PDA

View Full Version : Item: Frowny-face science

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Dec 17, 2002, 04:41 PM
"The number of hours logged on a character usually increases chances of finding rares" is what I've heard too much :3 Correlation between hours played and rares found doesn't necessarily mean causation! =^_^=

"STFU Snapple, I haven't heard about you making an unbiased experiment!" Ok, I give up.

I hate statistical inference; someone please reverse engineer the compiled asm code and give us a pseudo-code algorithm for determining the probability for item drops.

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 04:51 PM
Yes. Please. I'm getting tired of "Well I found a bunch of anecdotal evidence that can be taken to support my pet theory about this, and am ignoring all sorts of other anecdotal evidence that doesn't support it because that makes it harder for me to prove it's MY theory that's right"

I mean...who cares? If it's pseudo-random, it's still going to be pseudo-random when we know how they randomize it, right? Knowledge of the formula doesn't always give control over it, right?

LollipopLolita
Dec 17, 2002, 04:53 PM
usually it's just like this, they find more rares because they are at a higher level after longer playing hours (hopefully) and therefore play at higher difficulty levels which has more chances of dropping better rares, and they also get through it faster, kill more enemies quicker in a one set period of time and it "feels" like it's more rares.

really maybe us players should be like jp players and play 100 laps of each level/quest for excavation/findings reports.

SaitoH
Dec 17, 2002, 04:57 PM
I spent the last 6 months working from a dank hotel room, literally pouring over stacks of statistical data -while drinking copious amounts of beer- to come up with these ratings for finding "uber rares" in PSO.

10 star rares = fucking hard to get
11 star rares = really fucking hard to get.
12 star rares = OMG WTF? STFD and STFU those are SOOOOOO fucking hard to get.

Using these as a frame of reference, I found that the only real way improve the odds of finding "uber rares" is to play more.

or!

You could jam a horseshoe up your ass and hope for the best like the rest of us.

Whatever works best for you.

^w^

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 05:11 PM
On 2002-12-17 13:53, LollipopLolita wrote:
usually it's just like this, they find more rares because they are at a higher level after longer playing hours (hopefully) and therefore play at higher difficulty levels which has more chances of dropping better rares, and they also get through it faster, kill more enemies quicker in a one set period of time and it "feels" like it's more rares.

really maybe us players should be like jp players and play 100 laps of each level/quest for excavation/findings reports.

Heh. I'm up for that, but I don't want to do it all by myself. Organizing a team to do it would be nice, and I'd be willing to take one of the areas or quests or whatever. If people are interested, it's easy enough to contact me.

LollipopLolita
Dec 17, 2002, 05:15 PM
if people are really up for that, i'll set up a thing using these forums, and have an excavation team. post excavation reports. if you're really up for it, i can tell you how to go about doing it the right way so it's consistent.

LollipopLolita
Dec 17, 2002, 05:20 PM
or we could start with 25 or 50 and not freak people out

Kayumi
Dec 17, 2002, 08:32 PM
As stated, I'd be up to it for sure, once exams finish (two days from now).

LollipopLolita
Dec 17, 2002, 11:42 PM
kayumi look here

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36147&forum=8&start=0&2