PDA

View Full Version : PSU: The Eternal Question: Human or Newman?

Allison_W
Jun 8, 2007, 04:56 AM
Some may know (most probably don't give a rat's ass) that I recently remade my avatar character, Allison. Well, I'm still in the process of sorting her out, but I think I've figured out a good proportions arrangement.

Now what I don't know is to go human or newman (expected classes: fT/AT/WT, probably a smidgen of PT, maybe a little GT). I've pored over the stats, but either way, I'm going to take an unfortunate hit somewhere--I could obsess about it for ages, but there's no crystal-clear answer statwise.

So instead, I'm looking at it in a different way. Bearing in mind that this character is supposed to be modeled after myself: fTnewearls are about as prolific as bunnies/I'm ambivalent about giving up my "FOmarl cred," and I'm human; but a newman's stats (lower power/resilience, higher agility and mental stats) would probably reflect my own abilities better.

You can see the dilemma. My dear grandmother suggests newman for the better ability representation, but I'm still a little torn, and wondering what kind of brilliant insights you folks might have to offer.

ChronoTrigga
Jun 8, 2007, 05:03 AM
Go with whatever resembles u and your personality the best.

pikachief
Jun 8, 2007, 05:09 AM
i was making the exact same desicion(same classes too) and i QUICKLY decided to make a human! newmans are only good with magic! A.K.A. your not gonna be as good wtih guns or swords with WT, GT, PT, and AT, as u would be as a human! i would definatly pick human if your gonna do more than just FT and WT, and especially if your gonna be PT!

Akaimizu
Jun 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
Actually, Guntechers can easily pride on a high ATA stat over ATP as well. Newmans do well as one because they aren't taking a big ATP hit from the human, and get a good boost to ATA. That means you'll more likely hit with more shot (on the way up), landing the precious Status effects more.

It's not a crown direct damage class, so Newmans are good with consistancy with which many ways of playing that class bank on.

As far as threat level, to tell you the truth, just about anything that scares a Newman Guntecher, will do the same to a Human one.

I've heard Protransers are a different story, but I haven't played one. You'll see arguments from both sides from people who either played one or played with one.

Newmans can do well with guns, so don't let anybody tell you different. They aren't losing enough ATP to compare to the fact that their ATA is high. Guns and especially Status Effects are best when they hit more often, statistically speaking. Just remember, we're comparing to Humans, not other races where the difference is more notable.

From the defense front, your defense is going to be pretty much in line with the Humans. If it kills you, it'll often be the same for the human side. Difference is that the slight advantage of human surviving certain *close shaves* by taking a physical attack, will be similar to the Newman taking a tech one.

One might say, but the max HP. Yes, Physical attacks will be dangerous for a while, but early Guntechers, until they reach their late game all have to deal with being vulnerable from all sides. Just be glad you got that extra hundred MST on you. That class learns the five Ds of Dodgeball, and it's a mantra for them, in all occassions. (save for taking the occasional risk for a party member or two).

Protranser, is not my forte, but many seem to say the human stats actually do make the difference, in that class.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-08 09:12 ]</font>

vfloresjr24
Jun 8, 2007, 11:12 AM
I say human. Why you ask? Because I like being a hunter and newmans don't have the atp that I want to hack and slash the enemies. I guess you can say its just a personal opinion.

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
Don't human 'transers get a stat boost?

pikachief
Jun 8, 2007, 11:19 AM
yea they do, and since she wants to be guntecher and wartecher also, shes gonna need good stats of everything!

Akaimizu
Jun 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
Human Transers do get a stat boost. I'm not sure how significant the percentage, though. Considering the stat boost percentage didn't exactly make an impact on Human Guntecher compared to the non-stat-boosted GTs like Casts.

But that's true. Originally, it was posted that Newmans got all the same stat boosts as humans for all mixed classes, but it's since been changed that only Humans got it for Protranser.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-08 09:24 ]</font>

Niered
Jun 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
Your choosing a race based on 4 techer classes and a protranser. Newmans would be a good choice with there bonuses in techer, also, as a force or ranger, your going to want that EVP more than that DFP. Most people here will tell you evasion is worthless in this game, its not. Only hunters should hate EVP, everyone else (especially gunners) benefit from it.

