PDA

View Full Version : Why is PSU so much popular in JP?

Kimil
Jun 7, 2007, 09:35 PM
We both play the same game, why is it that their servers are so much more populated?
This bothers me so much, because it means that PSU is a gmae with potential but very little of the western world take advantage of it... I think I know the answer to this already, but I want to know what others think also

Why is PSU so much more popular in Japan than the rest of the world?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-06-07 20:22 ]</font>

Retehi
Jun 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
It's . . . a Japanese made game thats why.

pikachief
Jun 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
cuz the japanese like japanese games and western folk like western game...

physic
Jun 7, 2007, 09:37 PM
because they do better promotion in japan, and online games are a lot about the community. Fact is, only xbox has really promoted this game at all here

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Americans like competition, and there is no PvP.... making it less popular here, while japanese people work together.

It's cultural differences... for the most part Americans are raised about the individual, while japanese are raised around group think

THE JACKEL

Kion
Jun 7, 2007, 09:45 PM
Not to mention that everything in the game is Japanese. All of the emots and clothign styles are very stylistic of Japan. Also sony freaking owns japan. Every game shop i went to when i was there had literally ten rows of PS2 games, one, maybe two rows of gamecube, and a tiny dust covered corner for xbox. And the top ten selling games were always rpgs.
I had to go three weeks before the game came out there, but there was a PSu display in alot of stores too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-06-07 19:46 ]</font>

Kamica
Jun 7, 2007, 10:07 PM
On 2007-06-07 19:45, Kion wrote:
Also sony freaking owns japan.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-06-07 19:46 ]</font>

I thought that Japan was the Land of the Rising DS?

DurakkenX
Jun 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
Because when it released they got...
a art book
a music cd
a t-shirt
a cell phone strap
a bigger manual (seriously it's like 50-100pgs...ours is like 20 if that)

they also get demos...sponsors...ads...listened to...quicker fixes...and most likely GMs that actually care about the system...and less assanine hackers probably.

Overall it's because they get service... and product for what they pay...while we do not.

SaberOfAdept
Jun 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
DS > Sony
every kid and their whole entire family in japan owns a DS, even the homeless ones

however that being said, PSU is catered towards group work and respecting the community, which NA community lacks.

9lotus
Jun 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
because this game was barely advertised in the US

Almighty_Envy
Jun 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
Bigger Fan base

I did the math

They have aproximately 48 japanese players to one pc/ps2 player if i am correct

If that isnt right than its 21 japanese players to one NA/EU player

I have no idea because i havent slept in like 3 days ;.;

EDIT: Post setup

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Almighty_Envy on 2007-06-07 20:32 ]</font>

60Hz
Jun 7, 2007, 10:40 PM
I agree with 9lotus... no promotion in the states means unfulfilled potential - guaranteed. It has nothing to do with cultural differences (katamari sold here in the states and in japan and dont get me on pokemon/dragon ball/naruto)...

Also the press bashed the game here in the states while (if i remember correctly) it recieved a nar - perfect score in famitsu in japan. And the world listens when famitsu talks (especially whenver they give a perfect score, western rags even report when a game gets a perfect score from fami in the states! Now thats respectable!)

My 2 cents...

Hozanto
Jun 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
Because its quick and fast like thier life so they injoy more

Almighty_Envy
Jun 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
I would much rather live in japan

first and most importantly of all I like asians

Second of all Japan pwns where i live now

And last of all Japan is cool

that is all

BahnKnakyu
Jun 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
DurakkenX listed them all. But in before the anti-weaboo guys come in.

Kion
Jun 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
48 to 1. is it seriously that many?

Almighty_Envy
Jun 7, 2007, 11:36 PM
something like that.

i think 48-1 is just with pc/ps2 servers

21-1 i think is with all servers figured in

quick guestimation is that 21 is roughly how many japanese players are to all NA/EU servers

Kimil
Jun 8, 2007, 01:26 AM
Wow, I hate Sega of America Now.

