PDA

View Full Version : OMFG @ ps2 Population

Serephim
Jun 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
I was on PSU yesterday when i noticed Universe 2 was e m p t y.

Universe 1 had 1 star lit. Nobody was online.

I thought it was a universe crash, but hours later, and still, nobody online.

Please tell me how this community has degraded to less than 100 people online at once?

Its very discourging to play a game with so little people. Although finding a party isnt very hard, its discourging to know PS2/PC servers are doing so bad while 360 servers have about 200% more people.

This scares me, as im starting to see a GCN-->Xbox PSO thing going on here, where the 360 version is going to be Favored alot more come more serious upgrades.

VanHalen
Jun 15, 2007, 12:09 PM
Peeps gotta work.

pokefiend
Jun 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
actually 1 star equals over 200 ppl in that universe

Ryoki
Jun 15, 2007, 12:13 PM
It was because of a crash. Think of this. over at least 150 people were afk. The server crashs. Everyone who isnt afk gets back on, but the people who were afk are now off until they get back. We have at least 1000 people. I know that.

JAFO22000
Jun 15, 2007, 12:13 PM
No need to worry if it's not hard to find a party.

Serephim
Jun 15, 2007, 12:14 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:10, pokefiend wrote:

50 states, an entire country, half a Continent, a couple billion people, and 200 are online at peak hours?

Thats r e t a r d e d.

I seriously think Sega is going to eventually can the ps2/pc servers. First time 360 gets downloadble content that we dont, just know its coming.

Packrat
Jun 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
It was a crash. The lowest I've seen at off-hours is between 1.5-2 stars >.>

VanHalen
Jun 15, 2007, 12:17 PM
Also no one really plays until nights on Eastern time it seems.

Ryoki
Jun 15, 2007, 12:19 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:14, Serephim wrote:

50 states, an entire country, half a Continent, a couple billion people, and 200 are online at peak hours?

Thats r e t a r d e d.

I seriously think Sega is going to eventually can the ps2/pc servers. First time 360 gets downloadble content that we dont, just know its coming.

I'm tired of this negative attitude. I played monster hunter, before my memory card got erased, and at most, there were only 600 people on that game. But since these people were loyal fans, That was enough to get people to very slowly keep coming, and the people who already played were very into it, keeping it a very active game.

A game only dies if you let it die. As long as there are people who like it, and play with others who like it, it doesn't really matter how many of them there are.

Also, don't start a flame war...Napalm is bad...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2007-06-15 10:20 ]</font>

pokefiend
Jun 15, 2007, 12:22 PM

Thats r e t a r d e d.

lol USA + Mexico + Canada + UK + France doesnt even equal a billion 0.o

PALRAPPYS
Jun 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:22, pokefiend wrote:

Thats r e t a r d e d.

That is true. We only have around 6 1/2 billion people in the entire world.

chibiLegolas
Jun 15, 2007, 12:28 PM

Hmm?
Only the UK and France can get into our PSU club?
I thought it was the entirety of Europe, no? As long as they have internet + PSU in their language, they can sign in, no? Mexico's got it. So Spain doesn't? (for example).
Just wondering...

And on occation, I do see foreiners talking in a different language in lobbies. (I just assumed it was German. You're saying it was French?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-06-15 10:30 ]</font>

RedCoKid
Jun 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144726&forum=20&start=0&30#5

On 2007-06-13 06:50, Dhylec wrote:
Let's not open up another console war. We already know that there are fewer PS2/Pc players, no need to state the obvious.

You know what to do...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/RedCoKid/picar1.gif

Sol-Edge
Jun 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
Another the reason the population has fallen is because of the damn SEGA Billing Website. Lately It's been acting up and refusing to accept credit card payments/Cancel accounts/etc.

Tra
Jun 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
start advertising then, not hard to attract new players

Kylie
Jun 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
One to two in the morning & three to four on a good night. I'm really not bothered by it because I played two games before PSU (Resident Evil Outbreak and Monster Hunter) that had way worse population issues. I've made great friends on PSU, so I usually always have someone to play with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-06-15 10:51 ]</font>

RegulusHikari
Jun 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
The 360 population is stronger for a number of reasons.

1. DEMOS. I cannot stress it enough that there have been 3 demos that have no doubt increased the popularity of PSU on the 360 side. Who WOULDN'T want to try out a game for free, especially when they have some interest in it already.

2. Ex-PS2/PC players. We've seen it all over this board. I'm quitting. Moving to 360. The economy over here has had an impact on some players deciding to move over to the 360 side, not only making our side less populated, but the 360 side more populated.

3. Console popularity. Quite frankly, I don't think most Sony fan(boy)s are interested in a game like this, I would know from personal experiences. Nor are PC players, when theres plenty of other very popular MMOs, RTSs, or FPSs out there to play.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that SoA has seen the US PSU servers as a dying franchise and are too lazy/incompetent to do anything about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RegulusHikari on 2007-06-15 11:23 ]</font>

Packrat
Jun 15, 2007, 02:15 PM
As mentioned, a demo would have helped A LOT. Another issue is friends, most of them don't want to play a pay-per-month game (most rejected stuff like WoW for the same reason) or play a "weeaboo" game as they state it ;-;

Another thing is competition. I only knew like 3 people personally that played Ragnarok Online (friends, fellow classmates) and they all left it for WoW. They're so addicted they don't want to leave it for PSU.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Yoshiflash
Jun 15, 2007, 02:41 PM
i downloaded WoW last night. Why is this relevant? Because I have been here since day one. I'm a hardcore PSU fan. I love(d) this game. But I can't justify doing nothing over and over and over. I'll be back when sega adds a mode that makes it worth it to do a mission 100 times.

