PDA

View Full Version : Megid is not good freaking level design.

Nai_Calus
Jun 22, 2007, 07:35 AM
See title.

Dear ST: Stop fucking relying on shitty, obnoxious crutches to make things 'difficult'. Believe it or not, you can make things challenging without shitty, fucktarded cheesey crap. I know you seem to have given up with PSU, what with the levels themselves looking bland and uninspired, but did you really have to populate those levels with shitty rehashes and fake 'difficulty' in the form of cheap-ass enemies that spit instant death? This shit wasn't good level design on PSO, where you at least did a better fucking job of it, and it's not good level design here. I know you don't want people soloing, but Jesus Fucking Christ.

Anyone knows a good way for a Wartecher to deal with consecutive waves of four Jarbas in a medium-sized room and is willing to actually explain it to me instead of just telling me I suck for not being as god-like as them, I'd love to hear it. There were ways to deal with shit like this on PSO, there've gotta be ways to deal with it here.

I'll still fucking think it's shitty level design, though, because it fucking is. Shit sucked on PSO, still sucks here, except they've decided it wasn't cheesy enough on PSO and made it even more fucking obnoxious here.

I really ought to just quit and go back to PSO. PSO never pissed me off the way PSU does. They actually vaguely cared while they were making PSO. Sure, after it was out they didn't give a fuck, but at least they bothered making a vaguely decent game to ignore. PSU they just made a shitty one and still ignored it. It's all fucking Caves 1. The entire damned game.

A2K
Jun 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
In PSU you're not hampered by that "walk for a few steps then run" or "slow down when you're close to a target" nonsense. It's much easier to simply get the hell out of the way of it than anything else. Arguably, for a hunter-type, the bigger danger from Jarba is their Dambarta, and not the Megid.

With a Wartecher, against a single creature I'd recommend some form of stunlock (Rising Strike, Shunbu Shoren-zan, Hishou Jinren-zan et al.), but considering how hectic that final room can be I'd suggest switching to ranged tactics instead. Pelt 'em with Diga or a gun from a distance. But in general, Jarba are much more easily dealt with by rangers than any other class--which rather leaves a class type that isn't all that strong in either SOL, don't it?

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
I fire my SUV and then run around until our resident Fortegunner Burns/Infects them to death.

Jarbas in general need the kind of nerf Hunters got.

amtalx
Jun 22, 2007, 09:40 AM
I find it funny when people bitch about Megid. Megid has been around for a LOOOOONG time. Not only that, but it was far more deadly in PSO. It moved about twice as fast, and unless you went out of your way to make your Dark resistance really high, call it a day. There were also more creatures that used it. At least now I can get away with just taking some damage most of the time in PSU.

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2007, 10:04 AM
The only creatures that had Megid in PSO were Ob/Del Lillies. Ill Gills had the death swing, but it wasn't actually Megid. That Merikle, Mericus and Mericarol group didn't have Megid either. In Ultimate, no one had enough HP to survive their status effect ball, which was easy to dodge if you weren't blind. There also were never 60 of those in every room. Lillies couldn't even move.

Parn
Jun 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
Actually, there are several monsters that used it. Deldepths, Gran Sorcerors, Zol Gibbons, Hildetorrs, etc.

Megid doesn't bug me in PSU. What bugs me is the fact that Jarbas and Kamatoze can use dambarta. How is it that hulking, melee type monsters are spitting out the most powerful technique in the game with deadly precision? Dambarta does a good chunk of damage, makes you flinch if you aren't frozen, and has a high chance of freezing you which leaves you vunerable to a second barrage of dambarta if you aren't dead already. Kamatoze dambarta ticks me off the most since it has a 360 degree radius.

They need to remove dambarta from them and replace it with gibarta instead. Not even Gaozoran use dambarta, and they're the all-powerful sorcerors in the game.

WrathOfMegid
Jun 22, 2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah they have a way of monsters making no sense. Remember Sinow Reds? WTF was with S&D and my much more advanced casts can't even use such a low lvl?

DurakkenX
Jun 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
hehe i want an enemy like the wolves...who jellen and zalure themselves...

i said this when PSU came out...I said this when PSO Ult came out... I said this when EP 2 and 4 came out... The have gotten progressively worse.

It's not so much that the whole dambarta and megid attack sux it's more that they use it way too much and they, as in most enemies, don't flinch a single attack from an enemy to your char no matter how weak it is as long as it does damage makes you flinch, while no amount of damage you do you most enemies makes them flinch...it's simply bad design.

A2K
Jun 22, 2007, 01:24 PM
On 2007-06-22 09:29, DurakkenX wrote:
It's not so much that the whole dambarta and megid attack sux it's more that they use it way too much and they, as in most enemies, don't flinch a single attack from an enemy to your char no matter how weak it is as long as it does damage makes you flinch, while no amount of damage you do you most enemies makes them flinch...it's simply bad design.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here. Knocking enemies around or staggering them is integral to PSU's combat. It's not really associated with damage so much as it is whether or not the attack itself has that added effect, as well. There are enemy attacks that will make you "flinch" but your character plows through anyway, and vice versa.

Shigecki
Jun 22, 2007, 02:28 PM
On 2007-06-22 05:35, Ian-KunX wrote:
Anyone knows a good way for a Wartecher to deal with consecutive waves of four Jarbas in a medium-sized room and is willing to actually explain it to me instead of just telling me I suck for not being as god-like as them, I'd love to hear it. There were ways to deal with shit like this on PSO, there've gotta be ways to deal with it here.

Unfortunately most of the higher level runs are very tough to solo with hunter type of classes. They take way to long and eat up a lot of resources. The advantage of a wartecher is the ability to use bows, albeit only level 10 arrows, but this could help out in the battle against jarbas. They don't move fast and if you keep your distance and use a gun type of weapon, it may help out. Good luck.

Nai_Calus
Jun 22, 2007, 04:28 PM
Can't get out of the way if you've managed to get caught in a Dambarta/smacked/Polavohras also with the Jarbas knocked you over. XD And I was using Diga, yar, bit of range and my strongest tech, but you can only get so far away in that room.

I dunno, the slowing down in PSO never bothered me, but that was probably because it was so easily overcome. Oddly I found it easier to dodge enemies in PSO. Of course, in PSO you never had PA animations to not be able to dodge from, and if you wanted to stun something you just did a normal-heavy combo on it, moved slightly, and did it again, and all was good. Then again, PSO never had six billion Megid/instant death spitters at once unless they were immobile(Lillies), pathetic(Gibbons) or you were doing Tower. (Which was mildly good design. HUs were fucked there but RAs and to a lesser extent FOs could solo it if they were careful.)

Amtalx: I'm aware that Megid has been around for a while. I'm even aware that Megid is entirely misnamed and bears no resemblance to the original. XP I've been playing PSO since early 2003, so by now I'm well-versed in PSO's Megid. I didn't like it then either, and still thought it was a cheap tactic, but looking back, the shit that could use it was more or less balanced. Lillies couldn't move. Most things that spat megid spat it so low that you didn't need to bring dark resist. Nor was it all that fast, unless it was like, Del Lily Megid on Ult, and that was highly conditional and required that you be in Tower in the first place in order to encounter one. Same thing for Hildetorr and Mil Lily Megid, had to have them. (Actually, Mil Megid could be *worse* than Ob Megid, amusingly.) Who brought Dark Resist to Falz? (Nobody I knew, we all brough Ice for the second form and light for the third.) Also, nothing spit it on Normal-VHard except Del Lillies, which you only found in Tower, and at lower levels their Megid was similarly nerfed. Here, stuff spits reasonably levelled Megid in fucking C-rank. I should be able to easily take a batch of enemies eight levels lower than me on C-rank, without having to run in circles, wait for them to all spit, cast a Diga I don't have much chance to aim and hope it hits, then resume circles. If your group of annoying cheap enemies to fight is harder than most bosses you can face... XP

I thought of a bow, but the room that set me off this time isn't really big enough to outrange them, and it probably wouldn't do enough damage to be worth it. XD

A2K: I think what Durakken is getting at is that player characters flinch/get knocked down based on taking damage, or even if we don't take damage but just block, but if I hit something for 90% of its HP with a normal attack, that doesn't even faze it. So if something tickles me for three damage while I'm trying to dodge Megid, I'll flinch, which will make me stop running, and that can be just long enough for a Megid to hit and kill me. Which is, indeed, exceedingly annoying.