They better fucking advertise the NA/EU versions of AoI

Or a little Blue Hedgehog is going to meet my Jeep Grand Cherokee's front left tire

WaveofBabies
Jun 8, 2007, 01:30 AM
see i wish they would combine japan servers with our own for those reasons. sure communication wouldn't be all that great, but it would be possible seeing as so many japanesse kids learn english.

could you imagine 6-8 universes full

all the time

Getintothegame
Jun 8, 2007, 01:32 AM
They haven't advertised PS games in the US since PSO, and I only remember seeing an ad in magazines.

Unless someone can show me otherwise?

Helly
Jun 8, 2007, 01:36 AM
I blame the release date. In the US it was released up against FF12 and the holiday rush of many other games. Afterwards poor reviews and lack of advertising continued to keep its sales low.

WaveofBabies
Jun 8, 2007, 01:36 AM
unfortunately only the "big bucks" games are advertised in the US.
shit like madden and def jam games

xennec
Jun 8, 2007, 01:44 AM
The title doesn't contain "Halo" or "Final Fantasy".

I say that only because this is for PC/PS2/XBOX. If this game was for Wii also, I am sure that it would be doing better. There are some people in this world who will only buy consoles from a specific company (fill in the blank with Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft). Since PSO was for GC, those Nintendo fanboys would probably get it for Wii if possible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xennec on 2007-06-07 23:48 ]</font>

VanHalen
Jun 8, 2007, 01:48 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:26, Kimil wrote:

Or a little Blue Hedgehog is going to meet my Jeep Grand Cherokee's front left tire

Couldn't you kill Amy instead? I still have faith in Sonic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

And the way to fix Sonic games is to get rid of her!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-06-07 23:48 ]</font>

xennec
Jun 8, 2007, 01:50 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:48, VanHalen wrote:

Couldn't you kill Amy instead? I still have faith in Sonic. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-06-07 23:48 ]</font>

D: But then sonic won't have a girlfriend (how long have they been going out?) and he will have no choice but to hook up with Tails!

VanHalen
Jun 8, 2007, 01:56 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:50, xennec wrote:

On 2007-06-07 23:48, VanHalen wrote:

D: But then sonic won't have a girlfriend (how long have they been going out?) and he will have no choice but to hook up with Tails!

Or Sally from the comics and the cartoon. I mean like he liked her better(He didn't run from her http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Criss
Jun 8, 2007, 01:58 AM
I think the utter lack of advertisement and bad critics are what really skewered out PSU's potential server population in the US. The only fact of having them do a minimum of advertisement on gaming websites and such for AoI would probably double the population. Especially since the much bigger amount of content (In comparison to PSU's release), bug fixes and gameplay additions will make the critics much more favorable towards AoI than it was to PSU.

Helly
Jun 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:44, xennec wrote:
The title doesn't contain "Halo" or "Final Fantasy".

I say that only because this is for PC/PS2/XBOX. If this game was for Wii also, I am sure that it would be doing better. There are some people in this world who will only buy consoles from a specific company (fill in the blank with Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft). Since PSO was for GC, those Nintendo fanboys would probably get it for Wii if possible.

Except the Revolution wasn't even online (gaming-wise) until a couple of weeks ago. Releasing it as an offline-only game would've just ticked off more people. If anything there should've been a PS3 version because that would've kept online and had the benefit of launch sales boost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Helly on 2007-06-08 00:02 ]</font>

zandra117
Jun 8, 2007, 02:07 AM
90% of the advertising of PSU was done by me and like 3 other people on the official xbox forums before the game was released. People there were interested because it was the first semi MMORPG that they had ever heard of besides FFXI on xbox360. (Huxley didn't count, thats an MMOFPS.) Also PSU was the first game to make use of the Xbox Live Marketplace for open beta testing, the second game to do that is Halo 3.

xennec
Jun 8, 2007, 02:08 AM
On 2007-06-08 00:01, Helly wrote

Except the Revolution wasn't even online (gaming-wise) until a couple of weeks ago. Releasing it as an offline-only game would've just ticked off more people. If anything there should've been a PS3 version because that would've kept online and had the benefit of launch sales boost.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Helly on 2007-06-08 00:02 ]</font>

Oh yeah, forgot about the whole no online games until pokemon is released deal.

