PDA

View Full Version : A question to the general PSU population

XanGabriel
Jun 27, 2007, 10:20 PM
First off, let me ask if the problem is this bad on X360...

Don't get me wrong, most foreign cultures are interesting in their own way. Unique. "Cool", shall we say. Primarily because of the fact they are apart from our own, and anything new or different is exciting. Which makes me ask: How is the japanese culture THAT incredibly amazing as everyone on the game makes it up to be? Granted, yes, I used to study Japanese, and took it as relatively .. ehm.. "festive", shall we dare to say? But over all, there are plenty of other cultures that are far more intriguing in their own way... I myself prefer to take up studying the Scandanavian way of life, the language, the music, and everything..

This is merely an opinion (more or less), but at the same time, a question to everyone who plays... What is it to you that make Japanese so incredibly.. fascinating? It has almost grown old the way EVERYONE seems to go apewad over it. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XanGabriel on 2007-06-27 20:22 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Jun 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
Meh, every culture has a unique appeal, its just the group your looking at happens to like Japans (lol anime) appeal.

Eh, I've never really been that interested in it, the only reason I'd want to learn Japanese would be to get a heads up over the next guy in my future career as a game developer.

PALRAPPYS
Jun 27, 2007, 10:29 PM
On 2007-06-27 20:25, omegapirate2k wrote:
Meh, every culture has a unique appeal, its just the group your looking at happens to like Japans (lol anime) appeal.

Eh, I've never really been that interested in it, the only reason I'd want to learn Japanese would be to get a heads up over the next guy in my future career as a game developer.

Agreed with Omega.

Plus, keep in mind we're playing a Japanese game, not a game focused around another culture.

Realmz
Jun 27, 2007, 10:35 PM
i mostly just think that any symbol language looks cool. That and really really fast trains. But i wouldn't say i'm a wappanese or nuthin' if something looks cool to me i'll tend to like it =p

PS. Germany is awesome, everyone should go learn german because i said so...>.>;;

BloodDragoon
Jun 27, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'd say overall efficiency in a game. Living in the US it seems efficiency in general is a concept most Americans don't understand. And we seem to do a better job of hiding our noobs from players around the world... >.>

Some people take a large interest in Japan's history and culture. Some are just obsessed with Samurai and Ninjas...

Anything else you can pretty much blame on anime, manga, tech shows, and magazines like Import Tuner...

Retehi
Jun 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
A large number of people on PSU are just pocky eating wapanese, with no real interest in anything except robots, and bug eyed girls.

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 27, 2007, 10:39 PM
My favorite games come from Japan and I've been playing games for longer than I can remember. I guess Japanophilia in me was simply inevitable.

I don't think being a real-life Wapanese had anything to do with it. (part Japanese, seriously. I love making the otaku jealous of something beyond my control. XD)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-06-27 20:41 ]</font>

pionear
Jun 27, 2007, 10:44 PM
I really don't know what your angle is in your post, but bottom line is many cultures, races and countries have unique and neat stuff about them; While at the same time many cultures, races and countries have things about them not so desirable.

Do you like HipHop? Well, thank Blacks for that.
Do you like Pizza and Lamborghini's? Well, thank Italians for that.
Do you like Movies? Well, thank the Jewish for that.
Do you like Oil/Gasoline? Well, thank the Middle Easterns/Muslims for that.
Do you like Anime/Video Games/Ninja's? Well, thank the Japanese for that.

And there are plenty more than that. And that what makes this world so special; we have different groups of people contributing neat stuff for everyone to share!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pionear on 2007-06-27 20:45 ]</font>

KiteWolfwood
Jun 27, 2007, 10:49 PM
Have you heard of something called Anime? Also video games? Yeah most these things came from Japan. These 2 things just happen to be extremely popular. With all popular things the point of origin also becomes a focal point.

Sychosis
Jun 27, 2007, 10:56 PM
Just so we're clear, video games orginated in America.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-06-27 20:57 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
And to add to that, many great games have come from America. Many unique games too, I think. (Has anyone ever seen a game quite like X-Com or Star Control come from Japan?)

