PDA

View Full Version : The First ever Quote Analyisis, by Sprky585

sprky585
Jun 22, 2007, 12:20 PM
Welcome...i had this crazy idea yesterday while mowing the yard and thought to myself, "i'd better it'd be pretty funny if i took some famous quotes from history and analyzed them in a whole new way...so here goes...i'm sure this is gonna be worse than i hoped it...oh well (btw, for those who take everything seriously [even though we're in FKL] none of these comments are real, just my imagination playing in a field)

1) "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"
- This is seen in America as a sign of the willingness to fight...but what Americans may not know is that some of that quote was not actually presented to the public, the quote should actually read "Damn, the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" That one comma after damn changes the whole meaning...most people invision a burly buff guy yelling this in his deep voice...but what people should really invision is more of a Richard Simmons voice screaming like a little girl...and the boat was actually pointed AWAY from combat...so full speed ahead would actually be away from the torpedos

2) "Give me Liberty or give me Death"
- Famous quote by some guy (Adams?) in the American Revolution telling the English that he was not going to stand being under their power anymore...this quote was actually misheard and not written down write...what the speaker actually said was "Give me Lipton Tea, or give me Death" and was actually said during the Boston Tea Party, therefore completely changing the significance of the quote

3) "Luke, I am your Father"
- Taken as a literal statement by millions of Star Wars Fans, everyone believed Anakin was the biological father of Luke...and that is not true, because as we all know, Anakin is just a loving little guy and he cared about Luke and didnt want him to jump of the big tower, but his plan backfired and is kind of the main reason he jumped (on a later, unaired (for political reasons) episode of Maury, the real father turned out to be Jar Jar Binks...hows that for irony!)

4) "I have a dream"
- One of Luthers most famous speeches, changed the world forever...no one was really sure what he said after the word dream, the microphone cut out so they had some other person talk on another mike behind the stage to finish the sentence for him...many eye witnesses claimed they heard the words "cast", "team", and "machine" after the word Dream and that Luther was more or less just trying to make a statement than actually change the world

5) "Houston, we have a problem"
- Said aboard the Apollo 13 shuttle, the lead atronaut said it when their ship began to explode( i think, maybe not, thats how it was in the movie)...what the astronaut was actually trying to communicate with the station was that they forgot to unlock the bathroom and he really had to go, so he peed in a plastic bag, for fear that people would make fun of him, the astronaut put that bag in his boot, and while he was walking around, it popped and he had pee all in his boot, which we all know would suck

well, i thought it would be funny, so you guys post replies and tell me if its funny or not...if it is, i'll do more, if it's not, we can all just try to forget it ever happend...and these weren't ment to offend anyone, so please dont take these analysises purposely

Weeaboolits
Jun 22, 2007, 12:24 PM
"Damn the torpedoes" actually referred to constant misfires, duds, and overall chintzy torpedoes, not fun for those submariners at all, 'specially after all the trouble they went through trcking the target and whatnot. ;]

DikkyRay
Jun 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
i always thought it was "Man the torpedoes, full speed ahead" As if they were going into battle, so the had to get the torps ready to fire.
Guess i was wrong.
Anyhoo, i never knew the apollo 13 went boom o.o
and i lol'd at the "I have a dream-cast"

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/Image.asp?ImageID=aw070104f2

More!