PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 and PS2/PC reunite?!!!???

Kira_Yamato
Jun 9, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hi psow members.So will each server be linked someday.Will Xbox be linked to PS2/PC?On the expansion it should be so nice that we ending up having one server for all the platform(PS2,PC and Xbox 360).Should this dream of all come to reality?

Ether
Jun 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
I highly doubt the XBOX and PC/PS2 servers will ever be linked, Microsoft wants to keep Live as closed off as possible

Theres a chance of PC/PS2 being linked with the Japanese servers, though thats pretty unlikely as well

TetsuyaHikari
Jun 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
I may end up being wrong about this, but I'll try anyway..lol. The reason I believe this will never happen is because of the 360 voice chat feature.

We don't have such a thing, so I believe it would conflict with PC/PS2 users. I'm not entirely sure about this, but..this is just my guess ^.^;;

Realmz
Jun 9, 2007, 09:14 PM
while it would be awesome if everyone was together, it'll never happen. Microsoft wants to keep whats theres alone.

Kira_Yamato
Jun 9, 2007, 09:21 PM
Ya I didnt think about the different voice we have...you got a point since XBOX 360 and PS2/PC have different voices..I dont think we will be linked together cuz of that.Or maybe they'll manage to do something about voices.

Kent
Jun 9, 2007, 09:40 PM
It will never happen. To honestly think otherwise is pretty foolish. :/

Kimil
Jun 9, 2007, 09:44 PM
It wont happen:
Reason why?
PSU 360 is embeded into Xbox Live and it takes atvantage of a lot of the XBL feature. Voice, Friendslist, and the market place.
This would not be compatible with the PS2/PC version

We have a better chance of the PS2/PC version being merged with the JP version, but even then, not going to happen.

Soukosa
Jun 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
On 2007-06-09 19:21, Kira_Yamato wrote:
Ya I didnt think about the different voice we have...you got a point since XBOX 360 and PS2/PC have different voices..I dont think we will be linked together cuz of that.Or maybe they'll manage to do something about voices.

Actually, the japanese and western versions have different voices, even on the 360. Which means the 10 JP 360 players out there hear different voices from the rest of the players and vice versa. ST wins an award for that.

Kufell
Jun 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
I dont see why it cant happen, we know PS2 and PC can play together, and there is an 360 game that has 360/PC, so I'm doubting the chance of it happening is impossible, I can see Microsoft holding back on allowing it though due to the occurances of hacking though on the PC/PS2 version.

natewifi
Jun 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
no.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-06-09 20:09 ]</font>

Kira_Yamato
Jun 9, 2007, 10:12 PM
The son of a @#$%.Just joking lol =P.Well how sad it his =(.
Here a good question.Would sega do much more money if all platform be merged together?More players mean more fun and more fun mean staying longer and staying longer mean alot of money to them.I dont understand why they separate us.

TetsuyaHikari
Jun 10, 2007, 12:57 AM
Actually...I would think they'd be getting MORE money separating us like this. Now I could be entirely wrong about that, cause I'm not familiar with how servers work and such, but..it just seems like they're making more money right now by having the 360 users on a different server as the PC/PS2 users, as opposed to having everyone all play on one server.

Phetty
Jun 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
On 2007-06-09 19:13, Kikumaru wrote:
I may end up being wrong about this, but I'll try anyway..lol. The reason I believe this will never happen is because of the 360 voice chat feature.

We don't have such a thing, so I believe it would conflict with PC/PS2 users. I'm not entirely sure about this, but..this is just my guess ^.^;;

Actually I think it might not bne a proublem. We cant talk to Jp players on the 360 as far as I know. Theyre on another chat chanel or something then us. But text can be seen by both.

Kent
Jun 10, 2007, 01:05 AM
Especially since people would just be qutting all together, instead of just switching servers. :/

Sychosis
Jun 10, 2007, 01:13 AM
On 2007-06-09 23:03, Phetty wrote:

On 2007-06-09 19:13, Kikumaru wrote:

Actually I think it might not bne a proublem. We cant talk to Jp players on the 360 as far as I know. Theyre on another chat chanel or something then us. But text can be seen by both.