Seems the general consensus is 'bring/be a ranger', heh.

But yeah, that shit pisses me off. (Last room of Labs C, BTW, since I didn't specify it before now.)

Parn
Jun 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
On 2007-06-22 14:28, Ian-KunX wrote:
I'm even aware that Megid is entirely misnamed
No it isn't.

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2007, 05:51 PM
I solo'd Phantasmal World 4 as my HUmar. Wasn't that bad. Granted I was level 200 (but I did it in Ultimate). It wasn't pretty and it took me a good while, but I got in done with no deaths.

Then I did it as my 200 RAcast and got it done in an hour and a half >_>

Sophia
Jun 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
nah, PSU needs more megid, much more megid and attacks that can kill you instantly without question like Mericarols spore ball etc. One hit kill attacks are what makes the game exciting, its way too easy right now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sophia on 2007-06-22 16:09 ]</font>

Tra
Jun 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
so... one room in one mission is hard for you... why does this upset you?

DikkyRay
Jun 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ever think that some people want it difficult?
Are you soloing? That might be your problem. Party of 6 takes em down easily. Plus how the hell is the game hard? You can fucking buy extra lives. How is that hard? LOL OH NOES I DIED. BETTER BITCH ABOUT IT

Dre_o
Jun 22, 2007, 07:28 PM
1) Stop complaining and deal with it. Most of life is gonna suck. No way around it.

2) PSU WAS NOT CREATED AND WILL NOT BE MODIFIED FOR SOLOING!!!! GET OVER IT AND GET SOME FRIENDS

Soukosa
Jun 22, 2007, 08:17 PM
That room's hard and you're a WT? You can use a longbow afterall. I told you before the range on one is further than the range of the Megid they use. Just stand back and shoot the damn'd things to death. It's not like they're gonna move much on C rank either. When you get polavohras, diga them to death. They should go down easily enough with that. (Though you should be using techs on them instead of melee, being that they're melee resistant >.>).

And I agree with the people that say that there's nothing wrong with megid. It livens the game up and adds another obstacle to work around when fighting them. It's not cheap since you can easily avoid if you know what you're doing and are paying attention.

PJ
Jun 22, 2007, 08:26 PM
Ever played Final Fantasy?

Yeah, THOSE instant deaths were real nice.

I have to agree with how they use Megid a lot for difficulty, but it was worse in PSO; not only did a million tiems more enemies have it, but the game was also fucking slower. PSU is fast, and has enough ways to stop enemies, to make it not a problem.

Episode 4 did a pretty good job with fun/difficulty without Megid at first... but then it became easy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

EDIT: And a lot of your post feels like, "Wow, I was good in PSO, and now am total ass in PSU." What has megid in PSU again? Jarba? Deljaban or whatever? Hmm.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-06-22 18:41 ]</font>

Sophia
Jun 22, 2007, 08:57 PM
poor guy better not play a game like Gradius etc where everything can kill you in one hit and theres tons of stuff to dodge xD
Megid is NOTHING compared to those games.

McLaughlin
Jun 22, 2007, 10:15 PM
lolDeath toll, or whatever that countdown spell was. Enemy Skill materia FTW!

watashiwa
Jun 23, 2007, 02:00 AM
On 2007-06-22 16:08, Sophia wrote:
nah, PSU needs more megid, much more megid and attacks that can kill you instantly without question like Mericarols spore ball etc. One hit kill attacks are what makes the game exciting, its way too easy right now.

You play a Fortegunner.

EDIT: I was just going to leave my post at that, but I guess I should add some stuff on.

Fortegunner is like.. the easiest class to play.. ever. It's just about PSU on easy mode by itself. There really isn't much to standing on the outer edge of a battle and firing into monsters in it, occasionally dodging something flying toward you.

Playing a melee class or a hybrid melee class is a lot harder due to the fact that you're usually close quarters and lots of different things can happen, especially while in a team.

You could be comboing or going around a monster to do a combo while a teammate is handling a monster near you when, while you thought that monster would be focused on that teammate, may decide to change target and hit you while you're focused on something else.