Kion
Jun 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
To put it bluntly; it's japan's turn in the sun. American culture was a world wide influence in after world war two, England sometime before that. France was considdered high culture doing the reign of louie XIV, China was during the ming dianasty, and why? because they pwned. At those times the countries were the wealthiest and had the most technical advancement with the means of outsourcing their culture.

Currently tv tokyo is the number one watched network in the world. Japanese video games, electronics and technology are the most cool and inovative. Toyota is the number one selling car company in the world. And the list could go on. With all of this stuff coming frorm japan, you don't think people wouldn't become interested in the culture?

Niered
Jun 27, 2007, 11:08 PM
On 2007-06-27 20:38, Retehi wrote:
A large number of people on PSU are just pocky eating wapanese, with no real interest in anything except robots, and bug eyed girls.

QFT.

Dont get me wrong, I love cowboy bebop as much as the next geek. But when all you do is go on and on and on and on about how much more superior the japanese culture is, your really sounding more like a weeaboo than anything else.

Me personally, I'm a nordic buff. Doesnt mean I go about drinking goat milk and sing praises to odin and his valkyries, thatd just be wierd.

pionear
Jun 27, 2007, 11:08 PM
And to add to that, many great games have come from America. Many unique games too, I think. (Has anyone ever seen a game quite like X-Com or Star Control come from Japan?)

^No, because I've never even heard of those games...

And Cars and TV's was invented here as well; but Japan make cool innovations to them that made them the no. one seller of those products.

And for the record, I like Japanese culture/products. My first Luxury car was an older Lexus (Toyota), My favorite games are usually made by Japanese companies (Sega, Konami, Capcom, etc.), Giant Robots are cool (Transformers and Macross FTW) and I believe Ninja's are cooler than Pirates and Vampires!!!

But the other stuff (Loli's, Wacky Anime Shows, some of their game shows) I can do without.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pionear on 2007-06-27 21:10 ]</font>

Reipard
Jun 27, 2007, 11:21 PM
^No, because I've never even heard of those games...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

GO PLAY X-COM NAO

Edit: And IIRC Transformers are an America thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2007-06-27 21:21 ]</font>

Anduril
Jun 27, 2007, 11:25 PM
On 2007-06-27 21:21, Reipard wrote:

Edit: And IIRC Transformers are an America thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

No, I'm pretty sure they are Japanese, first made by the Takara Company, then licensed by Hasbro. The only one I"m positive that was first American was Beast Wars.

KiteWolfwood
Jun 27, 2007, 11:31 PM
On 2007-06-27 20:56, Sychosis wrote:
Just so we're clear, video games orginated in America.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-06-27 20:57 ]</font>

Yes I am aware of that. But I guess I didn't make myself clear. Are little kids all going out to buy their new Atari Video Game consoles? Nintendo and Sony. Look how long they have stayed strong in the video game market and look where they originated from.

I tire with this topic. Have fun.

Sekani
Jun 27, 2007, 11:40 PM
Beast Wars was actually Canadian, as much as I hate to admit it.

As to the original question, I blame anime nerds. It just so happens that anime nerds like videogames too.

Deja
Jun 27, 2007, 11:44 PM
Japanese stuff is good in small doses. Take too much, and you become jaded. Me? I've only seen and liked one anime, Cowboy Bebop. I haven't seen it in years though, don't even remember half the characters, but I remember liking it.

Some people take the Japanese anime express too far. Please, jump off the train and end our misery.

Anduril
Jun 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
On 2007-06-27 21:40, Sekani wrote:

As to the original question, I blame anime nerds. It just so happens that anime nerds like videogames too.

Well at least I was in the right continent, this time. But I don't think it's so much the anime nerds as the Western gaming companies for not making more quality games that appeal to people, all you tend to see is a bunch of shooters from these companies with a loose story to justify the mass killing. But then again PSU does suffer from a similar story flaw. We need games with a deeper mythos that will appeal to those who enjoy a good story with their game.