February
Jun 8, 2007, 02:09 AM
Our population is the only reason I'm willing to embrace the idea of Merging the JP/US/EU servers. It's getting frustrating sometimes to find a decent group.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 8, 2007, 02:16 AM
On 2007-06-07 20:51, Almighty_Envy wrote:
I would much rather live in japan

first and most importantly of all I like asians

Second of all Japan pwns where i live now

And last of all Japan is cool

that is all

Ok, I don't know if you've ever been to Japan or not. I'm sure that many people here in PSOW would scrutinize you for that, but lemme tell you that I'm NOT one of them, and I agree alot w/ what you say. Also, let me tell you that I'm in Japan right now and so far, I'm liking it better than America.

Now back on topic, I'm here in Kyoto and when I go to Kawarimachi [Downtown Kyoto], I saw a poster of PSU, and when I went to the video game stores and internet cafes, I see those there too. Just goes to show that PSU is a bit more popular in Japan than in America.

VanHalen
Jun 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
I'n still waiting for the day PSU will get popular like that. ;_;

ShadowDragon28
Jun 8, 2007, 02:32 AM
I believe it.

But Shiro, if you go to Tokyo, people will a bit more "stand-offish" (this might be less pronounced in Kyoto though).
They will *act* polite but typically a lot of Japanese people are bigoted towards "Gaijin"
(i.e. Americans) They'll be "kind" and "polite" towards American visitors but there's a underlying distaste, distrust and dislike for Americans in general. (while secretly hating your guts.) I speak from experience.

I have plenty of of first hand experience with this "veiled bigotry" due to the small Japanese community where I live...

Sinue_v2
Jun 8, 2007, 03:29 AM
Lack of advertising or excitement in the press?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Sinue/01cover.jpg
It was the coverstory game in EGM.

Great reviews at E3 (http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu#)
(click on the "press" tab)

PSU was also, for quite a while, near the top of 1UP's most anticipated RPG list.

And honestly - you know a game is hyped when there are lines for it even in MY hometown. Almost NO games have lines for them - PSU did. Not nearly as big as the Halo 2 lines - but 15 people waiting for it's release, whereas you couldn't get the Walmart out here to stock a copy of ANY version of PSO.

The advertising was subpar even by subpar standards, sure, but I still firmly believe that PSU failed on it's own volition. If it had been a great and captivating game - recomendations of the game would have spread by word of mouth. Instead, we start seeing (on the PS2/PC) a noticable decline in players even before Christmas time. Not more than a mere two months after the game's release.

Or Sally from the comics and the cartoon. I mean like he liked her better(He didn't run from her )

There's a REASON why Sonic is always running away from Amy you know...

http://www.superdickery.com/images/seduction/Can.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-08 01:39 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Jun 8, 2007, 04:37 AM
um that was the May 2005 issue... and PSU didn't come out until Oct 2006.

Here's what In-my-view what I think happened:

Most "casual gamers" and a lot of rpg fans kind of forgot about the game. And other much more higher-profile/more hyped games took the spotlight.

It seems to me a big factor was the lame reviews based on only the flawed and poorly translated storymode and only 1% - 2% of the games online content even available lead to it being poorly recieved by Reviewers, and the whiniest and bitchiest of gamers.

Bad "Word of mouth" based on those tanget of gamers and shoddy reviews (that greatly magnified every small flaw into a Mountain) is what lead to many not giving it a chance on the PS2 and PC.

And games like WoW, and FF IIX had most MMO/rpg grinders hooked on playing them and not much else. (and still do unfortunately.)

PSU has some flaws (often magnified a bit to much in one way or another) but by now it's online charm, challege and some of it's content has grown with special events like OP:Firebreak,
and so IMO PSU has gotten quite interesting, and become pretty darn fun IMO; despite it's few frustrating flaws.

