PDA

View Full Version : ps2 to 360

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking about switching to the 360 today and I've got a boat load of ?'s for all users on the 360 I would also love to hear from those who have made this same move.

1 how does the controller work and feel on this game compared to using it on the ps2, more over i wanna know how using the top shoulder buttons and directional pad feel when using them and switching weapons

2 how is the frame rate during the game? lots of slow down like the ps2? or decent for the most part

3 I have the headset that came with my 360. how is the voice chat? can you mute a person? does it blacklist them if you do? is it used alot? anything else on this i may not have would help

4 how does the whole gamertag link to this game thing work?

5 what seems to be your average experience going into random parties. friendly people for the most part of loads of cry baby kids?

6 does everyone hoard a few missions or can you pick up a party just about on any planet?

7 I've run my ps2 for days at a time during the ffxi hay days with little concern how does the 360 handle long play times since i havent played it that hard yet

8 I have a keyboard, do alot of people use one? what about the people who dont use either is communication a problem?

9 do things actually sell in shops? do you have to search tons for cheaper than npc shop items?

10 for those who did transfer from the ps2 to the 360 what has been your overall experience with getting back all you weapons and armor etc etc

11 anything else that i may have missed or not thought of would help

Thank you for all your help i want as much info as you all have to offer!!!!!

forgot to ask about weapon loading speeds is this a problem as it is in the ps2 version?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Unis_Zero on 2007-06-01 07:54 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Jun 1, 2007, 09:42 AM
I can answer one of them. The keyboard is used quite a bit on the 360 version as well. I think most current players have one attached, from what I've seen. Even though everybody is on broadband, and SEGA's netcode (in general for this game) isn't the best; there are some that are on connections that barely register as broadband. That is, those very slow upload broadband services. Those people often suffer from low-quality voice and come in badly. You may see them typing more, knowing that. Of course, plenty of us use the macros. Those of us, in character, often use them for typical sayings our characters would use.

As far as the community is involved. Don't expect a big difference there other than perhaps more people. It's a mix of good and bad. No matter where you are, on the internet, you'll deal with buttheads as well as nice people. As much as people love to generalize quickly upon their first experience, anybody and I mean anybody whose had long enough multi-platform online experience (like myself) sees that the general populace is overall the same. If they say otherwise, it's just either a fanboy support response, or just their own personal vote without giving equal consideration of true personal online experience on the platforms.

Anyway, with randoms, ignore the ones that shout immature stuff in lobbies, which quickly weeds down the chances of getting more undesirable party members. I've been getting lucky with some random 40-50 level players as well. Perhaps because a lot are having a bit of difficulty getting parties because of that little level *hole*. But it's always cool to find people to show new stuff too, and are willing to learn more about the ins and outs of the game. They can be as enjoyable to be with as a good powerful known companion. The reactions when they see examples of what they can be, closer to the endgame, are great. You can almost see their wheels turning as they make some serious considerations as to what arts they persue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-01 07:55 ]</font>

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
I have not played the PS2 version but...

2) Frame rate for the most part is decent, some slow downs but nothing too overly horrible unless you go to firebreak on parum where there is pretty bad framerate.

3) You can mute a person by selecting their Gamertag and muting them. It doesn't blacklist them and is used frequently I suggest getting a keyboard also as there is some problems where people cannot hear others.

4) When you are logged in your gamer tag you will automatically be able to log in without putting in a password/username. If your gamertag gets banned I think you also loose your account.

5) Some whiners, a bunch of decent people, and everything else can be booted.

6) Mission hoarding is roughly the same, but I would imagine the other planets are a bit more used than on the PC/PS2 servers.

7) The 360 isn't bad during long playing sessions, but do get the warranty as they do break often enough.

8) Lots of people use USB keyboards, you need it for lobbies where voice chat doesn't work and wouldn't. Lack of keyboard and headset(, and Texter) would be the same as it is on the PC/PS2 servers just at a lower rate than the PS2 users since a headset is usually included.

9) Yes I sold 92k worth of ban-photons in the night for 500 meseta a piece. I suggest advertising on the main forums.

