PDA

View Full Version : Idea for an alternative to Synthing

Niloklives
Jun 6, 2007, 03:39 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while. I know a lot of us have complaints about the synthing system, and I have to say I'm just as disappointed as just about everyone else. But as much as I doubt this ould ever even be considered by ST...I had (IMO) an amazing idea.

Rather than finding ingredients and boards and feeding them to a robot to get monomate...what if instead we bought or found frames? the idea being that the frames we meant to house parts that we could install in a shop or at a work bench or somthing.

the frame itself would have different rankings, but this would lend itself to looks and maybe a limit on the grade of units we could install in them(possibly worked out in a point system rather than a ranking system)

but like...say for a sword..you could find or buy a frame that only determined the hilt and the shape of the blade. It started with some very basic units and as you run around the various maps...rather than finding kerseline...you found a photon reactor, emmiters, things like that. at the work bench you could freely remove whatever parts you had already installed and replace them with better ones. now of course each company makes their own versions of each of these and might lower and raise certain stats based on which one you use. A yohmei reactor might give greater PP and better regeneration, but lowered atp on the weapon by 50 points. while the GRM generator granted solid attack power, but lowered ata by just a bit and reduced PP regen by a point or two...

there could even be photon arrays for Melee, so that rather than synthing a bunch of weapons hoping for high percents, higher grade versions of these in various photon types would augment the weapon's element depending on the array used..and of course this would come in different grades as well. but think about how nice it would be to just be able to yank out a C rank ban emiiter and replace it with that A rank ban emitter you just found..or just slap in gra version when you needed light on your sword instead of fire.

the types of parts and units clearly would have their own grading system...and grinding would revolve around them rather than the weapon itself...but say...you could only grind it a limited number of times and the grinder you used effected the level of upgrade...to make it more interesting, the only grinders you could buy in the store were lower grade and the only way to get higer grade grinders would be to find them.

The idea being that weapons were easily more customizable and the risks were limited, but getting the higher grade parts wasn't nearly as simple. but as long as you had the parts you could make a weapon with the looks you wanted and roughly the stats that fit your style without having to go nuts watching monomate come out of your PM like softserve.

it would also make weapons seem way more unique since each one is tailored to the user. of course there would be S grade stuff as well that might have hidden effects on the weapons and whatnot...stuff that gave the weapon HP drain, or inflicted status ailments.

I'm still thinking about ways of limiting it to a degree...but I think it would be a positive change to the current system. heck a similar system could be put in place with armor. units that gave the armor slots and increased certain stats...possibly lowering others. the same arrays could be placed in armor, and possibly the S versions could hold more than one of any given type of unit not infinite..but say 2 of a few kinds rather than just 1 - allowing for armor to carry multiple elements among having other interesting traits.

what do you guys think?

Esufer
Jun 6, 2007, 03:42 PM
Sounds kinda like the weapon system from Vagrant Story.

And I think it's a cracking idea. =]

Flwl3ssCowboy
Jun 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
On 2007-06-06 13:39, NIloklives wrote:
work bench
run around the various maps
emmiters
work bench

sounds like KOTOR to me

Niloklives
Jun 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
sounds like KOTOR to me

well the technology is similar I'd think...so some of the terminology would be the same...*shrugs* I only used workbench cause I figured it would be easy to visualize.

But hey I liked the idea of gathering parts for your first lightsaber and the weapon enhancement features in KOTOR. I'm talkinga bout something a bit more grand scale...but I'd by lying if I said it wasn't similar.

Davot
Jun 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
KOTOR 2 definitly ive beaten it 7 times.cool idea though

Esufer
Jun 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
*mutters*

Vagrant Story did it first...

*saunters off*

Garnet_Moon
Jun 6, 2007, 05:49 PM
And let all the n00bgunners run around with custom Double Sabers and Gunblades? Hah! No.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 6, 2007, 05:56 PM
O.o thats a cool idea. Id like this much more than the current system.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 6, 2007, 05:58 PM
Though I would kill to have a Rappy Cane or maybe a Dulk Fakis Tentacle Bullwhip.... or maybe a Degahna aerial bit shield...

