PDA

View Full Version : Foran Falls(I felt cheated)

Saligun
Jul 1, 2007, 02:34 PM
Everything i have see or read said foran falls was a amazing place to see and a sight to behold,but after my 1st trip to the place which was a huge effort for me to reach,i was very dissapointed when i got there the area is small the only thing that was different was it had chairs and tables also umbrellas and a non interactive drink dispenser.You would think the last safe area would be the most rewarding to reach.This sure wasn't.The HOT SPRINGS is also a small final area but what it lacks in size it make up for in a refreshing spring to sit in,with great steam effects,and on moatoob the oasis is also small area but its pool and small sandy senery makes it a nice cozy area to relax in.What parum lacks is a pool or pond swimming area,had foran falls had one it would have made it worth the trip.So what do you think about foran falls and the trip to get there is or was it worth it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saligun on 2007-07-01 12:36 ]</font>

Dre_o
Jul 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
On 2007-07-01 12:37, V wrote:
its sad that it took you a huge effort to get there.

Go troll somewhere else.

Anyways, I find PSUs scenery to be awesome. Yes, you can't go swimming or anything but just look at it! It's really nice!

Dahilia
Jul 1, 2007, 02:44 PM
I guess some people don't think that wonderful view is worth the trip. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I sure do!

DEM_CIG
Jul 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
Its one of the best spots in all of psu when ever i go there i usually find one or 2 other parties... i hate spammm...

Davot
Jul 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
its a peacefull place becuse people dont usally go and spam there.very calming and beautiful site!

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 03:10 PM
On 2007-07-01 12:39, Dre_o wrote:

Go troll somewhere else.

Anyways, I find PSUs scenery to be awesome. Yes, you can't go swimming or anything but just look at it! It's really nice!

You are joking right? Sonic Team did a horrible job with the scenory with PSU. in AoI the scenory will be awsome but if there was no AoI, i would say that PSU was a complete failure. That the only reason am playing now is because i want to be ready for AoI. ST just spent all their time trying to make the game balanced and equal for all playing styles but didnt care really that much about the appearance of the game. PSU alone, without AoI is one of the worst games i ever played. *thats why onlly like 2000 people play lol

Lonzell
Jul 1, 2007, 03:15 PM
On 2007-07-01 13:10, Shou wrote:

Go troll somewhere else.

You are joking right? Sonic Team did a horrible job with the scenory with PSU. in AoI the scenory will be awsome but if there was no AoI, i would say that PSU was a complete failure. That the only reason am playing now is because i want to be ready for AoI. ST just spent all their time trying to make the game balanced and equal for all playing styles but didnt care really that much about the appearance of the game. PSU alone, without AoI is one of the worst games i ever played. *thats why onlly like 2000 people play lol

Sega says: "Hahaha, we still have your money and monthly fees."

Serephim
Jul 1, 2007, 03:24 PM

Go troll somewhere else.

Oh shut the fuck up. Saying PSU sucked just because you like PSO better is just retarded. The Areas that ARE supposed to be for looks (like the waterfalls and such) are amazingly done, even on PSO standards, and to think otherwise is just being blind.

PSO fails to PSU in so many areas that im not even going to list them again.

PALRAPPYS
Jul 1, 2007, 03:25 PM
I enjoy PSU's scenery actually. Just take a little bit to look around. It's acutally probably more detailed than you think! Yes, I know the scenery isn't top-notch, but it's still pretty.

*waits for trolls*

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 1, 2007, 03:27 PM
They need little mini games in each goal lobbies. That'll make you be willing to reach the place.

For instance, having a Ball to kick around at the oasis springs, or a rubber ducky floating in the hot springs that you can push around. anything interactive at these locations would up the visitor's list.

Saligun
Jul 1, 2007, 04:07 PM
It's easier to just go to west holtes and sit at the refreshment stand,then have to fight your way through 5 missons to sit at the same table and chairs and umbrellas,at least when you fight your way to the hot springs or oasis your rewarded with a nice pool to enjoy,which makes a few table and chairs and umbrellas seem like a big dissapointment after a long fight to get there...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saligun on 2007-07-01 14:09 ]</font>

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
On 2007-07-01 13:24, Serephim wrote:

Go troll somewhere else.

Oh shut the fuck up. Saying PSU sucked just because you like PSO better is just retarded. The Areas that ARE supposed to be for looks (like the waterfalls and such) are amazingly done, even on PSO standards, and to think otherwise is just being blind.

lol my post was not a flame or a rant and did i say anything about PSO? ..... i didn't think so.. and PSU without AoI is pretty pathetic FYI http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shou on 2007-07-01 14:12 ]</font>

Lonzell
Jul 1, 2007, 04:15 PM
On 2007-07-01 14:11, Shou wrote:

On 2007-07-01 13:24, Serephim wrote:

Go troll somewhere else.

lol my post was not a flame or a rant and did i say anything about PSO? ..... i didn't think so.. and PSU without AoI is pretty pathetic FYI http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Obviously not pathetic enough if you still payin' for it lol

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
On 2007-07-01 13:27, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
They need little mini games in each goal lobbies.

or a rubber ducky floating in the hot springs that you can push around.

lol Rubber Ducky FTW!
sry double post ><

-Ryuki-
Jul 1, 2007, 04:25 PM
I like the waterfalls. What's wrong with the waterfalls?
There's a spot in the waterfalls that's very tranquil, and plus, the lobby itself is huge.

