PDA

View Full Version : Swords sword swords....Our bastard child =P

MrNomad
Jun 1, 2007, 06:51 PM
Hey all, nomad here. Who here uses swords on psu? I know i do since im FF, but really who here actually likes the sword in PSU? I have a hard time figuring out whether or not its good =P im always in debate about what strengths and weaknesses it has. I have a Hanzo, but in 20 more ATP ill be using my A-Rank Axe, twice the swords damage (1100) =/ not to mention my spears can easily reach the sword's dmg output. What do you all think about the sword?

Kaydin
Jun 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
Swords are some of my favorite weapons. I just with WT could use them. At least I'm going FF and FI as well. xD

HFlowen
Jun 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
The sword isn't "bad", It just needs a better photon art.

Packrat
Jun 1, 2007, 07:08 PM
I sort of prefer swords to double sabers on my fighgunner for some reason. Seems much more awesome >.<

Deus-Irae
Jun 1, 2007, 07:20 PM
swords were my favorite wep in PSO.

it took me awhile to figure out if i even likes swords in PSU. i finally figured it out though. i love em. not as much as spears, but they are my second favorite wep. i find them quite usefull.

Cort1984
Jun 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
yes I also love swords but only if they had a ulitimate pa for them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

VanHalen
Jun 1, 2007, 07:27 PM
Swords are a pretty good weapon, one of my favorites from PSO still my favorite here. I see it as more of a mob control weapon then a damage per second one. With tornado break at lvl 21 it becomes a very useful thing to have when soloing and if you get surrounded by a butt load of enemies.

Kaydin
Jun 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
Swords have an ultimate PA - Gravity Break. Man I love that PA...

JP servers don't even have it yet. We'll get it in a few decades. x_x

Mystil
Jun 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
Sword, ala Tornado Break was the third PA I got to 30. This was due to the near exclusive use of it back when I was in my 30s. Swords are damage magnets and good alternatives to axes.

Morpheo
On 2007-06-01 17:25, Cort1984 wrote:
yes I also love swords but only if they had a ulitimate pa for them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I completely agree, i have just recently got my tornado break to 21 and wondered if it was worth the time...... seeing that caliburns are starting to deflate in price, it wouldn't be all that bad for a beginner.

Almighty_Envy
does someon have pics or movies of these ult pas...as described on psupedia....

RanZatsarU
Jun 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
I love my Hanzo cuz i love to flip with Spinning Break. Fancy, cool-azz moves > Damage.

L33t_M4st3r
Jun 1, 2007, 07:56 PM
When you think about it, just use your favriote weapon. I love swords, and so i always use them. Even if it isnt the right time, i still use the sword. No matter what. The only other weapon i have is a gun for flyimg enemies

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
I used to hate swords because they are so goddamn slow, but then I started working on my Figunner and came to tolerate them.

In terms of PAs, Dus Daggas beats the pants off of Spinning Break, and it looks much less retarded as well. Tornado Break I like, except I've finally gotten Dus Robado to level 11, and I think I like it more than Tornado, since it is considerably faster.

Also, the A rank swords look pretty stupid.

Zorafim
Jun 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
I hate them. Anything they can do, a spear can do better. DpS, AoE, badassery, spears just outperform swords.
Once gravity break comes out, I may change my mind.

Oh, by the way, axe won't be a replacement for sword. The two only look similar, they play completely differently.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-06-01 18:01 ]</font>

Shiryuu
Jun 1, 2007, 08:13 PM
Tornado Break hits 3-3-4 btw for those who hate it because they haven't leveled it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
On 2007-06-01 18:13, Shiryuu wrote:
Tornado Break hits 3-3-4 btw for those who hate it because they haven't leveled it.

And what does Dus Robado hit?

Garanz-Baranz
Jun 1, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sword... heh, I personally like the sword, but i really HATED the Tsumikiri J-Sword of PSO, which the A-grade Swords that GRM produces resemble greatly...

