PDA

View Full Version : PSU/PSO and music...

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jun 15, 2007, 01:32 AM
Do you play with your own music or the music to the game..?
Me personally I like playing the Hives to The Mars Volta XD
and for PSO I listen to the original soundtrack.
What about you?

Garanz-Baranz
Jun 15, 2007, 01:40 AM
Depends...

If I don't wanna hear PSU music, then I hop on "a ceirtain site that I don't wanna say just incase so I don't break any forum rules" and just click, autostarts my Media player, and boom, BGMs for free... temporarally... I think...

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jun 15, 2007, 01:41 AM
Holy craps!
Good to know lol

Weeaboolits
Jun 15, 2007, 01:45 AM
PSO rocks it proper with its jams, PSU's are okay too, though.

KiteWolfwood
Jun 15, 2007, 01:47 AM
PSU music doesn't feel like killing music like PSO's music did. So I usually listen to my own BUT Burning Rangers in my FireBreak? I can listen to that all day.

F-Gattaca
Jun 15, 2007, 01:59 AM
Really depends on my mood and where I am whether or not I listen to in-game music or not.

In both PSU and PSO, there's music I really enjoy--and then there's music that feels out of place and gets old after hearing it too much. The HIVE's music worked for Story Mode because it fit with the climatic and chaotic feel of the events that took place there. But in online mode, where the story says the GUARDIANS are having to reguarly pacify multiple space stations turned into HIVEs by the SEED, that music doesn't fit anymore. It feels at best out of place and at worst grating in those circumstances.

Same goes with the Linear Line music, as well as the Fire SEED theme. They were proper and fit for specific events (Linear Line's music was perfect for the "OH SHIT THE COLONY'S BEING INVADED" moments)--but they don't work for routine missions.

Angels with Burning Hearts is an exception to that.

On the other hand, I'll go out of my way to listen to the music in PSU for the Rafflon missions, Moatoob missions, Linear Train missions, Lab missions, Agata Islands missions (including missions taking place in CoG temples), and music like what we've got in Holtes City right now.

EDIT: Seeing how this topic is shaping up ...

Man, if it weren't for Parn's thread asking people what their favorite PSU songs are (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144388&forum=20&17), I'd've wound up feeling as if I was the only one who liked ANY of the music in PSU, like with PSU's story (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=143742&forum=20&19). Which, by the way, I'm glad I my feelings got proven wrong on.

Seems like whenever PSU's music is brought up, I see reactions that follow along these lines in varying degrees:

"PSU's music is utterly terrible and has absolutely no redeeming qualities."
"PSU's music is terrible because it's nothing like Phantasy Star."
"I switch out all of PSU's terrible music for my own/PSO's and never once listen to the in-game music."

(And much less frequently)

"Anyone who so much as likes PSU's music fails at life."

I'm not trying to judge anyone with this observation (especially since I do my own share of switching music out), but the vehemency displayed (and occasional and completely unnecessary detest from some towards people who like PSU music) is disconcerting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-06-15 02:09 ]</font>

landman
Jun 15, 2007, 02:03 AM
My TV volume is at the minimum, enough to hear message and mission/party warnings

Zorafim
Jun 15, 2007, 03:16 AM
No melody, no chord progressions, it's just all ambiance. Even then, it's not very good ambiance. I normally turn the music off and play some music in the background, assuming I'm the only person in my room.

StanleyPain
Jun 15, 2007, 03:16 AM
I use a custom soundtrack made out of tracks from PSO Ep. 1&2, episode 3 (terrible game but superb soundtrack), and Blue Burst.

Apart from a few selections, PSU has a uniformly terrible soundtrack that just doesn't fit the Phantasy Star tradition at all.

xjustsumloser
Jun 15, 2007, 03:18 AM
I listen to the PSO soundtrack through the dashboard while playing PSU.

D1ABOLIK
Jun 15, 2007, 03:39 AM
Where did you buy the PSO soundtrack from? I need to get that for late night PSU runs.

________
IOLITE PORTABLE VAPORIZER (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

Mayu
Jun 15, 2007, 03:54 AM
own music http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jun 15, 2007, 08:52 AM
On 2007-06-14 23:59, F-Gattaca wrote:
Really depends on my mood and where I am whether or not I listen to in-game music or not.