Saligun
Jul 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
You know if you could cliff dive into the water below ,that would be even cooler then the other water areas,it would sure beat tables and chairs to sit on.

XanGabriel
Jul 1, 2007, 05:03 PM
On 2007-07-01 12:44, Dahilia wrote:
I guess some people don't think that wonderful view is worth the trip. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I sure do!

I guess some people also expect far too much, far too often... They can't be content with a view, they have to be able to do something. This is where you people will fall. You always want something more. 87.6% of you need to learn true contentment.

Sekani
Jul 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
Of course, never mind that Foran Waterfall has one of the most beautiful views in the game (the other being the ice lobby on Moatoob), the whole area fails because it has no swimming pool?!

Sometimes I wonder about people.

Also, QFT Serephim.

Lonzell
Jul 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
Wtf do you need mini games for? Go back into the missions and if you are waiting for so long to get picked up by another team, either create your own team of players, or get a gameboy or somethign.

Jakosifer
Jul 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
<_____< The falls are my favorite place on here.

Mayu
Jul 1, 2007, 05:12 PM
<.< How could you not like it -_-

<3 it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anduril
Jul 1, 2007, 05:13 PM
I love the falls, though I never see anyone else there while I am. It's a nice place to relax, especially after the De Ragnus.

XanGabriel
Jul 1, 2007, 05:22 PM
*hugs and cheers to those who love the falls http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Falls and Ice Cont (Mot) are my favorite places!! Stunning view! Amazingly done! Ample space! It honestly blows me away to think someone can't like those lobbies.

VanHalen
Jul 1, 2007, 05:28 PM
I just had an event there. I wouldn't of picked that place if it wasnt beautiful. It's one of the greatest lobbies in PSU.

Ryno
Jul 1, 2007, 05:31 PM

I SURE DO AS WELL! also!

It makes me want to do Yoga and Tai'chi.. That is why I also Love that place.

and

(a painting i'm still doing after 3 months) LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-07-01 15:33 ]</font>

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 05:51 PM

Go troll somewhere else.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Obviously not pathetic enough if you still payin' for it lol

[/quote]

Again you did not read my post lol. i said i was playing to prepare for AoI. OMG my post turned into *OMFG this game sux PSO was better, ST sux* when it really wasnt. I think you just want so start some bickering dont you ? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif *pokes you* Ha? Ha?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/shouPSOW/lol.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shou on 2007-07-01 16:09 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Jul 1, 2007, 06:19 PM
So, this doesn't look awesome to you?
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/Kugatsuki/Newer%20Stuff/Foran.jpg

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 06:23 PM
nahh it could have been done much better. i think the best looking place in PSU period and hands down is the ice infested Grove or Fanatics http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ryno
Jul 1, 2007, 06:27 PM
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/x_RYNO_x/pat1.jpg

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/x_RYNO_x/pat13.jpg

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/x_RYNO_x/lithra12.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/x_RYNO_x/project1.jpg

This def brings back memories as well too!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryno on 2007-07-01 16:29 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Jul 1, 2007, 06:27 PM
We were referring to lobbies, I thought.

gundam0079
Jul 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
forna is the best place to relax.

F-Gattaca
Jul 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey, Ryuki it looks awesome to ME. PSU's polycount and texture work isn't that terrible.

I honestly don't get what Shou likes in AoI so much over vanilla PSU anyway. The only noticable difference I've seen is that it will have dynamic shadows like PSO:BB does for characters. I didn't notice any dramatic increase of polycounts, just different locales.

Maybe that's what he likes so much--one of them is reminiscent of PSO's Beach area.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-07-01 16:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-07-01 16:33 ]</font>

MayLee
Jul 1, 2007, 06:32 PM
I think Foran Waterfalls remindes me of CAVE 3 In PSO. I love the water effects

gundam0079
Jul 1, 2007, 06:33 PM
mmmm pso

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 06:33 PM
Its noth the thought behind the lobbies *i know what ST wanted it to look like but they just cheated and took the easy way out when it came to graphics. ex: the "hovercars" in the guardians colony are little white dashes >> and the roads "turns" are sharper than a triangle im just being honest but i was really impressed with the beach lobby in AoI i cant wait <3

Shou
Jul 1, 2007, 06:37 PM
heh i wanted to say somthing about how the graphics were better in PSO but i didn't in fear of a mob being formed on PSOW against me ............. oops i think i just did..... *goes into hiding* ._.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 1, 2007, 06:40 PM
I can see why Foran Falls can be disappointing to someone who wants interactive lobby stuff. Just sitting on some chairs, whooptityfuckingdoo. Then again, you shouldn't expect much from PSU, you can't even get drunk at the pub.