Sinue_v2
Jun 15, 2007, 02:44 PM
A game only dies if you let it die.

Or if Sega takes down the servers because the money they're recieving in Guardian Licences isn't covering the cost of the servers, bandwidth, maintenance, GM's, ect with a large enough profit margin to make it worthwhile.

It's unlikely that would happen, even with the state of the game's population, because it's such a new release reletively speaking. But still...

start advertising then

Good point. Once Sega announces that they will start handing out royalty checks for each customer I get to sign up, I'll be right on it.

As mentioned, a demo would have helped A LOT.

Why - when you can download the game for free? An option for a PS2 demo is out of the question - they don't have a centralized online network to distribute demos to players or a storage capacity to hold it. The PC version was practically designed to be pirated.. you don't even need the disk to play or an access key to verify your purchase. While illegal, I still think that Sega had this in mind when they released the game. Blue Burst WAS a free download from their website, but still didn't commercially do very well.

I played monster hunter, before my memory card got erased, and at most, there were only 600 people on that game. But since these people were loyal fans, That was enough to get people to very slowly keep coming, and the people who already played were very into it, keeping it a very active game.

It wasn't very active, not to compaired to it's competition or the total online PS2 userbase. Which is fine for some people, but the smaller community games tend to get really "cliquey" - where you have to know and get along with certain people or groups to fully get the enjoyment out of the game. It also leads to a lot of drama and bullshit that the casual gamer just doesn't want to deal with.

McLaughlin
Jun 15, 2007, 02:45 PM
On 2007-06-15 12:41, Yoshiflash wrote:
i downloaded WoW last night. Why is this relevant? Because I have been here since day one. I'm a hardcore PSU fan. I love(d) this game. But I can't justify doing nothing over and over and over. I'll be back when sega adds a mode that makes it worth it to do a mission 100 times.

Yeah. I wish there was some kind of Mission Reward at the end of each mission, where money and Mission Points were given out based on how well you did.

It's the first Friday of Summer. Everyone's out getting hammered >_>

Packrat
Jun 15, 2007, 02:45 PM
That's odd because I left the monotony of WoW for this game. For some reason I find this much more enjoyable. Less clones and all. In WoW everyone in the same class looks the same at the end because you HAVE to use the same armour sets to be relevant come endgame http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Niloklives
Jun 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
On 2007-06-15 12:45, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

Yeah. I wish there was some kind of Mission Reward at the end of each mission, where money and Mission Points were given out based on how well you did.

It's the first Friday of Summer. Everyone's out getting hammered >_>

For people like Yoshi and myself with mxed out chracters and PAs; and an understanding of this game to the point that after running a mission once or twice you don't ever have to think again, this game starts to offer very little. There are no challenges and nothing that rewards INDIVIDUAL performance. this is a HUGE problem since missions are so easy to S rank, even on S2.

It leaves many of us looking for a way to challenge ourselves and even those methods are getting dry. There needs to be something in the game that makes up push ourselves: mini games, challenge mode...SOMETHING...but as it is, the regulars are getting bored.

MP and meseta are meaningless.

Serephim
Jun 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:28, chibiLegolas wrote:
[quote]On 2007-06-15 10:22, pokefiend wrote:

....What?

Yoshiflash
Jun 15, 2007, 03:22 PM
On 2007-06-15 12:45, Packrat wrote:
That's odd because I left the monotony of WoW for this game. For some reason I find this much more enjoyable. Less clones and all. In WoW everyone in the same class looks the same at the end because you HAVE to use the same armour sets to be relevant come endgame http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I havent played WoW yet, I may hate it. Point is I'm looking for something new to play till this game either "gets fixed" for end game players or just dies(which would be sad).

No challenge = no game(for me anyways), period.

RedX
Jun 15, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-06-15 13:13, Serephim wrote:

....What?

Canada = 30 mil, US = 300 mil, UK = 60 mil, France = 60 mil

30 mil + 300 mil + 60 mil + 60 mil == 1 billion

*info from Google*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2007-06-15 13:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2007-06-16 11:27 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Jun 15, 2007, 03:27 PM
On 2007-06-15 12:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Or if Sega takes down the servers because the money they're recieving in Guardian Licences isn't covering the cost of the servers, bandwidth, maintenance, GM's, ect with a large enough profit margin to make it worthwhile.

Damit Playsega! Take my money! Please! Here! Just take it!

I gotta get back on to purify, before we fall behind even further on the %!

Dammit. Why does the billing issues HAVE to happen during firebreak? Of all times....
*grumble*

You don't suppost Sega would prolong the event cause of the screw up with their billing do you?
*crosses fingers*
One could hope...

Helly
Jun 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
I blame the universe crasher and the people on here who were egging him on to keep doing it. The zillions of idlers on Uni 2 probably never even realized what happened and thus went back to that place. All the rest of us are on Uni 1 now so like our population was like split. But right now we're at our usual 3 stars full so things seem back to normal.

Niloklives
Jun 15, 2007, 03:34 PM
On 2007-06-15 13:26, RedX wrote:

....What?