Nah, we can hear JP players. We talk to Shim all the time. They just don't talk to us http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

landman
Jun 10, 2007, 01:58 AM
Yeah, enter to a full Japanese party and you will only hear "omedeto gozaimasu" and "arigato gozaimasu" for every rare drop in a mission lol

I don't see the technical problem merging the servers, I only see haxeta x_X

Kion
Jun 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
On 2007-06-09 19:13, Ether wrote:

Theres a chance of PC/PS2 being linked with the Japanese servers, though thats pretty unlikely as well

I don't think the US version of PSu for ps2 can type in japanese. communication would be a problem unless we type romaji (yuck >.<) or they type in engrish (yuck >.<). I would still prefer to be linked. It would be alot more fun with a larger population.

Maybe they could manage to throw in an IME for us ps2 users. But i doubt that they'd link the servers in the first place as that would be an unprecedented feat of ST actually getting something right.

Sekani
Jun 10, 2007, 08:24 AM
While a server merge would be technically possible (see Final Fantasy XI), for various reasons I don't see it happening anytime in the comprehensible future.

Nobo
Jun 10, 2007, 08:30 AM
I hope not so there would be like no hacking on the 360 server! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Rashiid
Jun 10, 2007, 08:43 AM
i sure ST wanted to; but once they saw the hax and haxeta; knew that it would ruin the game (hell id quit; whats the fun in a game if everythings handed to ya?)

i vote no for merging.

even if so; we 360`rz are assholes. we`ll segragate parties. "360 Only; if i cant see you on recent players on XBL menu; then BOOT"

Nobo
Jun 10, 2007, 08:46 AM
On 2007-06-10 06:43, Rashiid wrote:

"360 Only; if i cant see you on recent players on XBL menu; then BOOT"

Oh yeah how would the XBL thing work? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Sexy_Raine
Jun 10, 2007, 08:47 AM
No, don't see it happening

Rashiid
Jun 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
On 2007-06-10 06:46, Nobo wrote:

"360 Only; if i cant see you on recent players on XBL menu; then BOOT"

Oh yeah how would the XBL thing work? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

exactally http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 09:17 AM
the only reason behind this that we know that prevents 360 and pc/ps2 linkage is because MS and Sega don't work well together when it comes to server maintenance and such...

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
We don't have such a thing, so I believe it would conflict with PC/PS2 users.

PSU 360 is unplayable without a headset? No? So what would be the difference. Sega would have to make a lot of caveats to the PS2/PC side of things to accomadate or block 360 features on our side - such as routing all voice communication through the speakers for PS2/PC servers and restrict them to replying solely by Keyboard.

If absolutely needed, changes could even be made to the XBL dashboard to facilitate cross-platform features while that game is playing. The Halo 3 Beta, for example, adds several options specific to that game to the XBL dashboard.

PSU 360 is embeded into Xbox Live and it takes atvantage of a lot of the XBL feature. Voice, Friendslist, and the market place.

These features could fairly easily be blocked. PS2/PC people wouldn't appear on your playerlist - nor have a GamerTag obviously. IIRC from the Beta demo - Friends lists for PSU and GamerTag Friendslists are kept seperate. I don't see the problem here. A friend's PC from the PS2/PC version might have to be modified so that you can't send voice messages or some such - but it's possible.

An even simpler way to accomodate this would be to keep the servers seperate - but link gamertags to PlaySega logins. This would allow X360 players access to the PS2/PC servers from their 360's. FFXI plays on the PS2/PC - and they don't seem to have many compatability problems. As far as downloadable content from the Marketplace - name one that actually has an impact on the game. Automatic Updates are available on all platforms. However, on the downside, this may still seperate characters between servers.

Also, is it known that Microsoft runs and manages the PSU servers on XBL? They seem to have the exact same update schedule, maintinence, and events that the PS2/PC servers have. IIRC, sepecial events are hosted by Sega GM's, not MS. You don't even NEED Live to play PSU - as a silver account will work just as well as a Gold account.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-10 10:30 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Jun 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm sure some of us would LOOOVE for the servers to be merged and all, but, ah, no dice, I'd rather not http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 12:42 PM
Sinue that was the excuse they gave on PSO1&2 and maintained on PSU that that was the same reason they were separating the servers. who maintains them I don't know, but I imagine that MS maintains the servers since there is no real reason why they shouldn't. GMs just need a special access that can be written into the software ^.^

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 01:25 PM
Sinue that was the excuse they gave on PSO1&2 and maintained on PSU that that was the same reason they were separating the servers.