Niloklives
Jun 6, 2007, 06:27 PM
the point is there are still limitations to the system...who did something similar first is another topic entirely and I'm sure kotor wasn't the first...but...heh I just think it would blow synthing away.

the point is they can be noob double saber wielding space monkies all they want. the frame doesn't mean a whole lot without good parts and high quality parts could be of all sorts of rarity. I'm just saying it'd be nice to have a weapon part I could insert in a blade...or a new frame for a weapon...than find my 400,000th kerseline. and to make it even better without synths failing, people will feel just a bit better about their rares.

but what if instead of copernia...you could find weapon enhancements? what if there was a way to take all that kersaline and vestaline and turn it into somethiing useful?

i dunno...this ones a bit crazy...but thinking about that photon array I mentioned before...if you could take weaker ones and combine them to make stronger ones...like if THAT was what synthing was..and these things could only be found up to a very small level and you have to keep combining them to make better ones...you'd be gatheing up all the extra stuff you found so you could keep enhancing your weapons.

And seriously...why not on those monster weapons? to have those frames as rare drops? something that once you got it you could readily use? not worry about failed synths or gathering odd materials just to attempt it? and then once you got it, keep tweaking it to make it yours and only yours. hell even player shops would be more interesting...like junk shops and trading parts with people readily...it just seems way more fun to me than spending all this time looking for a single board for a weapon that doesn't even compare to the think i just grinded to +10...it would let you have your looks and your fuctionality and would add a completely new level to uniqueless and customizability.

plus it would feel much more accessabl to the casual gamer...but again...this is all just me brain storming

Serephim
Jun 6, 2007, 06:33 PM
The synthesis system works Perfectly fine how it does now. Sonic Team just is implementing it wrong by FORCING it on us to make Rare and S-Rank weapons.

Synthesis should be required for either :

A) making rare items you already have of a different element

B) Making really really high * weapons.

Personally, i think the game would be tons better if ALL weapons had a chance to drop fully done, just with no Elemental attribute at all. (unless their weapons like Crimson/Two Headed Ragan which have a set element already)

That way, in order to have a Truely unique weapon, people would already know becuase your weapon would be Elemented. Others with just their normal weapons would always have the Green counterpart.

It's too late for them to do something like that, and even if they did they wouldnt implement it.

Lets all just hope AoI has enough content where they dont whore it to themselves to milk us for money.

SolomonGrundy
Jun 6, 2007, 08:12 PM
the 'Monster Hunter' system worked pretty well.

if the synth system had zero chance of failure, and items were corresponingly rare for higher ranked items, then would anyone complain? I'm not sure I see the point of a synth system with fails. 9just as I don't see the point of a grind system with fails).

resetting, yes. failing? no.

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2007, 05:01 AM
well my proposed system involves perpetual improvement of a single weapon. with s rank frames there would have to be something that really made them unique...but I would rather continuously work on one weapon than keep feeding expensive materials to my lolibot to get cheap healing items....and it would make a lot of otherwise useless junk worthwhile again.

Zero-mx
Jun 7, 2007, 09:17 AM
I think you have a good idea, and I would also prefer this system over the current one. I tryed synthing three Phantom rifles (with my 100 Rng PM) and they all failed. It would be nice if I at least got some compensation for all the money I spent instead of some monomates.

Alkaar
Jun 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
On 2007-06-06 15:49, Garnet_Moon wrote:
And let all the n00bgunners run around with custom Double Sabers and Gunblades? Hah! No.

Gunblades, eh? That would be a great addition to gunner type characters. And I don't think it'd be too hard to pull that off either. We'd probably be able to link a saber PA and a bullet PA or one that performs a melee/shooting combo. Although the closest thing we'll have is the slicer.

Also, I'm a big fan of customization in games, so hunting down parts to customize/upgrade my weapons is something I'd like to do. Too bad we already have the synthing system implemented, which isn't bad, but also isn't great, especially when you fail all synths on a board... multiple times.

Niloklives
Jun 7, 2007, 07:17 PM
heh i didn't mean being able to combine wapon types. just a way to make weapons unique and interesting without sucking the life out of people with synthing and grinding