Jife_Jifremok
Jun 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
On 2007-06-27 21:46, Anduril wrote:

On 2007-06-27 21:40, Sekani wrote:

Well at least I was in the right continent, this time. But I don't think it's so much the anime nerds as the Western gaming companies for not making more quality games that appeal to people, all you tend to see is a bunch of shooters from these companies with a loose story to justify the mass killing. But then again PSU does suffer from a similar story flaw. We need games with a deeper mythos that will appeal to those who enjoy a good story with their game.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese are just as guilty of churning out shitty clones. It's just that the good Japanese games tend to be more noticable. That is, unless all you play is them shitty American games. <_<

BloodDragoon
Jun 27, 2007, 11:58 PM
I seen a T-Shirt somewhere that was a bit humorous. Said something like:

In Japan they had giant mecha riding pre-teens in sailor outfits wielding doomglaives. In America they had a mouse and bunny.

Part of Japan's culture was build on innovation.

Though Japan has been the producer of a majority of the worlds wierd stuff since like 1963... >.>

DurakkenX
Jun 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
pizza originated in china >.>

ljkkjlcm9
Jun 28, 2007, 12:30 AM
this is how japan works... everyone ready?

Someone else invents it, they make it better, a lot better. That's why japan won't be #1. That's why America is #1. Most inventions nowadays come from here. And even if the person wasn't from America, they come here to get the credit and money.

I like japanese culture because it's a lot less self centered then ours in America. They work on group think, we work on individual thinking.

THE JACKEL

Tita
Jun 28, 2007, 01:40 AM
i find iceland far more fascinating than japan. they're the perfect mix of stubborn individualism, progressive thinking, and communal effectiveness.

modern japan is built on western hand me downs because the US pretty much cock blocked their independent development with one giant kaboom. modern china is also built on western hand me downs, except they're using it to thier advantage to have the US by the nutters.

japan is pretty much this abused child suffering from serious trauma, went absolutely mad, and started dressing like this (http://static.twoday.net/jupe/images/harajuku_girls.jpg).

because what else is there to do when you got your ass horribly handed to you except do your best to impress the world to your favor with robots and giant puppy eyes? "daddy, please like me"

but that's life for ya. we have all these wonderful and interesting things sprouting out of japan, so who's to say if it's bad or good or cheesy or anything? i can't really stomach ridiculous cutesyness anymore than the next person, but i also can't eat the same plate of beans and tortillas every damn day (i'm mexican... and that's my staple diet).

and to be quite honest, the farther away PSU moves from the anime tropes that haunt it, the better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tita on 2007-06-27 23:42 ]</font>

Maverynthia
Jun 28, 2007, 05:03 AM
I just like Japans ability to market the hell out of something. Like for anime and games, they'll have cards and food and toys that just don't happen over here all that much. They also have innovative things like arcade games that use collectible cards and vending machines that give out manga. Which is another thing, their gachapon toys are far better than anything WE ever have.

So, that's why I really like it, not only that the animated stuff they produce is varied and usually has some form of plot that comes to a conclusion. Unlike the stuff on TV over here which is either the stuff form there, or some badly animated tripe.

However I am interested in some animations coming out of India, China, France and Singapore. However we rarely ever get to see them because no one dubs them.

Edit: As for Transformers, it comes from the Takara Microman Microchange line, Microman (Micronauts) was starting to die in America and Hasbro took the Microchange line and made it into Transformers. Which is why you have Megatron as a Luger and Soundwave as a boombox.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maverynthia on 2007-06-28 03:11 ]</font>

Jinto117
Jun 28, 2007, 05:17 AM

lmao! I feel ya.

On 2007-06-27 22:30, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

Someone else invents it, they make it better, a lot better. That's why japan won't be #1. That's why America is #1. Most inventions nowadays come from here. And even if the person wasn't from America, they come here to get the credit and money.

I like japanese culture because it's a lot less self centered then ours in America. They work on group think, we work on individual thinking.

