PDA

View Full Version : Prom

PJ
Jun 11, 2007, 01:58 PM
Being suspended for a month REALLY makes you miss PSOW. I'm not kidding. Turns out I love this place.

Anyways, in my month of lacking attendance here, a lot has been going on pour moi. My school performed the musical Grease, and it actually went really well. Very proud of me/the band, and even all of music theatre... actually, that, and Prom seem to be about it.

BUT, my rant is about prom. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I don't want this to seem like I'm an antisocial, "Anything that has to do with other people suck :C" kind of thing, or that you should miss out on prom if you like the people in your graduating class. If you don't, don't waste your time.

See, I was under the impression that I liked my graduating class, but it occured to me, $90 down, in my suit-y like deal, looking around the banquet hall that... I really didn't like them. And I didn't want to be associated with them. And that made me bitter the whole way through prom, and I didn't enjoy myself one bit.

It really is common sense, but I seemed to have lost that common sense when I had agreed originally to go with one of my friends.

I thought I liked a lot of people in my graduating class, because I like a lot of people in my school. But... turns out, it's all the YOUNGER grades I like. My class is full of stuck up snobby rich kids, and you think, "But EVERY year should have them!" and it just seems like this year was chockfull of it.

Now I'm just rambling http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I mean, I totally hate the people who judge it without trying it (Like with anything), and are all like, "School sucks :C" but prom was just terribleh.

Oh, and I'm gonna throw in a mini rant here; PSU is a game that requires you to be in the party at the start to get maximum reward. My constantly disconnecting internet is NOT helping

Dre_o
Jun 11, 2007, 02:28 PM
Reason A I will NOT be going to prom: I hate 98% of my school. After two years of being in this school, I COULD NOT be in a room with these people.

Why? Think of 95% of the Bad Teenager stereotypes in existence and you've got what most of my school consists of.

DurakkenX
Jun 11, 2007, 03:40 PM
i didn't go to my prom. I don't like dancing and I didn't have a date. i think a lot of the people in my class grew up quite a bit over the 4 years i knew them and most i'd prolly hang out with now and many of the people i absolutely hated in school i found to be really rather nice when separated from the rest of their clique, but overall i felt that prom and most dances were a waste of money for me as there would be nothing for me to do except be a wallflower ^.^ One of the things i suck at... dancing.

Weeaboolits
Jun 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
I didn't go to mine, too expensive, and I don't really know a lot of people anyway. :/

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
Dude, prom is for losers, I didn't attend my high school prom either. But yeah, at that time, I was kind of an anti-social person who has just about given up on love and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, right now up to this day, now that I'm not some anti-social person who hates love, I still say prom is for losers, and I still don't regret missing out on prom one bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-06-11 16:17 ]</font>

Kent
Jun 11, 2007, 06:25 PM
Prom was the only time my high school allowed people to wear outright slutty clothing.

...Of course, that doesn't mean they did anything about it otherwise. :/

And what the hell is it with Canadians and performing Grease? Jeebus...

Night_Raid
Jun 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
Ha. I'm merely a freshman and i already have about zero intention of going when the time comes. Yes, that's right, I'm just as hateful towards my highschools general population as well.
1.80$?! Are you fucking kidding me? For that price I could buy a fake ID, hit a strip club, and still have plenty left over for the G strings.
2.I'm NOTHING like everyone else. I'm partially black and talk properly. I hate most current R&B (I.E. "I wanna fuck you" -Akon)
3.I recognize there's a world outside the US borders (Meaning everything not popular in this area is considered unorthodox and weird)
4.I have better things to do with my time than talk about Akon's new album, discuss which state has the best football team (I can't stand watching sports, as I could have a shitload more fun playing them instead) - Or gossiping about how Mandy dumped Brad three weeks before the dance and was seen hanging out with Jake at the mall.

Spoiled rich kids? Hell, I'd take that over ghetto kids any day.

Oh, and apologizes for any unintended thread hijacking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Night_Raid on 2007-06-11 17:06 ]</font>

FOAtHeart
Jun 11, 2007, 07:14 PM
I kind of want to go to my school prom. Partly because I am into the romance of "milestones" and shit like that, and also because I plan on going with a dude to infuriate people.

Ithildin
Jun 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
Do you really think the kind of people who play MMORPGs are the kind to go to proms? (thank god we did not have such an event when I finished school... that sort of thing doesn't happen in the UK).

Jehosaphaty
Jun 11, 2007, 11:37 PM
Lot of wankers in my class, but I loved prom. I don't see the reason for all the hate, but I can mildly understand where Peej is coming from.

amtalx
Jun 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
Prom doesn't have to be about the other people at your school. I ended up going to three proms, but it was all with small groups of my good friends. There's no reason to pay attention to people you don't care about. Prom should be about having fun with YOUR friends.

Firocket1690
Jun 12, 2007, 09:06 PM
Eh. Doubt I'll go to my prom, but if I do, I'm going in an ice cream truck. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

... No, seriously. Ice cream truck. x)

CupOfCoffee
Jun 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'm glad I didn't go to mine, too. After a few weeks of half-hearted "planning," the girl that had asked me to prom (yeah... it was a rather backwards experience from the start) realized how not-psyched I was about it, and asked if I'd rather do something else that night. I laughed and said, "Anything else!" and that's how I ended up seeing Requiem for a Dream for the first time.

