PDA

View Full Version : Should I join a Guild?

ChronoTrigga
Jun 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well, I already am in a Guild, Dreamstation.cc. Seeing as how 100% of the members don't play anymore (W/ the exception of me of course), I was made an offer to join a certain clan. Should I take the offer? I mean, they usually play in my timeframe (12 midnight to 6 morning, EST timezone). Should I stick with my own personal 1 man guild and just earn the friendship/alliance of the guild. Or give in and join? The problem is, is I'd have to create a character with brackets in its name, which means I'd have to advert time on my most recent character (and cleanest PA wise) to raise the bracket character.

Should I go for it and join? Or possibly see if they can wait a bit for me to satisfy my lil Beast Seripa?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-06-14 21:54 ]</font>

Korokodo13
Jun 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
ok, to the OP; It really depends on your character lvl, if its 40 or less restart but if its a high lvl char that has 100s of hours then keep it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-06-14 21:55 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 14, 2007, 12:53 PM
guild = suck

Garnet_Moon
Jun 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
Guild :: Job as Friend :: Group

Think before you ask whether joining a guild is a good thing or not. Look at almost any game with a guild/clan/linkshell system, and you'll see that the drama that exists amongst members who hate each other isn't worth the subscription fee.

Keep your groups with friends. Less drama, and you can do almost the same thing as a guild. Like, for example, PSU doesn't require 50-something players to take on a single God and then wipe just as said God only has 1% HP left. No, you're restricted to 6 player groups. This makes filling slots up easier than raids, and thus as long as you have 6 players, you can do anything in PSU*.

*Those who try anything do so at their own risk of impalement, combustion, being frozen, drowning, getting an arm broken and dying, getting a fever and dying, etc.

Kylie
Jun 14, 2007, 12:59 PM
If you have the time and patience, go for it.

Personally, they're more trouble than they're worth.

ChronoTrigga
Jun 14, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I'll probably be playing with some of the members on a regular basis seeing as how we have the same playtimes, but I like my one man Dreamstation guild. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ayrista
Jun 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
my team has been around since GC pso, and has never had drama problems. It just so happens that the drama filled teams are alot more vocal and obvious. Alot of the people i play with I know well, and have known for over 5 years. Dont tell someone its stupid to join a guild just because of some bad experience you had. Alot of people like being a part of a "team"

Joining a guild can have its advantages. They can help you accomplish your personal goals etc. The best thing to do is just try it. You can always just leave if you feel the need.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
On 2007-06-14 11:15, ayrista wrote:
my team has been around since GC pso, and has never had drama problems. It just so happens that the drama filled teams are alot more vocal and obvious. Alot of the people i play with I know well, and have known for over 5 years. Dont tell someone its stupid to join a guild just because of some bad experience you had. Alot of people like being a part of a "team"

Joining a guild can have its advantages. They can help you accomplish your personal goals etc. The best thing to do is just try it. You can always just leave if you feel the need.

I'm afraid your "guild" is one of the very few exceptions. My point is still valid.

ChronoTrigga
Jun 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
My Dreamstation guild I've known since PSO v1 first launched. And i'm not talking about all the n00b members that joined in PSOBB. I'm talking about the original Dreamstation members that either quit PSU or moved on to PSUJP or WOW. They were the only bunch who never bickered or argued over anything.....ever. The only problem is is that since I came back since my 4 month hiatus, none of them play anymore, hence the lack of friends that I can play with. The only person I play with is ssj3ricky because we went to High School together, and get stoned together.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
if you have to make a new char to be in the clan, F that, join some other clan.

ayrista
Jun 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
On 2007-06-14 11:17, Garnet_Moon wrote:

I'm afraid your "guild" is one of the very few exceptions. My point is still valid.

I'll give you that, there is alot of garbage out there, and an guild is not needed in psu by any means. I felt like i needed to balance the judgment in this thread a little tho.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ayrista on 2007-06-14 11:29 ]</font>

Wheatpenny
Jun 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
Dude anyone that forces you to re-make your charecter just to put brackets in the name are a bunch of A-holes.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 14, 2007, 01:55 PM
On 2007-06-14 11:29, ayrista wrote:

On 2007-06-14 11:17, Garnet_Moon wrote:

I'll give you that, there is alot of garbage out there, and an guild is not needed in psu by any means. I felt like i needed to balance the judgment in this thread a little tho.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ayrista on 2007-06-14 11:29 ]</font>

Ah.

Well, I tried to get into a clan but it broke up when the lv50 cap was released. So much for friends sticking together. It started as friends, then added a bunch of nobodies from some place else, and hell broke loose.

I'll pass on any type of group other than one I choose to enter on random, or one compiled from tags in my card list.