Also, your grandmother gives you gaming advice?! Hot dog, I wish mine even UNDERSTOOD what a vidjya gayme was.

Akaimizu
Jun 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evasion is mainly worthless in the early game. The late game, however, it actually proves itself. You just have to go through the growing pains of it being a bit of a hinderance than a help. Though I guess I could say, Newmans probably get through those growing pains quicker, with that extra EVP.

CelestialBlade
Jun 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
Newmen get a bonus for any class involving Technics.

Personally I wouldn't stress over the situation, only a stat-elitist punk is really going to notice the insignificant difference in stats between Human and Newman. Go with whatever you think would fit your character best, any gain in stats you might get isn't going to counterbalance not being pleased with how your character looks/fits your personality.

pikachief
Jun 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
people think EVP is worthless? i almost bought a moatoob armor for my cast cuz of the really high evasion! too bad i was broke http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Akaimizu
Jun 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
In the early game, most people thought EVP was worthless because most people, as they were going up levels (we did have lower level caps, too) The only thing EVP did was every once in a while, hold the player in place while the rest of the monsters came in and did all kinds of damage.

Many lesser EVP folk didn't see the good EVP uses when the level caps were lower and their EVP didn't rise to the numbers where it kicks in with reasonable frequency.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-06-08 09:45 ]</font>

AweOfShe
Jun 8, 2007, 11:45 AM
I don't believe EVP is useless. It's only useless for those people that spam nothing but PAs all run, and are worried about their PAs getting cut-off, wasting PP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<3 EVP.

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2007, 11:55 AM
How 'bout this, do you want pointy ears, or no? ;]

JAFO22000
Jun 8, 2007, 12:25 PM
You consulted your grandma?

majan
Jun 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
I'm a huge advocate of play-how-you-want.but,if I had to make an opinion,newmans are good for 1 thing,and 1 thing only: fortetechers. their ATP is too weak to be wartecher or fighgunner or anything else basically,and the same can be said about their HP and DFP.

on the other hand, they do have good ATA,so guntecher is a somewhat feasible option since they get a class/race combo bonus in ATP.still though, humans get a similar bonus, and have better base stats to work with.so I do stick by my original claim:newmans are fortetecher only,in my book.but,its up to you man.if your looking for versatility,human all the way.

in a predicament like yours Id say human since your undecided.besides,even if you do decide to go fortetecher with a human,they make OK fortetechers.

SolomonGrundy
Jun 8, 2007, 01:20 PM
Say what you will, and play what you want.

The following is an absolute truth: newmans get more TP, MST, and EVP, then they give up in HP, ATP, and DFP in comparison to humans. The game itself also favors accuracy over power: arm unit Solid Power S gives 160ATP, and -80ATA, yet Solid Hit S gives only 100 ATA, and it's -100 ATP. Mega Power gives 50 ATP
There is no B rank unit which gives ONLY ATA.

Again: play human for the balanced stats, or because you like being human.

panzer_unit
Jun 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
Human stats look okay compared to Newmans for FighGunner and Protranser jobs: they're nicely set apart when they have exclusive racial bonuses on top of their (slight) inherent HP / ATP / DFP advantages. Otherwise yeah, pointy ears for the win.

Someone with a Human or Newman PT can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Human PT's are basically working on clearing stat requirements for melee weapons all the way to 80/10... it's going to be even worse for Newmans, you may be waiting on level cap increases before you get an equal shake on equipment quality.
My cast was pretty close to max level/rank when he could finally equip Ank Pikor, and at 80/10 he's got just enough DFP (110 pts) to wear 9* Tenora armor.

Rashiid
Jun 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
The Eternal Question:

Force/Fortetecher or Any Other Class?

Ethan-Waber
Jun 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
Go CAST n00b.

malice_nyc
Jun 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
On 2007-06-08 09:55, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
How 'bout this, do you want pointy ears, or no? ;]

That's what it boils down to. Ignore stats, and play the race you like the most.