Or, say, you're dealing with a monster and for some reason, another teammate leads a monster off the edge of the battle zone, so then the monster teleports away and should it's reappearance area be near you, begins to swipe or cast things at you.

You can also be dealing with a group of monsters where there's a lot of casting monsters around the area, you can hope and try to group them all up and dispatch them as quickly as possible, but they could go after other teammates or just stand in their place and cast all day. (Gohmons like to do this a lot..)

I know you also play a Newman Female Fortetecher. The difference in damage taken from techs and what not is a lot different for a Newman Female Fortetecher compared to my CAST Female Fighgunner. I ran the Onmagoug S rank mission today, the one in the blue forest, forgot the name .. Well, I ran that with a friend today and the amount of damage I was taking from those quick bartas was insane. Granted, I could probably reduce the damage with a higher ice % armor, but no where near what a Newman Female Fortetecher with a nice ice armor could reduce it by.

And, Christ, I do know the pain of Kamatoze's (sp?) Dambarta .. Learned it pretty well in that mission. I tried to use my guns to shoot at it for a bit, but the damage wasn't really that great. So I'd try to go in and smack it around with my Fire Double Saber a bit while my partner was wearing it down from far away. His Dambarta comes out pretty fast and also does a shitload to me.

I'm not really complaining at all, I'm just saying. For different classes and different characters, the experience of PSU in different situations is very different.

You can be all like "OH PSU NEEDS TO BE HARDER ^^; LOL MORE MEGID LOL MORE ONE HIT THINGS ^^; GAME'S TOO EASY ^^;" but I'd probably say some stupid shit like that if I played a Fortegunner or a Force character as well.

Force characters, especially Newman with great armor, can reduce tech damage pretty significantly.. and Fortegunners shouldn't even be getting hit to begin with. That's not what they're designed for, so when I saw your video in the Guide area, I was like "What's so special about this? This is how Fortegunners are supposed to play." Not to mention it's even easier to make a video like that while soloing due to you being 100% sure the monsters are going to keep their focus on you and not switching between different party members with attacks flying in different directions instead of JUST TOWARD YOU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2007-06-23 00:18 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jun 23, 2007, 04:40 AM
Parn: I'd like to know how it isn't. True, at least it does damage now, but how the fuck does it even resemble what PS called Megid?

Tra: It upsets me because the rest of C-rank missions are mind-numbingly piss-easy, including the rest of that one mission, and it's annoying that the only reason this one room is hard is because it's filled with retarded cheese.

PJ: Somehow, I don't think FF is that comparable to PSU. XD And yes, I do suck at this game, I will openly admit it. I'm trying to suck less, but I'm clearly just not getting something, or maybe it's just not there to get and shit like this really isn't meant to be soloed unless you're hugely overpowered for where you are/have god-like reflexes. (Which I don't. I have crappy reflexes and a dying controller, heh.) PSO took like zero time to figure out, on my own, soloing, so it's like... Grr. Frustration. It pisses me off when I don't get things. And yeah, mostly Jarbas. Which are cheaper than any Megid-spitter in PSO ever was. I didn't have a problem with avoiding it in PSO. I do here. It annoys me.

Sou: Room's not big enough to get out of range for more than a second, at which point I'm back to running in circles, and Nai doesn't have the ATP to successfully use the damned things. >_>

Dikky, Dre: Yes, yes, everything must be h4rdc0r3 and utterly unfriendly to the casual gamer who can't play 20 hours a day, ladida. And yep, I am soloing. By the time I get on at night after work, even Uni 2 is usually dead. On top of that, I have dialup because you can't get broadband here and we haven't been able to find somewhere to move. Even people I know don't want to wait for me to take three minutes to load into a mission, assuming I don't get error 57 on the way. And damn straight I'm gonna bitch if something annoys me, it's the motherfuckin' rants forum! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And yes, the game isn't solo-friendly. I play it anyway, most times these days I wonder why, I'll admit. Since yes, party-oriented, means that soloing takes forever, is generally unrewarding and occasionally too much of a fucking hassle to be worth it.

