PDA

View Full Version : Nei

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 04:58 AM
How many of you based your character off of her?

*raises hand*

A2K
Jul 2, 2007, 05:01 AM
I'm an old-school fan but, I prefer to make my own characters and stories than borrowing too heavily from the old games.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 05:06 AM
There is nothing new under the sun.

And in my case, I probably wouldn't have even given this game a second look were it not for Nei. I never played through PS2 much but I remember ages ago reading about it, and it had always stuck with me.

Niloklives
Jul 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
sounds more like you're defending taking a name rather than just asking a general question. there are a lot of neis and wrens running around and after the first 100 times we saw it back in the days of PSO it began to get old. that was 6 years ago. now it's still the case that people are making Neis and Wrens and Miaus and whatever else and that's fine, but to say that everything at this point has already been done is a very defensive position. A2k didn't attack you so there's no reason to defend yourself.

I for one agree with him whole heartedly. It's more fun to think of yourself as a character who's the hero from a side story to rehash stories from a title that the game you're playing is based on. that doesn't mean I'm telling you not to do it, but let others take pride in their own creativity rather than try to cut them down for it.

But am i to understand you haven't even played the original phantasy star series?

DurakkenX
Jul 2, 2007, 07:43 AM
The base is the same but nothing can ever be duplicated 100% so therefor there is always something new on the complex level but nothing new in the simplest terms... Perhaps this is why americans are so dull even to ourselves... After all we're just a newer version of rome which was a newer version of greece ^.^ Sure our detailed story and path to what we are is different but on the simple level we're the same.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 10:14 AM
Oh I'm not taking the name, just the appearance. I might come close with the name (Nel, Rei, etc), but I'm not THAT unoriginal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And I only got like to the second dungeon of PS2. That game kicked my ass with the grinding :/ I only played it when they had that whole "re-released Sega Genesis games on your computer" thing going on.

But my first contact with Nei came from EGM I think, when I was in 6th grade, and the game was new...I was in another town and reading the magazine for fun, and I read about her dying. I felt mournful, and it always stuck with me, even though I was a hardcore nintendo fanboy at the time.

But yeah...I probably wouldn't even give a damn about Phantasy Star at all without Nei.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
But if you think that's weird...

For christmas I asked for, and got, a 130 dollar statue of Ayanami Rei, and I have not even watched Evangelion. Don't ask, it's...complicated. But, there is a tie in to PSU there. After getting it, I dreamed that we were in a sega dominated world and I was in a ninja team (a la Naruto) with Rei and also Linus from Peanuts. I think she liked me.

Retehi
Jul 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
On 2007-07-02 08:19, Morganna wrote:
But if you think that's weird...

For christmas I asked for, and got, a 130 dollar statue of Ayanami Rei, and I have not even watched Evangelion. Don't ask, it's...complicated. But, there is a tie in to PSU there. After getting it, I dreamed that we were in a sega dominated world and I was in a ninja team (a la Naruto) with Rei and also Linus from Peanuts. I think she liked me.

. . .There is no smiley for the facial expression I'm trying to make after reading this.

Hell, I didn't know this expression was possible.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
Well, is it a "damn that's cool" type thing or "wow, Morganna is weird as hell" type thing? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tita
Jul 2, 2007, 10:34 AM
Nei's great, but...

On 2007-07-02 03:06, Morganna wrote:
There is nothing new under the sun.

that's a filthy filthy attitude *shakes head*

the best part about being able to make your own character is watching the occassional people who were able to make something totally unique and not derivitive or contrived.

that's best for alt characters or having a laugh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
Very well, then tell me how to do it.

I'm not being flippant. I honestly want to know, because when I do try to make more unique characters, I end up dissatisfied with them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morganna on 2007-07-02 08:44 ]</font>

Tita
Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
you can't be told how to be creative :

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:08 AM
It also doesn't help that the story mode characters look a zillion times cooler than we do,
with unique clothing and stuff.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:10 AM
But perhaps you can tell us how you come to character decisions. It might shed some insight.