*info from Google*

o.O that's not even 500million.

30mil+300mil = 330mil
60mil +60 mil = 120mil
120mil+ 330mil = 450mil

not even half a billion.

Golto
Jun 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
Add another 100 -112 million for Mexico but not like there is a big Mexican population in psu that actually lives in Mexico.

Kion
Jun 15, 2007, 04:28 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:46, Tra wrote:
start advertising then, not hard to attract new players

I tried talking PSU up to my friends, but there are so many online games out that everyone already has a game that they're devoted to. Competition in online games is fierce and it's hard to give up what you've gained or start fresh.

On 2007-06-15 11:22, RegulusHikari wrote:
The 360 population is stronger for a number of reasons.

1. DEMOS. I cannot stress it enough that there have been 3 demos that have no doubt increased the popularity of PSU on the 360 side. Who WOULDN'T want to try out a game for free, especially when they have some interest in it already.

2. Ex-PS2/PC players. We've seen it all over this board. I'm quitting. Moving to 360. The economy over here has had an impact on some players deciding to move over to the 360 side, not only making our side less populated, but the 360 side more populated.

3. Console popularity. Quite frankly, I don't think most Sony fan(boy)s are interested in a game like this, I would know from personal experiences. Nor are PC players, when theres plenty of other very popular MMOs, RTSs, or FPSs out there to play.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that SoA has seen the US PSU servers as a dying franchise and are too lazy/incompetent to do anything about it.

Hikari brings up a good point and I have to add two myself.

1) ps2 lags like crazy. 360 is the option for people who don't neccesary have good computers, or hate them.
2) Also SoA's complete inability to translate. (halp sefari anyone?)

Alot of the current ps2/pc players are anime fans and have a certain degree of japanese ability. if sega would let us merge with the japanese servers, i could see that working out pretty well.

DreamLocke
Jun 15, 2007, 04:50 PM
merging with the japanese players wouldn't be so bad....they've done it before w/ PSO.

360 population is good, but as far as other xbox live games, it's barely a dent. Doesn't FFXI have more players right now?

McLaughlin
Jun 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
Probably. Pretty soon though, they'll have to dump some of their servers and merge us. Getting kinda sparse in some areas. They already let us pick a server to start on (not useful for those of us already playing before that took effect) and I keep hearing about the possibility of being allowed to move to another server. Probably with some kind of fee attached.

I mean seriously. I just counted, and including the test server, we have 33 servers. That's a lot. >_>

(Replying to the FFXI bit there >_>)

Lonzell
Jun 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
Well yea, but look how many years ffxi been out. add to that its a much more involved style of mmorpg, and you can understand why.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 05:22 PM
JUST MERGE THE SERVERS ALREADY!!!!!!!

I know Microsoft are money grubbing bastards. I know Microsoft giving control of there servers to ST wouldn't be ethical. I know 360 servers are set up differently then pc/ps2, but for the love of god ST, negotiate something with Microsoft and save our dwindiling commmunity ;.;

Garnet_Moon
Jun 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
We on the PC are working class. We're not kids and students like over on the 360 who can hang around on a game all day and waste time on that. They should get jobs... jobs as GM's for PSU on the PC end and play with us... >.>

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
Man i wish i was a gm....

pionear
Jun 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
On 2007-06-15 13:34, NIloklives wrote:

....What?

*info from Google*

30mil+300mil = 330mil
60mil +60 mil = 120mil
120mil+ 330mil = 450mil

not even half a billion.

Somebody can't add>>>>Thanks for clearing that up.

And yes, even for the short time I was on last night, there were a few Uni's with NO stars available.
Hell there wasn't even a Uni 11 for awhile!!! Whassup with that?

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hell there wasn't even a Uni 11 for awhile!!! Whassup with that?

We cant talk bout it....

TetsuyaHikari
Jun 15, 2007, 06:00 PM
I came into this thread and knew EXACTLY what was going to be said about this, lol. It's another, "boo hoo! The PS2 population is horrible compared to 360 users!" thread http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. These are getting a bit old now, ya know?

Simple fact is..of course there will be more populated games elsewhere, whether it be on a different console or game. The point is, just accept what you have and be glad it's there, rather than preaching about how much "better" it could be.

I happen to like the population for the PS2 thank you. Not too many, not too little. I like it :3

Yoshiflash
Jun 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
On 2007-06-15 14:56, Lonzell wrote:
Well yea, but look how many years ffxi been out. add to that its a much more involved style of mmorpg, and you can understand why.

People keep saying you cant compare this game to other mmorpgs and I just dont get that logic at all.

The means by which you deal damage to, and recieve damage from enemies has little to nothing to do with how involved a game can be nor does it limit the content that a game can have.

Sega DID make this game to be played long term just like those other games. They DO want you spending boat loads of time on it and paying that monthly fee for years to come. If you didnt theres no way in hell youd find anything worth a dam.

The thing that seperates this from those other games is C.O.N.T.E.N.T and S.U.P.P.O.R.T.

You dont think an interesting(and time consuming for $$ purposes) crafting system could be implemented into this game? Or challenges and trials that take actual thought? Or series of missions that you have to go through in order to obtain cool stuff? Hell PSO had all that, remember Kireeks scythe? And the frying pan? Remember challenge mode?
PvP, although it sucked. At least it was there for those who wanted to do it. Lobby soccer anyone?