10) Inflation is decently high atm, Ray-photons sell for roughly 1-3k per and a good 50% weapon ranges from 1-5 mil depending on the *'s

11) If you see Nyasia, run the other way fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eliash on 2007-06-01 07:55 ]</font>

shotsfired
Jun 1, 2007, 09:55 AM
random games for the most part are pretty cool. I have plaed PSU for 12 hours straight and no prob with 360 (launch unit). controllers are great, IMO, yes, hoarding 2 or 3 missions is common. crimson, seabeds, mad beasts are your hotspots right now. I actually have 2 friends I play with, and we do mostly all the missions, but honestly, if you dont know anyone, you may have to stick to these missions until yo make some friends.

shops do really well in 360, if you use your head and price things right. stuff flies off my shelves.

Frame rate is ok, what drives me to murder is the fact that in parties everyone has something different happening on their screen. one guy has jarbas doind dammbarta, I will have him shooting megid, and another says he is walking into a corner. WHY!!!!!!

anyway, I love it, I think you will have a great time. i cannot compare the 2 systems, but I can say with confidence you will like this.

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
On 2007-06-01 07:55, shotsfired wrote:
Frame rate is ok, what drives me to murder is the fact that in parties everyone has something different happening on their screen. one guy has jarbas doind dammbarta, I will have him shooting megid, and another says he is walking into a corner. WHY!!!!!!

Jarbas are just multi-talented!

R2D6battlebot
Jun 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
well, i switched from PS2 as well, so ill answer all of your questions.

1. controller feels the same pretty much, the controls are the same of course, i actually kind of liked the PS2 controller better.

2. the frame rate is a lot better than PS2, but it has some lag zones (like in the Firebreak quests in some areas). Not sure if you had the same problem on PS2, but i used to have to pre-load my weapons to save time when switching around. On Xbox that problem is very close to nonexistent.

3. Voice chat is good, makes things a lot faster. You can mute a person from their Gamer Card. It does not blacklist them, but you can do that as well in-game. The only problem with voice chat is that the PSU server seems to detect problems with conflicting ISPs, resulting in certain people not being able to hear each other. Its annoying, but easily overlooked.

4. You can view someones' Gamer Card in the View Status menu in-game. The Gamer Card system does not directly tie in to any game as far as i know.

5. Friendly people for the most part, with the occasional douchebag, but its no problem because there is almost always another party to join.

6. Generally you can find most people cramped in 4 or 5 assorted quests, but now with the Firebreak thing going on they are scattered about a bit better.

7. If Im awake, my Xbox is usually on. I havent had any problems with it.

8. I always have my keyboard plugged in, and i use it more frequently now that my headset is broken ;-;

9. I sell stuff in my shop all the time. As far as finding things for cheap, it all depends on what youre looking for. Obviously high-demand items like Vulcaline are extremely hard to find in player shops for a good price, but items lik Ebon or Chicotite etc are fairly easy to get a hold of in player shops for reasonable, lss-than-NPC price.

10. Its like starting the entire game over again, kinda like you would expect lol. I honestly had a LOT more fun on Xbox, even though i had left all my friends on the other server, it felt like on Xbox without the haxeta etc it felt like i was playing the game like it was meant to be played, AKA i wasnt level 35 decked out with all 9* equipment like i was on PS2.

11. All in all, I like Xbox a LOT better; the graphics are much much better, gameplay is more fun, the population dwarfs PS2, and we get the cool Sonic character room decorations ;3

Akaimizu
Jun 1, 2007, 10:00 AM
And Sega is great with that netcode. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif The discrepancy of what the monsters are doing cross-network is just the PSU thing. If I remember right, it's mainly the Jarbas that actually make different attacks on different player's screens.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-01 08:01 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Jun 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
On 2007-06-01 07:36, Unis_Zero wrote:
I'm thinking about switching to the 360 today and I've got a boat load of ?'s for all users on the 360 I would also love to hear from those who have made this same move.

1 how does the controller work and feel on this game compared to using it on the ps2, more over i wanna know how using the top shoulder buttons and directional pad feel when using them and switching weapons

I've never played PSU on the PS2 however I have always thought that the Dual Shock controller was small. It gives my hand cramps. While the 360 controller is no Duke (my favorite controller of all time!), I have never had a problem with it playing PSU.

