PDA

View Full Version : PC troubles. >.>;

Kaydin
Jun 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
Bought a new graphics card today. ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. It's not the greatest card out, but I didn't want to spent a lot, plus my PC is pretty out dated so I wanted to make sure to get something she can handle. (AGP, by the way.)

I go home, stick it in. Install the drivers, etc.
Open PSU, set it to medium settings. Runs sluggish.
Reopen PSU, set it to low settings. Run sluggish.
Reopen PSU, set it to the lowest settings possible (what I was running on before with my old card), still sluggish. My old card ran pretty good on these settings.

So I figure I should install the new drivers. I do so. Restart her.
Windows loads up. Goes freaking hay-wire. Screen kept going black and coming back, resolution kept changing, and finally she just died and went black.

So now I'm pissed off. Stuck my old card back in, reloaded the drivers. Works fine now, just like she used to.

It's no use trying to update this PC. I keep trying to fix her up to keep her running smooth, but I think it's finally time to build a new one and turn her into a Linux box.
Ubuntu ftw.

DikkyRay
Jun 23, 2007, 11:08 PM
I would say contact someone and have them do it for you >.>
I dont trust myself enough to fix my PC myself

VanHalen
Jun 23, 2007, 11:21 PM
Well I can suggest this Japanese program that someone posted on here to help with slowdowns. You'll have to follow all the instructions from the link for it to work. It may work better for your PC.

On mine I can do FB missions, go through spam, and other slow down areas just like if I was walking around on Moatoob http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif . Only had one problem which I hope never happens again. I sat down in the colony and Sano was paralyzed to the floor http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif . Then all the people who just joined PSU started dancing around me and laughing at me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif .

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=145379&forum=20&start=0

Some liked it, some didn't. It worked for me until I got paralyzed and d/ced 30 mins after. I might try it again.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Jun 23, 2007, 11:30 PM
My graphics card messed up PSO:BB since I was using a ATI card with a NVidia motherboard or something like that and didn't know anything about it.

The water effects in Episode 2 turned into orange kool aid.

I got help in tech support and had to flash my motherboard/update it so it could handle a graphics card from another company.

I've seen someone do that before Van, but it was just a guy hitting SCRN SHOT button over and over and didn't move from the floor heh.

VanHalen
Jun 23, 2007, 11:49 PM
Really? Well I did press the print screen button a couple of times. I wonder if that caused me to disconnect also.

Kaydin
Jun 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
On 2007-06-23 21:08, DikkyRay wrote:
I would say contact someone and have them do it for you. >.>I built this PC myself. (Ok, Dad helped.)
This PC is my baby. Having someone else work on her is out of the question. xD

On 2007-06-23 21:21, VanHalen wrote:
Well I can suggest this Japanese program...I don't trust 3rd party programs. o_x;
Thanks though.

Blitzkommando
Jun 24, 2007, 12:50 AM
The X1300 Pro is essentially a reworked X300 Pro, it's a very low end card and your results were to be exected. The 7300 GT is in the same price class but is a far better choice of card. And, actually, online the X1650 Pro and 7600 GS are both cheaper than the cheapest X1300 Pro and 7300 GT respectively and are far more powerful. Try returning it for this X1650Pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102057). It's $60 after rebate and will give far and above performance from an X1300 Pro and cost a lot less.

Kaydin
Jun 24, 2007, 01:01 AM
I was gunna buy from Newegg (I love Newegg, I buy just about everything there. ;D), but I didn't want to have to ship it and wait a few days. Shoulda checked prices first, dunno what I was thinking.

Fry's disappoints again. It'll be a long while before I buy anything from them again.

Tykwa
Jun 24, 2007, 01:33 AM
I have an ubunto (acually kubunto) I built this myself aslwell (dad payed) lolz but I don't have this card, acually I don't have a card at all just the onboard CPU and it runs smooth on DOOM3 on medium settings (idk why) ubunto is a little weird, you should check if it supports this card.

Blitzkommando
Jun 24, 2007, 03:17 AM
ATI drivers for Linux are rather spotty at best. If running Ubuntu (or any other distrobution of Linux for that matter) is important you may consider looking towards an nVidia solution. You'll want the newest version of Ubuntu (7.04) as it is easier to install the drivers than the previous builds, although still requires a bit of work in the Terminal (a lot if you want Beryl). openSUSE is easier to work with in that respect as all it requires is simply adding nvidia as a source to download updates and it doesn't require shutting down the X Server to do so either. SUSE and Linspire (openSUSE and Freespire being the free versions of each respectively) are getting increased support from Microsoft if that is of any importance. Another reason for preference of nvidia is their affinity towards OpenGL rendering which is what both MacOS and all distrobutions of Linux use.