THE JACKEL

I agree. I believe they work on a "group think basis" because for the most part they are all one race. Here in America cultures clash non-stop, which is why America is more on a "individual think basis".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinto117 on 2007-06-28 03:27 ]</font>

Sylpheed
Jun 28, 2007, 07:34 AM
On 2007-06-28 03:03, Maverynthia wrote:
Which is why you have Megatron as a Luger and Soundwave as a boombox.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maverynthia on 2007-06-28 03:11 ]</font>

Soundwave = Best transformer ever.

XanGabriel
Jun 28, 2007, 07:47 AM
Ok... Here we go.. Thank you 8 hours of work...

On 2007-06-27 20:35, Realmz wrote:
i mostly just think that any symbol language looks cool. That and really really fast trains. But i wouldn't say i'm a wappanese or nuthin' if something looks cool to me i'll tend to like it =p

PS. Germany is awesome, everyone should go learn german because i said so...>.>;;

"Symbol language"? *shrugs. Fast trains? Also found in various European countries. German is too basic, sorry pal. English is germanic. I've had my dose. Finnish and Gaelic are next on my to-do list. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

NEXT!

Don't get me wrong, I like pocky too, but I'm not going to go around explaining how much I love a country because of a candy I eat. Good candy comes from Bosnia too. Should I go around exclaiming "I LOVE BOSNIA!!"?! No wai in hell. Completely agreed, Retehi.

NEXT!!

On 2007-06-27 20:49, KiteWolfwood wrote:
Have you heard of something called Anime? Also video games? Yeah most these things came from Japan. These 2 things just happen to be extremely popular. With all popular things the point of origin also becomes a focal point.

Anime. That's the only big thing there. Video games come from plenty of other countries. Music. Awesome music. From everywhere. Lots of good European music. (If you haven't caught on yet, I'm a northern Europe-buff, we'll get more to that later. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif). Why aren't they as much of a focal point? Hmm...

NEXT!!!

On 2007-06-27 21:08, Niered wrote:

QFT.

Dont get me wrong, I love cowboy bebop as much as the next geek. But when all you do is go on and on and on and on about how much more superior the japanese culture is, your really sounding more like a weeaboo than anything else.

Me personally, I'm a nordic buff. Doesnt mean I go about drinking goat milk and sing praises to odin and his valkyries, thatd just be wierd.

Actually... Cowboy Bebop was one of my favorites too. Next to NG:E... And that's about it. I'll still watch something Anime and probably like it. I'm not going to go GURU over it. *shrugs.
SCANDANAVIA FTW! *highfives Niered.

NEXT!!!!

On 2007-06-27 21:44, Deja wrote:
Japanese stuff is good in small doses. Take too much, and you become jaded. Me? I've only seen and liked one anime, Cowboy Bebop. I haven't seen it in years though, don't even remember half the characters, but I remember liking it.

Some people take the Japanese anime express too far. Please, jump off the train and end our misery.

LoL again @ Cowboy Bebop.
That train is pretty fast guys. Don't worry about a slow trip as you glide away. It'll only hurt for a second.

NEXT!!!!!

On 2007-06-27 22:15, DurakkenX wrote:
pizza originated in china >.>

Ok this one I'm going to have to agree with. Pizza, back in the watcha-ma-call-it dynasty era, was created by using [I forget what kinda] sauce on bread, and goat meat from their herd. >_> One of the only things I retained from my 6th grade history class.

NEXT!!!!!!

On 2007-06-27 22:30, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

I don't like self-centered America... >_> That's all I'm going to say, or I will grow ATROCIOUSLY off topic.

NEXT!!!!!!!