2 how is the frame rate during the game? lots of slow down like the ps2? or decent for the most part

Again, not sure how it is on the PS2, but the frame rate does slow at times, which I find to be unsatisfactory for a next gen system. I know that it has to do with the programming of the game though. It doesn't affect gameplay that much, but is annoying at times. When slowdown does happen, it's usually for 2-3 seconds at a time, then it "rights" itself.

3 I have the headset that came with my 360. how is the voice chat? can you mute a person? does it blacklist them if you do? is it used alot? anything else on this i may not have would help

You can't mute a person, but you can just turn your headset completely off to mute everyone. I don't usually run PuG's, but when I do, I don't really have a problem with others abusing the headset. If I do run into a game where this is happening, I just excuse myself.

Ummmm...you have a gamertag, then when you start playing for the first time, you make your characters name. There is an option to view another players gamertag when you highlight their character. The gamertag is mostly helpful when signing on so you can see who is playing. If you just exchange a PC with a person, you will not get thier 360 gamer card. You'd have to ask for this seperately, or send them yours.

5 what seems to be your average experience going into random parties. friendly people for the most part of loads of cry baby kids?

For the most part, friendly people. I usually look at the names people give their characters for insight into how they play. Again, if you don't like the party, just excuse yourself and look for another. It's really hit and miss.

6 does everyone hoard a few missions or can you pick up a party just about on any planet?

People pretty much only run a few missions. You can still find a few parties doing the "odd" mission here and there, but if you're looking for a PuG, you'll have to follow the sheep to the most popular mission.

7 I've run my ps2 for days at a time during the ffxi hay days with little concern how does the 360 handle long play times since i havent played it that hard yet

Can't answer that, I like to get my sleep! Most I've played in one setting would probably be around 12 hours or so. I didn't have a problem.

8 I have a keyboard, do alot of people use one? what about the people who dont use either is communication a problem?

There are actually quite a few people who use a KB with this game. It's easier just to speak into the mic, but if you want to use a keyboard, it's not a big deal to most. Some people will boot you for no mic.

9 do things actually sell in shops? do you have to search tons for cheaper than npc shop items?

Yes, you still have to search for items, but you'll find some cheaper than NPC pretty quickly. For example, I was searching for Ortacarbons last night, when I performed my search, I got the max amount of shops in my list. Out of these, I would say that 15% of these shops had the ortas listed above or at NPC prices, 75% had them around 2000 or so (2500 NPC price) and the remaining 10% were selling for 1500 or below. I ended up finding 15 for 500 apiece!

10 for those who did transfer from the ps2 to the 360 what has been your overall experience with getting back all you weapons and armor etc etc

Sorry, can't answer

Again, I'm not too qualified to answer, as I haven't played the PS2 version. If you have a lot of friends on that version, I would suggest staying there. If not and you'd like a change, try the 360. Perhaps you should try the demo to see if it answers some questions. If you do try the demo though, please note: The people there are 200x' douche-ier than those on the pay version. Use the demo to test gameplay NOT community!

omegapirate2k

Now this is just a matter of personal preference, but I (in general) dislike the PS2 controller, it's too... rigid for my tastes.

Now, for the game, I've never played PSU on PS2 so I can't compare from experience, but I know that the controls for PSU work fine for me, the d-pad works fine, although if your controllers d-pad is off balanced, then you might have problems with it.

Again, I don't know how bad the slowdown on PS2 is, but 360 does have quite a bit of slowdown, although it's not usually going to happen unless your in a 4+ person party, and it's not THAT much oh a hinderer to gameplay.

You can mute a person by their gamertag, and yes, unfortunately it DOES have the same effect as blacklisting them and vice-versa. And I'd say most people use mics.

Basically it allows people to look at your gamertag via partner card or in the lobbies, think of it as an extra button.

This is another matter of personal experience, but from all the random parties I've been in, I've never encountered somebody like that, it's really just luck, when I started out I made a ton of friends playing in random parties, and most of the people I've met have been pretty friendly.

Higher levelled players usually stick to a few missions, but now with firebreak, you could easily go to neudaiz or parum, find a party running the first mission on C, run with them and get tons of levels and MP right off the bat.

I've run my 360 for almost a day at a time, and it seems fine, alot of people get overheat errors on theirs, but that's because they leave it in a closed off room with shitty ventilation, if it's not safe to run for long periods of time in the room you have it in, don't run it at all.