Its like sega isnt even trying to make the game interesting or competitive in any way. Just mindnumbingly monotonous missions for random drops.

Weeeee!!

Who gives a good god dam if they merge the servers if the problems that left them barren(sp?) to begin with are still gonna be there.

edit: ok,ok some of you care and should care, but for me I'd rather see the issues of WHY people are leaving resolved before they give up on getting the people back.

edit: and dont give me any of that "remember how little was in PSO when it came out" crap. This is a SEQUAL! We already played PSO and waited for the new stuff. You dont make a new game in a franchise and take a giant leap backwards in content so you can trickle it out all over again. You add to what you already have!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-06-15 16:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yoshiflash on 2007-06-15 16:30 ]</font>

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 06:20 PM
I care >=/

Merge of the servers = more combined people.

More combined people = easier for ST to listen to our problems and easier to fix them.

Nuff said.

Seira7
Jun 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
On 2007-06-15 15:26, Garnet_Moon wrote:
We on the PC are working class. We're not kids and students like over on the 360 who can hang around on a game all day and waste time on that. They should get jobs... jobs as GM's for PSU on the PC end and play with us... >.>

Um. I am working class. And, I make enough money to BUY a 360 and a massive HDTV.
I have played the PC version on a high-end PC. It just doesnt compare. Leather couch, surround sound, track lighting and PSU in progressive scan. Many of us are not students or kids, we just have jobs and taste.

_tsunami
Jun 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
Actually on a real high end PC the PC version would be better...

Anyway the PS2 version is terrible in terms of its hardware power. The PC version more superior on high end due to the higher mem buff, and instant load from hard drive. The 360 still suffers from the lag.

The only other advantage of PC is the high reso screenshots it can take to share the images of your experience.

Back on topic the population contraversy is a contagious psychology notion, if one person starts it and then it spreads like fire. Though to play this game why would one need an audience of 4 stars or more on a server. Attention seekers? maybe its just that people are becoming like sheeps can't seem to think for themselves and baa along with the crowd. A party itself can only consist of 6 players. Lets be honest and stop bringing on this popularition contest to cover up your attention disorder. "ohh why isn't anyone on PSU whyyyy" well one thing is you can always ask your friends to play, or have you tried something different other than negative slander, cause listening to this is just counter productive to get people to play. Try fabricating some positive recruitment methods into this game sheesh.

And i agree with the suggestion of working/studying class its so true coming from the same background but i have noticed on my days off during the hours i can't normally play that there is about 4 stars on the peak server (1 star is more than enoughf or me really). It could also be the fact our fanbase for PSU is not so big because the hardcore rpg players are on other target audience games like WoW with has more media publicy than that sega has done for PSU.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 11:50 PM
man i wish pc/ps2 had headsets to...

( slightly off topic but a high point about 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
The PC/Ps2 community does indeed suck. It doesn't suck because it's small, but it sucks because there is no sense of community whatsoever. Most players are hostile towards one another, and refuse to take advice. To put it simply, the majority of the playerbase is very, very immature.

Merumeru
Jun 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
XD however people are in the real world tends to translate in a virtual world as well, so its not much different from what you'd expect at, say, high school XP

Almighty_Envy
Jun 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
thats why we need mics. Think about it:

people are all big and strong behind kb but in mics they are nervous and shy.

See mics would fix everything http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Jun 15, 2007, 11:59 PM
On 2007-06-15 21:55, Merumeru wrote:
XD however people are in the real world tends to translate in a virtual world as well, so its not much different from what you'd expect at, say, high school XP

People still thought spamming penis jokes was funny in high school? I thought most people passed that phase at like, I dunno, 10.

Almighty_Envy
Jun 16, 2007, 12:00 AM
actually i thought it was closer to 9

VanHalen
Jun 16, 2007, 12:10 AM
I can understand the immaturity part though it doesn't bother me, but I have yet to meet a player who was hostile to me. Alot have helped me out which shocked me since before I joined PSOW made everyone sound like a jerk.

Sakuya
Jun 16, 2007, 12:19 AM
I have a 360, not PSU for the 360, but I do have a 360. I can say that without a doubt I may have enjoyed being a 360 player.

But i have met six pages worth of Partner cards who were really great to play with on PC. I can honestly say you think too little of us by sterotyping us through the boards.

Kion
Jun 16, 2007, 12:57 AM
On 2007-06-15 21:54, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
The PC/Ps2 community does indeed suck. It doesn't suck because it's small, but it sucks because there is no sense of community whatsoever. Most players are hostile towards one another, and refuse to take advice. To put it simply, the majority of the playerbase is very, very immature.

up yours ;p

Tra
Jun 16, 2007, 01:03 AM
you know what'd be funny? if pc/ps2 users boycotted by removing all of our guides that we've written, wonder what you guys would get stuck with

lol.

Tra
Jun 16, 2007, 01:06 AM
oh and say goodbye to 95% of the content on pso-w, they're from pc users

Mayu
Jun 16, 2007, 01:40 AM
I love our population...

quietness.....

Annoying spammers....

A person named Victor!

But really our population is fine -_- not a big deal playing with like 800 people

GreenArcher
Jun 16, 2007, 01:44 AM
And to the worrywarts about Sega shutting down the PS2/PC servers because of a low populations...