I'm just saying that the excuse is "Bullshit", because they obviously CAN connect the servers should they so choose. It's been done with other games.

who maintains them I don't know, but I imagine that MS maintains the servers since there is no real reason why they shouldn't.

I don't know either - but on the flip side of the argument, we DO know that Microsoft maintained the PSO servers - and the there was a clear and large disparity between events and maintinence on the NGC version vs. the Xbox version. Whereas the NGC servers are still down, I believe the Xbox Ep I & II servers are still chugging and stuck in a perpetual Christmas.

GMs just need a special access that can be written into the software ^.^

Sorry, but to me that doesn't seem like a very wise move to allow an outside corperation access to your companies servers, expecially if MS are such control freaks as they're painted as being.

9lotus
Jun 10, 2007, 01:37 PM
I doubt they'll be unified, but I wouldn't mind being able to migrate characters from PC to 360

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well see what I take from the situation is that MS got pissed off at Sega because they were supposed to maintain the servers, but Sega turned around and said that MS was supposed to. This hurt X-box live in a way as it didn't live up to the standards they want to have. So i'm betting that either MS handles everything as GMs don't have any real power anyways or Sega handles everything and the 360 only things are either just extensions of the basic stuff that comes in the 360 devo-kit and has little to do with the other stuff... This would mean that the system is actually accessing 2 or 3 servers insteado f just the one and could explain the mild lag experienced by the 360 players. But I would say that the 360 servers are handled all by MS given past problems and the fact they have a demo server which i doubt Sega would spring for ^.^

VanHalen
Jun 10, 2007, 01:43 PM

even if so; we 360`rz are assholes. we`ll segragate parties. "360 Only; if i cant see you on recent players on XBL menu; then BOOT"

I see how it is.

Rhedrimond
Jun 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
It's not all that impossible, as FFXI is on the 360 and on the same servers with all the other versions... Though, I don't know how voice chat is implemented in that version.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
Though, I don't know how voice chat is implemented in that version.

It's not. You can still voice-chat through the dashboard with another person, but not in-game. You also can't send friend requests and such in-game I believe. You have to exchange gamertags through text I think, and do it the long way by going into your friends list and selecting "Add Friend".

malice_nyc
Jun 10, 2007, 03:24 PM
I wish they would be merged... PSU is not a hugely popular game (or at least outside of Japan), and its kind of sad that out community is so arbitrarily split in two. I realize there would be economic issues, but I think it would be a plus overall for everyone... more players means more friends, more parties, and more fun.

Also, it would kill console war issues once and for all.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 10, 2007, 03:24 PM
dude we should so get voice chat on pc/ps2!

i wanna hear people saying "My name is Sally" In a deap voice xD

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
No, it wouldn't kill console war issues. It would make them worse.

Also, in favor of the servers being split - if cheating were to become rampant on the PC/PS2 version again - then it would affect the WHOLE PSU community. Alot of PSU players switched to the 360 for the very purpose of getting away from the cheaters.

Also - it is much easier to cheat on the PS2/PC version, and I don't think Microsoft would want a blight like that associated with their service. They've generally been pretty good at insisting that glitches and cheats be patched - or at least implimenting patches that the game producers make. It's not uncommon to put in a game and be forced to download a patch in order to play that game on Xbox Live. I think, wasn't the run & gun glitch on Gears of War recently patched? This is something the would have no control over if the servers were merged because they cannot control or dictate terms to PS2/PC users.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
Your right, ps2 goes to 360 and leaves the pc users xP

Tykwa
Jun 10, 2007, 04:50 PM
If they merged I would quit.
I love my voice chat.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
If they merged I would quit.
I love my voice chat.

Why would you have to give up voice chat? You could just boot PS2/PC people or set up 360 player only games and boot whoever comes in that doesn't use VC.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 10, 2007, 05:32 PM
well i know where this is going, its gonna turn into a big flame war between console segregation and why mainly 360 is against it >.>

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
That wasn't obvious from the topic title?