In both PSU and PSO, there's music I really enjoy--and then there's music that feels out of place and gets old after hearing it too much. The HIVE's music worked for Story Mode because it fit with the climatic and chaotic feel of the events that took place there. But in online mode, where the story says the GUARDIANS are having to reguarly pacify multiple space stations turned into HIVEs by the SEED, that music doesn't fit anymore. It feels at best out of place and at worst grating in those circumstances.

Same goes with the Linear Line music, as well as the Fire SEED theme. They were proper and fit for specific events (Linear Line's music was perfect for the "OH SHIT THE COLONY'S BEING INVADED" moments)--but they don't work for routine missions.

Angels with Burning Hearts is an exception to that.

On the other hand, I'll go out of my way to listen to the music in PSU for the Rafflon missions, Moatoob missions, Linear Train missions, Lab missions, Agata Islands missions (including missions taking place in CoG temples), and music like what we've got in Holtes City right now.

EDIT: Seeing how this topic is shaping up ...

Man, if it weren't for Parn's thread asking people what their favorite PSU songs are (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144388&forum=20&17), I'd've wound up feeling as if I was the only one who liked ANY of the music in PSU, like with PSU's story (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=143742&forum=20&19). Which, by the way, I'm glad I my feelings got proven wrong on.

Seems like whenever PSU's music is brought up, I see reactions that follow along these lines in varying degrees:

"PSU's music is utterly terrible and has absolutely no redeeming qualities."
"PSU's music is terrible because it's nothing like Phantasy Star."
"I switch out all of PSU's terrible music for my own/PSO's and never once listen to the in-game music."

(And much less frequently)

"Anyone who so much as likes PSU's music fails at life."

I'm not trying to judge anyone with this observation (especially since I do my own share of switching music out), but the vehemency displayed (and occasional and completely unnecessary detest from some towards people who like PSU music) is disconcerting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-06-15 02:09 ]</font>
Actually,I agree with you on that one....=/

Merumeru
Jun 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
XD ehh, ive always been one to prefer soundtracking a game myself, especially if im gunna be sitting in front of it for 100's of hours, even the most dramatic of PSU battle themes would grow dull after hearing it the 817,481th time

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 15, 2007, 09:41 AM
I find much of the music to be 'okay'. I liked it for the first hundred or so hours, but after that I had to turn it off. I either play in silence or rock out to Iron Maiden or Bump of Chicken. At least it aint PSO music. Gah...atmospheric really shouldn't have to equate to boring.

But I'm gonna be a PC player real soon...when I get around to it I'm gonna have to try swapping music files with the classic PS soundtrack. "Abyss" would probably rawk for the HIVE. Nice and dread-inspiring unlike the cheesy B-movie theme. (I COULD also use some of PSO's better files like the ruins, but that might just cause flashbacks of PSO's horrific targeting system. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-06-15 07:51 ]</font>

Reipard
Jun 15, 2007, 01:02 PM
I love just about all of PSO's theme music, but as for PSU...I only like some of it. The songs I don't like in PSU, I simply replace. And not with PSO1+2 music; PSO1+2 music doesn't really fit.

As for PSOIII music... >_>. A number of it fits really well. 'Cyber' fits the HIVE like a glove.

Akaimizu
Jun 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
One of the few battle musics I seem to never grow tired of are the bigger battles in Sega's Skies of Arcadia. I think the big kicker for it, was that it was one of the very few modern RPGs even today, that actually has the battle music change, during a battle, based on the condition of your team vs. the condition of your foes. Nothing like the feeling when the music gets tense when a foe comes out with a nasty round that really hurts, and then you come up with a great comeback, and the music starts to sound more heroic.

Mendou
Jun 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm perfectly happy with PSU's soundtrack. It's got enough of the PSO ambience while bringing something of its own in as well. I've even been listening to the soundtack while driving (the Neudaiz disc from the 3-CD set is best for that, in my opinion), and I've got the opening stuck in my head--it's cheesy, but it's a good sort of cheese ^_-

StanleyPain
Jun 15, 2007, 09:01 PM
I pretty much never got tired of PSOs soundtrack. It was effective, atmospheric, and energetic in it's own way. it really, really fit. PSU's soundtrack, in general, is too organic and over-majestic for it's own good.
It's far too orchestral and pompous, lacking the electro/techno vibe that was so vital to all of the PS games until present. There are a few tracks that come close to the greatness of PSO, namely the Shikon islands themes and grove of fanatics themes, but everything else just doesn't work. Too emotional and grandstanding...trying to make PSU sound like Final Fantasy or something...not the dark, atmospheric undercurrents that really sold PSO.
And the HIVE soundtrack is just too much. Way too melodramatic.