On 2007-06-27 23:40, Tita wrote:
i find iceland far more fascinating than japan. they're the perfect mix of stubborn individualism, progressive thinking, and communal effectiveness.

modern japan is built on western hand me downs because the US pretty much cock blocked their independent development with one giant kaboom. modern china is also built on western hand me downs, except they're using it to thier advantage to have the US by the nutters.

japan is pretty much this abused child suffering from serious trauma, went absolutely mad, and started dressing like this (http://static.twoday.net/jupe/images/harajuku_girls.jpg).

because what else is there to do when you got your ass horribly handed to you except do your best to impress the world to your favor with robots and giant puppy eyes? "daddy, please like me"

but that's life for ya. we have all these wonderful and interesting things sprouting out of japan, so who's to say if it's bad or good or cheesy or anything? i can't really stomach ridiculous cutesyness anymore than the next person, but i also can't eat the same plate of beans and tortillas every damn day (i'm mexican... and that's my staple diet).

and to be quite honest, the farther away PSU moves from the anime tropes that haunt it, the better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tita on 2007-06-27 23:42 ]</font>

I concur. Wholly. With everything. Save for the part that would say I'm mexican, b/c I'm not. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
And LoL@Harajuku. That's gotta be some MAJOR trauma. Kinda kinky though >>;;;

Wow... I'm surprised it let me put all of this in one post...

Dirkster111
Jun 28, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Japan brought us MXC.

AC9breaker
Jun 28, 2007, 08:22 AM
I personally find the JP culture to be rather freaky and wierd. From what I've seen and learned from regular web surfing, I mean I really hope shit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrO0am5j54&NR=1) isn't as big as they make it seem to be.

bloodflowers
Jun 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
It's more interesting because it's more different.

Reipard
Jun 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
Then I recalled wrong about Transformers, looking it up. Although they weren't really 'defined' until Hasbro bought Diaclone and whatnot. Most all of the backstory and characters were created by American writers. As was the Marvel comics and first cartoon.

I am told Japan is actually more conservative than most people think. It's not necessarily a freakish ANYTHING GOES culture. They have standards on what is and isn't appropriate just like we do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2007-06-28 06:51 ]</font>

Neith
Jun 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
It's the whole 'Japan brought us anime so its must be cooler than everywhere else' syndrome.

Wapanese, Japanophiles, whatever. Liking a country is no big deal, but its when you get people trying to be Japanese it gets too far/amusing.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sekani
Jun 28, 2007, 08:54 AM
http://www.gaijinsmash.net

akratic
Jun 28, 2007, 09:37 AM
I applaud your insular community and its completely out-of-whack perceptions of popular culture.

RegulusHikari
Jun 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
On 2007-06-28 05:34, Sylpheed wrote:

Soundwave = Best transformer ever.

I always liked Soundwave just because of his badass voice. XD

The only thing I have to say to this topic is people enjoy different cultures for entirely different reasons. OP, you seem to enjoy learning about the culture of the people you study and the people themselves. Most people who seem to appreciate the Japanese "culture", appreciate it from what comes from the corporate business world of Japan, not the traditional culture that seems to be overlooked.

Sure some of it is different in the eyes of someone who has lived the American "culture" (which isn't really a culture but I won't get into that). But to call it sick or twisted I think is just an insult to that particular group of people. To assume that everybody lives that way offends even myself because I've dealt with that same damned bigotry and stereotypes throughout my life.

This whole topic is just skewed with biased opinions and "this culture is better than that one" complexes that really just irritate me to no end.

ulyoth
Jun 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
Japan has the best gaming culture, Arcades still alive, games are seen differently over there, this is gaming website, people on PSU are playing a game. Thats why i like japan, i like games, i want my games now so anything not text heavy on the DS i import. Along with games like Ouendan 1 & 2, does this make me such a bad person?

Apone
Jun 28, 2007, 10:53 AM
Actually the large eyes originated from early 20th century american animation such as Betty Boop. The large eyes of these characters influenced Japenese artists. Also large saucer eyes more or less represent virtue and good type characters while more slitty eyes are more sinister and regarded as such in manga. Its the reason X men comics dont do to well there because of the way the eyes are.
Also AC9breaker that video was pretty darn disturbing I may never be the same again o_O

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well, here comes the post from the guy who spent a month in Japan and is now back in America.
First, video games. Yeah, Americans may have made them first, but some people [most notably, me] seem to have a preference of Japanese games over American games. I went to a Japanese video game store and I felt that the selection of the Japanese store was far better than the selection in American stores. Its a personal taste thing, but Japan had more RPGs, fighting games, hack and slash, and music games while America seemed to have more sports and [first person, ugh] shooter games. To tell you, I much prefer the former over sports and gun games, but its just me. Japan had some of the latter too, but American games seem to be more prominent in them.

