PDA

View Full Version : are S ranks really worth it?

Phantomface
Jun 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
what's your opinion PSOW? i see people running hundreds of mad beasts S2 for these weapons that are outpaced by a decently grinded 9*. so what's the big deal?

(other than bragging rights)

Sylpheed
Jun 3, 2007, 04:33 PM
they look a lot better than their 7, 8 and 9* counterparts that look EXACTLY the same except the slight change in colour shade, white, black and blue.

Eleina
Jun 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
Looks mainly but possibley easier to get than a 9* +10 weapon (if no haxeta around)

Umberger
Jun 3, 2007, 04:36 PM
I don't know if they'll be worth it (even going from a 6* rod to an 8* wasn't noticeable), but they're in pretty high demand, and an easy way to get money...that's why I'm hunting them.

*coughsigcough*

Phantomface
Jun 3, 2007, 04:41 PM
i suppose you can't beat the special shinyness of an S rank...

Eleina
Jun 3, 2007, 04:42 PM
On 2007-06-03 14:36, Umberger wrote:

*coughsigcough*

What?

Phantomface
Jun 3, 2007, 04:45 PM
his sig has a head cold XD

pikachief
Jun 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
On 2007-06-03 14:31, Phantomface wrote:
what's your opinion PSOW? i see people running hundreds of mad beasts S2 for these weapons that are outpaced by a decently grinded 9*. so what's the big deal?

lol i had a 12% ice sweet death that was doing mabey about 20 damage more than a 26% 7* double saber XD

my suggestion DONT BUY 10*s!! their not worth the cash, just bragging rights that u found one, A.K.A. Their worth about 500-800k with low-no percents

Nobo
Jun 3, 2007, 04:49 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not if you have a 50% 9* +5. Most S rank weapons look cool, have a status effect, and have the shiny S symbol nest to them in your palette. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Ri0T
Jun 3, 2007, 04:49 PM
It depends how difficult S-Ranks are going to be to grind. If it's really close to impossible to grind an S-rank past +7 or so, then i'd take a well-grinded A-Rank over one any day. I am actually still using a lot of my old 6* B-Rank +10's actually. I finally replaced my B+10 saber with a 9* A-Rank +7, and it is only a tad better damage-wise, really.

There is a big difference in PP though, from a B-Rank to an A-Rank, even when the B-Rank is grinded high. I use tons more Photon Charges when i use my B+10 weapons instead of plain-jane 9* A-Ranks.

Although, when the expansion hits, weapons are supposedly no longer going to break when attempting a grind. They just reset back to +0 instead.

Zorafim
Jun 3, 2007, 04:50 PM
No, they're not worth the effort used for hunting them. They're insanely time consuming to hunt, and can possibly be outdone by easier to get weapons.

But, what else are you going to do?

Garnet_Moon
IF you need to lengthen your e-peen, the yes, they aren't just worth it; they are necessary.

Umberger
On 2007-06-03 14:42, Eleina wrote:

On 2007-06-03 14:36, Umberger wrote:

*coughsigcough*

What?

My sig has a link where I am selling one of the S rank boards I found. My post talked about hunting them to make money, etc.

Soukosa
Jun 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
Ask this again after AoI comes out and they likely redid the broken percentage system so that percents don't have such an impact on damage. They're also gonna raise the chances of getting a decent percent when synthing as well. Until that happens, they're more of trophy weapons than anything else, if you're a hunter class. RAs and FOs will need alot of the weapon to compensate for the amount of PP they'll go through (assuming they aren't gonna abuse haxeta for charges).

Falconpunch
Jun 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
On 2007-06-03 14:31, Phantomface wrote:

Given that you're on the 360, I'd say you should probably go with a S rank, just because of the amount of meseta investment required to synth a 9 star item; just for the mat requirements, if you buy from the synth shop, excluding the cost of special photons etc, you're looking at 75-150k meseta a synth, and that's got a high chance to fail.

On the Ps2 servers, I've seen projections of 5-10 million meseta to get 1 or 2 +9 or +10 9 star weapons, which is MUCH more reasonable than paying for an S rank which usually costs no less than 30 million meseta.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 3, 2007, 05:19 PM
Not only that, but they're gonna have like 15* [I assume, and by assuming, I'm aware that I may be making an ass out of myself], mostly due to seeing that 13* thing in AoI, there may just be 15* weapons, which I'm sure will be stronger than 12* stuff.

Kanaan
Jun 3, 2007, 05:22 PM
yea,youi get good prizes,and feel you did something worth notice. XD

Kanaan
Jun 3, 2007, 05:23 PM
you*

and besides,it prevides a challenge to get them...

Isabella
Jun 3, 2007, 05:24 PM
you know theres an edi button? >>...

RegulusHikari
Jun 3, 2007, 06:01 PM
No, they're not worth the effort used for hunting them. They're insanely time consuming to hunt, and can possibly be outdone by easier to get weapons.

