PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to connect a keyboard to the 360?

Chii
Jun 16, 2007, 07:03 PM
I am curious.... is it possible to connect a keyboard to the 360? I've been contemplating getting a 360 for some time, and PSU has been one of those reasons. But being deaf, I am unable to make use of the voice chat, and the on-screen keyboard to me sounds like something I'd rather not have to put up with, which is why I've stuck with PC PSU thus far.

Notice: This topic was originally part of Sega's "PSU Texter": Device of Bafflement (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?forum=20&topic=143512)

Konstanse_Xx
Jun 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
I think so, since if what I saw, it plugs into a USB drive on the xBox, and it makes perfect sense for it to be.

Eliash
Jun 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yes the 360 does allow for a USB keyboard to be used.

StanleyPain
Jun 17, 2007, 03:37 AM
Any USB keyboard will work, but for some reason the function keys don't activate quick-phrases like they did in PSO. This has got to be a glitch in PSU that has gone unfixed as it seems it was originally intended what with the slots being labelled "F1-F2" etc....

XEOJIMMY
Jun 17, 2007, 04:37 AM
Yeh all the F1 etc dont work, i brought a keybaord ( USB ) off ebay for £5 works a treat.

Tykwa
Jun 17, 2007, 05:32 AM
Texter= 30$
some cheap ass keyboard = 10$

And yes, you can hook it up

I edited this spot because I was a total asshole to an innocent person

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tykwa on 2007-06-17 07:32 ]</font>

Synyster
Jun 17, 2007, 06:32 AM
Thats kool, I had been wondering that myself... but I wasn't so bothered as to reach down behind my computer, pull the keyboard out, n plug it in the front of the 360. lol, but at least now I know that if i can ever summon the effort to do that, it would actually work http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chii
Jun 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
On 2007-06-17 03:32, Tykwa wrote:

That's why you read a manuel before asking too many questions

That would require obtaining the game and or system first since I believe I don't own either yet. So why take the risk of putting down the ~350 usd + 45 usd. For something I may not be able to use?

Nor do I know anyone else who has PSU on 360 so my access to a manual is not existant. Again why I decided to ask on a PSU FORUM.

Tykwa
Jun 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
On 2007-06-17 06:45, Chii wrote:

That would require obtaining the game and or system first since I believe I don't own either yet. So why take the risk of putting down the ~350 usd + 45 usd. For something I may not be able to use?

Nor do I know anyone else who has PSU on 360 so my access to a manual is not existant. Again why I decided to ask on a PSU FORUM.

I was assuming you have read or looked at the 360 specs, Sorry.

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
Any USB keyboard works fine with PSU, and if you tell people you can't hear them, they're usually willng to accommodate you. Most people have a keyboard, from what I can see.

I hope to see you soon!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-06-17 08:25 ]</font>

ThEoRy
Jun 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
On 2007-06-17 06:45, Chii wrote:

45$?? I've purchased several copies of PSU X360 for friends of mine paying only 20$ and even 11$ for brand new copies not used. Look on Amazon.com I see they have em under 20$ now.

Chii
Jun 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
Okay then, anywhere from 11-20 for PSU and 350 for the 360? Nonetheless it's still not something I'm going to buy without knowing if I can make use of it. And yes, I do want to buy the premium package as I want the hard drive to be included.

I do hope to be online soon as well, but as far as it goes. When I kept trying to ask around about the 360 and keyboard compatibility people kept saying something about needing an adapter or that they didn't know. Which was really of no help to me.

Will have to wait a month or so before I get it as I need to first get the cash to pay my new laptop off, and then from that point on I'll either save up for a premium one which includes the nifty hard drive + wireless controller. Or if you don't need a new xbox to get an xbl account, I may just end up buying a used 360 along with the hard drive as I already have a wired controller that I use on my PC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chii on 2007-06-17 10:47 ]</font>

StanleyPain
Jun 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
The thing about PSU is it's not hard to find used and you can get it used without any problems. It doesn't use serial numbers like previous PSO games, so any copy can be used on any Xbox.

McLaughlin
Jun 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
On 2007-06-17 10:44, Chii wrote:
Okay then, anywhere from 11-20 for PSU and 350 for the 360? Nonetheless it's still not something I'm going to buy without knowing if I can make use of it. And yes, I do want to buy the premium package as I want the hard drive to be included.

I do hope to be online soon as well, but as far as it goes. When I kept trying to ask around about the 360 and keyboard compatibility people kept saying something about needing an adapter or that they didn't know. Which was really of no help to me.

Will have to wait a month or so before I get it as I need to first get the cash to pay my new laptop off, and then from that point on I'll either save up for a premium one which includes the nifty hard drive + wireless controller. Or if you don't need a new xbox to get an xbl account, I may just end up buying a used 360 along with the hard drive as I already have a wired controller that I use on my PC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chii on 2007-06-17 10:47 ]</font>

I'd stick with a new one, but I have a phobia of used electronics so I'm kind of biased. I've got bad enough luck with new stuff, and the warranty is usually a god-send. You do not need a new 360 to set up Xbox Live though, so no worries there.

I <3 my Wireless controller. Too bad we can't hook them up to PCs yet.

KidoKresh
Jun 17, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yes you can... i just wish i could play with my keyboard so i dont have to recharge my controllers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sekani
Jun 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
On 2007-06-17 10:44, Chii wrote:
Or if you don't need a new xbox to get an xbl account, I may just end up buying a used 360 along with the hard drive as I already have a wired controller that I use on my PC.

I'd have to strongly advise against buying a used 360 right now. Last month Microsoft went on a mass banning spree (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789640p1.html) and people are unloading their banned consoles to ebay, GameStop, etc. If you happen to end up with one of these consoles, you won't be able to play online with it.

Kent
Jun 17, 2007, 09:47 PM
On 2007-06-17 17:02, Obsidian_Knight wrote
I <3 my Wireless controller. Too bad we can't hook them up to PCs yet.

Eh?

The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Reciever (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessgamingreceiver/) says otherwise.

And to answer the topic question: Yes, you can use any USB Windows-compatible USB keyboard with the Xbox 360, and no adapter is required. Whether or not the games will allow in-game usage of them, however, is dependant on the game.

The only games that people should ever be using a keyboard on in the first place, PSU and FFXI, both work just fine with keyboards.