Weeaboolits
Jul 2, 2007, 11:16 AM
Just make them look how you like, if you don't like how it looks, try again. ;o

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:17 AM
One insight did occur to me:

I don't like my original character ideas because perhaps I don't like myself that much. Therefore I seek coolness outside of me.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Don't take that last thing as trying to be emo. Now that I realize the problem, I can do something about it. Here's a first attempt at something more original.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/740/reinafa9.jpg

Her name is Reina de Montfort. In the future I plan for her to be an acrofighter...the slicer blades sound totally awesome. I envision her as some sort of "cyber warrior" type archetype...towards the end I was thinking that she should have a Motoko Kusanagi sort of feel to her, but I tried to avoid consicously making her resemble her. Pretty good for a first attempt, I would say.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morganna on 2007-07-02 10:02 ]</font>

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 01:06 PM
Another unique character from before that I'm starting to like again:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1390/emmawp3.jpg

Emma Mauer, level 19 beast fighgunner

Golto
Jul 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
In PSU females beasts are more like Nei than female Newmans.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
except for the ATA part, yes.

JAFO22000
Jul 2, 2007, 01:12 PM
...and the lack of a purple jumper.

Kylie
Jul 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
I find nothing wrong with using someone or something for inspiration, but I've picked up that it is better to create your own personal style that makes you distinctive from all the other Neis. I suggest taking some elements of hers that you like and add your own personal flare to the mix. In regards to multiple people running around with the same name, that can be pretty frustrating for everyone, but a name's really just a name.

Emma Mauer, level 19 beast fighgunner

By the way, that was my beast's starting look (except blonde), and I know of at least four other female beasts that have had it too.

& I might as well add some more cents to this...

It confuses me when people say that they have their hair a certain way just to be unique. If there were only two outfits on PSU -one whored and one barely used-, I'd use the one I like more (even if it was the whored look). Distinctiveness is a plus, but I don't think it's worth passing up a great whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-07-02 11:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kylie on 2007-07-02 11:31 ]</font>

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
well it is a cool look. but I didn't make her specifically to look like any extant character...though I did originally have her in mind to be like a female version of Tylor.

Kylie
Jul 2, 2007, 01:39 PM
That's cool. =P

The gist of what I was saying is that you should do whatever the hell you want to with your look because it's YOUR look, and you have the right to make it your own, however you wish. Silly things like being unique shouldn't get in the way... I was just saying with the Emma thing is that I've seen it before. Nothing wrong with that though because you're wrong if you think you won't see the same thing at least once on PSU or any MMORPG.

omegapirate2k
Jul 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
My main character is me.

AWESOMESAUCE

Niloklives
Jul 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
I think your designs are cool. should I chalk up your using different colors of the same shirt as lack of funds or just really liking that shirt?

malice_nyc
Jul 2, 2007, 02:32 PM
Too bad PSU ruined Newmans... Nei was a great fighter, and HUnewearls... nowadays it seems like Sega just wants Newmans to play FT http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Too bad that Nei used claws, and Karen used twin daggers, neither of which is great for Newman fighters... still Nei <3

KamiSori
Jul 2, 2007, 02:54 PM
completion of your Nei character will require this:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/XkatanasoulX/image00001697sm8.jpg

does anyone know what weapon she has in her left hand?

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 02:55 PM
well, Karen was a wartecher I think...

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
that's one awesome beast, Kami. now to think of how to put my own personal touches on her if I make her.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 03:35 PM
Haven't done anything yet, but here's the thing...that just goes to show my usual mindset. I think I've settled on a character and then something else comes along and I think "Whoa! That looks much cooler than my other original idea!" So I don't know if I need to get away from that impulse or not. Just changing hair or clothes doesn't always work either.

However, in favor of originality: For the most part, you can't make exact copies of most existing characters anyway (Nei included), so you may as well be original.

