PDA

View Full Version : This is pathetic...

BlueDagger
Jun 17, 2007, 05:37 PM
"After a few days, Corrupted Blood had become World of Warcraft's version of the Black Death, rendering entire cities uninhabitable and causing players to avoid large clusters of other players, and in many cases, causing players to avoid major cities all together.

Due to the curse's peculiar behavior, it was never meant to leave Zul'Gurub - the ability to infect pets and NPCs was a side effect unconsidered by the developers. The intended behavior involves the final boss fight with Hakkar. Every so often, Hakkar will cast this debuff on a random player, effectivly forcing players to be spread apart, or in the case of melee classes, to move away from Hakkar before spreading it to the other melee classes. Blizzard Entertainment tried several times to fix the problem, including imposing quarantine on certain places. This "plague" was eventually "cured" by changing the mechanics of the Hakkar encounter to eliminate the spreading of the effect from player to player. Hakkar still has an ability called Corrupted Blood, but it now takes the form of a red bolt launched at a random player fighting the boss. The player and those nearby take damage, and receive a heavy damage over time, but the effect no longer spreads further.

Due to the large scale outbreak of the "plague" (some servers had half of their players infected), it drew wide attention from the media. Nina Fefferman, a Tufts University assistant research professor of public health and family medicine, calls for research on this incident, citing the resemblances with biological plagues. Some scientists want to study how people would react to environmental pathogens, by using the virtual counterpart as a point of reference.[2]

In addition, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had requested statistics on this event for research on epidemics."

Sord
Jun 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
oh wow, this is both funny and pathetic at the same time

Tykwa
Jun 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
I have this xD Idk if I still have it though it doesnt bother me much I Havn't been on in like 10 days

Tact
Jun 17, 2007, 05:41 PM
I fought Hakkar before.

Corrupted Blood actually helps the raid beat him. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Weeaboolits
Jun 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
I don't really see how it's pathetic, I mean, how else are they supposed to study the spread of a plague, start one?

Sord
Jun 17, 2007, 05:53 PM
On 2007-06-17 15:48, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
I don't really see how it's pathetic, I mean, how else are they supposed to study the spread of a plague, start one?

duh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

it's a bad study because it doesn't take into acount the fact that many people wouldn't leave their homes and lives behind when a serious plague does break out. Because they are game characters, there is (usually) far less emotion attached towards their well being.

Weeaboolits
Jun 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
It could still be used to study the spread of more mild things, like colds or something, though.

Sord
Jun 17, 2007, 06:01 PM
On 2007-06-17 16:00, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
It could still be used to study the spread of more mild things, like colds or something, though.

people don't evacuate entire cities over the cold >_> unless perhaps your in a 3rd world country with no anti-biotics, but that' generally not who they are studying for unless funded by a celebrity

Weeaboolits
Jun 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
Well I really meant the idea of using the system to test it, more than data. :/

I'm sure they have an idea, though. ;]

Katrina
Jun 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
I played another MMO where something similar happened (EQOA for PS2). A plague was introduced, and affected certain towns. At the time, the major town hangout (Highpass) was affected, and ppl were forced to move on to other areas to avoid infection.

To this day, with the plague long long gone, Highpass has never been the same. Most ppl hang out in Freeport now, the town most eventually migrated to in place of Highpass when the plague was in game.