JAFO22000
Jun 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
On 2007-06-14 11:25, Handsock wrote:
The only person I play with is ssj3ricky because we went to High School together, and get stoned together.

You = WINNER!!!

Niered
Jun 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
The only reason I would join a guild is if there was an actual incentive in-game to do so. And even then the incentive would have to be pretty gratuitous.

Otherwise, i just stick all the people I party with on a frequent basis at rank 1, and play with them. Works fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-06-14 21:57 ]</font>

Dragwind
Jun 14, 2007, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I'd say most of the guilds on psu are either comprised of n00bs, start trouble, or are just flat out pointless. However, there are a few guilds out there that actually stick together like a family in a way and actually have goals such as events or doing something good for the community. I use the word FEW very strictly.

If you want to look for a good guild to join, I suggest heading to the guilds/clan thread at the official psu board. There's a post with a list of well known clans such as jeM, OSD, TFF, Da Familia, KK, TK, etc.

I personally would say just make a group of friends, and stick with them. It's much easier and relaxed.

Kyli
Jun 14, 2007, 04:02 PM
I personally am in a guild (TFM - Tyme Family Mafia), who happens to be allied with the guild in question. Joining a guild really is up to your assessment of the benefits that the guild offers. I personaly am not a fan of having to re-create characters (TFM doesn't do that), but if the guild has plenty to offer you, it might be worth it. The main advantage of the renaming is that you can instantly recognize, and be recognized by peers and fellow guldmates.

The leaders of that guild are some regular companions of mine, and have proven to be good and reliable friends in many cases. I also always enjoy doing missions with them, but that's just a personal opinion.

One thing to keep in mind about that guild...I kno w that even the 2nd in command re-created his character to match the naming scheme, and did this from a high level character too. I do know that they will help you level your character up again, and I'm sure that members of TFM would be willing to help out as well.

If you're going to do it, now would be the optimal time since we've got 1 more week of FB, and the XP/MP rewards won't be this good for a while.

Alkaar
Jun 14, 2007, 04:10 PM
You'd have to create a character with brackets to be part of the clan/guild? As in... work on a new character instead of use your main with a higher level?

That is not a good thing to do - it forces you to drop playing with your main and basically start all over with another character. Lame reasoning to be a part of a clan/guild if you ask me. There should be no such constraint - instead there should be some minimal structure that everyone can agree on.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with forming a group to run with daily and help each other out. That is... if everyone in the group develops a sense of closure and friendship to a degree along with trust - because I dont believe you can actually make 'friends' online over long distance, technically speaking; but rather a group of individuals that I consider PSU Buddies. Even though you may have a clan/guild, think of it as a PSU Buddy group - a group of people you usually party with on a daily basis or so.

I myself am a part of a group that is filled with some of the greatest guys I've met on PSU. We party together as often as we can and help each other obtain rare items.

A Deghanna Cannon board along with the material to synth it was hunted down for one of our guys - I gave a Sweet Death board to our fighgunner - we've found a Hard/Power Charge for a member that needed one - Twin Bear Claws were given to our Beast buddy - the group helped me obtain a Solid/Power S - a Me/Quick was found for one of our Techers - A rank armors are made for each person in our group - items are passed along to others - we give each other gifts - we give each other meseta - we help each other out with many things gamewise.

That and more is what a clan/guild should be. I like to think of it as a small helpful well known community withing a large unknown and unrevealed community. It's not a bad thing at all to give a new experience a chance. That's what I did and I dont regret it.

I definitely know that forming a group labeled as a clan/guild is not easy and its not for everyone. All opinions are respected; I'm just giving a piece of my own opinion. To each, his own.

By the way... not only do I run with my clan/guild, but I get plenty of time playing PSU with actual friends of mine as well as joining up with random people and/or people I've met before, including some PSOW members. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alkaar on 2007-06-14 14:21 ]</font>

Merumeru
Jun 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
XD guilds are awesome, for the fact that you'll have some sort of way to still stay connected with lotsa people to chill and have fun with and in the case that some sort of new-fangled game comes out, you'd always have the knowledge of a good set of cool people to assist you there or whereever else ya wanna go...

i dont think you should sacrifice anything to qualify to be with a group of people (items/time/money/levels) other than you would normally do on your own XP those things are always a bad foundation for a relationship of any kind~

XanGabriel
Jun 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
The only "Klan" I can recall is a joke group called the "KKK", or Krazy Kwanzaa Klub... I was the leader of that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, however, after... little deliberation, and not caring to keep up with it anyways, I disbanded the group, and haven't really heard from the other group members since. One big thing that bugs me is that this game is not even structured for clans; it is utterly pointless to try to integrate them yourself.