I like how everyone bitching at me tells me how much I suck yet offers no suggestions on not sucking. XD Except Sou. *pets Sou*

I should just go find somewhere to DL the client for PSOBBJP and spend a day or so patching it up when I get it installed and just go back to doing that. Even if my characters have been baleeted(I cancelled my HL like two and a half years ago, if they actually bother deleting chars they're long gone now. XD) it'd probably be less frustrating. XD (It doesn't help that I hate PSU's combat system, can't stand synthing, etc. I'm not even entirely sure why I play it. >_>)

It probably doesn't help either that a L23 Wartecher rivals FOmars for sucking at everything, without PSO's combat system to actually make being capable of both casting techs and meleeing viable. XD

Parn
Jun 23, 2007, 07:55 AM
On 2007-06-23 02:40, Ian-KunX wrote:
Parn: I'd like to know how it isn't. True, at least it does damage now, but how the fuck does it even resemble what PS called Megid?
That's not what I quoted. I quoted the portion where you said that it's entirely misnamed. It's not.

Grants has always been the ultimate light technique, and Megid has always been the ultimate dark technique. It's not about what the technique specifically does, it's about what the technique represents. If we want to get into actual misnaming, Chaz has Grants in Phantasy Star 4, so why is it called Tsu in the localization? After all, Tsu is mysteriously lightning in Phantasy Star 2 and water in Phantasy Star 3... go figure!

All I ever see from people around here is screaming and hatred about how horrible Sonic Team is, and how they're supposedly so lazy, but the majority of the folks who participate really have no idea what's involved and the things development teams generally have to deal with. Don't get me wrong, as Phantasy Star Universe is far from the perfect game, but a lot of hard work was put into it despite how many folks want to claim otherwise. People tend to focus on the bad and ignore all the good.

If there is one major complaint to be made about PSU, it would be the fact that in its current state, it is an incomplete game, to which I would have to agree since the expansion pack is the remaining half of the game that we had expected from the beginning.

Neith
Jun 23, 2007, 08:13 AM
Try using a Bow against Jarbas, I find it kills them a lot faster than teching them. Also, the range of it allows you to sidestep fast enough to dodge Megid.

I find Megid pretty easy to dodge in PSU, it moves far slower than say, a Del Lilie's from PSO. Like most people here, I find a Jarba's most dangerous attack to be Dambarta (especially in Firebreak, when you're most likely wearing FIRE armour- hello 2k+ damage every 1 1/2 seconds..)

What I hate the most is that in Lab Recovery (I assume this is where you're struggling), the camera messes up a lot if you go too close to the walls. Readjusting the camera's gotten me into more trouble than Megid has..

Sophia
Jun 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
Wow sodaboy, all that text just to try to put me down? im flattered.
but.. first you should know what you are talking about.

1. If what i did in that hive video was so easy then you should at least give us a video of you doing the same thing, just so we know you arent just talking krap ok? dont chicken out like everyone else does when i ask that ;3

2. On my fortetecher i have no good armor at all(or on any char, some people dont need millions of haxeta to play this game, *cough*) and almost never die with her.

3. I also know how to melee thank you very much, i know its harder than using ranged weapons(duh), but sheesh, its not really that hard to stay alive while meleeing -_-

PJ
Jun 23, 2007, 10:08 AM
On 2007-06-23 08:04, Sophia wrote:
1. If what i did in that hive video was so easy then you should at least give us a video of you doing the same thing, just so we know you arent just talking krap ok? dont chicken out like everyone else does when i ask that ;3

I know that's probably not the case for Sodaboy, but that's a bunch of crap for everyone else; how many people do you think CAN make a video of this? Either has a good enough computer to do it (Run PSU AND a recording program), or plays on 360/PS2 with no capture device.

Mystil
Jun 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Apparently I don't know how to play fortefighter since I complained about it according to some nice-nasty asshole here. But I agree, when all monsters can do is one shot and freeze you to death, it's a bit of a crutch. Just make regular monsters hit harder or something. Though Dambarta has never been that much of a problem for me as I know its radious and it can't do shit to you when you are directly behind the caster(even Kametozes - which isn't "dambarta" they are using). but megid, you can't ALWAYS get out of the way.

