PDA

View Full Version : PSU and Mods

ljkkjlcm9
May 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
So one thing I think WoW really has over PSU is mods. I would love a mod so I could see the enemies HP. And other simple mods. I really don't think that's too much to ask for...

THE JACKEL

jayster
May 27, 2007, 03:35 PM
It depends, maybe having certain 'mods' that are accessible by doing certain things.

Example: -Beating a mission in a certain time limit unlocks the fast run mod.
Killing a boss in a certain amount of time unlocks the health.

But being able to use our own mods that we create, I would say no. Someone would create a mod that can kill every monster it hits in one hit no matter what, so on.

ljkkjlcm9
May 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
WoW doesn't seem to have that problem, why would PSU?

I'm just saying WoW encourages players to make mods, and they do, and most of them are just useful for the players but don't actually do anything to harm the gameplay.

THE JACKEL

jayster
May 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
if they dont harm the play then it wouldnt matter but I can't seem to see that happening.

BTW, what's the difference between mods and hacking? I'm not well versed on this stuff.

Alamar
May 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
I would love to have them add mods. Be a good addition to the game. Like the idea of opening them up with missions too.

ljkkjlcm9
May 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
On 2007-05-27 13:40, jayster wrote:
if they dont harm the play then it wouldnt matter but I can't seem to see that happening.

BTW, what's the difference between mods and hacking? I'm not well versed on this stuff.

I mean, WoW has player made mods that take game data that is processed and reads it to output information for you. Such as enemy health, players DPS etc.

It's just information that you can't see that would be nice to know. My main gripe is wanting to know enemy HP. And it'd be pretty cool to have a mod that kept track of how many times you've killed a particular enemy. Nothing that harms gameplay.

THE JACKEL

Eliash
May 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
I would have to ask you to define what you mean by mod. If you mean UI (User Interface) then I agree that custom UI's would be interesting, but I doubt they will allow PSU to do that. After all PC would have an easy time with that, however, PS2 and Xbox would have harder times to download and install UI's.

And something tells me Gameguard wouldn't like UI's that much. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dj_SkyEpic
May 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
Modifications might be a good thing for the game sometimes. If it were an illegal modification like hacks then it would be
restricted by Gameguard.

The mods I would consider seeing are "full fps mode" where you can stay in fps for everything. I had a rl friend who's
more of a counter strike fan and likes to play this game in fps without standing still. So... He didnt play for long ><

Chiba-kun
May 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
I agree that mods would be quite interesting (the WoW kind of mods, not the dungeon siege kind lol), as long as they were user interface only.

Some good mods would be:

Ability to see monsters HP.
HP meters over your head aswell as your team mates heads.
Target toggling.
A DPS meter.
Drop Chat screen. (you would target a monster and push a button to bring up a drop chart for that monster.)

gambit04
May 27, 2007, 04:35 PM
Oh I would love me some mods...>.> but I doubt we will get any if we do it will most likely to be beat a certain mission under a certain time S ranked and then you get this mod to use...other than that I don't think we would get them.

jayster
May 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
I would like a mod to show how many steps you take.

DurakkenX
May 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
the difference of a hack and a mod as it refers to this subject has no difference besides the purpose of it being harmful or useful...

CoH has a great way of allowing this without condoning it...they have a folder that can access every image in the game and any image that is placed in that folder as long as it follows the same name scheme is accessed first. So if i have a monkey face image and keep the name scheme every image as the guardian logo... every time in the game you come across that image it will be a monkey face rather than the logo, but if you erase the monkey face, the logo will return...edit: i should mention that only you can see your mods with this way ^.^

another type of mod application i want is one for my logitech g-15 that displays all pertinent info...it'd be nice. indeed it would.

edit: it should also be mentioned that most if not all mods are client side, while hacks force themselves into the server...

oh and there are a few data collection application mods... a few of the importers used them to figure things out a bit originally ^.^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-05-27 15:37 ]</font>

Candor
May 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
On 2007-05-27 14:27, Chiba-kun wrote:
Some good mods would be:

Ability to see monsters HP.
HP meters over your head aswell as your team mates heads.
Target toggling.
A DPS meter.
Drop Chat screen. (you would target a monster and push a button to bring up a drop chart for that monster.)

Also add to that list a mod like Auctioneer for WoW, it would keep a database of prices for items sold in player shops, then calculate the min, max, median, and mean to help you when determining a price for an item for your shop, or let you know if you're being overcharged.

Chuck_Norris
May 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
i would love to have skin mods, playing as a giant chicken would ROCK!

or a game mod that swiches out the nanoblast with a overdrive move from fianl fantsy X.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chuck_norris on 2007-05-27 22:10 ]</font>

DurakkenX
May 28, 2007, 12:14 AM
you wouldn't be able to do that...you have to learn how textures and such work before you get any crazy ideas like that...

Chuck_Norris
May 28, 2007, 12:16 AM
if its anything like halo 2 moding it wouldnt be that hard.

DurakkenX
May 28, 2007, 12:22 AM
that involves software tampering that MMO's simply don't allow and are very strict on. Graphics are one thing but changing models is another... Halo and it's kin are all built to allow modders to to easily play with things as it often brings in more people and a bigger comunity which results in a bigger profit

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 28, 2007, 01:05 AM
It would never work. Let's be honest here. Gameguard flags certain anti-virus programs as possible hacking tools, what do you think it would do to a mod?

omegapirate2k
May 28, 2007, 01:10 AM
On 2007-05-27 23:05, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
what do you think it would do to a mod?

I'd imagine it's be something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ZHIyFjlvY

Chuck_Norris
May 28, 2007, 01:30 AM
On 2007-05-27 23:10, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-05-27 23:05, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
what do you think it would do to a mod?

I'd imagine it's be something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ZHIyFjlvY

LOL

Kent
May 28, 2007, 02:17 AM
Mods?

...I'm going to have to say no. I prefer to have all the players of an online game (be it MMO like WoW, or strictly not, like PSU) all on very even ground - which, if all players were mandated to have the exact same developer-created UI plugins available to them... Something which players don't have explicit control over (i.e. they can't make their own plugins), then it'd be fine.

The fact that this game is multi-platform, makes this more or less impossible.

Besides, a lot of these things would be pretty redundant for something with PSU's pace and emphasis on action. DPS meter? We really don't need things that would lead to even more elitism, thanks.