ChronoTrigga
Jun 14, 2007, 11:29 PM
Oh and the clan I'm talking about is "KINGS KLAN" on the PC/PS2 servers.

And getting back on topic it might be a good reason to restart my main "ChronoTrigga" because his photonarts are not to my liking (meaning I have alot of useless ones). He was my first character, on Launch date and more of an experimental character. But he's only lvl 51, and my newest char which I created 3 weeks ago is already 47. o_O Did I mention I left in December and came back in April?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Handsock on 2007-06-14 21:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-06-14 21:58 ]</font>

A2K
Jun 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
Guilds and similar groupings of players are a great way to meet new people, but personally I wouldn't want to be bothered with the hassle of creating a new character with brackets in it for the sole purpose of participating in its activities.

Given your current situation I'd actually recommend trying and netting some new people into your existing group rather than joining this new one.

pionear
Jun 15, 2007, 12:09 AM
On 2007-06-14 14:59, XanGabriel wrote:
The only "Klan" I can recall is a joke group called the "KKK", or Krazy Kwanzaa Klub... I was the leader of that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, however, after... little deliberation, and not caring to keep up with it anyways, I disbanded the group, and haven't really heard from the other group members since. One big thing that bugs me is that this game is not even structured for clans; it is utterly pointless to try to integrate them yourself.

And is that something to be proud of?

Weeaboolits
Jun 15, 2007, 12:16 AM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa50/mexicanita94/keyblade.jpg

Anyway, do what you want, it's your GL, you wanna' join a guild, do it. ;]

ChronoTrigga
Jun 15, 2007, 12:46 AM
Thank you A2K

pikachief
Jun 15, 2007, 12:58 AM
THERES NO GUILDS IN THIS GAME!

ChronoTrigga
Jun 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
Could you refrain from being a pompous ass? This isn't the Official PSU Boards.

Weeaboolits
Jun 15, 2007, 01:03 AM
Just because it won't be recognized by the game's software, doesn't mean that a guild can't be formed. ;]

pikachief
Jun 15, 2007, 01:09 AM
On 2007-06-14 22:58, pikachief wrote:
THERES NO GUILDS IN THIS GAME! /sarcasm

jeez.... FIXED

Weeaboolits
Jun 15, 2007, 01:11 AM
Sincerity and sarcasm sound the same in type. :/

ChronoTrigga
Jun 15, 2007, 01:13 AM
Regardless of it being sarcastic, he don't need to waste space or time in a topic that I'm being totally serious about.

pikachief
Jun 15, 2007, 01:13 AM
yea i know im sorry if it offended anyone in anyway :/ i did it in all cpas as a joke... i was invited to an AWESOME guild type thing in the 360 version that i can join as soon as they sort out a couple of things

ChronoTrigga
Jun 15, 2007, 01:21 AM
I still haven't decided though, I'm definately gonna recreate my main though, seeing how his photon art list is definately not the way I want it and have too many unneeded photon arts. I suppose I'll probably hold off on recreating though. For the time being.

WaveofBabies
Jun 15, 2007, 02:37 AM
no, there are plenty of good clans that don't require stupid stuff like brnading their clan on your name

ChronoTrigga
Jun 15, 2007, 05:33 AM
Well, i don't really mind the brackets, and I was going to remake my main, but I wonder if I should devote myself to a guild that has events. My guild just went with whatever, whenever. Dreamstation for life yo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dragwind
Jun 15, 2007, 05:38 AM
On 2007-06-14 22:58, pikachief wrote:
THERES NO GUILDS IN THIS GAME!

Err...explain then how I see clans everywhere. Fyi, tff has been on pso/psu for 6 years now so.... Excuse me?

Neith
Jun 15, 2007, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't join a guild that operates for the purpose of selfserving- that's why I'm in a group with some friends. We all help each other out hunting/leveling up, and generally have a pretty good time, much nicer than having to rely on Uni1/2 for games. Only problem with a small guild is that people do lose interest occasionally, and people stop playing. If that happens in a small guild (as is happening to mine at the moment), it can be hard to get enjoyable games as easily.

Sekani
Jun 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't join a guild AT ALL in this game. There's no point to it, mostly for the reasons that Garnet already mentioned.

I have a group of people (mostly from PSOW) that I play with regularly, and we provide each other with all the benefits that a guild/clan would provide without any of the headaches and overhead.

amtalx
Jun 15, 2007, 08:37 AM
If you have good friends, they are practically a guild anyway, and you don't have to jump through hoops.

FUFME
Jun 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
I belong to an Unreal Tournament clan and that's good enought for me... too many clubs if anything else.

I know too many people on PSU and dont really have the time to spend with a dedicated group of people.