I'd use Swords more if there was more styles... I like the Tenora Swords the best, and I might decide to go off and grind one to 7+... just for style. o.o;

Only prob is, I dunno which one I should grind... the purple 6* Tenora, or the black Kubara remake of Tenora...

Anywho, I favor Tornado Break, hits 3 targets, and hits strong.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
Swords and Polearms for me, with an occasional Axe and Twin Claw on the side.

Shiryuu
Jun 1, 2007, 08:37 PM
On 2007-06-01 18:18, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

Tornado
3 (normal damage)-3 (normal damage)-4(increased damage; around 100 more points per hit on neutral)

Robado
3(normal damage)-3x2(less damage; around 20 points less per hit on neutral)-3x2(normal damage)

Garnet_Moon
Jun 1, 2007, 08:40 PM
Dus Robabo is utterly broken with a high % and on mobs with multiple hits. I cry everytime I see someone use it on De Ragan or Adahna Degahna.

biggabertha
Jun 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
Swords? Heh. The best reason being human or newman is for the swords. Why? Crea brrand swords. Sure, I don't deal as much damage as you guys but I'm a Protranser. I don't deal damage. I do status effects and with one of each Crea sword type of weapon, I can do it while looking good.

Ice Creasword, Fire Cresaud and Light Soda Crea. Also, Tornado Break and Spinning break were my first two Lv. 30 PAs and that was back when I was Lv. 40 when I just started off as a Protranser. n.n

Sekani
Jun 1, 2007, 09:22 PM
Swords are too slow for my tastes. So are axes. I don't care for spears that much either, but they're useful in certain situations while not being as annoyingly slow.

Alpha-Hunter
Jun 1, 2007, 09:24 PM
I primarily used swords in PSO and I primarily use swords in PSU. I like them alot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mystil
Jun 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
On 2007-06-01 18:18, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

Dus Robado is weaker than Tornado Break and Dus Daggas.

Actually, maybe Dus Robado is 6% higher than Tornado Break. But I do more damage with Tornado Break.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-06-01 19:28 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Jun 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
http://images.quizilla.com/T/TakuyaFire/1080379776_stardsword.jpg
Bastard sword?

Anyway, I love swords, if it weren't for the damn flying enemies, my HUney'd have a palette full, that and the cost of synthing Hanzos. x_X

Cellestine
Jun 1, 2007, 10:07 PM
omg your gonna be gone cause u said a curse omg

Mayu
Jun 1, 2007, 10:08 PM
I use them, nothing wrong with them -_-

Spinning break: Decent dmg the second combo is the main thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Tornado Break: well, in rather cases dus robado and Renkai and outdmg this pa

but, once gravity break is released(Which is in 9 months) You will <3 them

Weeaboolits
Jun 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
On 2007-06-01 20:07, Cellestine wrote:
omg your gonna be gone cause u said a curse omgThis is a T forum, dood. ;]

omegapirate2k
Jun 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
On 2007-06-01 20:07, Cellestine wrote:
omg your gonna be gone cause u said a curse omg

What are you talking about, we can swear as much as we fucking want here.

...within reason.

ShinMaruku
Jun 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
I like spinning break on them hume enemies. Add in my precents on it and it's crazy.
Ayane spazzes out with it.

Isabella
Jun 1, 2007, 10:14 PM
lol...I like spinning break too, but I demand a higher percent jogiri to use it on >>

Besides Spears make you run liek a grizzly bear, and those arent fun...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Isabella on 2007-06-01 20:16 ]</font>

Mystil
Jun 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
On 2007-06-01 20:08, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:

Spinning break: Decent dmg the second combo is the main thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Renkai Buyou Zan can't outdamage a got a damn thing.
138% people.

Dus Robado is 155%
Tornado Break is 160%

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-06-01 20:38 ]</font>

Freshellent
Jun 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
Bears amuse me.

So yeah,when Gravity Break comes out I plan to scream "Gryffith!" Everytime I use it.
I'm still looking for more PA's that use dashing,I'd like to see a sorta,Drawing techinique (Iaido) or something that involves a slash past. But Grav Break should be fine. can't wait to see the damage,I'll stop using axes at that point. (If it's decent,I understand it could never compare,but still.)