Foran Falls is really impressive-looking but it reminds me so much of the forest and hills from Monster Hunter that I wait for wyverns to fly down and attack...or like, bullfango to push everyone off the cliff. <_<

KidoKresh
Jul 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
that probably isnt the last place on parum i bet sega will make a mission after the waterfall

-Ryuki-
Jul 1, 2007, 06:52 PM
On 2007-07-01 16:19, RyukiZero wrote:

Gryffin
Jul 1, 2007, 07:32 PM
They need little mini games in each goal lobbies. That'll make you be willing to reach the place.

For instance, having a Ball to kick around at the oasis springs, or a rubber ducky floating in the hot springs that you can push around. anything interactive at these locations would up the visitor's list.

I think I love you.

Volleyball in oasis, Snowball fights in the snow plains, Mixing drinks at the waterfall (Think about it! Getting juice from the machine, and looking around for herbs and stuff! Alchemy in my Psu!? Please!)........ And D.J.s rubber ducky in the hot springs..

Omg I think i just joygasm'd.

VanHalen
Jul 1, 2007, 07:35 PM
On 2007-07-01 16:52, RyukiZero wrote:

On 2007-07-01 16:19, RyukiZero wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif It looks much better than I thought it was before.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 1, 2007, 07:37 PM
On 2007-07-01 17:32, Gryffin wrote:

I think I love you.

Volleyball in oasis, Snowball fights in the snow plains, Mixing drinks at the waterfall (Think about it! Getting juice from the machine, and looking around for herbs and stuff! Alchemy in my Psu!? Please!)........ And D.J.s rubber ducky in the hot springs..

Omg I think i just joygasm'd.

=D
Wishful thinking =(

Pengfishh
Jul 2, 2007, 01:50 AM
Your Nintendo DS = PSU mini games.

D1ABOLIK
Jul 2, 2007, 04:52 AM

You cant be serious? :/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-07-02 02:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D1ABOLIK on 2007-07-02 02:54 ]</font>

PJ
Jul 2, 2007, 06:41 AM
Why would anyone play such a crappy game, just so they'd be, "Prepared," for the expansion of said crappy game...? That's the dumbest thing I've EVER heard.

I frequent the Falls, but that's because De Ragnus is one of my favourite missions

XanGabriel
Jul 2, 2007, 07:24 AM
On 2007-07-01 16:45, KidoKresh wrote:
that probably isnt the last place on parum i bet sega will make a mission after the waterfall

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=140748&forum=20&1
By: yours truly.

RegulusHikari
Jul 2, 2007, 07:53 AM
If you think PSU is so bad and horrible to play because of the way it looks, then your standards are obviously way too high for us and you should probably go play another game instead.

AoI isn't magically going to give us AA or high end Dx10 style graphics, okay? It's not like a transition from PSO to PSU (graphics wise). It's going to be a spit shine, PSU is going to sparkle a little bit more (and boy does it need it), and the new environment is going to look similar as to what we already have anyway.

Please don't use childish pictures and insults when your argument is entirely baseless and you can't even spell the thing you dislike in the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RegulusHikari on 2007-07-02 05:54 ]</font>

Neith
Jul 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
Question.

It's a waterfall, what else did you expect? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Tykwa
Jul 2, 2007, 10:02 AM
If anything graphics aren't even half the atmosphere of a game for me, your at a waterfall ok?, if you don't like what you see or hear picture in your mind one and it's sounds, all I care about is Storyline and Gameplay, graphics? well they might make things understand but if anyone has read a book you know what i'm talking about, if you read it like it is your going nowhere and likely to get bored of it, or mad. But, if you think of it as more than a book, for some relization that it could be true, you can experience somthing truely amazing and wonderfull, otherwize you may just not have enough imagination to handle such things so thus, you give things a boring attitude and just can't be as happy as the ones that truely enjoy PSU and PSO for the storyline gameply and just the fun memories we have had in the past.

Shou
Jul 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
On 2007-07-02 04:41, PJ wrote:
Why would anyone play such a crappy game, just so they'd be, "Prepared," for the expansion of said crappy game...? That's the dumbest thing I've EVER heard.

I frequent the Falls, but that's because De Ragnus is one of my favourite missions

How is that dums? Huh? I dont want to be like lvl 30 walkin into AoI.... How is that so hard to understand? you just like to make bold statments withought thinking about it dont you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

EJ
Jul 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
On 2007-07-02 14:22, Shou wrote:

How is that dums? Huh? I dont want to be like lvl 30 walkin into AoI.... How is that so hard to understand? you just like to make bold statments withought thinking about it dont you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Over using the wacko in every post doesn't make it funny just makes it seem you trying too hard.