I like Newmans the best, and I play melee classes. Other people like Humans more... go with whatever feels right... the (minor) stat differences won't matter compared to how much you like the character.

Allison_W
Jun 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
D:

The question wasn't which one would be more effective statwise, but whether I should go with unpointy ears/FOmarl cred over stats that better resemble my iRL self.

Weeaboolits
Jun 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
Newmans have cool ears. ;]

ThEoRy
Jun 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
On 2007-06-08 11:51, Rashiid wrote:
The Eternal Question:

Force/Fortetecher or Any Other Class?

My final answer is..... Fortetecher. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I say go human if you are truly going to multi-class as much as it appears, and as it's been said, especially if you're gonna protrance.

But as it's also been said, play what you want, do what you do, just have fun.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

*ThEoRy*

mechatra
Jun 9, 2007, 06:47 AM
Well considering your actual question. I think it really depends on how attached you are to the oldschool Fomarl Cred.
In Psu it doesn't really feel like that cred exsists anymore so I would probably recomend Newman, simply since you'll feel a stronger link between yourself and your character if it is a closer resembalance of yourself as you said.

The stronger bond you have with your character I find the mroe you really like them, and who wants to play as a character they dislike right?

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
Newmans can be good Wartechers too, just don't use Twin Daggers w/ them and you'll be fine. Read Solomon's guide to Newman Wartechers for more info. Newmans also don't suck as Gunners since they're not supposed to be owning things w/ ATP.

VanHalen
Jun 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Go with the Human, since I'm making a female Human WT/fT. One day I will.....one day.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 9, 2007, 08:29 PM
Humans>Newmans>Casts>Beasts

the order of ruling

Go with Humans they are the best and superior race.

Finae
Jun 9, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, superior at getting crap luck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Oh wait, Sega gave human females 3 luck for once, but they'll term racist again and give newman 3 luck soon. So all you female humans don't get ur panties in a bunch, you won't have 3 luck again for a long time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Not offering advice since some others pointed out things I was going to say anyways. I'll just say I like newman more due to the ears ;P. Base stats don't mean much to me unless we're talking about Fortetecher or Fortefighter. Oh and Cast SUPREMACY! Go cast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

pso123hrf
Jun 9, 2007, 10:12 PM
On 2007-06-08 09:33, Typheros wrote:
Newmen get a bonus for any class involving Technics.

Personally I wouldn't stress over the situation, only a stat-elitist punk is really going to notice the insignificant difference in stats between Human and Newman. Go with whatever you think would fit your character best, any gain in stats you might get isn't going to counterbalance not being pleased with how your character looks/fits your personality.

Incorrect

Newmans get a boost as a FT...Humans get a bonus in sub classes (PT/WT/GT/fG) >_>

Sasamichan
Jun 9, 2007, 10:19 PM
I thought humans don't get Fortegunner bonus.

BahnKnakyu
Jun 9, 2007, 10:28 PM
If you're talking completely on a looks standpoint, regular ears ftw.

If you're talking on a effectiveness standpoint, I would go Human only because they are more survivable with the hybrid classes than a newman is. ESPECIALLY PT - you're gonna wait a LONG time to use the melee weaps as a PT.

VanHalen
Jun 9, 2007, 10:30 PM
On 2007-06-09 20:19, Sasamichan wrote:
I thought humans don't get Fortegunner bonus.

Even though this is about Newmans what I'm going to say but, when I switched over to Fortefighter for my Newman at lvl 36 I had a HP and DFP bonus as a Fighgunner. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Allison_W
Jun 9, 2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the insights, folks.

(Granted, still a little frustrated... I'm starting to put the stat representation ahead of pointy or unpointy ears, but then again, I still like my Moubu. asdl;kfjasdl;fkj;slfjk.)

Allison_W
Jun 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
OK, remade as a newman! And already breathing through a paper bag at the thought of committing to it when I consider that I'll always suck with Moubu and not even be able to use a Ran-misaki until 65/WT10 while my friends try to reassure me to stick with it.

One day, I will meet a therapist, and I will put all twelve of her children through Harvard.