IMO The biggest "flaws" has more to do with the selfishness, greed, way-to-high level of impatience of many segments of PSU's online community. -__-

There are always those "niche" games that either get flamed and passed on or highly praised and *still* passed on by a majority of gamers. Such is the fate of great games like: Thousand Arms, Breath of Fire IV, ICO, Shadows of the Collosus, Okami, Odin Sphere, and many other "niche" games....

IMV PSU is like a little known fine wine that takes time to age, and as it ages it tastes better and it's flavor has to be savored slowly; not gulped down like a Pepsi which far too many seem to not understand.

Too many players are gulping down the whole thing so fast they aren't really taking much time to fully enjoy the "full flavor" of the wine that is PSU.
IMO The older PSU gets the better it gets (content and features wise, and AoI is apart of that.)

Too many would rather WHINE about everything they can whine about it seems.

Arika
Jun 8, 2007, 05:07 AM
On 2007-06-07 19:37, physic wrote:
because they do better promotion in japan, and online games are a lot about the community. Fact is, only xbox has really promoted this game at all here

ashley50
Jun 8, 2007, 05:19 AM
Americans like american games...Fact?

Sinue_v2
Jun 8, 2007, 05:55 AM
um that was the May 2005 issue... and PSU didn't come out until Oct 2006.

Exactly. It was getting positive press and anticipation built up long before it was even due to be out. PSU looked to be one hell of a promising game title, not just to fans of PSO and PS - but to media outlets and journalists as well.

The rest of your post seems like apologetic diversions. It's WoW's fault. It's the platform release/timing fault. Advertising's fault. Basher's fault. ect... ect..

It's Sega's and Sonic Team's fault for making PSU sub-par and screwing it up further with their unlocked content policy and poor support. You may not think those reasons are valid, or that they're exaggerated, but in a thread discussing why PSU isn't very popular over here you have to acknowladge the complaints and the reasons why people left or haven't bothered to pick it up - even if you don't agree with them.

A fine wine?

DurakkenX
Jun 8, 2007, 06:29 AM
you know...perhaps it could be the fact that PSU is an unfinished, poorly translated game that the developers didn't meet any of their promises with. We're 7/8 months down the line and it's still not in any way a complete game and that which is released is very poorly put together. Those of us that are hanging on in US/EU are mostly just here out of the fact we hope it'll get better cuz of some sort of foolish desire for the game to meet it's potential that time tells us will never happen. Let's be honest in the fact that, Phantasy Star, was a hardly known title when PSO came out so it didn't have much of a community base to begin with in america and now with such a bad showing it's highly unlikely it will ever recover.

long story short, it is a cultural thing...we're not as big of suckers as they are appearantly ^.^ though then again i'm not speaking of myself cuz i'm gonna continue to play PSU which means i'm just as much a sucker as them lol

lostinseganet
Jun 8, 2007, 06:54 AM
On 2007-06-07 23:30, WaveofBabies wrote:
see i wish they would combine japan servers with our own for those reasons. sure communication wouldn't be all that great, but it would be possible seeing as so many japanesse kids learn english.

could you imagine 6-8 universes full

all the time

Oh if you were only there for pso dreamcast... at its peak pso dreamcast had a million players world wide and you could potientally play with them all 4 at a time. good times.. good times.

fumatanera
Jun 8, 2007, 01:16 PM
you can't really blame them for not advertising. i mean this is a buisness. their main market IS japan. we are just the surpluss sales. of course they are going to cater to where the majority of the money comes from. the game isn't going to be a failure if the US/EU market tanks.
although i think if they hadn't kept people hangin on with the horrible idea of Ep III and then BluBurst, they wouldn't have spread the US/EU player base in so many directions (and on one console).. IMO all the Ep III and BluBUrst time/effort should have gone into PSU to get it done more quickly and satisfy the gamers want of more PS.
i do hope the have some sort of NA AoI advertising campaign