PDA

View Full Version : Dusting Off The Controller

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
So I've been bored lately and decided to return to PSU. I hung around here prior to release and about a month afterwards but I soon left to focus on getting into a college and whatnot; also due to the fact that the game still played like a beta on its release. If you remember me then props to you.

Anyways, just thought I'd pop my head in here and see what's changed since last fall before I go and spend my cash signing up again.

Mwabwetumba
Jun 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm afraid I do not recognize you from the release, but I'm glad to hear you're coming back...by the way, are you on the X360 or the PC/Ps2?
If the latter, I look forward to playing with you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'll be on the PC. Perhaps I should add that to my profile...and update that old weapon speed thread >.<
Anyways, I look forward to playing with you as well.

Deja
Jun 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
you made the weapon speed thread? I do remember that.

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yes, though I do need to update it with ATP calculations for a rough idea of weapon efficiency but I'll do that later.
My main inquiry is not really just the updates PSU has received as I can easily find that in logs and whatnot (though if someone wanted to list them here that'd be nice http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif), but more on the current status of the community and how it is affecting the 'metagame' if you will.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2007-06-20 14:11 ]</font>

February
Jun 20, 2007, 05:03 PM
if you are the same break that is on my friends list, you are one of the first people I met in the game.

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 05:11 PM
That would be me! I remember playing with you February, good times. I'll be playing again once I go to Sega and set up my credit card info. So, what's the current consensus on the advanced classes, I left before they were implemented into the US version.

imfanboy
Jun 20, 2007, 05:39 PM
Um.

General consensus:

Fortegunner and Fortetecher: Overpowered. Very few enemies are tech or bullet resistant, and if they're bullet resistant the FG can drop a trap to virus them and then go to town with a dagger or a spear. Several of the Ult bullet arts help make the FG very powerful as well; just go look at Sophie's Yak Zagenga thread if you want an example.

Fortefighter: Pretty much gimped. Too many enemies are melee resistant; add to that the utter lack of ranged attacks, the low ATA, and the inability to inflict any sort of SE...

Guntecher: Like a FG, but with slightly lower ATP and better single-handed weapons to make up for it, not to mention low-level Resta and debuffs. Twin Mayalee is very helpful for them, but Mayalee Prism is what finally brings the GT up to FG levels.

Wartecher: Pretty much gimped, but less gimped than a FF. While they don't have awesome melee damage, they do have access to very nice PAs, still get spears for Dus Daggas, have actual DECENT ranged weapons for melee-resistant monsters (no effing handguns!) and can tech for decent damage provided you're a newman or human.

Figunner: The HUmar of PSU. For a while, everyone was a figunner because "OMFG DUBLE SBERS!" Fortunately, that's dropped off a bit, but Figunners are pretty much superior to FFs because they still have access to decent SEs via traps, can use twin handguns, crossbows, and mechguns for damage against melee-resistant enemies, and can dish out a helluva lot of damage in melee - barely below that of a Fortefighter, despite the supposed ATP boost a FF has.

Protranser: Not for the wuss of heart. While you may never deal high damage at any one point, your damage is a constant, flat curve; you can whip out the axe for single-target damage, sword for hordes, shotgun for single-target damage, bow for ranged, drop traps for SE...

For AoI, WTs and PTs become the versatile monsters they should be (WTs get level 30 PAs and level 20 bullets, and PTs get S-rank in all the weapons they have A rank in now), Guntechers can finally support well with level 30 support techs, fortetechers get gimped a bit because dambarta doesn't flinch, fortefighters stay the same (gimped), and fortegunners stay the same (pretty burly) with level 20 melee PAs added in for good measure.

That's the general consensus, but of course individual's mileage may vary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-06-20 15:40 ]</font>

KiteWolfwood
Jun 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
Community is great if you are in the higher levels. Community sucks if you are not. It just has been a huge headache trying to level my now 26 newmen. The only reason I am 26 with it is because I luckily found 2 level 70ish players doing Moatoobs Firebreak mission all day. Other then those 5 levels I gained in that party I have just had mostly solo and then there is the occasional party I find that I can get to do a run.

Higher levels is just a blast though. Lots of people an parties. No complaints. And by higher level I dont even really mean that high, just around 50ish.

Garin
Jun 20, 2007, 05:45 PM
I have to say welcome back to PSU PC then when you get here, though you may or may not see me as I have a rather hectic schedule mondays and wednesdays taking care of a roommate's baby for four hours.

