PDA

View Full Version : Meseta Sellers. Sigh.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah. So I was running a Lab s2 earlier, and the leader of my party invited a really poorly geared beast Hunter at level 80.

Yes.

I said hunter.

And by poorly geared we're talking Busters et al.

Anyway. A few rooms in and a Jarba pops, poorly geared level 80 goes down like grandma on a frosty morning.

We wait for the scape lag.

And wait.

And wait.

Leader flips. Quite rightly too, took us 10 minutes to get a good spawn.

So we quit out to the lobby, swearing this person into next week, telling them to get scapes for the next run. Rather than replying, poorly-geared level 80 starts spamming in the lobby:

"meseta from [muahaha, i'm not going to break the ToS.] cheap"

And by spam
I mean spam.

Anyone else seen any more of these guys?

I don't see their business running too well, it's so easy to make Meseta anyway in the game, but still, I'm sure its a breach of the games EULA, so I reported the character to Xbox Live as Verbal/text chat harrassment.

It was the closest I could find.

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
I heard this was starting to happen on 360 servers...
>_<

Kent
Jun 10, 2007, 07:39 PM
http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/support_contact.php

"Abusive Behavior"

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:39 PM
I think they're trying to take advantage of the, and I actually don't want to bring this into this discussion; lack of any duplicated currency in the game.

I can't see it working though, with all the new missions and such.

Also, Microsoft'd probably go mental at them if they found out, you know what they're like with Xbox Live.

EDIT: and Kent, I didn't get a chance to take down their name, unfortunately. I know the character name, and the website, but I'm not allowed to post it on here. Hrrrrm. =[

I'll check out that form though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Esufer on 2007-06-10 17:41 ]</font>

Parn
Jun 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
If you submit through the form Kent suggested, make sure to mention the Gamertag. That'll help get the associated 360 locked out of Live entirely, and set them back $400.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
I missed the Gamertag. I know where they hang around though, so I'll hunt them down tommorrow. I know the character name.

I already reported them via Xbox Live, but that was the last time I was on, and I don't want to report the wrong GT on my Recently Played list. =/

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'll have a look nao.

Edit: Nope, no luck. I'll get her though. And her little dog, too.

EDIT 2: Damnit Sekani, don't delete your post =[

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Esufer on 2007-06-10 17:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Esufer on 2007-06-10 17:48 ]</font>

Sekani
Jun 10, 2007, 07:49 PM
Stop replying so fast >_<

Eureka
Jun 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah, the meseta sellers are bad on Universe 1. Especially during prime time on 4th floor. I just report them via the contact page. Also, you should be able to look up his gamer tag through Live if you partied with him recently. I mean he should how up on the page after your friends and messages, forget what that section is called.

And I'm sure I know the site you are talking about. Only see one spammed all the time, checked it out...very poorly put together. Think a 3rd grader may have put it together. Not really, but its just sad how people try to sell game currency; especially in this game...where its so easy to make it.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
Yup. It's what the Gold Selling sites for WOW and FFXI would look like if they were done on paint.

And I did party with her, checked my gamertag list, and they're all super undecipherable =/

jayster
Jun 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
I dont understand why it's bad for people to sell meseta. If I decide to quit this game then I'm selling all my stuff and will probably make a good 1000$ profit. Idc if it's against rules. It's peoples money they'll be wasting, people are paying to make ingame meseta, they should be able to do with it however they please. How does it hurt the economy, no meseta is being duplicated or anything.

Ravennittes
Jun 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
It's just bad game ethics.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:34 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:30, jayster wrote:
I dont understand why it's bad for people to sell meseta. If I decide to quit this game then I'm selling all my stuff and will probably make a good 1000$ profit. Idc if it's against rules. It's peoples money they'll be wasting, people are paying to make ingame meseta, they should be able to do with it however they please. How does it hurt the economy, no meseta is being duplicated or anything.

If you're quitting, I guess it's less bad, but apparently everything on the game is Sega's virtual property, and it IS a crime to redistribute it for money.

It's essentially stealing.

jayster
Jun 10, 2007, 08:36 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:34, Esufer wrote:

If you're quitting, I guess it's less bad, but apparently everything on the game is Sega's virtual property, and it IS a crime to redistribute it for money.

The property's being sold is still staying inside of sega's realm though, I dunno, I just think it's stupid that you can't sell stuff.

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:36, jayster wrote:

The property's being sold is still staying inside of sega's realm though, I dunno, I just think it's stupid that you can't sell stuff.

Er... I can't think of a good analogy.