Sophia
Jun 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
On 2007-06-23 08:08, PJ wrote:

On 2007-06-23 08:04, Sophia wrote:

I know that's probably not the case for Sodaboy, but that's a bunch of crap for everyone else; how many people do you think CAN make a video of this? Either has a good enough computer to do it (Run PSU AND a recording program), or plays on 360/PS2 with no capture device.

If they cant then i just ask if i can idle in the game, understand? (unless they are on xbox of course....)

omegapirate2k
Jun 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
You need to party with more guntechers and fortegunners.

DreamLocke
Jun 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
I have a WT too but I'm not as high-level as you are so maybe my opinion won't matter as much. I can't do S runs yet. But megid-spitters show up on B and A too.

Wartechers solo fine, maybe second best to GTs who know what they're doing. Our S and A rank weapons are focused more on speed and mobility than Fortefighers, who don't mind being locked into place while attacking. They have the HP. We need to move...

So...WTs take advantage of being able to stay on the move as we attack.

Buten is great because you can start it and kind of roll behind a big mob while hitting them with every part of the combo. Instead of rolling into them, roll in a semicircle around them. If I was in a tightly spaced room w/ Jarbas...hmmm...they're slow to turn so you can dodge a megid, run in close and fire buten up and strafe with it, circling around their backside, and run just out of range before they barta you.

Now they are facing away from you. If you're feeling brave, whip out that spear from behind and dus daggas ONCE and get the hell out. Rinse and repeat. Please tell me you have shifta/zodial up.

Otherwise I pull out an ice bow from long range where they don't even fire back at you. But in confined spaces, a nice % ice dagger works nicely. Two Jarbas? Make sure you put one in between you two so the one you're focused on has a chance of getting hit by the other Jarba. Make them do the work for you.

I'm Beast WT so sometimes I say fuck it and drop a zalure and nano-blast w/Vande Val. Megid? What megid?

Any way I'm not doing S-rank runs yet so what I just said might not work in S or S2.

DurakkenX
Jun 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
i just love how people aren't providing an opposing argument to the fact that megid and dambarta (and whatever that other barta spell is) is a a crutch. The thing I was talking about earlier is basic melee in almost every action game, why? because it's unfair and unrealistic to have an enemy completely ignore the fact that you hit it especially when it is swinging faster than you...If I attack a mob in most, if not all, other action oriented melee games and i hit they will flinch...A flinch means that they stop their attack and/or get pushed back. This is because if they don't there is no way for me to effectively deal with them without resorting to ranged equipment, which isn't very effective, but in most games bullets are more prevalent than health restoration. The game should run like this...
(time scale done in tenths of a second)
0.1 my attack connects
0.2 mob flinches and i start my next attack
0.3 the mob start it's next attack
0.4 my attack connects
instead it run more like this...
0.1 my attack connects
0.2 i start my next attack right before the mob's attack connects
0.3 i fall to the ground, flinch, or block stopping my next attack

It's simply a broken system. There is no point for the normal attacks nor having combos with them because you can almost never connect with a second attack due to the mobs not flinching...some do but most don't. So melee must resort to PAs which knock-up, knock-back, or whatever else which is just bad because the whole point of playing melee is to be in close proximity. Of course being in close proximity and no flinch with instant spell casting abilities on a lot mobs also means instant death in many circumstances, not because of megid, but because of barta techs.

The entire game is pretty much wired against melee combat...and the best people can offer is simply, use ranged...doesn't that defeat the point?

And for whoever said that this was never meant for solo palyers...well most the people who play psu got the game mainly because they didn't have to deal with groups if they didn't want to in PSO. Online games are supposed to reward teamwork while and challenging to solo players, but not impossible.

DreamLocke
Jun 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with you there. Normal attacks are almost useless. They should cause flinch allowing you to link a PA as a FINISHER. Instead we spam PAs. Becuase we have to in this system. Putting a flinch in would make the normal attacks an actual option in high level play. And maybe a stun effect if you hit a critical normal attack. Just those two changes would make melee not only more enjoyable, but effective.

On the solo issue...some classes are better than others at it, but one of the main reasons I chose PSU over Final Fantasy XI is soloing is more of an option here and you are not FORCED to party or wait around for hours hoping for an invite. Plus it's easier to just pick up PSU and just start playing. But it seems if the idea of harder difficulty is MORE MEGID!!!! MORE DAMBARTA!!! I see your point.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hey Ian, imagine if Special Attacks came back to even it up a bit, Hell special on a Bow?