PSO:Blue Burst has a peak hour population of THIRTY TO FOURTY PEOPLE.

Those servers are still running.
Have they been updated in the past year? No but they are still there.

These servers will be here for quite a while.

Madison
Jun 16, 2007, 01:58 AM
Population was the number one reason I quit. Second one being everyone has to act SUPER KAWAII DESU ^_^ to the point is was sickening and unbearable

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Madison on 2007-06-15 23:59 ]</font>

Helly
Jun 16, 2007, 02:12 AM
It sure is strange that the PS2/PC population is low though. Dunno about PC and Europe, but US PS2 sales today should have the game at nearly 50,000 copies sold. That may not seem like much but compared to the people that actually play online its like... what the heck did the other 49,000 buy the game for?

Garin
Jun 16, 2007, 02:32 AM
The only problem I find with the PC/PS2 population is that much of the community is now alts from what I see, or have already gone into their own cliques. Cliques aren't a bad thing, but for a new player it's hard to get a start on things and to find a group of people you can party with regularly.

It's just hard to pick up on the hot spots or whatnot. I've seen people get bored at level 5 because nobody else was in their level range or willing to help out. I speak from experience, too! A friend of mine who's now burnt out is in the high level range and was almost always doing some S2 mission while I looked for pickup groups. I'm not sour over it, but it's hard to keep interest. Urgent Orders is fun too, but I could do without people trying to tell me exactly what to do and how. Hell, someone had a fit that I wasn't talking to them during the mission and then went to the lobby to whine at me.

I'm just glad I haven't met anyone that decides they want to stalk me or get mad anytime I might not want to do a mission. I really hate that passive aggressive stuff.

Yoshiflash
Jun 16, 2007, 02:33 AM
On 2007-06-16 00:12, Helly wrote:
It sure is strange that the PS2/PC population is low though. Dunno about PC and Europe, but US PS2 sales today should have the game at nearly 50,000 copies sold. That may not seem like much but compared to the people that actually play online its like... what the heck did the other 49,000 buy the game for?

half of em bought it and quit immediately because at release it was the emptiest most pathetic game ever as far as content. Remember not even having advanced classes?

Freshellent
Jun 16, 2007, 02:38 AM
On 2007-06-15 23:40, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
I love our population...

quietness.....

Annoying spammers....

A person named Victor!

But really our population is fine -_- not a big deal playing with like 800 people

I think I know that guy. He thinks he looks good and mentioned something about being a pirate right?

Pfft. Fail.

On a more serious note.

Yes,I'm upset that our population is small,yes I'm upset at the lack on content in some cases.

BUT,I've met a number of people who make the experience worthwhile. And I can't say I've meet all 600 or whatever players we have on PC/PS2,every day I meet someone new and constantly have to make room on my cardlist. I'm backed up with mail from people,being called out to help etc. For the most part,at peak hours at least,I'm always busy. If not,I can always run to a hotspot and whore out a mission in preparation for the times that I will spend with closer friends.

I think that if our population was bigger,than I'd be much much less tied to the game. Fact,I feel I've gotten more involved in the community for fear if I didn't it would collapse. When I got it through my think skull that it didn't matter if I personally was here or not then I began to get more comfortable with the game as a whole.

Just take the time to mail someone on your list,cripes it's not hard to say hey. (I know,I know I ignore alot of people sometimes I'm sorry,but I do my best to keep up.)

There have been plenty of times that I've felt hopeless,I look at the stars on the server list and think man,how whack is that. There's no one on! But as I said,how would I expect to meet all of those people and not get along with everyone of them? I couldn't expect to not find at least one person I could at least casually have a conversation with,or run a map.

I admit,gathering a party to do runs outside of hotspots is incredibly hard. I've always had trouble with it,so in that sense I see why a larger population would help. But, really, everyone runs the same shit anyway. So why does it matter? I consider myself lucky to have met the people I have and that I am able to convince them to do runs elsewhere.

In the case of this event,I don't really care. Running the same map is to be expected. It's just how this game is. My point is,in some respects it doesn't even matter. Some things you'll just have to deal with. If you don't like it,then go. No one's holding you here,in fact most of you already have.

I'm tired of the comparisons and complaints people have with this game. If you don't like it,just leave,your not helping the people who do enjoy themselves by constantly being negative. Your not going to miss us and we certainly aren't going to miss you.

Helly
Jun 16, 2007, 03:12 AM
On 2007-06-16 00:33, Yoshiflash wrote:
half of em bought it and quit immediately because at release it was the emptiest most pathetic game ever as far as content. Remember not even having advanced classes?

About 32,000 people bought in '06 but that still leaves about 18,000 in the last almost six months. Where are those people? And again that still leaves out PC/Euro players.

Kent
Jun 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
On 2007-06-15 15:26, Garnet_Moon wrote:

Generalizations, especially those that are just outright wrong, make you look ever-so-intelligent.

'Cause obviously, there's not a single person on the 360 version that has a job, and not a single person on the PC version that is a student or a kid. Obviously.

Pengfishh
Jun 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
So here's a question for the 360 converts:

Has it been more fun? It's been on my mind for some time to switch, but would require I purchase a 360 which I'm not too hot to do (PSU is the only game I've played in a year, really). I'll just try to win one somehow.