Because you says the graphic fails compare to other games but yet you playing to get ready for AOI which has the same graphics except for the advance shadowing but no higher polygon count or anything to make it look better except for new lobby designs. That is what PJ is saying, you like the new lobbies design and this isn't really about graphics it just you wanted to be whining and says the game is crap but is still playing to get ready for AOI with the same graphic is what I dont get the only difference is the lobbies nothing in terms of graphics is changing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 05:07 PM
PJ is made of win lolz

Tigerram
Jul 2, 2007, 05:34 PM
I love the waterfalls myself. My favorite though is the Ice area in Moatoob after Tunnel Recapture. But all these peacuful areas are awesome to me.

Shou
Jul 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
On 2007-07-02 14:57, EJ wrote:

Over using the wacko in every post doesn't make it funny just makes it seem you trying too hard.

Because you says the graphic fails compare to other games but yet you playing to get ready for AOI which has the same graphics except for the advance shadowing but no higher polygon count or anything to make it look better except for new lobby designs. That is what PJ is saying, you like the new lobbies design and this isn't really about graphics it just you wanted to be whining and says the game is crap but is still playing to get ready for AOI with the same graphic is what I dont get the only difference is the lobbies nothing in terms of graphics is changing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I am very excited for AoI and if that means playing a halfed-ass game before it, so be it. i know many, Many, MANY others will agree with me *just look at the psu population* PSU without AoI is oh so very much broken but after it comes out all classes are made equaly enjoyable and balanced. and on the topic, the "scenory" is much better. (plz note i did not say anything about frame rate, pixles, or any other polygone mumbo jumbo)

By using the "wacko" smily i am trying to get across that im not taking this to seriously and just to make you mad <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

also in one of my older posts i said that i knew there was gonna be a mob of PSOW goers formed against me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shou on 2007-07-02 16:19 ]</font>

Sekani
Jul 2, 2007, 08:23 PM
What I don't get is how you suddenly think AoI is going to magically "un-crappify" PSU. It's the same damned game >_>

Or maybe you don't really hate PSU, you just want to say that to be one of the kool kids, eh? That makes more sense. Sort of.

Calibur
Jul 2, 2007, 08:42 PM
The lobby looks fine to me.

Still.....

Seaside>>>>Foran Falls

IMO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calibur on 2007-07-02 18:49 ]</font>

XanGabriel
Jul 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
On 2007-07-02 16:15, Shou wrote:

On 2007-07-02 14:57, EJ wrote:

I am very excited for AoI and if that means playing a halfed-ass game before it, so be it. i know many, Many, MANY others will agree with me *just look at the psu population* PSU without AoI is oh so very much broken but after it comes out all classes are made equaly enjoyable and balanced. and on the topic, the "scenory" is much better. (plz note i did not say anything about frame rate, pixles, or any other polygone mumbo jumbo)

By using the "wacko" smily i am trying to get across that im not taking this to seriously and just to make you mad <3 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

also in one of my older posts i said that i knew there was gonna be a mob of PSOW goers formed against me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shou on 2007-07-02 16:19 ]</font>

Some people just don't know when to STFU.

Flame
Jul 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry to post this again but I'm really tired of everyone treating PSU like there's nothing wrong with it.

To all those who claim that PSU is the upgrade of PSO in every way please consider the following:

• PSU has been in development for over three years yet is visually(not graphically)less stunning than it's dreamcast and gamecube prequels. This could be forgiven if a sense of atmosphere was intact. Unfortunately, despite differences in music and appearance, the layouts of each of the three planet's playing fields are almost identical. Spell effects are also much worse. The rafoie explosion is surely missed. I cannot put enough emphasis on the damage done by the lack of a transcendent atmosphere in PSU.

• There is massive slowdown in the ps2 version that greatly hampers the experience. The argument that this game should be played on a PC or 360 is unfounded as it was designed with the ps2 solely in mind.

• There is no improvement in game progression, teamwork, or concept. The same kill all the enemies in a room in order to advance directive is actually made worse by forcing the player to back track and grab a switch making the progression clunky.

• PSO broke ground with such an open-ended quest based story mode in addition to the meaty online portion. The quests were inclusive and the player felt part of the universe. PSU however tries to be something well practiced in the rpg realm and in doing so exposes its relatively small production values and gameplay faults when compared to the RPG giants of today. Also the ability of leveling up your character offline is gone forever. I realize they did this for cheating issues and I applaud such a move. However I can't help but feel extra mode is kind of pointless and is by no means a substitute.

• Combat in PSU has improved but has also become sloppy. There was a tightness and precision in terms of timing that PSO continues to enjoy over its big brother.

• The exclusion of mags or a mag like system takes away from another facet of customization. While item synthesis is an interesting and my opinion fun concept, Partner Machines are much more difficult to feed and offer no statistical improvements. The excitement of taking your PM onto the battle field with you is somewhat extinguished by the ability to summon npcs with guild cards, an ability present since level 1. Madoogs are more ornamental than anything else.

• Character customization has improved. However the choices you have are not as appealing as those found in PSO despite their smaller numbers.