Hell I'm surprised that it hasn't turned into a flame war already.

malice_nyc
Jun 10, 2007, 05:54 PM
On 2007-06-10 15:42, Sinue_v2 wrote:
That wasn't obvious from the topic title?

Hell I'm surprised that it hasn't turned into a flame war already.

The game (and PSOW) would be better if there wasn't such needless hostility between the sets of players,

That is all.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 10, 2007, 05:56 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD can a mod please lock this topic?

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
you know... a merging of the servers would help both economies...

360 would get a big influx of meseta
pc/ps2 would get the benefits of cut prices and rares in shops that aren't on their servers...
the meseta would be spread over 3-4000 players rather than 600-1000, cutting the average amount of meseta a person has by about 3/4 and increasing. it would also stabilize the prices a bit better. 360prices are going up and ps2 prices are going down so this would quicken the process overall

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 06:48 PM
On 2007-06-10 16:47, DurakkenX wrote:

pc/ps2 would get the benefits of cut prices and rares in shops that aren't on their servers...
the meseta would be spread over 3-4000 players rather than 600-1000, cutting the average amount of meseta a person has by about 3/4 and increasing. it would also stabilize the prices a bit better. 360prices are going up and ps2 prices are going down so this would quicken the process overall

No.

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 06:56 PM
On 2007-06-10 16:48, Esufer wrote:

No.Yes.

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 07:02 PM
Though... now that I think of it, one reason I don't want the servers to ever be merged, is the 360 version of AoI will be a downloadable version... The data been on the hardrive? I remember back in Halo 2 on XBL when the first new maps were made downloadable... Having the data not through the disk made it far easier for hackers to mod maps such.

Lets keep us serperate LOLHAX come November XD

Kent
Jun 10, 2007, 07:25 PM
On 2007-06-10 16:48, Esufer wrote:

No.

Esufer has the correct response to this one.

The main reason a lot of people left the PC/PS2 servers for the Xbox 360 servers in the first place, is to get away from the complete and total lack of a balanced economy. It's one of the main reasons I did.

Really, though, there's no possible good that can come of merging the servers together, especially for Sonic Team.

The people who left the PC/PS2 servers would get their reason for having done that stripped away by the influx of ridiculous amounts of money, there'd be even fewer people that use voice chat instead of typing, and all of the Xbox Live features wouldn't be guaranteed to work with other players.

This isn't Shadowrun, and it isn't even an MMORPG like FFXI. The overabundance of security the platform offers is more than enough reason to say that the platforms should not be connected - people come to the 360 version specifically for that security, and for all of the Xbox Live features that work invariably with all of their games. They don't want any part of that compromised, and I can guarantee you that a lot of people would end up leaving if there was some sort of merger.

And a bunch of users leaving, is really not something Sonic Team wants.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
You install PSU AoI on the PC version, you know. It's on a HDD. Hell all of PSU as it is now for the PC runs from the HDD. You don't need the disk at all. There's nothing more to worry about in that reguard than what we've already been presented with, and as said before, security is much tighter on the X360 version. I don't think modding content saved to the X360 HDD is currently possible, or else we'd probably be seeing user-mods for Oblivion since Shivering Isles is contained entirely on the HDD.

DonRoyale
Jun 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'd LOVE to see it happen, not only to stop the pointless bickering between the servers, but sadly, it won't if ST wants to keep its players period, much less keep them happy.

If the servers WERE merged, the whining elitist assholes that ran to the 360 in the first place just because of the haxeta would quit, because the haxeta would be back.

Still, it'd be a sight to see the mass replies that would outbreak from it if it did happen. One can only dream, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
On 2007-06-10 17:27, Sinue_v2 wrote:
You install PSU AoI on the PC version, you know. It's on a HDD. Hell all of PSU as it is now for the PC runs from the HDD. You don't need the disk at all. There's nothing more to worry about in that reguard than what we've already been presented with, and as said before, security is much tighter on the X360 version. I don't think modding content saved to the X360 HDD is currently possible, or else we'd probably be seeing user-mods for Oblivion since Shivering Isles is contained entirely on the HDD.

It's not possible.
Doing anything bad results in a console ban.

It's quite the deterrent.

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 07:32 PM
So I'm an asshole because I went to 360?