Eliash
Jun 16, 2007, 01:08 PM
On 2007-06-16 11:01, Pengfishh wrote:

Has it been more fun? It's been on my mind for some time to switch, but would require I purchase a 360 which I'm not too hot to do (PSU is the only game I've played in a year, really). I'll just try to win one somehow.

I cannot say from the view point of a 360 convert, however, I can say from what I understand of those who did switch over from PC/PS2 to 360 they found it different and most enjoyed it.

My personal suggestion is to switch over to the 360 only if you can afford to, if not then the PC/PS2 servers shouldn't be too bad off. I would suggest looking into other 360 games that are out or may be out and deciding if there are some that you would be interested in getting. If you find a few interesting games then the buying of the 360 shouldn't be as bad as it would be for just 1 game. The good news is that you can pretty much pick up PSU for about $15.

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
On 2007-06-16 11:01, Pengfishh wrote:

I wouldn't switch just for PSU. If you want a 360 for other games (Gears of War, Halo3, Fable 2, blah blah blah) then I'd say go for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-06-16 11:10 ]</font>

Parn
Jun 16, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm one of those converts that's extremely happy to have made the transition. Though the community is at its worst at the moment, due to Jaggo Sonichis. It has brought out the worst in 90% of the playerbase, and I'm waiting for Firebreak to end so things can settle back down.

If you do buy a 360 though, you won't regret it. There's a crapload of good games on the way. Mass Effect, Fable 2, Ace Combat 6, My Beautiful Katamari, Eternal Sonata, etc.

Kent
Jun 16, 2007, 01:16 PM
Yes, it has been much more fun on the 360 version than on the PC version, for me.

For multiple reasons, too. Voice chat makes things easier (que some idiot spamming about Ventrilo/equivalent) as far as communication goes, you don't need a monster of a PC rig to get a decent framerate on the game, slowdown is minimal, Xbox 360 hardware has sound distortion for sounds coming from the back (to my knowledge, the PC version of PSU doesn't support this), which adds a lot more depth to the experience than you'd think; not to mention, it supports surround sound, as well (don't think the PC version does - never really checked)...

Of course, it's not all because of hardware/software differences. The Xbox 360 version actually has a very balanced economy (the PC version had the exact opposite, at the time I left), the population is quite a bit larger, meaning that it's pretty easy to meet new people, and have varying gameplay experiences.

Oh, and let's not forget that it's much better and more fun to start out, when you're not limited to solely the initial release content... But that only really applies if you started back then, anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2007-06-16 11:17 ]</font>

Parn
Jun 16, 2007, 01:24 PM
Now that Kent mentions it, that's another big thing about the 360 version of PSU... there are graphical and audible effects present in the 360 version that are missing on PC and PS2. For example, when an enemy disappears when it goes too far from its spawn point, a distortion effect is left behind. When enemies teleport in, there's more graphical flair. The draw distance is farther and so pop-up is less apparent. More sound effects and monster groans are present too. Ohmagoug does a lot more growling and sounds more menacing on 360. That goes for most of the monsters, really.

RedX
Jun 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
On 2007-06-15 13:34, NIloklives wrote:

....What?

*info from Google*

30mil+300mil = 330mil
60mil +60 mil = 120mil
120mil+ 330mil = 450mil

not even half a billion.

forgot the "" in between the equals http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif. thats why there are two, i meant to put that.

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 01:34 PM
#1 ps2 does have a mic...
#2 quality over quantity in terms of population...and like i have already said in another topic PC/PS2 has prolly more higher quality people who actually contribute to the whole of the PSU community.

Helly
Jun 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
Our population is soon to be doomed if nobody stops the person that's been crashing servers the last few days. -_-;

Sexy_Raine
Jun 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, I've been informed that UNI 1 just crashed, yet again. I'm hidden somewhere peaceful though.

Eliash
Jun 16, 2007, 01:53 PM
On 2007-06-16 11:34, DurakkenX wrote:
#2 quality over quantity in terms of population...and like i have already said in another topic PC/PS2 has prolly more higher quality people who actually contribute to the whole of the PSU community.

Despite Durakken's claim that the xbox 360 is void of 'high quality' people, the fact remains there are a large number of people who are good. Sure, there's always a troublesome bunch, but I can tell you one thing, switching platforms doesn't mean you are entering into a dark realm where there is no good. Just be smart and cautious with who you trust and you will not have a problem.

February
Jun 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
This may be completely crazy of me, but I kinda think maybe we should all stop complaining and just try and, I dunno... have fun with the game?

DreamLocke
Jun 16, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hacks, server crashes, screwed up economy and elitism... Hm I'm glad I'm not one of those 'high quality' people. 360 is fine for me.

February
Jun 16, 2007, 02:05 PM
I love how whenever anyone around here that says the other system is full of elitism, they go and say something elitist.

Sorry, both servers have their share of elitism. Not just one or the other.

Sekani
Jun 16, 2007, 02:08 PM

1) You can't use the PS2 mic in PSU, so why even mention it?
2) A contribution to the "community" is not necessarily the same as a contribution to a more fun playing experience. Take that as you will.

Wheatpenny
Jun 16, 2007, 02:08 PM

That is funny I quit this game on ps2/PC in Feb and played WoW, got to level 70 and realized that I am stuck raiding if I want anything else out of the game. I then came back here last week and have been having a blast. Every game has some form of repetition in it at least the repetition of blasting things in PSU is fun. Also I like the small community because people see you around more and remember you. Hell when I came back everyone was welcoming me with open arms, kinda made me feel like Norm from Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wheatpenny on 2007-06-16 12:10 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
DreamLocke there is very little if any elitism in PS2/PC... The fact the PC people contribute more to the overall community is not an attitude, it is a fact.