If you price things lower than NPC, and they're something people want (like vulcaline, vestaline, ect) then people will either pick them up and use them or pick them up and sell them for a higher price than you. Unfortunately for 7-9* synth mats I've been forced to go to the NPC because people don't seem to understand that vulcaline is 8k there, not 100k O_o

Watch out for scammers, I suggest trusting no one on one trades with strangers, only buying it straight from their shop is good enough for me.

Unis_Zero
well thank you all for your input into this. I'm pretty sure that ill be doing this later today and will keep ya posted on how its going.

oh one more thing can you play custom music like you can with other games? and if so does anyone do this and how well does it work with the game?

the main reason for the move is that most that i played with on a daily basis have left for other games or could no longer afford to play. I also like the idea of being able to download the expansion although i sort of have bad feelings about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Unis_Zero on 2007-06-01 08:09 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Jun 1, 2007, 10:05 AM
On 2007-06-01 08:04, Unis_Zero wrote:
oh one more thing can you play custom music like you can with other games? and if so does anyone do this and how well does it work with the game?

Yes you can, I do it all the time and it works great, when it plays movies the music is paused, interestingly enough.

Akaimizu
Jun 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
Custom music works just fine. The game itself only interrupts your custom soundtrack at key points. Funny enough, almost all of those key points are just the music you hear during an opening FMV Boss Sequence. However, as soon as the boss is introduced and the gameplay starts, you're custom music continues automatically.

RFB
Jun 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
Also, the game only mutes the music, not the sound FX, so you can hear your own music while listening to your weapons slashing/shooting/casting. Loveable feature.

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
On 2007-06-01 08:07, Akaimizu wrote:
Custom music works just fine. The game itself only interrupts your custom soundtrack at key points. Funny enough, almost all of those key points are just the music you hear during an opening FMV Boss Sequence. However, as soon as the boss is introduced and the gameplay starts, you're custom music continues automatically.

Nice i think this is one of the best features of any game out there and im glad that microsoft has made this avalible

As for the rest of the responces thank you all very much.

I think that ill have both the mic and keyboard active at all times and use whatever is better at the moment

overheating im not worried about as my room is kept at 65 to 70 at all times. cooled in summer and heated in the winter

I personally love both controllers i was just worried about how the trigger buttons worked in game compared to the ps2 short non clicking shoulder buttons

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
overheating im not worried about as my room is kept at 65 to 70 at all times. cooled in summer and heated in the winter

Did I forget to mention, Xbox 360 also doubles as a heater...so no need for heating in the winter. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 10:20 AM
On 2007-06-01 08:18, Eliash wrote:

Did I forget to mention, Xbox 360 also doubles as a heater...so no need for heating in the winter. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

well considering that i have enough electronics to hack into NASA in my room as my one boss told me yeah heat in the winter isnt a problem almost need air in the winter

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 10:31 AM
When/if you get on look me up and I'll see what stuff I have.

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 10:38 AM
On 2007-06-01 08:31, Eliash wrote:
When/if you get on look me up and I'll see what stuff I have.

Thank you very much, it wont be till either later tonight about 8p.m est or sometime tomorrow but i will for sure let everyone know when this happens

My goal for the first day or so will be to solo everything i can to get as much stuff as i can to sell and get a shop up and running.

Sychosis
Jun 1, 2007, 12:11 PM
On 2007-06-01 07:54, Eliash wrote:

You're just mad because she won't marry a smelly hyoo-man.

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
On 2007-06-01 10:11, Sychosis wrote:

You said you wouldn't tell anyone about that! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
On 2007-06-01 10:42, Eliash wrote:

On 2007-06-01 10:11, Sychosis wrote:

You said you wouldn't tell anyone about that! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Wow ya guys lost me here, should i know this person or is this some sort of inside joke type thing?

Mystil
Jun 1, 2007, 01:07 PM

10) Inflation is decently high atm, Ray-photons sell for roughly 1-3k per and a good 50% weapon ranges from 1-5 mil depending on the *'s

1-5mil for 50%???????

Is this a joke???! 50% on my server is 99,999,999 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

OK I am officially jealous of your economy now.

Sychosis
Jun 1, 2007, 01:40 PM
On 2007-06-01 10:59, Unis_Zero wrote:

Wow ya guys lost me here, should i know this person or is this some sort of inside joke type thing?