The three main reasons I didn't want to go were the cost (nearly $300 in total, from our calculations), the basic prom activities (dancing, drinking punch, talking to people I would never have hung out with before or after, etc), and probably most importantly, keeping up my perfect track record of having never attended a single school function my entire four years of high school. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Thalui89
Jun 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
My school has a leaver ball rather than a prom but its basically the same thing. I didnt even bother atteneding mine as i saw the ball as nothing more of a way for the cheap whores to try and vreal how much they loved themselves. Largely due to this reason i didnt bother going because i knew how self obsessed they all were and i really didnt want to have to live through it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif needless to say i enjoyed my night in peace >:D

Ermac
Jun 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
I will say I went to prom and it was really fun; the main reason being that neither me nor my date danced that well. It was fun laughing at each other.

About the whole social thing though, we just had a group of friends that had our own little spot so none of the annoying idiots were near us.

Sinue_v2
Jun 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't go to either my Junior or Senior prom. Instead, we all chipped in and threw a moderate sized party out in the middle of nowhere each year. Good music, huge bonfire, lots of snacks, massive amounts of drinking and "other" refreshments.. it was kinda the same thing as prom, except not so glittery and prissy.

We always skipped the homecomming dances too - but I always made it a point to help burn down the freshman homecomming float, as was tradition.

DonRoyale
Jun 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm with you, PJ. I can't stand half the people in my grade. I'm sad that some of my friends are graduating, but I have a huge pool of acquaintances I can get to know better from the lower grade that I have.

I swear, prom is going to blow rotten eggs in toilet bowls if everything I envision for next year actually happens http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Wyndham
Jun 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
I've never gone to the prom. I was homeschooled anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oran1324 on 2007-06-14 11:02 ]</font>

Nixia
Jun 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
I moved for grade 12, so there was no way I was going to go to a prom where I didn't care for the people there and vice versa. >.> But even if I hadn't moved I still wouldn't have gone. I just never cared for it or any other school function, save for a barbecue here and there, and neither do my friends: the only people I would have gone for if I was going to go.

Still...I would've loved to get a new dress and pair of shoes out of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Niered
Jun 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
Haha, gather round, gather round, heres a tale for all you prom naysayers.

I, like a few of you here it seems, was adamant about avoiding prom. Homecoming was lame, I didnt like alot (but not most) of the people going, blah blah blah. To me, the whole thing was a money sink, and since I didnt have a date, there was really no point to the whole thing.

Now, at about this time let me introduce a girl we'll call...Sara. Thats a good generic name right? Now, Sara was a bisexual. She was nearing the end of a rather painful 3 year relationship with a girl that was about as bright as a box of a newspapers, but wasnt QUITE ready to break up with her, (this was mainly due to the fact that she would have to sit across from her every day, and considering how much of a jerkoff the girl could be, that would be considered LESS than pleasant.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fact that Sara's parents frowned upon her...indiscrimination of gender. So if Sara wanted to go to prom (which she most definitely did) shed need a guy to go with her. And since I happened to be her best freind, (and also hiding a bit of a crush on her at this time) I was the most likely candidate.

So I though, hell, its senior year, its on a boat, I have still as of yet to make out with a girl, and Sara's hot. Im not really in a position to be declining now am I?

So we go, and it was pretty damn boring. I mean REALLY damn boring. I mean, I basically got dressed up, to go talk to my freinds about stuff we could have talked about at eachothers houses, or at the mall, or at a coffee shop. But instead, I paid 90$ (Plus whatever the hell my suit cost) to be social.

HOWEVER! That 90$ was HARDLY a bad expenditure. You see, I figured, when else would be a better time to tell Sara that I really liked her? Shes breaking up with her girlfreind, we went to prom together, and we both look great.

So we take a walk after prom (which was hilarious because our prom fell on Cinco De Mayo, and at least a dozen people "congratulated" us, thinking that the reason we were dressed up was that we were newlyweds). And we talk. I tell her how I felt, and figure she's just giggling about it because its cute. She probably doesnt think anything more about it.

Until we get to her door.

Just as I'm about to open it for her, she leans into me and my eyes grow wider than a pair of a patio tables. I wont get into details, suffice to say that I was unable to actually regain any cognitive brain functions for the next 3 hours. Pretty much awesome.

The remainder of this story doesnt go nearly as well, so I'll leave it at that. The moral being, Prom is great. If its your senior year, go out on a limb. Do what ever. I really wish I had been more spontaneous in high school, and prom was really just about the only time that I really was.

Leviathan
Jun 19, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'll probably go my prom. But I'll do something thats uncoventional.

Instead of wearing the boring, puffy, overpriced dress &shoes I'd just wear something that'll set me apart from everyone else. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif <<Probably a short dress &Converse like these.>>

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/rich_girl_latina/45.jpg

Awesome.

&Just be me there with my friends. &Hopefully have fun &avoid any trouble.

shenrei
Jun 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
Wow, I'm quite taken aback by majority of the people here that have something against Prom or just outright don't wanna go xD Prom to me was awesome, especially if you're going with someone you like. If it's just a friend, then that's cool too. Heck, one of my dates didn't want to dance at all and I still had fun. Besides, it's the afterprom that's cool ;D Nothing like going out somewhere with your circle of friends afterward while everyone 's all glitzed up in evening wear - perfect time to sit on a hill and gaze at the bright stars during that hot or cool summer night with everyone all prettied up. For me, it's the perfect time to spill out whatever can be on your mind, and if you're the graduating class, discuss future plans. Plus, it's fun collecting those wallet pictures :X and readng what people write on the back, especially due to the fact that for one reason or another, everyone will be moving apart >< So for me, those pictures/memories are important ^^ Now I'm not saying Prom is for everyone, but I sure don't regret going one bit, and I've been to 4 of them ^^