As far as screwed up economy, yes, the PC have a messed up economy, but so does the 360.

As far as "hacks" well...i haven't heard of any recently really so.... what are you talking about?

The server crashes... MS has better servers, this has only happened recently and will prolly be fixed soon enough, and really it's more a sonic team is lazy and 360 hackers are also lazy and prolly don't want to spend the money to extensively hack it... it's not "more secure"

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:08, Sekani wrote:

2) A contribution to the "community" is not necessarily the same as a contribution to a more fun playing experience. Take that as you will.

1. I'm jsut pointing out it is not a flaw with the ps2 but rather a flaw with sonic team.

2. See the thing is I've played with most of the people that prolly play the 360 version as people that played the xbox pso ver are prolyl the same that play 360 psu... and most of them are not fun to play with. Not saying that all of them are bad...just most of them. And given that I find people on PC more enjoyable ^.^

Para
Jun 16, 2007, 02:24 PM
Back on topic,

We won't get any large population increase anytime soon. Maybe a trickle here and there but I hardly doubt we could see a mass movement of players coming into PSU between now and AOI release. Our biggest window of opportunity would be at AOI release to show how much PSU has evolved since the original release to those who did play before to attract those to come back and new players who really want a new orpg experience that already has a fairly developed amount of content.

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:11, DurakkenX wrote:
DreamLocke there is very little if any elitism in PS2/PC... The fact the PC people contribute more to the overall community is not an attitude, it is a fact.

Holding the fact that we can't take screenshots over our heads is the definition of elitism.

Sekani
Jun 16, 2007, 02:28 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:15, DurakkenX wrote:
2. See the thing is I've played with most of the people that prolly play the 360 version as people that played the xbox pso ver are prolyl the same that play 360 psu... and most of them are not fun to play with. Not saying that all of them are bad...just most of them.

I'm trying to maintain my civility here instead of just flaming you like I usually do, but when you pull retarded assumptions out of your ass like you did here and in the post above it, it's difficult for me to continue replying to you on a mature level.

Anyway in response to your quote above, your assumption is false, and you really have no basis for claiming it to be even remotely true. You don't play on the 360 servers, so to claim that you've played with most of the people that probably play it is just asinine.

This I don't agree with based on what I see from some PC/PS2 users on the forums, but I'm not going to say you're wrong.

As far as screwed up economy, yes, the PC have a messed up economy, but so does the 360.
This time you are wrong. You have no basis, neither factual, first-hand, nor anecdotal, for making such a claim.

As far as "hacks" well...i haven't heard of any recently really so.... what are you talking about?
The troublesome script kiddies by nearly all accounts have moved on, so I have to agree with you here as well.

The server crashes... MS has better servers, this has only happened recently and will prolly be fixed soon enough, and really it's more a sonic team is lazy and 360 hackers are also lazy and prolly don't want to spend the money to extensively hack it... it's not "more secure"
Not sure what's up with your servers, but the lack of "hacks" on the 360 is not so much due to security or laziness, but more that the rewards are not worth the time or effort involved. Not to mention I don't think anyone wants to risk getting their $400 console turned into a paperweight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-06-16 12:44 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 02:28 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:24, Para wrote:
Back on topic,

We won't get any large population increase anytime soon. Maybe a trickle here and there but I hardly doubt we could see a mass movement of players coming into PSU between now and AOI release. Our biggest window of opportunity would be at AOI release to show how much PSU has evolved since the original release to those who did play before to attract those to come back and new players who really want a new orpg experience that already has a fairly developed amount of content.

I want to marry you for not adding two "M"'s infront of that.

Indeed, AoI is an excellent opportunity to entice former players to come back if they were less than thrilled with the original content.

February
Jun 16, 2007, 02:29 PM
And technically, the 360 players can, as long as their PC are equipped to do so.

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 02:34 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:28, Sekani wrote:
I'm trying to maintain my civility here instead of just flaming you like I usually do, but when you pull retarded assumptions out of your ass like you did here and in the post above it, it's difficult for me to continue replying to you on a mature level.

I'll edit this post in a moment with what those false assumptions are.

So now you're admitting to flaming me on purpose and showing my point exactly? You're right, you win. You are civil and show exactly why people should come play with you.

TetsuyaHikari
Jun 16, 2007, 02:37 PM
This is getting a little ridiculous. Okay..I'll make a simple statement here. If someone wants to complain about the "population" of PS2, then go somewhere else.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of all these people going around creating these, "Awww..boo hoo..the population is terrible, people hack, the economy is bad...what should I do?". How about this? Instead of complaining to the whole community about it, why not just save your breath and switch to a different console/system already?

All the complaints will do is cause the population to decrease more, once they see 360 users come in here and start replying back with, "Yeah, we don't have these kind of problems" or "Come join us!". It really doesn't do any good to post problems about the population.