As for my money situation, well...I tend to spend it as fast as I get it. I just got 30k from the new Neudaiz mission and I spent it all already, on nanoblast and a megaline. and now I need to save up another 10k for ME/Hp Restore.

In favor of my own version of the cute beast girl above: Emma is a Fighgunner, and I so would like to make a Fortefighter too...

MayLee
Jul 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
I like to be creative and do my own thing than to copy someone else's

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
Well, what if other people have better ideas than you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
Ehh, don't listen to the 'I wanna be orginal! Just like everybody else!' losers. It's cool to create characters from old games/shows/books you enjoyed and to see how close you can get'em to the orginal model. The community is just Jaded from all of the Sephiroth and Dante run-ins they've had with 12 year olds protraying them in retarded ways is all, so don't take any of'em to heart.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the opposing view. I can see it both ways, honestly.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 03:52 PM
Nei's hot. PSU needs more Neis.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/assassins/archive/2006-lent/reports/ps2wallpaper_2a.jpg

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
One problem is: the artists couldn't make up their minds on what Nei exactly looked like. Go do an image search on "Nei Phantasy" (no quotes) to see the varying appearances in OFFICIAL art.

By the way...in my prior attempts at my own personal Nei, I find that Phanis Tunic and Classica Leggings come close to the right effect.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
Meanwhile, here is an attempt at a Nei wannabe. It probably falls short, but maybe you have suggestions for improvement, Lonzell.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9029/neiyl8.jpg

I opted for the shorter hair because of the one pic of her in the remake of the game where she gets ressurected, which looked similar from the front.

MayLee
Jul 2, 2007, 04:24 PM
On 2007-07-02 13:40, Morganna wrote:
Well, what if other people have better ideas than you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Totally impossible.

Just because there are people who might have better ideas than someone doesn't mean you have to go and be idea robber. I hate when people cannot think of things for themselves. This means they have no creativity what-so-ever and when they do make a character from that person, they look nothing like them. Yeah, some people MAY have better ideas then you but not everybody.

LOL Copyrite

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
Quiet MayLee. The concept of 'wanting to be orginal' in itself is mimicing all of the other people who 'want to be orginal'. Its a idea that people should have their own creative indivisual flare... people like that idea, and 'copy' that idea. You know whats totally impossible? Being completely orginal. Its unrealistic to think that everyone can be completely orginal, when there is too high of a chance that people before them already had the same idea.

Heck, you're named after the photon bullets of my handguns lawlz.

In anycase people that want to be these characters don't do it because of 'lack of orginality'. They do it because they think it's fun to create their favorite character and play as them. The entire 'you just dont know how to be orginal' cry that you all 'copy' unorginally from each other is getting kinda old now. -_^

Weeaboolits
Jul 2, 2007, 04:43 PM
Spend less time trying to be original and more time making your character look the way that you'd like. ;o

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 04:44 PM
On 2007-07-02 14:43, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Spend less time trying to be original and more time making your character look the way that you'd like. ;o

QFT

MayLee
Jul 2, 2007, 04:45 PM
Shut up, foo. Your getting old. Also, those PAs were named after me, also..They are spelled differently..MayAlee.

Get it right or don't get it at all

Reginaldo
Jul 2, 2007, 04:56 PM
My character looks like *gasp* me.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 05:00 PM
On 2007-07-02 14:45, MayLee wrote:
Shut up, foo. Your getting old. Also, those PAs were named after me, also..They are spelled differently..MayAlee.

Stfu, Bullets don't talk. I point where I want you to go, and you fly at a breakneck speed towards it, you got that? *Points at omega's ass.*

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 05:01 PM
On 2007-07-02 14:56, Reginaldo wrote:
My character looks like *gasp* me.

I didn't know they had character faces that ugly. Is it a mod, or are you talking about new faces they added in the expansion? You in the beta or something?

