PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Okay, this is bugging me.

F-Gattaca
Jun 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
Well, I've seen this on more than a few topics; people who despise PSU's story.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only guy who got any kind of enjoyment out of both episodes--Episode 1 (Story Mode) and Episode 2 (the Online Mode story missions at GUARDIANS HQ).

Given the current progress of Episode 2, and Episode 3 in Ambitions of Illuminus (that will hopefully explain the link between PSU and PSO), I wanted to take a headcount and see who likes/loves or dislikes/hates either or both episodes.

And if you don't mind, explain why, too. Remember:

Episode 1 is the offline Story Mode.
Episode 2 is the online Story Missions at GUARDIANS HQ.

Umberger
Jun 1, 2007, 10:41 PM
I don't think there's a link between PSU and PSO...regardless, I liked both episodes of the story. My only gripe is that I can't stand Ethan's technic casting grunts.

Freshellent
Jun 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
Truthfully,the story is what you make it. No one expects you to like it suffer the consequences.
I like Ethan's character,I like the story. I think it's got enough in there for me to fill the blanks with my imagination. I'll admit,while it's lacking in some presentation it's core story is fine. The ideas are there,even if they aren't fully realized.

I like the story,simply because I did a little research,and tried to look closely at what I was shown. Looking past the inconsitences etc. This also means I acknowledge the lack of sense and what have you the story has. I'm just able to get passed it because I've over looked it.

VanHalen
Jun 1, 2007, 10:46 PM
I liked both stories. The online story is pretty interesting but everytime you are close to solving one mystery three more appear.

pionear
Jun 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
The first story starts off slow then gets good.

The second (online) story is boring as hell so far for me (I'm on Chap. 5).

So maybe when more online missions are released, my opinions of it may change.

Niered
Jun 1, 2007, 11:15 PM
The story, at least on paper, is actually on-par with many other games out there at the moment, its nothing special, but its not bad. it has interesting elements, and had it been shown trough a different medium could have been quite good.

However...

Its execution (which is apparently the interwebz favorite word right now in discussions of story based work) was horribly flawed. No, not that episode deal, that could have been cool too, but the story's timing is WAAAAY off. Theres no cliffhangers that leave you pining away for the next episode, the voice-overs are horrible, and some aspects just dont make sense, or simply arent explained.

There were points at which I was literally sitting at my computer going "NOOOOO! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO FUCK THIS UP SO BAD?". I mean really, it shouldnt have been as bad as it was. Instead, we got what amounts to a Sci-Fi channel mini-series that got the shaft in the director department, even if the screenwriter was J.R.R. Tolkein.

You WANT to love the story, you really do. But then Ethan opens his fuckin' pie hole and the whole mirage falls apart.

omegapirate2k
Jun 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
I've played both, and I'm sort of neutral, I didn't particularly like them, but I didn't hate them either, I have to wait and see where they plan to go with the story.

Getintothegame
Jun 2, 2007, 12:02 AM
I liked the Offline Story. I did kinda rush it though, and I might replay it before AoI comes out. The online story was hard for me, so I temporarily left it to level up. I might go back and get caught up as soon as possible. I got to the part where Hyuga got rescued and GRM now looks really suspicious.

I guess I like the first story better because of the voice and cut scenes. It was a little corny here and there, especially the ending. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2007-06-01 22:02 ]</font>

Serephim
Jun 2, 2007, 12:10 AM
i JUST got a PSU subscription, and Episode 2 seriously feels like whole nother game. The first mission was actully a CHALLENGE compared to Storymode, where i think i died all but maybe twice? (And NO, one of them was NOT Dukis, sadly.) Vol Brothers and a De-Ragan i never saw in Storymode? Fun stuff.

I havent really gotten into Episode 2, but one thing for sure, Sonic Team realized the problem with their bad story and did what i EXPECTED them to do if they were ever going to fix it: Eliminiate the idea of having a main character thats not the player.