Still,I love my Jogiri's,Caliburns. I wish I had some better ones,or even a lvl 30 Spin Break ( have a hard time using it,I hate the recovery,animiation bugs me. I still use it though.)

pionear
Jun 1, 2007, 10:55 PM
Swords are cool for their PA's and mobs. I wish they did more dmg, though.

ANd I wish my FighG could use S-Ranks swords.....

Mayu
Jun 1, 2007, 11:03 PM
On 2007-06-01 20:33, Mystil wrote:

138% people.

Dus Robado is 155%
Tornado Break is 160%

You're opinion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif, I say it outdmges it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

- - Torando Break damage 50% Sword Average

600 800 1200

- - Dus robado 50% Spear

750 750 850 850 950 950( 950+950> 1200

- - Renak 50% Dagger

380X3 380X3 380X3( Faster then swords -_-)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-06-01 21:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-06-01 21:35 ]</font>

Grand_Rider
Jun 1, 2007, 11:31 PM
The problem with the sword in PSU is that with their lack of speed and staggering ability they're very cumbersome to use against the majority of enemies, which are fast moving and possess only one hit point. It’s been relegated to a situational weapon rather than a bread and butter tool like the sabre and only proves viable when up against packs of small creatures like Badira, Naval and Ageeta, or large enemies with multiple hit points like Kog Nadd, Polavorha and the Kamatoze.

All that said though, they're still my favourite weapon. It was my standard weapon in PSO but now I only make use of it in the situations I mentioned. A shame really, but I understand the reason it’s like this is for gameplay balance. Otherwise it'd easily overshadow the sabre and twin sabre.

imfanboy
Jun 1, 2007, 11:47 PM
Mmm, swords.

Recently, I was using all 4 of the AoE melees with my figunner, which I have over 21, and I realized that Tornado Break has 2 key advantages over Dus Robado and Renkai Buyou-zan, and one advantage over Gravity Dance.

1) It gets straight to the knockdown hit faster than Robado and Renkai do, knocks down 4 instead of just 3, and if you only spam the first two parts of the combo instead of completing it you can be doing 4 hits in the time it takes Renkai to finish one full combo, or Robado to finish one full combo. More damage? Yep, definitely.

2) It isn't interruptible - or at least, not easily. I was using them in Valley of Fire, and man, the moment you get damfoied by those vandas, Renkai and Robado are immediately knocked out of the combo. Gravity Dance and Tornado Break, on the other hand, don't get interrupted (well, actually, the third combo of Gravity Dance can be interrupted).

Since I have all 4 and use them all frequently and love them each equally (but for different reasons), I hope that my word can be trusted on this over someone who hates swords and dumps on them whenever they gets the chance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

MrNomad
Jun 2, 2007, 12:16 AM
I like swords too, its a shame it cant be as multipurpose as a spear. I also cant shake the feeling that a swords pa's feel lesser compared to a spear's oO o well I like to use em anyway =P

imfanboy
Jun 2, 2007, 04:05 AM
On 2007-06-01 22:24, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-06-01 20:33, Icespike wrote:
So yeah,when Gravity Break comes out I plan to scream "Gryffith!" Everytime I use it.

*sigh* I can't stand watching the anime ever since I read the manga. The manga's so much better it's disgusting. I mean... they mauled Berserk. Sursly. Just destroyed it.

AweOfShe
Jun 2, 2007, 05:41 AM

I do that already with Tornado Break. XD

"GRIFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITHHH!!!"
"GURIFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUUUU!!!"
...Either or. >.>

Tekershee
Jun 2, 2007, 05:53 AM
Anyone got a video of the remaining sword PA?

Mystil
Jun 2, 2007, 07:31 AM
On 2007-06-01 21:03, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:

On 2007-06-01 20:33, Mystil wrote:

138% people.