Golto
Jul 2, 2007, 05:24 PM
On 2007-07-02 12:54, KamiSori wrote:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/XkatanasoulX/image00001697sm8.jpg

Nei's Claw in the AOI beta.

Weeaboolits
Jul 2, 2007, 05:29 PM
On 2007-07-02 15:01, Lonzell wrote:

On 2007-07-02 14:56, Reginaldo wrote:
My character looks like *gasp* me.I didn't know they had character faces that ugly. Is it a mod, or are you talking about new faces they added in the expansion? You in the beta or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

JAFO22000
Jul 2, 2007, 05:32 PM
On 2007-07-02 15:24, Golto wrote:

On 2007-07-02 12:54, KamiSori wrote:

Nei's Claw in the AOI beta.

That's the RIGHT handed weapon...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2007-07-02 15:32 ]</font>

Golto
Jul 2, 2007, 05:40 PM
D'oh ok heh looks like the Ruby Bullet handgun in the expansion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JAFO22000
Jul 2, 2007, 05:48 PM
On 2007-07-02 15:40, Golto wrote:
D'oh ok heh looks like the Ruby Bullet handgun in the expansion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Heh! I made the same mistake until I reread the request....

MayLee
Jul 2, 2007, 06:11 PM
On 2007-07-02 15:00, Lonzell wrote:

Stfu, Bullets don't talk. I point where I want you to go, and you fly at a breakneck speed towards it, you got that? *Points at omega's ass.*

I sure hope omega's ass is made of pure steel so I can ricashade off him and hit you in the eye.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
On 2007-07-02 16:11, MayLee wrote:

I sure hope omega's ass is made of pure steel so I can ricashade off him and hit you in the eye.

I LoL'd

Kylie
Jul 2, 2007, 07:05 PM
On 2007-07-02 16:27, Lonzell wrote:

On 2007-07-02 16:11, MayLee wrote:

I LoL'd

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif Same here.

redsnow
Jul 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
On 2007-07-02 08:39, Morganna wrote:

I'm not being flippant. I honestly want to know, because when I do try to make more unique characters, I end up dissatisfied with them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Morganna on 2007-07-02 08:44 ]</font>

If you are dissatisfied with an original concept then why bother, go with what you know and are comfortable with. There are people who wave the flag around that everyone should be unique, but how many people have the social fortitude to do that.. Ill answer the question for you.. not many. Who cares what we think, do what makes you happy.

As for HOW to be original.. ill humor you. I am a artist/writer in real life, i deal mostly with the fantasy/horror/fairypunk (my own term) genre.

1) Rarely watch or read other peoples work unless you are relaxing. If you are consuming media to get ideas you shot yourself in the foot for originality.

2) Ask yourself why is it important that something needs to be original. Many things are cool if you just change the way it looks. Star wars could easily be turned into a modern military drama with a few tucks and tweaks. Point is, don try to reinvent the wheel if all its going to be is another wheel.

3) Stick to your guns and don’t be afraid to fail and scrap an idea. Originality is tough, takes alot of blood, sweat and tears. There is many a times heartache that comes from it. The term "tortured artist" was coined for a reason.

4) As i said in point 1.. If you are looking at other people for ideas, its not original. This can be a good thing AND a bad thing. If something was PURELY original, you face the point of not liking it, or alienating your reader basis. People like to relate to things, and the best way of doing that is by using already pre-established formats to media.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 07:30 PM
On 2007-07-02 17:28, redsnow wrote:

On 2007-07-02 08:39, Morganna wrote:

If you are dissatisfied with an original concept then why bother, go with what you know and are comfortable with. There are people who wave the flag around that everyone should be unique, but how many people have the social fortitude to do that.. Ill answer the question for you.. not many. Who cares what we think, do what makes you happy.

As for HOW to be original.. ill humor you. I am a artist/writer in real life, i deal mostly with the fantasy/horror/fairypunk (my own term) genre.