Powder Keg
Jun 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
Although PSU music I find better than PSO's....both are lacking IMO, and I either have my own random 80's/early 90's music playing or some classic RPG music from SNES, Genesis, and PSX on my winamp.

Ravennittes
Jun 15, 2007, 09:46 PM
I listen to my own music which includes: Soundtrack to .Hack//SIGN, and Pink Floyd.

DonRoyale
Jun 15, 2007, 09:51 PM
Always go with my music...

God love rock and rap.

EspioKaos
Jun 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'll stick with PSU's soundtrack, thanks. The composers did a wonderful job, in my opinion, and I enjoy every moment of the game's score. I enjoy it so much, actually, that I take the game's soundtrack almost everywhere I go -- on the road, at work, at the gym. On that subject, "Galenigare Mine" and "The Vibe -The End of Planets-" are perfect for when I'm lifting weights. Those songs (and a few others) really get me pumped and keep me going.

pokefiend
Jun 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
I listen to PSUs original soundtrack.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 17, 2007, 08:50 PM
Random amv's and episodes of random tv shows on Youtube.

The PSU soundtrack is made of fail.

KidoKresh
Jun 17, 2007, 09:22 PM
I will play my own music if i get bored(my PSU music is normally off =P) or i get on the internet and find music to listen to... What i do sometimes is change one of my AV cables on my xbox with the one for the T.V. and listen to the T.V. while playing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif just incase something intersetiong comes on.

natewifi
Jun 17, 2007, 09:36 PM
PSU is the crappy game unexpected from ST, as if PSO wasnt even made by them, it just seems to good to be true imo.

I mean you compare Sonic games with PSU and they seem kinda yuh know similar, in the same league the music is terrible in their own way (the only good song is that supporting me song from SA2), but not PSO.

PSO is far more advanced than PSU, the simplicity but yet so much detail within PSO but its all neccesary, unlike PSU where there is absolutely no objective for certain things in PSU to provide (the my room thing is plain and simple "CRASH. AND. BURN.")

Even though I dont nearly like PSU as much as PSO, im still gonna move onto the next intended PSO, everyone get real ST really ment to make this the new PSO, dont bullshit, and dammit im comparing both games, whether you like it or not which is kinda dumb that I expect some uptight asshole who cant get over how I feel about all of you and cant except that to flame or say lame sarcasm but w/e, heh...

WBMike
Jun 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'll play PSU music for about 2 months and then switch to my own songs. I don't feel like hearing them over and over and over. I utterly cannot stand HIVE music, Linear Line, Galenigaire Mines (sp). Now for some Odd reason, one of the best music in the game "Cylez Linear Line" never gets played. I heard it once offline, and once during an online story mission for 2 seconds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

My Favorite ones are the Kugu Desert, Fire Seed, Razenom Line Milate, and Neudaiz missions.

Neith
Jun 19, 2007, 10:39 AM
I think I'm one of the few who likes PSU's soundtrack, heh.

I listen to it in some places (Magas/Adahna/Fakis boss fights, Mizuraki, HIVE), but some of it I don't like (Labs in particular).

When I get bored of it, i put my playlist on. DragonForce, Iron Maiden etc. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I also have some of PSO's music on my playlist- some of it was really good, especially the Episode III music. (<3 Tower of Caelum and Ravum Aedes Sacra music).

F-Gattaca
Jun 19, 2007, 03:15 PM
On 2007-06-19 07:57, WBMike wrote:
Now for some Odd reason, one of the best music in the game "Cylez Linear Line" never gets played. I heard it once offline, and once during an online story mission for 2 seconds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DUDE! You mean the one in Ep 2 Chapter 4 where you're in the Line talking to Tonnio, Leo, Maya and Laia?

That music was great! I stopped what I was doing just to listen to it for a while.

It probably would've made much better music for routine Linear Line missions than the story-related "omg evac now" music. It couldn't be that hard for SEGA to patch a change, could it?

Mutt12
Jun 19, 2007, 03:29 PM
I play with the music on, mostly coz there's a few tracks I really like, especially the Train Rescue bgm.

360NyTeMaRe
Jun 19, 2007, 03:30 PM
I like the soundtracks, I actually purchased CD's for PSO OST, and PSU's 3 disc OST http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif