to summarise everyone's feelings about Protransers, they don't deal lots of damage but they're fun to use, great at higher levels and can tackle places with bullet resistant enemies and melee resistant enemies just by switching weapons.

Sazan
May 25, 2007, 08:34 AM
I saw PT in the AoI-trial with higher ATP, Ex-traps and S-rank-weapons (with high ATA!!!).
Now I don't want to play as a PT in the old version...