I played PSU online for a month and had a great time. I plan to log in once more when I get back from College and am really looking forward to the expansion. I made friends and had wonderful adventures. In this sense I feel that PSU is a success. However there is no denying that it fails to live up the reputation established by PSO.

RedX
Jul 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
• PSU has been in development for over three years yet is visually(not graphically)less stunning than it's dreamcast and gamecube prequels. This could be forgiven if a sense of atmosphere was intact. Unfortunately, despite differences in music and appearance, the layouts of each of the three planet's playing fields are almost identical. Spell effects are also much worse. The rafoie explosion is surely missed. I cannot put enough emphasis on the damage done by the lack of a transcendent atmosphere in PSU.

That is personal opinion. Some people like the way that PSU looks. The planets playing fields are a lot less identical then all of PSO's were. As for Spell effects, not only is that personal opinion again but there are good spell effects in PSU to. You just have to level the spells up, in a month you couldn't have gotten every spell to 21+ to see there final animation.

• There is massive slowdown in the ps2 version that greatly hampers the experience. The argument that this game should be played on a PC or 360 is unfounded as it was designed with the ps2 solely in mind.

I guarantee you that it wasn't made with only PS2 in mind. The fact that their is a clear graphical difference in the character models between a PS2 and a 360/PC, means that the models were made better then a PS2 could handle and, contrary to what most people think, ST is quite good and knows the limits of systems they develop for. It may have originally been intended for just the PS2 but that changed when they got closer to the release date.

• There is no improvement in game progression, teamwork, or concept. The same kill all the enemies in a room in order to advance directive is actually made worse by forcing the player to back track and grab a switch making the progression clunky.

Play the CO-OP missions.

• PSO broke ground with such an open-ended quest based story mode in addition to the meaty online portion. The quests were inclusive and the player felt part of the universe. PSU however tries to be something well practiced in the rpg realm and in doing so exposes its relatively small production values and gameplay faults when compared to the RPG giants of today. Also the ability of leveling up your character offline is gone forever. I realize they did this for cheating issues and I applaud such a move. However I can't help but feel extra mode is kind of pointless and is by no means a substitute.

What exactly does PSU try and be? I personally have never played another rpg with a system quite like PSU's. It may have it's faults but then again so did PSO.

For the extra mode thing, what do you want them to do? They have to take out leveling offline with online character, and that just leaves you with extra mode.

• Combat in PSU has improved but has also become sloppy. There was a tightness and precision in terms of timing that PSO continues to enjoy over its big brother.

Both systems have their advantages. PSO has the timing system, while PSU is just faster paced. In PSU the photon arts really adds something to the battle system. In PSO, timing and choosing between heavy and light attacks added something. Which you prefer is again personal opinion.

• The exclusion of mags or a mag like system takes away from another facet of customization. While item synthesis is an interesting and my opinion fun concept, Partner Machines are much more difficult to feed and offer no statistical improvements. The excitement of taking your PM onto the battle field with you is somewhat extinguished by the ability to summon npcs with guild cards, an ability present since level 1. Madoogs are more ornamental than anything else.

PM == mags of PSU, nor were they intend to. While PM's offer not direct effects on your stats, they do effect your weapons stats. Also, there is a vast difference between taking your PM to the feid and a NPC. When you just bring Leo or someone with you you just like, meh. When you bring your PM however, you feel something because you had to work to get it. Madoogs look like that for the PSO fans, they're in no way meant to be mags.

• Character customization has improved. However the choices you have are not as appealing as those found in PSO despite their smaller numbers.

That is pure personal opinion. I personally like PSU's hair, clothes, faces a lot more then the ugly PSO ones.

I played PSU online for a month and had a great time. I plan to log in once more when I get back from College and am really looking forward to the expansion. I made friends and had wonderful adventures. In this sense I feel that PSU is a success. However there is no denying that it fails to live up the reputation established by PSO.

A month is hardly long enough to sample a game like PSU. Also when was this month that you played? A lot has changed since, say feb, or jan.

And PSU doesn't fail to meat the rep PSO had. It only fails to the people who thought it was going to be PSO v3/ep5.

-Ryuki-
Jul 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
I've been playing since October. Too much has changed. Whether it be for the good or bad, a lot has changed.
I'm going to throw this simple phrase out there. "You complain too much." Seth has good points. Most of anything
PSU-related, is personal. It's an MMO, but a dungeon crawler. Not many people are into that kind of stuff. Then again,
those who enjoy .hack, seem to love this game a lot.

Shishi-O
Jul 2, 2007, 10:22 PM

ditto

Serephim
Jul 2, 2007, 10:24 PM
On 2007-07-02 19:04, Flame wrote:
Sorry to post this again but I'm really tired of everyone treating PSU like there's nothing wrong with it.

And im really tired of people treating PSO like it was fucking god or something. Jesus, LET IT GO.

To all those who claim that PSU is the upgrade of PSO in every way please consider the following:

What the fucking hell? An expanding sphere of orange looks better to you?

Spell effects are tons better, the only thing they lack is the amount of progression they had in PSO. I believed they looked worse too until you get USED to them and realize this IS NOT PSO.