Fux yeah.

But as it is you gotta assume waves of these fishfaced mohawk fellas state it without saying it, me going lape you (all solo hunters of PSU).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-06-23 16:21 ]</font>

amtalx
Jun 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
On 2007-06-23 00:00, watashiwa wrote:

Fortegunner is like.. the easiest class to play.. ever. It's just about PSU on easy mode by itself. There really isn't much to standing on the outer edge of a battle and firing into monsters in it, occasionally dodging something flying toward you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2007-06-23 00:18 ]</font>

You have perfectly explained how to be a bad Fortegunner. Maybe its so easy because you aren't very good at it...

Sophia
Jun 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
he needs to try out yak zagenga in one of the harder missions then come back and say its the easiest class lol.

Nai_Calus
Jun 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, if I could actually stun the damned things without resorting to fucking wire-fu theatrics that half the time get you killed and burning through 92,392 photon charges on a single damned group, there wouldn't be a problem. PSO tactics would make the fucking things a breeze. Normal-heavy, move on to the next one, keep going, isn't this fun.

I tried it again. Running circles with Diga spam works OK-ish on two of them, though I still didn't manage to dodge it all, I hate that fucking room with the two Jarbas in a small-ass room you can't leave because of laser fences. XD I died once at the end when Megid I should have been fucking out of range of smacked me in the face while I was shooting the bastard with my bow and killed me. (I didn't dodge because, well, I should have been out of range and the targetting system + my fucked up controller means I can't aim at the fuckers worth a damn from the edge of bow range unless I'm in first person.)

It still fucking annoys me, though. If I wanted to play Ranger and carry a damned bow with me everywhere, I wouldn't have become a fucking Wartecher. I would have been a FT or GT or something.

Powder Keg
Jun 25, 2007, 01:13 AM
Megid isn't too big of a deal in this. I don't like the fact that the Delsaban-whatever guys have it because they come in mobs, but it's kind of weak anyway.

Ob Lily megid was twice as bad. The only Megid in PSO that wasn't a threat was Zol Gibbon Megid. But even that was if you were wearing say...and Electro Frame. XD

SolomonGrundy
Jun 25, 2007, 03:25 AM
don't use a bow on jarba. that's a mistake. Yes bows ignore defense, but the set up time and animation is too long to sit in front of someting that can and will 1 hit kill you.

use ice cards. does the same damage and bows, and if you want to flirt with death, you can zalure multiple jarbas. Bow's damage won't improve with zalure...cards will.

Also, bring some ice armor. In that last room, there are polhavoras, and jarba. Pols are ZERO threat for someone with decent resta. but they might knock you into DUMB barta. ice armor will take enough of the sting out that you will likely survive it.

Finaly tip. when retreating for a jarba's damarta, face TOWARDS him, and back away holding the left shoulder button. if dambarta hits you, it will knock you away.

EJ
Jun 25, 2007, 10:26 PM
Ian, here is what I do with my Newman WT for that last room when I solo. First try to take out all those Polvahra, did I spell it right meh, after taking them out try to take out one Jarba at a time either try use a fan weapon or use a bow if you can. Since you said you can't get far enough try using a fan weapon since you can attack and dodge at the same time and should help you to avoid the megid.

Another thing you can use is try making or buying a high % dark armor so that you will be immune of it and laugh at them with that rainbow item to boost your element resistance by 8%. If you already thought of that and it doesn't work then you can always lvl up dambarta and spam the damn thing. XD

Zorafim
Jun 27, 2007, 01:49 AM
I remember extra mode. I used to attack using normal attacks, then finish with a PA. This let me conserve my PP, which was difficult to replenish, and it was very effective.
If I were to try that with my fF, I'd be face down before I got to the third hit.

Wyndham
Jun 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
I remember getting killed by megid constantly in Ultimate caves. SO annoying!

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
I like using megid. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Wyndham
Jun 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
On 2007-06-27 09:14, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
I like using megid. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I never got my FOmar past level 65. >_<

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
On PSU, PSO megid wasn't as fun to use. :/