A little bit of both. My main is Nyasia (see sig).

Eliash is just a part of my entourage.

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
On 2007-06-01 11:40, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-06-01 10:59, Unis_Zero wrote:

A little bit of both. My main is Nyasia (see sig).

Eliash is just a part of my entourage.

Ahhh i see, well I am glad that if nothing else people have a sense of humour....lets hope i find alot of people like that

Eliash
Jun 1, 2007, 04:30 PM
Nope, most of us are grumpy, rude, and ebil! Yes...I did say (type) "ebil."

Oh btw what are you planning to make? Any ideas?

Tykwa
Jun 1, 2007, 04:50 PM
My thoughts

1 how does the controller work and feel on this game compared to using it on the ps2, more over i wanna know how using the top shoulder buttons and directional pad feel when using them and switching weapons=====

I play ps2 once and awhile and I think the 360 is much more comfy the ps2 just feels like a square to me.

2 how is the frame rate during the game? lots of slow down like the ps2? or decent for the most part====

I say, no improvement, I don't know why especially in some of the moatoob firebreak missions, but that's all you will really find, they didnt make the game friendly for the 360 at all

It's awesome, but some people won't use a mic ( female impersonators) in my opinion Yeah you can but you don't run into many anooying people. You can turn your mic down/ off or whatever, if other people are talking and your mic is unplugged it goes though the TV

Just like normal but you don't have a gamertag for a charector but theres the gamertag in there info you can go to rate whatev

Well, if your about the same lvls its okay but some people REALLY need to use the password function ALOT better...

Well,

yeah but now while FB is on you won't find many de ragans,onmaggougs anymore

I've had mine back from repair since last thursday and it's been ON since then so i guess it's been on for about 10 days.

I do too, and a mic, and most people can hear from TV with mic, and theyll prolly have shortcuts put up or somthing, never ran into any.

somtimes almost all low-rank weapons have low prices (like 100) pretty much really cheap but you will run into the occasional 999----- shops

I believe, You Start Over.

You don't need Xbox live gold, just silver (free) but still pay the $10 a month and just if you know Xbox Live makes everything Awesome, I sold my ps3 because I just hated there online services they had.

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 05:01 PM
On 2007-06-01 14:30, Eliash wrote:
Nope, most of us are grumpy, rude, and ebil! Yes...I did say (type) "ebil."

Oh btw what are you planning to make? Any ideas?

well right now i have a cast male and female a human male and a newmen female as for my first char on 360 i may do a beast female to start im not sure yet, wasnt really a big fan of FF but maybe WT

Mutt12
Jun 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
I imagine the only difference would be prettier graphics, less slowdown, and the Tails statue that I covet, but can't have coz I play on the PS2.

Unis_Zero
Jun 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
A little update for everyone as promised.

1st off id like to say that i have failed in my attempt. Like an idiot I thought hey ill wait till later tonight and take a trip to Wal-Mart when its cooler and not alot of people are there....nope not a single copy there!!!! Its now like about 9:30pm and i know that I will never make it to my local mall in time before they close, so off to K-Mart i go. I arrive about 10 or so minutes before closing and do a bee line back to electronics do a quick scan of the glass case and NOT A SINGLE ONE!!!! 0/2 for the night, but the best part is that i walk up to the counter and ask the guy if he knows if they have a copy and without even blinking and before i could even finish the guy says nope we dont have any....wanted to smack him in the head. However I do remember that way back in the day sega was sueing K-Mart for not paying them for the dreamcast system so maybe it is possible that they no longer carry sega products, anywhoot tomorrow i plan on getting up early and taking a trip to my local mall. Stores include EB Games, FYE, Toys R Us, Circuit City, Best Buy, KB toys, Sam's Club, Sears, that all sell games so hopefully one of them is a hit!!!! if not im gonna go on a rampage and kill something thats for sure!!!!

Unis_Zero
Jun 2, 2007, 02:43 PM
so after a quick trip and some monkeying around getting the game to connect(damn sega) im now up and running and i think since beast have 3 star luck im gonna make a beast female named Hir0 look me up on uni 15 prolly gonna do some LL action for a bit after the tour ill lock the game with the pass of 0111 if anyone wants to pop in to say hi and see how my mic is working feel free!!!!