Not being ethan just makes PSU so much more fun than it was in storymode. The only character i really enjoyed in Storymode was Hyugga and Karen, but im exrememly angry they diddnt change Hyugga's gayass outfit for the expansion. (he would have been really REALLY awesome if he diddnt have that ugly outfit on while in Jedi Copyright infringement mode.)

Zorafim
Jun 2, 2007, 12:13 AM
I enjoyed it, because I thought it was going to be junk. If I heard beforehand that it was going to be good, then I would have expected good, and would have been left down.
I can't really comment too much on it, since I'm not a story critic or anything of the ilk, but I do feel it could have been better. It's probably my least favorite of all the PS games, though I can't get into detail as to why. Maybe I just like hearing that a wizard did it?

DurakkenX
Jun 2, 2007, 12:18 AM
I'm gonna say the story is good, but there are just glaring problems that people really can't ignore a lot of times ^.^

also since my subscription is dead for a few days i'll prolly write up the script for chapter 2 since i have a bit of time...either that or play more of the other 5 games i have bought in the last month.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DurakkenX on 2007-06-01 22:21 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Jun 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
I really really liked ep1.
Ep2 is..... eh for me. Way too many things too figure out, and you can pretty much guess whats happening

VanHalen
Jun 2, 2007, 12:52 AM
On 2007-06-01 22:20, DikkyRay wrote:
I really really liked ep1.
Ep2 is..... eh for me. Way too many things too figure out, and you can pretty much guess whats happening

Your trapped under a rock! To be continued. Pick up AoI now!

Sekani
Jun 2, 2007, 01:20 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=140009&forum=20
My opinion hasn't changed since then.

Sha Sha
Jun 2, 2007, 01:32 AM
I liked offline story mode and so far the online storymode is well Meh more or less since i really havnt played much of it yet
my opinoin might change later well see

F-Gattaca
Jun 2, 2007, 01:39 AM
I don't think there's a link between PSU and PSO...

There may be (and I hope I'm right about it); Ambitions of Illuminus includes a lot of PSO content. It's (hopefully) not there just for nostalga's sake; the main theme for AoI commonly references this in the lyrics: "We will choose to fight / For a world beyond" ... and Coral does sound a little like Gurhal phonetically.

But that's for another discussion.

My opinion hasn't changed since then.

One question: Did you play all of the chapters past that point in time? It might be because I wound up playing chapters 2 through 8 in one go, but I was able to see a lot of the loose threads slowly colaesce at Chapter 8.

Shishi-O
Jun 2, 2007, 01:51 AM
On 2007-06-01 20:33, F-Gattaca wrote:
Well, I've seen this on more than a few topics; people who despise PSU's story.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only guy who got any kind of enjoyment out of both episodes--Episode 1 (Story Mode) and Episode 2 (the Online Mode story missions at GUARDIANS HQ).

Given the current progress of Episode 2, and Episode 3 in Ambitions of Illuminus (that will hopefully explain the link between PSU and PSO), I wanted to take a headcount and see who likes/loves or dislikes/hates either or both episodes.

And if you don't mind, explain why, too. Remember:

Episode 1 is the offline Story Mode.
Episode 2 is the online Story Missions at GUARDIANS HQ.
it's different, wich i appreciate

Weeaboolits
Jun 2, 2007, 01:58 AM
I didn't mind it much, sure there were some bad parts, but overall it was okay. ;]

PMB960
Jun 2, 2007, 02:01 AM
I never finished it but it wasn't too bad. Some parts though I just kept thinking that if Ethan or who ever had a better voice it would be so much cooler. Other than that is was pretty fun and it definitely has its moments.

RFB
Jun 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
I like both. If my PSU subscription is active, whenever a new story chapter is added, first thing I do is play it, and always in Rank C. Dont care about exp or rewards, just wanna finish it quick and see what the heck is going on.