Second, I really don't care too much for giant robots or girls w/ eyes that make up 1/2 of their face, nor do I watch too much anime that feature these things. Well, Evangelion, Gundam, Getter Robo, GaoGaiGar, etc aren't so bad, but yeah. Neither are animes that do have big-eyed girls, but in the end, I don't care much for those, I care more for the storylines and such.

Third, to ulyoth, yeah, arcades definitely are alive, I mean, yeah. I went to Namco Wonder Tower which was in Kawaramachi in Kyoto [Downtwon Kyoto if you will], and I have to say that it was quite lively, and as I said before, Japan does have [at least in my opinion] a better gaming culture.

To R-something Hikaru [I don't feel like writing your name out], I agree that some people are more into the corporate stuff of Japan and not the cultural stuff. Me, personally, I like some of the stuff of the corporate Japan, but I'm really into the traditional cultural stuff too, like the samurai culture, the history, the religions, the food [not just pocky], the lifestyles, festivals, and I just loved visiting all of the shrines, temples, and castles that I visited in Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. I also saw some stuff in Tokyo, but in the end, Tokyo was for the most part was a huge shopping center, and maybe a few neighborhoods and maybe a couple shirnes, temples, and castles. But for the most part, it was metropolitan and all that. '

I was in Kyoto for a month, and I never felt homesick, in fact, I felt more at home in Kyoto than I ever did here in Miami. In Kyoto, people really didn't seem to mind me being here, and fact, some people even were interested in me and started conversations [in Japanese, which I spoke pretty well]. Even in Hiroshima, I wasn't so rejected or whatever. Tokyo, some people did give me some wierd looks, and others were pretty rude, but there were still those who were accepting of me and some who were willing to help me find out where to go to find certain things. So yeah, I'm planning on a one-year stay over there and I'll try to continuously give you guys some feedback if I'm able to get there. But for the most part, I personally am a person who likes the Japanese culture, and for far deeper reasons than giant robots and girls with big eyes. Hell, in PSU, I don't even have a CAST character, and my one female is pretty narrow-eyed.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
Japan has gave us Anime. For that alone, I hold their flag in as high regard as the United States flag.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-06-28 20:12 ]</font>

WolfBlade
Jun 29, 2007, 02:30 AM
Well to me (or maybe most of the pips here) all the thing I like are from Japan, mosty anime, I like their games better, like there cars,and I love Sony.

RuPiKa
Jun 29, 2007, 03:08 AM
Having grow-up as a child in Japan. I had the culture-shock of coming back to America. Most of us have no Idea how abrassive our culture can be to other cultures. Also, to base a country's culture on what you see in nitch exported media. Think about it, I the only thing you knew about our country was movies, music and comics. Then assumed it to be the bulk of our culture. It doesn't even begin to make a complete picture of American life.

BooChan
Jun 29, 2007, 06:13 AM
I lived in Japan for about 5 years. Actually my first 5 years of existence. I was born there. I then lived in Hong Kong for 15 years. Now I've been in sunny California for the last 10 years. I still got family in Japan and visit every 2 years.
Me personally I like american culture. Better diversity,more ideas, and a more cultural experience. Sure this comes with alot of BS( racism,sexism,BSism,ect). At least its lively and not boring. Speaking your mind in Japan is considered rude in a formal setting. The Japanese also tend to be a bit ignorant concerning other cultuers other than their own. Anime is getting kinda redundant because japanese story telling is very corporate. Japan is a nice country but the people have a bit of an identity crisis. America neutered a once proud culture that replaced its old values with rampant commercialism. Just my 2 cents.