100% true. With the current stat system, they're hardly worth the extra 10 points of damage and few extra PA uses of PP than you can get from a 9*. In fact, at +5 9*s are going to be better/equal to 10*s in most cases. For example; my Deathmakers +9 have MORE PP and almost as much ATP as the 12* does. -_-

Earning them just gives you a sense of having accomplished something in a game that is just *button mash - level up - button mash*.

Edit: Why did I run for MY Ragnus? See above. Mindlessly leveling PAs/bullets and essentially getting nowhere in the game isn't my idea of fun. PSO kept me going because there were weapons I wanted, and I intend to make PSU the same way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RegulusHikari on 2007-06-03 16:07 ]</font>

Mayu
Jun 3, 2007, 06:03 PM
If you like gimping your self for looks - Yes

If you like wasting your time to hunt it and you have nothing else better to do Yes

If you have a high % weapon(Melee -_-)

Please use that instead of a Low S rank -_-

Would you rather do 1000+ dmg?

or look cool and do like 400 -_- http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif(Alot of people will say yes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)

That is all <3

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 3, 2007, 06:15 PM
question, how many people here actually have S ranks that they use?

OK, well the S ranks that I have are amazingly better than any other weapon I've used of it's type. I may not doing as much damage per hit with say, a 20% deva as a 30% 9*, but it can also silence enemies. That becomes extremely useful on say Vanda. I run up, hit them with a PA or two, stick the silence, no diga worries for awhile.

Or the Fuka. When I had it, was amazingly useful. Low percent and all, but it was great being in there doing melee attacks, and suddenly freezing them. I had parties looking around for gunners shooting ice bullets when it happened, and I was like, no, it's the Fuka.

So the S ranks that have status effects attached them, are definitely worth it. Right now, as far as I know, that includes Deva-Zashi, Fuka-Misaki, and Sweet Death. Halp is useful for the almost endless supply of PP that I have with it. My Crea doubles are high percents... so they don't count. Twin Ragnus is the most overrated S rank there is, considering it has nothing special. But if it's down to doing 50-100 less damage, but getting that SE that makes me live longer, sorry, but I'll take the extra 30 seconds killing him if he's frozen/silenced/asleep half the time.

THE JACKEL

Phantomface
Jun 3, 2007, 06:31 PM
whats the special effect on the sweet death?

Umberger
Jun 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
Sleep.

Midicronica
Jun 3, 2007, 06:36 PM
Y'know...I'm really starting to wonder if hunting the Sweet Death is really worth it. Who's to say that when I finally get it and after wasting plenty of time getting it, that it won't fail. >_>! I've run countless runs of Mad Beasts S2 with my friends and have seen 3 Halarods drop and 1 Stormline.. Maybe, I'm just a little bitter.

Ryno
Jun 3, 2007, 06:40 PM
are S ranks really worth it?

to me maybe not.. since i'm mostly a support force with just doing support. with no attack on the rods and wands. the only attack i use is a handgun equiped with the wand.

the only thing about S ranks weapons to me is that it looks cool =]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-06-03 16:54 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 3, 2007, 06:46 PM
On 2007-06-03 16:36, Shadow_Moses wrote:
Y'know...I'm really starting to wonder if hunting the Sweet Death is really worth it. Who's to say that when I finally get it and after wasting plenty of time getting it, that it won't fail. >_>! I've run countless runs of Mad Beasts S2 with my friends and have seen 3 Halarods drop and 1 Stormline.. Maybe, I'm just a little bitter.

this is where the problem comes in IMO. You spend all the time hunting it, only to have it fail. I promise you if you get the sweet death and it synths with like a 20% element, and you use it, you'll enjoy the sleep SE that it puts out on enemies. After using it enough, you'll take it over a 38+% nightwalker of the same element.

THE JACKEL

Jakosifer
Jun 3, 2007, 09:30 PM
No, S ranks arent worthit, at least right now. ..Plus they piss me off.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
S Ranks aren't worth it. You should give them all to me.

RedX
Jun 3, 2007, 09:42 PM
S ranks aren't for stats, more for looks. So, if you like the look then yes it's worth it, if not then no.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 3, 2007, 09:46 PM
Ground 9*'s with decent %'s are for parties trying to get stuff done.
S-ranks with random %'s are for parties with friends and you're either trying to show off, or, hell, you're just trying to show off. Don't try to say otherwise.

Those of us bad enough to refuse to do A-Rank, we have our super Kubara weapons like Sodadoc +10's. My lv11 Beast Tranny will probably be using that for a while... whenever I can get to use it. T_T

Fulgore
Jun 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
Of couse they are worth it........they add an aspect to the game that keeps you playing to get them......just like new missions/clothing/etc does.......if it wasn't for that why would you play at all?