But imagine if you rented something from blockbuster, then rented that out to someone else for a higher price. That'd be wrong, right?

Kent
Jun 10, 2007, 08:43 PM

If you actually sell the meseta, then you're selling and profitting off of something that doesn't actually belong to you, being that the game and all related data are property of Sonic Team.

There's also the stigma that all intelligent gamers have (every single one of them); people who are rich in real life, should not be entitled thusly into any riches inside of a game, and for whomever is running the game to allow such a thing, garners nothing but disrespect from the playerbase.

The playerbase disrespecting the developers/publishers/whoever's running the game, leads to people quitting, and people quitting leads to less return, and less return leads to lower profits and lower funds to pay for additional content, as well as the developers/publishers realizing that the potential returns from releasing new content may not be worthwhile, quickening the game's eventual death.

...So yeah. Don't do that.

jayster
Jun 10, 2007, 08:46 PM
On 2007-06-10 18:42, Esufer wrote:

Er... I can't think of a good analogy.

But imagine if you rented something from blockbuster, then rented that out to someone else for a higher price. That'd be wrong, right?

Yeah but if you buy into a poker game, everything you earn within the game is yours, you can sell your pots to others if you want, for 3 times the price too.

Also, i decided to put my sweet death up once and someone messaged me asking if they could buy it for 85$ but I know it's worth more http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jayster on 2007-06-10 18:50 ]</font>

Esufer
Jun 10, 2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, but the poker game doesn't have a EULA.

Ravennittes
Jun 10, 2007, 08:48 PM
Because poker is a game in which that is the point. The point of PSU is to give SEGA money so you can have fun killing things.

jayster
Jun 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
what exactly is a psu?

SolomonGrundy
Jun 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
Just to play devils advocate for a second: is it perhaps a good thing that in this era people care so much about gaming they are willing to pay real amounts of $$$ for 'meseta'

I mean, can you imagine back in the day, paying real $$$ for someone's : Legend of Zedla catridge, becasuse they had all the items?

/advocate.

I CERTAINLY don't condone certian exploitave companies, who hire kids to farm online games and earn in-game money, then resell it at a profit.

Eureka
Jun 10, 2007, 09:17 PM

If that was the case, wouldn't it benefit Sega to just...I dunno...make it possible to buy items with real money through them. I mean, after all it wouldn't hurt the economy...and it won't lower the value of the rare items either...right? Wrong. Because instead of working for anything, people would just buy all the super gear. It would defeat the purpose, because the players with the resources to do it (money) would just buy all the "elite" gear they wanted.

Its not like its your data to sell. You are just licensing it from Sega, you hold no rights to it. That's why you are not entitled to sell it...it really isn't your stuff...its Sega's...you are just using it.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 10, 2007, 09:34 PM
ahahah!!! lvl 80 beast on pc/ps2 joined my party with the same equipment but it was a FB run.

I think its a conspiracy.

......as is my signature growing in size.....

EDIT: Silly me i uploaded the wrong one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Almighty_Envy on 2007-06-10 19:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Almighty_Envy on 2007-06-10 19:54 ]</font>

Kimil
Jun 10, 2007, 10:09 PM
Jayster
The reason meseta selling is bad, is because it makes the game unfar to those who put effort into the game and try to get what they get.

Think of it this way: You grind up the meseta to finally get all the clothes you want, an S rank weapon from a player shop that was priced for a pretty peny and maybe put time in hunting a few units that aren't easy to come by. This all takes your time and effort to raise the meseta and find the items right?

Now, here comes a new player who has a lot of RL money. He/she uses his money to get everything you were workingto get in an instant through EBay.

galaxy
Jun 11, 2007, 10:13 AM
the legality of it is that your selling stuff you do not actually own, and therefore sega has the right to do with your account what they will, since your selling their property (which they then can take back from whoever you sold it too, thereby pissing off both you and the buyer).

the ethics of it is that first off, it is disrespecting your fellow playerbase and the work they are putting in into getting higher end equipment and a lot of meseta. they do this work in order to make their future experience more pleasurable. when you buy meseta or equipment, it decreases the value of what they now own, and thus, the experience is less pleasurable, and the game wears out. its strange to say it like this, but indirectly, buying meseta/equipment leads to the demise of online games. its been explained in a post above mine somewhere, and as bold a statement as that is, it makes perfect sense. plus, it gives those with more money in real life an advantage over those who don't, and the point of the game is that everyone is going in on a level playing field, and how they succeed is based off of their skill, dedication, and luck.