You like redish yellow balls instead of actual flame for your fire spells? Okay. You like 2D blue fog instead of an actual Ice look for your Ice spells? Fine. You like strips of bended polygon for your lightning instead of actual lightning looking effects? Go ahead.

...And wait, your telling me Gidiega DOESNT look awesome?

Now this IS a huge problem. The problem with PSU slowdown is that they left out a crucial element for reducing lag : Frameskip. This game trys to push what seems like 60 frames all the way through the game when the PS2 just wasnt ment for it. The 360 game could have been changed, but they diddnt bother changing the coding. If ANYTHING, this is all i want fixed in AoI. Autoframeskip, PLEASE jesus.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING? DID YOU NOT PLAY PSO?

PSO had absoultely Zero storytelling, which was cool for us who actully liked spectualating, but was by no means "breaking ground". With an exception of very many quests, i IGNORED all the money making quests for PSO simply because they were repetitive. Storymode was lackluster, but was NOT by anymeans a "failure". It was enjoyable in an RPG sense, but they sucked at giving you something to do rather than run around with retarded AI and hit stuff for 40 hours.

Once again, what on earth are you smoking. By Ultimate Mode there was absolutely NOTHING to do but trade hits with the godlike speed monsters, and if your Humar had Resta and a few HP units he was basically unstoppable unless the monster he was fighting HAPPENED to one hit KO him. Or if he got surrounded and jumped. PSU's combat system is such a huge leap over PSO's it isnt even funny. I cant express how happy i was once i played and found out there was no invincibility peroid once getting hit.

Mags also exploited a big flaw in character development to have your Alt character become basically a GOD at whatever difficulty he was playing at, and this counts DOUBLE for Forces. Yes, i admit Mags were fun, but they were getting old. PMs still have way potental Depth than Mags ever had, and thats still to be shown in updates after or even DURING AoI. Not only can they follow you into battle, but they can make stuff for you. AND sell your items.

...Are you EMO or something? Do you ENJOY absolutely EVERYONE looking the exact same as you?

Then why dont you pay for a P S O subscription..?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-02 20:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-02 20:27 ]</font>

Niered
Jul 2, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'd like to get in on the flaming here, really I would, but Im just too damn lazy to get around to reading all the valid points made and then systematically refuting them.

So I'll just make one big-ass end-all statement:

Suck it. PSU has more going for it then 9/10 other ORPG's out there (LUL I KLICS THU MOB TO MAEKS TEH EXP'S!) And although it might feel dated, its still more engaging, and definitely more fun than a traditional grindfest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niered on 2007-07-02 20:29 ]</font>

Serephim
Jul 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
PSU < PSO complaining is just annoying to me.

If your going to frigging complain, at LEAST think up of a point that isnt retarded.

I mean GOD people. You really expect a team of people to make a single game with more content in 1 1/2 years than their game that started on DREAMCAST and ended with the inclusion of the Xbox 360? Dude thats like fucking 6 years.

I can see if this was a BAD game, but you people are just bitching about shit that isnt even relevant. I can see complaining about the Lag on the PS2/360 versions, thats an actual problem. Sure, you can complain about PSU environments, they lack a tad bit less detailing than PSO's did, but then again they are tons more expansive. (And all the Neudaiz stages look frigging awesome to me. They did an amazing job with atmosphere in those areas. The music is spiffy too, and i actully ENJOY the temple stage's track.

You complain about enemy variation, but then again thats a contradiction on what you were basing the bitching on in the first place. PSO had a VERY limited amount of Monsters. Hell, Episode 2 diddnt even have different skinned monsters on Ultimate mode. While i admit we dont have anything as epic as Gol Dragon, Gal Gryphon, or the Sinow bots that went invisible and teleported, 90% of PSO's monsters followed the same basic AI : "Follow player and swing right arm."

Its a work in PROGRESS, people. You should see PSU's potental towering over PSO's with inclusions of missions like the new Neudaiz one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-02 20:36 ]</font>

Mayu
Jul 2, 2007, 10:32 PM
nuuuuuu sere <.<

Oh.... gives me an Idea

IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER STICK FIGURE action <.< comic!

Serephim
Jul 2, 2007, 10:42 PM
uh oh

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:56 PM
I was pretty impressed when I first saw it. I didn't even know it was there before.

You probably just got caught up in the hype and got let down.

Shou
Jul 3, 2007, 01:46 AM
It wasnt meant to be like this but it did turn into a "is PSU > or < or = PSO thread.

Some things that help me get through PSU "because it isnt that great of a game (until AoI of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)" are:
1) Having lots of cool friends
2)Role Playing (im a burning ranger)
3)Being involved with PSOW
4) Flat out looking forward to AoI

I will slap anyone who says that AoI is the same as PSU xD

AweOfShe
Jul 3, 2007, 02:19 AM
On 2007-07-02 20:29, Serephim wrote:
PSU < PSO complaining is just annoying to me.