All we can really do are the following options:

A) Try and gather others to the PS2 version (I've gotten two of my friends to go out and buy a copy, plus the network adapter and keyboard)
B) Wait and hope to see more people come around during the release time of AoI
C) Quit complaining about everything in the world and just try to enjoy yourself

Seriously...it's getting old http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

Kent
Jun 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:15, DurakkenX wrote:

On 2007-06-16 12:08, Sekani wrote:

1. I'm jsut pointing out it is not a flaw with the ps2 but rather a flaw with sonic team.

2. See the thing is I've played with most of the people that prolly play the 360 version as people that played the xbox pso ver are prolyl the same that play 360 psu... and most of them are not fun to play with. Not saying that all of them are bad...just most of them. And given that I find people on PC more enjoyable ^.^

If you're talking hard numbers, then there are probably as many "quality people" on the Xbox 360 version, as there are on the PC/PS2 version.

Then, you take into account the vast population difference... And more likely than not, you've got a higher actual number of "quality" people on the 360 version, simply because there's a higher population, and a higher population, means higher numbers of people of various types.

Of course, you've got to be just a complete moron to think that just because someone plays on Xbox Live instead of something else, that they're an undesirable person in general. Stereotyping doesn't bode well for one's credibility or image, you know. Conversely, just because someone plays on the PS2 or PC, doesn't mean that they're all starshine and happiness, either. I've met more than my share of complete jackasses on the PC version - don't stereotype.

Not to mention, that there are far more people that have played PSU online on the 360, than there ever were people who played PSO on the Xbox online. That means that mentioning this as some form of pseudo-logic is even less relevant. :/

The fact that the PS2 does have a microphone, is not in any way related to flaws with Sonic Team. Really, list how many PS2 games use the mic. The only times Sonic Team has chosen to support voice chat directly in a game, has been when they made online games for the Xbox platforms.

Why?

Because it's part of the Xbox platform. Voice chat is not managed by PSU at all, aside from telling the Xbox Live infrastructure which players are in your party. It's not a flaw on Sonic Team's fault for not including voice chat support for the PC and PS2 versions - it's the "fault" of Microsoft for giving the developers the option and hooks necessary to use it. It really must take a very short amount of time, to flip the "yes, use voice chat under these conditions" switch in an Xbox 360 game.

Starrz
Jun 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
On 2007-06-15 10:08, Serephim wrote:
Its very discourging to play a game with so little people. Although finding a party isnt very hard,
HURRR Then what's the problem?

February
Jun 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
That's what I'm saying. Just have fun and enjoy the game.

Sekani
Jun 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:34, DurakkenX wrote:

On 2007-06-16 12:28, Sekani wrote:

I'll edit this post in a moment with what those false assumptions are.

So now you're admitting to flaming me on purpose and showing my point exactly? You're right, you win. You are civil and show exactly why people should come play with you.

Whatever. See edit above (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=144948&forum=20&start=80&100#86) please.

Mayu
Jun 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
Here

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/Ryuugu-Rena/Roflsomething.jpg

February
Jun 16, 2007, 02:50 PM
The sad thing is how true that is

Eliash
Jun 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, I agree. Xbox does have better cookies! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sekani
Jun 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
LOL, Rena just won the thread.

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 02:56 PM
quality as far as their contribution to community fun... Possibly 360, but considering that would require a vote of everyone and everyone having played on both servers it's inconclusive.
quality as far as their contribution to community information... PC wins
quality as far as personality based on most known individuals... PC wins
quality as far as general intelligence of known events... PC wins
quality as far as trust worthyness... PC wins
quality as far as in game skill... well some people are just dumb and i bet this is pretty equal percentage wise.

Sooo PC wins ^.^

Also people tend to play on the same brand system for sequals when possible...so the relevancy is well within the bounds.

February
Jun 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
Remember what I said a few posts back? It applies here again.

Mayu
Jun 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/Ryuugu-Rena/Roflagain.jpg

DurakkenX
Jun 16, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:48, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
Here

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/Ryuugu-Rena/Roflsomething.jpg

>.> PC just steals all the cookies >.>

McLaughlin
Jun 16, 2007, 03:02 PM
On 2007-06-16 12:56, DurakkenX wrote:
quality as far as their contribution to community fun... Possibly 360, but considering that would require a vote of everyone and everyone having played on both servers it's inconclusive.
quality as far as their contribution to community information... PC wins
quality as far as personality based on most known individuals... PC wins
quality as far as general intelligence of known events... PC wins
quality as far as trust worthyness... PC wins
quality as far as in game skill... well some people are just dumb and i bet this is pretty equal percentage wise.

Sooo PC wins ^.^

Also people tend to play on the same brand system for sequals when possible...so the relevancy is well within the bounds.

Ability to pull facts out of a magician's hat; PC wins.

Seriously guys, SHARE THE DAMN COOKIES.

DreamLocke
Jun 16, 2007, 03:04 PM
"Hacks, server crashes, screwed up economy and elitism... Hm I'm glad I'm not one of those 'high quality' people. 360 is fine for me."-DreamLocke

On 2007-06-16 12:05, February wrote:
I love how whenever anyone around here that says the other system is full of elitism, they go and say something elitist.

Sorry, both servers have their share of elitism. Not just one or the other.

Crap, did that sound elitist? Not my intention. I responded that way because someone called about 2,000 plus people out in a horrible generalization. Not elitist, just reactionary. And doing so I shot back with my own foolish generalization. Forums can do that to you... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Mayu
Jun 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/Ryuugu-Rena/Roflagain-1.jpg

A2K
Jun 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think that's enough for now