....I'd just go back to Halo

DonRoyale
Jun 3, 2007, 10:11 PM
On 2007-06-03 14:50, Garnet_Moon wrote:
IF you need to lengthen your e-peen, the yes, they aren't just worth it; they are necessary.

Isabella
Jun 4, 2007, 02:53 AM
On 2007-06-03 16:15, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I may not doing as much damage per hit with say, a 20% deva as a 30% 9*, but it can also silence enemies. That becomes extremely useful on say Vanda. I run up, hit them with a PA or two, stick the silence, no diga worries for awhile.

To people that have this dagger, how often does silence happen? and around what level SE do you think it is?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Isabella on 2007-06-04 00:53 ]</font>

Shiryuu
Jun 4, 2007, 03:28 AM
Anyone who thinks S-ranks aren't worth it... feel free to donate them to me. They're gonna be better off with someone who appreciates them more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryoki
Jun 4, 2007, 10:23 AM
On 2007-06-03 16:03, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
If you like gimping your self for looks - Yes

If you like wasting your time to hunt it and you have nothing else better to do Yes

If you have a high % weapon(Melee -_-)

Please use that instead of a Low S rank -_-

Would you rather do 1000+ dmg?

or look cool and do like 400 -_- http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif(Alot of people will say yes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)

That is all <3

I say yes. Also, S ranks are slightly faster.

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 4, 2007, 10:45 AM
On 2007-06-04 00:53, Isabella wrote:

On 2007-06-03 16:15, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I may not doing as much damage per hit with say, a 20% deva as a 30% 9*, but it can also silence enemies. That becomes extremely useful on say Vanda. I run up, hit them with a PA or two, stick the silence, no diga worries for awhile.

To people that have this dagger, how often does silence happen? and around what level SE do you think it is?

Depends on the enemy of course. Smaller enemies it happens quite often. Silence say, Polty, all the time, which is nice cause it prevents them from buffing. Never works on large enemies. Medium enemies it happens sometimes. It's probably a lvl 2 SE, I'd say. I love silencing Vanda, using Buten spinning around hitting 3-4 of them, silencing a few of them... often enough at least.

THE JACKEL

Nuclearranger
Jun 4, 2007, 11:02 AM
S ranks in the end will be better for the people that are gona play for years and years because we got time to blow on them.

Niloklives
Jun 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
yeah according to the database it's lvl 1...but it seems more like lvl 2. My Deva is Light element and I have made every Deljaban I've met since I got that thing my bitch. A megid free hive run is a happy hive run.

Powder Keg
Jun 4, 2007, 11:16 AM
Not worth it, for the rate it drops, and the chances of you getting it, it could just break.

Kylie
Jun 4, 2007, 11:19 AM
I wanted one, but after repeatedly running Rainbow S2 about fifty times and not seeing anything drop, I decided to give up on my search. I also looked around at PSOW's last picture event to see if anyone had anything special, and absolutely no one did. So no, they're not worth it to me. I have more fun play random missions and joking around with my friends than I do looking for an elusive item.

If I got one, I bet I would feel empty...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-06-04 09:21 ]</font>

Niloklives
Jun 4, 2007, 11:22 AM
>_> A dear friend gave me mine.

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
On 2007-06-04 09:19, Kylie wrote:
I wanted one, but after repeatedly running Rainbow S2 about fifty times and not seeing anything drop, I decided to give up on my search. I also looked around at PSOW's last picture event to see if anyone had anything special, and absolutely no one did. So no, they're not worth it to me. I have more fun play random missions and joking around with my friends than I do looking for an elusive item.

If I got one, I bet I would feel empty...

Well, that's why you look for the items with friends...

Either way, most people that don't think they are worth it, are those that have not been lucky enough to get one. As soon as you get one, you'd full appreciate the greatness. Of course, this depends on which one you get. I however love all my S ranks for different reasons. My crea doubles for percents, my Halp for everlasting PP, and my Deva for silencing and keeping my alive longer.

THE JACKEL

Niloklives
Jun 4, 2007, 11:28 AM
personally PP is the only real reason i want a rucar. I figure even if the regen is low, it still means I can use the blade far more than my nightwalkers and a photon charge used on that puppy will feel a lot more satisfying.

biggabertha
Jun 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
S ranks are useless to a Protranser for the time being...

But they do look awesome... If the Kan-Yu/Kan Yuc comes out Protransers don't get access to S rank swords by then, I'm powering my way to HU 10 then Fortefighter whatever to be able to use JUST that weapon. Seven of them. One of each colour. Then I will die happy.

Ryoki
Jun 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
On 2007-06-04 09:38, biggabertha wrote:
S ranks are useless to a Protranser for the time being...

But they do look awesome... If the Kan-Yu/Kan Yuc comes out Protransers don't get access to S rank swords by then, I'm powering my way to HU 10 then Fortefighter whatever to be able to use JUST that weapon. Seven of them. One of each colour. Then I will die happy.

That sword, I can agree, is freaking awesome.