If your going to frigging complain, at LEAST think up of a point that isnt retarded.

I mean GOD people. You really expect a team of people to make a single game with more content in 1 1/2 years than their game that started on DREAMCAST and ended with the inclusion of the Xbox 360? Dude thats like fucking 6 years.

I can see if this was a BAD game, but you people are just bitching about shit that isnt even relevant. I can see complaining about the Lag on the PS2/360 versions, thats an actual problem. Sure, you can complain about PSU environments, they lack a tad bit less detailing than PSO's did, but then again they are tons more expansive. (And all the Neudaiz stages look frigging awesome to me. They did an amazing job with atmosphere in those areas. The music is spiffy too, and i actully ENJOY the temple stage's track.

You complain about enemy variation, but then again thats a contradiction on what you were basing the bitching on in the first place. PSO had a VERY limited amount of Monsters. Hell, Episode 2 diddnt even have different skinned monsters on Ultimate mode. While i admit we dont have anything as epic as Gol Dragon, Gal Gryphon, or the Sinow bots that went invisible and teleported, 90% of PSO's monsters followed the same basic AI : "Follow player and swing right arm."

Its a work in PROGRESS, people. You should see PSU's potental towering over PSO's with inclusions of missions like the new Neudaiz one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-02 20:36 ]</font>

Addendum to this: Nostalgia is bullshit.

Mayu
Jul 3, 2007, 03:29 AM
Both games suck ok -_-

<.< >.>

Niloklives
Jul 3, 2007, 03:42 AM
A lot of this stuff is opinion based. but all the arguments about graphics I think are moot. The game is relatively attarctive and I very much enjoy the scenery. Have I seen better? of course, but it's not bad.

Regardint the whole dungeon hack thing, progression is going to feel slow, it's hack and slash. PSO vs PSU in this case is going to come out in the wash. kil some monsters to make a door open is the same as kill some monsters to get a key to drop. as far as PSU taking you in circles with the Keys, all PSO fans will jump on the CCA bandwagon. I know this because I do as well. CCA was a fond memory of PSO ep II, but lets face it: you start the area and the the first think you do is go through a teleporter to go to one of three places to flip a switch. how is that different from getting keys? it's not, let it go.

PSO's sense of community was iffy. I remember being in lobby 1 or 2 of like antares or something and watching about 16 people yelling at some jackass to stfu cause he was spamming racist remarks. I don't miss those days. I gated being in lobbies s o much I always went into lobby 12 or somthing and sat in my chair withs oem friends chatting until we felt like shooting or whacking something. The sens eof community was just a large network of friends fortified by a larger player base made more access able by easier accessability to lobbies.

Seraphim, the story in PSO was there, but the story was done in such a way that you had to interact with the game fully to find things out. read notes, run missions, talk to npcs. they didn't just hand it to you. I thought that was a neat feature to the game, but that is of course an opinion as well.

I will say PSO felt much darker than PSU, and while the AIs may not have been mouch more impressibe and the backgrounds weren't breath taking, the environments and terrain were in may ways designed with more depth, but then again, PSu has a little of what I'm talking about if you look around, and It seems we'll see a lot more of it in AoI...but PSO did tend to pull at people's strings a bit more and in a positive way.

Customization is more advanced. end of story there, you liked the clothes in PSO more? that's fine, most people wanted variety after seeing 200 SSJ4Sephiroths and another 1000 HUnewearls all in leopard print and big square breasts. now adays seeing someone who looks like one of my characters is a rare treat and somewhat exciting. I couldn't say that in PSO since it happened so often. PSU gives you more variety, whether you like the choices is personal opinion, and not a valid means of comparison.

PSU's combat system is quite advanced compared to PSO's however, because the combat system became more advanced, the monsters needed to as well, and they didn't the truth of the matter is we still have a whole bunch of boomas to fight, but now we can knock 'em on their asses. for many people, (not all) this makes the combat seem MORE repetative, when the truth of the matter is it's just that the learning curve is a bit less steep. still..that coupled with a few fatal balancing issues and bad hit detection when it comes to the enemy attacking players makes combat in many cases frustrating where it shouldn't be, and seemingly less advanced. If they fine tuned the system a bit, I think they'd have something quite enjoyable here.

In regards to foran waterfall:

It is one of my gavorite locations in the game, made even more enjoyable by the fact that dual sentinal is one of my favorite missions. I've taken quite a few people out to the falls just to show them the lobby and almost all of the felt it was breath taking. Those that didn't just really liked the hotsprings which while it is also very well designed, I'd spent way too many hours sitting there with friend to be able to appriciate it.

As far as the comment made towards the PSO fans to leave PSU if they dislike it so much: I think that's a bit unfair. PSO as far as ST is concerned is dead. the GCN servers were taken down, as far as I understand the BB servers are down or will be soon, and the only way to get your PSO on now is either through multiplayer or private servers. This is ST's new addition to the PSO family. it's like seeing your ex GF from high school after 10 years and finding out she's a lesbian...or something...I mean you're excited to see it, but at the same time, it wasn't what you were expecting at all and the shock leaves you speachless which gives way to this awkward anger or frustration that you evetually get over when you realize she's still pretty cool to hang with. >_>...yeah...I'm sticking with that one.