1) Rarely watch or read other peoples work unless you are relaxing. If you are consuming media to get ideas you shot yourself in the foot for originality.

2) Ask yourself why is it important that something needs to be original. Many things are cool if you just change the way it looks. Star wars could easily be turned into a modern military drama with a few tucks and tweaks. Point is, don try to reinvent the wheel if all its going to be is another wheel.

3) Stick to your guns and don’t be afraid to fail and scrap an idea. Originality is tough, takes alot of blood, sweat and tears. There is many a times heartache that comes from it. The term "tortured artist" was coined for a reason.

4) As i said in point 1.. If you are looking at other people for ideas, its not original. This can be a good thing AND a bad thing. If something was PURELY original, you face the point of not liking it, or alienating your reader basis. People like to relate to things, and the best way of doing that is by using already pre-established formats to media.

Are you single? What's your sign? Are you busy this weekend?

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 08:16 PM
zomg they actually have a Nei weapon coming out?

and, thanks for the advice.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 08:17 PM
They always have a Nei weapon, just like they always have Agito.

Mutt12
Jul 2, 2007, 08:18 PM
Reminds me of the days when people would choose the spiky hair and name themselves Goku and Vegeta...

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
I suppose another concern is...

I speak of dissatisfaction.

But, will I ever be satisfied anyway? Sometimes I think that perhaps my standards are so high that they cannot be met by current technology.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 2, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm guilty of having an alternate character named after Nei. A hunter, and future Claw expert ForteFighter "Nei Fourth".

BTW. I created the character with an actual backstory in mind, and 80% of the time she's in purple clothing whenever possible and is the closest approximation of looking like Nei that PSU allows. I created the character et all long before I ever seen or knew about there where bunch of other players with characters named "Nei"

Background Story:

"Nei Fourth" is a advanced Numan based on the orignal Nei proto-type, created over 2000 yrs ago.
Nei Fourth was by AI-SuperComputer "Daughter" that ran a secret Bio-Systems Lab called "Gene Dome II", on planet Motavia in the Algol Star System. She was later placed in Cold-Stasis Sleep.

Through unknown circumstances she was recovered from a stasis pod within HIVE # 2 in the Gurahl Star System about 6 months ago by Guardian R&D Field agents.

Nei Fourth was revived, but the process introduced biological anomalies into her blood stream that severely altered her metabolism and even altered some of her DNA. Certain assets she had, had been lost.
Determined to realise her full potential and rise above any limitations Nei Fourth has joined the Guardians.

On her time off she runs the General Store "Dirt Cheap" on Guardian's Colony.

Addendum: She finds it odd that several the of Gurahl generation of "Newman" females inexpiclably have the name "Nei" when they don't seem to be related to Daughter's Advanced Numan project from 2000 years ago...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/ShadowDragon28/Cute07.jpg

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 09:47 PM
I like her. Not sure I could stand to make a character that babyface looking, but that is better than my prior example.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 2, 2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.legendra.com/art/galeries/phantasy_star_2/mini_3.jpg

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/psii-web/characters/nei03.gif

Her face is very youthful looking usually.

It was very difficult to get the look somewhat right without making her look either 40 yrs old or something. And the correct hair style wasn't available. The expansion does have a hairstyle that's somewhat closer to the original Nei's.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
I'd hit it.

Weeaboolits
Jul 2, 2007, 10:20 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/Ronin_Cooper/movie_05_03.png

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
Aww.

Anyway, in the one where Nei is resurrected, the front of her hair looks different. There is a short hairstyle that comes pretty close to matching it.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 2, 2007, 11:29 PM
The orignal Nei was never ressurected.

In the Memorial Drama the Nei that a 13 y.o. Rudy (Chaz in the US vers.)met was a special clone created by "GENE" but was not the original Nei, as concept art named her as "Nei Third".
http://phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Phantasy_Star_Memorial_Drama_CD

I think you may be thinking of the concept art that "Yoshibon" did in which an older,
short-haired Fal (Rika in the US version) who was a Hunter, and had a half-Numan son named Rui who's deceased dad was Rudy( Chaz in the US version).