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:36 PM
On 2007-06-10 17:32, Parn wrote:
So I'm an asshole because I went to 360?

Yes you are. Now go sit in your asshole corner, you naughty naughty man! >O

*stomp stomp rant*

Kent
Jun 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
On 2007-06-10 17:29, DonRoyale wrote:
whining elitist assholes that ran to the 360

Pot, kettle, black, etc.

Don't be a dick; it isn't good for discussions.

Sekani
Jun 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
The 360 players took a vote Durakken, and 95% of them agreed that you really need a swift kick to your groin.

Sinue_v2
Jun 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yes you are. Now go sit in your asshole corner, you naughty naughty man! >O

You should make him an asshole hat, you know - kinda like the dunce caps, but it says asshole on it. Maybe with a little picture of a butt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-06-10 17:41 ]</font>

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
I don't think I'd look very sexy with a cap. I would be very sad.

Kion
Jun 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
Seeing as this arguement is drawing so much heat, i can't imagine a merging of 360 and ps2/pc working out, not to mention the technical differences.
Personally, I'm very okay with the servers not merging as it keeps all the rif-raf 360 side. stay away losers ;p

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
On 2007-06-10 17:37, Sekani wrote:
The 360 players took a vote Durakken, and 95% of them agreed that you really need a swift kick to your groin.

That's it, we're getting married.

DurakkenX
Jun 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hey Sekani... most of the world's population thinks I'm an asshole...of course most of the world's population is also far less kind than I am...but hey that's their decision

#1. This hacking problem that people keep raving about is far far far exaggerated. You don't see people running around with hacked weapons or lots and lots of meseta.

#2. The "hacked" meseta that is still in the game is hover around 5-20mil per person...spread that over quadruple the playerbase and that become 1.25 to 5mil...which what the average player of the 360 economy...gee i am so surprised.

#3. Quite frankly, The players that did leaver PC/PS2 and went to 360 from my experience with most of them are well undesirables anyways. Granted not all, but most.

#4. If you transfered from PC/PS2 to 360... and you'd leave...more than likely you like the game and your gonna play it regardless.

#5. Weren't you all the ones not wanting 360 connected because 360 was gonna be the easiest thing in the world to hack? Seems to me you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking about your points.

#6. 360 is hardly unhackable...it's an MS product v.v the most widely hacked programs come from MS, you really think that they are gonna develop an unhackable system for a game console and not for a PC? If someone put their mind to it i bet ya it wouldn't be that hard.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:06 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:05, DurakkenX wrote:
Hey Sekani... most of the world's population thinks I'm an asshole...of course most of the world's population is also far less kind than I am...but hey that's their decision

#1. This hacking problem that people keep raving about is far far far exaggerated. You don't see people running around with hacked weapons or lots and lots of meseta.

#2. The "hacked" meseta that is still in the game is hover around 5-20mil per person...spread that over quadruple the playerbase and that become 1.25 to 5mil...which what the average player of the 360 economy...gee i am so surprised.

#3. Quite frankly, The players that did leaver PC/PS2 and went to 360 from my experience with most of them are well undesirables anyways. Granted not all, but most.

#4. If you transfered from PC/PS2 to 360... and you'd leave...more than likely you like the game and your gonna play it regardless.

#5. Weren't you all the ones not wanting 360 connected because 360 was gonna be the easiest thing in the world to hack? Seems to me you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon without thinking about your points.

#6. 360 is hardly unhackable...it's an MS product v.v the most widely hacked programs come from MS, you really think that they are gonna develop an unhackable system for a game console and not for a PC? If someone put their mind to it i bet ya it wouldn't be that hard.

tl;dr

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 08:10 PM
English, please, Esufer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-06-10 18:10 ]</font>

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:12 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:10, Kimil wrote:
English, please, Esufer

"Too long; Didn't read."

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 08:14 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:12, Esufer wrote:

On 2007-06-10 18:10, Kimil wrote:
English, please, Esufer

"Too long; Didn't read."

hmm, you are a dick my good man
but, thanks for translating

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-06-10 18:15 ]</font>

Ryna
Jun 10, 2007, 08:20 PM
Locked due to flaming.

A few of you can expect to receive a private message from me.