Anyway lets all try to getover ourselves for just a minute. we all still play this game I would imagine, which means we find SOMETHING redeeming about it that we think is worth $10 a month, even if that redeeming quality is yet to be released. no, it's not PSO, it will never BE PSO. But PSO will always be a fond memory we can all relive once in a while. lets leave it at that.

XanGabriel
Jul 3, 2007, 07:23 AM
I'm done reading everyone's bitching. This is getting out of fucking control. You want to bitch because PSU isn't PSO, or is greater, or lesser, or anything of the sort. It's only another game in the series. It's not a sequel, nor is it an improvement. It's an INSTALLMENT. If you want to bitch like that, complain that LoZ:Twilight Princess is far better than LoZ:Link's Awakening for obvious reasons, or that you hate FF8 but love FF7 because they both have Cid, only a different char with the same name and a better storyline, or... Hell. Throw a shit fit because Nei had to get killed off. Bitch because Dr. Montague isn't in PSU! OH GOD THROW A FUCKING FIT OVER SOMETHING SO MINUTE!! IT'S POINTLESS! GO SUCK IT.

*sighs...

I'm done yelling. I can never stop getting pissed off at people's stupidity, though.

*facepalm.

Foran and Ice Continent FTW. Again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XanGabriel on 2007-07-03 05:24 ]</font>

PJ
Jul 3, 2007, 08:44 AM
On 2007-07-02 23:46, Shou wrote:

Because it fucking IS. Jesus Christ, could you be so dense?

It's an expansion, not a sequel. What that does is add onto whatever the first game has, it doesn't CHANGE the core of it. So if PSU is crappy, AoI is gonna be fucking crappy.

If you don't like the battle system of PSU (Which, if that wasn't the case, then you wouldn't be complaining that PSU sucked), then you won't like AoI's battle system and therefore will not like the game.

Oh, btw, your adding wackos doesn't increase my anger, only makes you look dumber http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2007-07-03 06:51 ]</font>

XanGabriel
Jul 3, 2007, 09:44 AM
Someone either close or delete this god damned thread.

Serephim
Jul 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
On 2007-07-02 23:46, Shou wrote

Phantasy Star Universe isnt the same as Phantasy Star Universe:Ambition of Illuminous? Sound about the exact same to me.

Lets face it. When AoI comes out, everyone who bitches about PSU will put on a HUmar outfit, whore all the Crea PSO-looking weapons, and go spam the goddammed Forest mission, longing for the music to come back and wishing the PSU version of forest diddnt suck so badly.

And i enjoyed the storytelling in PSO ALOT better than PSU, but its nothing to bitch about, espically since they said they were (more or less) doing the same thing in AoI. The only thing i dislike about the storymissions from AoI is that they directly follow PSU's storyline, which although was neat i really didnt fancy it that much because i hated ethan. I would have liked it alot more if it was more Races vs. Seed instead of Races vs. Seed and Us vs. Magashi AND seed.

About overall atmosphere, it really is true PSU lacks alot of tidbit touches that PSO had, but that ONLY accounts for so many PSU stages. Most places PSU has atmospheric touches greater than PSO did, its just not as apparent.

-All Neudaiz areas are beautiful WITH beautiful music.
-I enjoy the plains of Parum, but sometimes wish the level design could be tweaked abit where we could actully see the beautiful mountians with waterfalls on them that ARE THERE FOR ATMOSPHERE, just not put directly in your face like it was in PSO. Their in the background and hidden by the trees. I noticed it in a picture they showed long ago of psu, and am starting to notice it alot more. With the camera angled down from your feet, you see ALOT more.

-The Relics areas are really cool. I just only really like the Dark stages, as the ones with the enegry in the air have annoying music to me.

-Indoor stages are lacking content, thats all. You walk into huge rooms full of absolutely nothing, but the temple is so clean it looks as if its new. Train stages are awesome to me, espically since i get to fight PEOPLE.

-Hive stage dissapointed me, only because it was frigging ugly. The First block is ugly. Second block has a very nice bluish tint to it, which makes it not so ugly. Thrid block is ugly again. I noticed that the stages in PSU, mostly the indoor ones, would look TONS better if they wernt so open. In almost every indoor stage you can look up and see almost a mile into the roof. Hive would be so much more omnious if you were boxed in with a smaller roof and COULDNT see through the floor. And when you COULD, it could be some nasty seed stuff there.

Hives was wicked fun though. The Chaos magic guys were awesome to fight, as were the big jumping things and the monsters with Wings. It was an action packed stage.

The ONLY reason the final boss of this game doesnt make me happy is because of the absurd amount of LAG my Ps2 gets during the battle. Sonic Team ruined alot of missions like that. Firebreak was annoying to do because of lag as well.