Look at the bottom of the page of this wiki article: http://phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Rika

All of this was in the Ps Compendium book, and I think maybe mentioned in the "Production of" Mini-Book that came with the Memorial Drama CD. As I have those and the Compendium.

No Ps game or Ps side-game was ever made involving them unfortunately.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-07-02 21:38 ]</font>

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
I'm referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Generation_2

I don't know if you're referring to that or not.

By the way, I wasn't criticizing your Nei, I was just saying my own personal character preferences.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 2, 2007, 11:45 PM
I see what your refering to. But the PS Generation 2 version of Nei isn't a ressurection. It's a remake of Phantasy Star II with "re-imagined" artwork & designs. And she still had long hair though. ^_^;

I don't why the PsG II artist made her look 35 yrs old and gave her outfit frilly accents on her clothes.

She looks o.k. but no where near as cute as the orignal artwork from Ps II and Yoshibon's artworks IMO.
Man where's Sinue and Ian-Kun X to back me up? >_> ... ... <_<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-07-02 21:48 ]</font>

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:47 PM
I would love either of them, honestly.

But anyway...I'm glad you have your own personal Nei. Anyone else wish to contribute?

ShadowDragon28
Jul 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
http://phantasystarwiki.com/images/3/3d/Rikaandson.jpg

I've not seen anyone try to re-created this concept version of Fal (Rika) or her son Rui in PSU, which might be easier when the expansion comes out, and if the Ramarl outfit is in AoI.
These concept character's outfits seem to have in some way inspired PSO's Hunter and Ramarl uniforms somewhat I think.

Morganna
Jul 2, 2007, 11:59 PM
Aww.

Now she looks like she'd be easier to recreate in PSU even with our current options. Not the clothing though.

Morganna
Jul 3, 2007, 04:07 AM
Here's the one I was talking about before, the female Sasuke wannabe...gave her new hair, haircolor, and lip color. Her name is Asuka Donati:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8198/asukapv6.jpg

Sorry about the stupid pose, but I prefer it to them just standing there.

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 01:51 AM
And another:

Meryl Bradford, human, later to be fortefighter (yeah I know they're gimp, I don't care)

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5457/merylsw3.jpg

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 02:29 AM
Of all your attempts I like your human most, even if I have a strong disliking for the clothes. I should get some picktures of my best creations just for reference sake. also I want to clarify something: I think it's cool to remake a preexisting character from time to time. it just seems weird that everyone seems to have the same inspiration. I think that's what annoys me.

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 02:34 AM
Which human? You mean Meryl?

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 02:52 AM
x.X that's the only one I saw that you'd made. But yeah I like meryl. There's something about her that stands out, but I can't put my finger on it.

>_> But i still hate that outfit. nothing personal.

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well, we all have different tastes.

Originally I wanted to make her white haired. I was gonna go for the "white haired goth girl in a black dress" look (only there are no black dresses that would really work, except maybe for the same boring desert jacket I always use), but I ended up deciding on lavender-ish hair instead.

Personality wise, she is more or less a "emotions and identity lead to war, only the mission exists" type person.

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 03:23 AM
explains a bit about her face. I agree a lot of these clothes don't do a good job of conveying any diversity when it comes to portraying character personalities which makes it difficult to get too deeply involved with your character. I would love to have some clothes in this that were so bright or frilly or fruity. Some simple a sleek black stuff. Some real vests that were all a solid color. Some better shorts or Maybe some pants that were looser than phanis, but tighter than flaxo without pleats or slits in the sides...

I still want a vest/trenchcoat combo with some decent short and a pair of longboots that where's as bulky or colorful as the classica set...though the HUnewearl boots coming out in AoI are a nice start there...we'll see where it goes.