That consensus is fairly accurate too, from what I have seen. You may notice differences in performance early on in levels and class levels, but in the end that's what it amounts to. What matters is what you really wanna do! As a wartecher I play a lot like a HUnewearl from PSO being a human. I mostly melee but I use resta/reverser and shifta/deband. I'm trying to fine-tune my normal general pallette for more, but there isn't a whole lot. Wartechers also get a little more tolerable once their ATA gets high enough to use the cards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write that up imfanboy. I'm glad to hear that because I was planning to aim for a Fortecher, Wartecher, or Protranser. By the way, can I get a link to info pertaining AoI? Also, when is it expected to be released?

KiteWolfwood
Jun 20, 2007, 05:51 PM
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=139201&forum=20

Everything you need to know.

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the link Kite. Didn't see it in the FAQ, but any ideas on release date? Hopefully the fourth quarter of 2007?

EDIT: Never mind

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2007-06-20 16:25 ]</font>

-Break-
Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry to double post but I have a quick question. Once you pick an Expert Class are you locked into that class or are you still able to switch around?

Garin
Jun 20, 2007, 06:59 PM
You can switch around just as you would the basic classes. In fact, since I got Ranger 5 I've been levelling Guntecher on the side. Well... guntecher bullets at least.

imfanboy
Jun 21, 2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, my main is actually GT10/FT9/FG8; right now I'm doing a lot of fortegunner because I'm soloing Grove S a lot looking for [b] Degahna Cannon... Gah. I've got the Adahna Cannon body part, just need THE BOARD!!

It's not even expensive to change classes. Even for my level 80 character, it's like 4.5k meseta to change around - hell, it costs more than that just to swap hairstyles.

If you're going to multiclass, there are worse sets you could pick than fortetecher/wartecher/protranser; you can use spears, single sabers, and bows as all 3 classes, cards and technics as WT and FT, and fists as both WT and PT.

Um, what race are you? If you're newman, I would earnestly recommend against PT, however. If there's any one combination of class/race that I would call heavily gimped, it would be newman PT. The two lowest ATPs in the game combined means that you really are lagging way behind the other classes in terms of damage, plus your low newman HP means that you're not really taking advantage of the PT's ability in that area. I mean, I've known newman PTs but they follow the class mostly because they're stubborn rather than because it's any good...

But oh well. If you had a newman, I'd stick to WT and FT primarily. PT is best as a main class, with maybe fortefighter as a sometimes-side class when all you need is power.

KiteWolfwood
Jun 21, 2007, 12:07 AM
I have seen plenty of Newmen PT. They all use bows though to take use of the armor ignoring aspect of them. Plus traps do not rely on any stat. Also did you know that Male Beast only have 128 more atp then Male Newmen?

Edit: Male newmen PT need 22 atp to equip an Ank Pikor. How cruel is that. This is a 80 10 PT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteWolfwood on 2007-06-20 22:14 ]</font>

-Break-
Jun 21, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well I have a Newman who I plan to have as a Fortetecher and perhaps a Guntecher or Fortegunner. I hear that Cast and Beast are far superior when it comes to Wartecher, thus I have just created a Beast character aiming for WT and maybe Fortefighter or something on the side; I can't see Beasts excelling at much else.

It seems Casts have a lot of versatility in that they can go from FF to FG to GT to FG.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2007-06-20 22:45 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
Jun 21, 2007, 12:47 AM
eh, CAST are good to a point for fortefighter, but if you want to bring out the real power of the class then beast is the way to go, also wartecher only gets 2 hits for every melee photon art, if you use single weapons a lot then you're okay, but quite a few two handed PA's suck till the 3rd hit.

KiteWolfwood
Jun 21, 2007, 12:52 AM
Here use this so you can actually see the stat differences between the class race combos. That way you can see for yourself instead of just relying on what people are saying.

http://psu.amesani.org/project/

February
Jun 21, 2007, 12:18 PM
Message me sometime if you need any assistance. If nothing else, I have a Fortetecher and can help you level that way, while healing you.

imfanboy
Jun 21, 2007, 11:35 PM
Yes, but as a beast female PT I could equip an Ank Pikor at around 60/10 - and 11* plus S-ranks will not exactly be out of my reach once we get AoI. That 128 ATP difference DOES matter, and it'll only matter more once we get better % multipliers from class level 10 plus.

It's not that newman PTs are bad, they're just gimped by the very definition of the term: they can't take advantage of everything the class has to offer.