Dus Robado is 155%
Tornado Break is 160%

You're opinion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif, I say it outdmges it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

- - Torando Break damage 50% Sword Average

600 800 1200

- - Dus robado 50% Spear

750 750 850 850 950 950( 950+950> 1200

- - Renak 50% Dagger

380X3 380X3 380X3( Faster then swords -_-)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-06-01 21:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-06-01 21:35 ]</font>

YAY 50% weapons GOOD FOR YOU. But I bet you do not know how to properly use photon arts(50% does not = skill). You don't need a 50% weapon to bring out the strength of dus robado and tornado break. It's takes a 50% weapon to make renkai powerful lol. Think about that one very carefully.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-06-02 05:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-06-02 05:35 ]</font>

Alpha-Hunter
Jun 2, 2007, 09:17 AM
Berserk quotes = sweet!!! esecially to this sword hunted. I think the huge cutter would be a good sword for guts...

On 2007-06-02 03:41, AweOfShe wrote:

I do that already with Tornado Break. XD

"GRIFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITHHH!!!"
"GURIFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSUUUU!!!"
...Either or. >.>

Grand_Rider
Jun 2, 2007, 09:41 AM
On 2007-06-02 07:17, Alpha-Hunter wrote:
Berserk quotes = sweet!!! esecially to this sword hunted. I think the huge cutter would be a good sword for guts...

http://psu.kakurezato.com/wp/buki-tyouken.html

Actually, looking at these pics it seems that, ironically, the “Huge Cutter” doesn’t live up to it’s namesake. The “Kan Wu”, “Deragan Slay” and the Crea series of swords seem to embody the “giant sword” convention better in my opinion.

Niloklives
Jun 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
50% weapons or not, same ranking same % same lvl PA, robbado will outdamage tornado. just by shear number of hits

imfanboy
Jun 2, 2007, 02:07 PM
*sigh* In the time it takes me to do all 5 hits of Robado, I can use the first two hits of Tornado Break twice - a good thing, because you don't always want to knock the enemies away from you. Let's see, 2500 damage with Robado, or 2600 with Tornado Break...? seems pretty even to me.

Plus, with Tornado Break, if I have to, I can go STRAIGHT to the knockdown part of the PA, whereas with Robado it takes me a while to get there and I can be interrupted pretty easily while I'm twirling the spear.

I said it before: I use all 4 of the AoE melees, with pretty darn good % weapons in all cases. I leveled them all up because I specifically wanted to compare them. To be brutally honest, I find Robado to be the slowest of them all, with the second-most interruptible combo. Renkai is very interruptible, Gravity Dance is only interruptible in the last combo by ordinary hits, and Tornado Break lasts through everything up to a diga hit.

I reckon that pretty highly, as you might imagine. It's a GOOD thing to keep the combo going, no matter what happens.

Dus Robado isn't bad by any means; they're all about even in terms of damage tbh. But I do rate Tornado Break higher.

Weeaboolits
Jun 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
I prefer Tornado Break over Dus Robado for only one reason:

I like the sword's normal combo more than the spear's, Dus Robado is cool lookin' and fun, but I'd rather have the sword's broad slashes than the spears focused thrusts, but then, I generally prefer slashing weapons over thrusting ones in any case. ;]

ShinMaruku
Jun 2, 2007, 04:28 PM
I use swords mainly on the niceness of using them and getting off spinnning breka on them jerks.
I think I use them as much as claws and that makes me very happy.

Now them knuckles.. I can't use them.....

My Hunye is not graceful...

kazuma56
Jun 2, 2007, 10:57 PM
I like swords as they are good in team situations where many weak enemies (polty variants) appear and does a decent amount of dmg on all of them.

Again, i'm also impartial to the use of spears as I don't like thrusting weapons all that much compared to slashing weapons... I do like Dos Robado's animation... but can't stand the bland looking 3 thrusts the spear animation has/is.

Talking about all this makes me miss playing the game... hopefully i'll be back next week to finish up my ban hunting to get my flame garment before the event is up.