I really feel like the clothes in this game while there are a good number of options really aren't very interesting. Still, the level of customiziation in this game is top notch. It's always nice to see people taking advantage of that.

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 03:38 AM
Well the clothes are meant to be an "I'm an emotionless ninja killing machine" type thing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 03:40 AM
Also, why do you not like the ninja armor, just out of curiosity? Is it because it's too popular?

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 03:52 AM
I scarcely see ANYONE wearing it actually. I hate it because it seems tasteless and clunky. The boots are hideous. the fishnets are meant to be punk and sexy in a punkish way yet none of that translates at all and the way and the rest of the outfit is just so unflattering to a female form. I like a lot of different looks and such and I think clothes should be a form of expression particularly when making characters. unfortunately all that yakuroba(sp) armor says is "I look ugly".

I'd like it a lot more if it were a bit more samurai and a bit less klingon

D1ABOLIK
Jul 4, 2007, 02:24 PM
On 2007-07-04 01:52, NIloklives wrote:
I scarcely see ANYONE wearing it actually. I hate it because it seems tasteless and clunky. The boots are hideous. the fishnets are meant to be punk and sexy in a punkish way yet none of that translates at all and the way and the rest of the outfit is just so unflattering to a female form. I like a lot of different looks and such and I think clothes should be a form of expression particularly when making characters. unfortunately all that yakuroba(sp) armor says is "I look ugly".

I'd like it a lot more if it were a bit more samurai and a bit less klingon

Wow.Its like you were reading my mind.

________
MFLB (http://vaporizer.org/)

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 04:20 PM
Perhaps it would be improved if they took off some of the plates. Then it would be more like a fishnet bodysuit.

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
then it would need something to go over it. I think the top would look good if it was more like a fishnet shirt with a leather vest over it. maybe have the vest part low cut so it was a bit revealing. the shorts though at that point would have to be fishnet free.

I'm severely pissed that the males get a decent looking Ninja outfir while the women get this BS samurai klingon nightmare.

I really want something more modern Goth. Punk is fine too but if they're going to do it, get away from the 80s and 90s and go somewhere else with it. It's just a lot of the female outfits fail to really get my attention.

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
Meh, can't get on the game, gameguard server is acting up.

Miyoko
Jul 4, 2007, 05:10 PM
This thread reminded me that I saw a picture of Nei being eaten by something not too long ago... I should go find it and post it here...

I'm in a weird mood right now. ~_~

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 05:11 PM
I wonder how that would efefct some people here. x.X I'm just talking about character design...>_>

Morganna
Jul 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
Nei vore? :/

Miyoko
Jul 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I was surprised too... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On the one hand, it's nice to see Phantasy Star characters being involved in fan works. On the other hand... ... ... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DurakkenX
Jul 4, 2007, 05:35 PM
On 2007-07-04 01:40, Morganna wrote:
Also, why do you not like the ninja armor, just out of curiosity? Is it because it's too popular?

*cough* there is no "ninja" clothes... that samurai gear and it's really badly designed samurai armor at that v.v

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
Indeed. I would love to see well designed ninja or samurai gear. Not gonna happen though. I like that new outfit the guys are getting in AoI. complete with geta xD

KidoKresh
Jul 4, 2007, 05:39 PM
Who is Nei??? If i were to get a name from anime or where ever I wouldn't want my character to look or act like the one i got it from... To me it show no personality for me or my characters.

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 05:41 PM
Nei is a character from the phantasy star series and about every newman lover's wet dream. You're inviting hell just by ignorance...lol and I don't think anyone here was talkinag about making their character an absolute clone...but taking the look and name. maybe stealing a catch phrase or two at most.

Niered
Jul 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
To be completely honest, my character name, Niered, is my (somewhat poor) attempt at turning Nei into a masculine name. Since I was playing a newman, I figured it might be a good idea to pay homage to the original. I like my name at the very least, so thats all that really counts.

KidoKresh
Jul 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Thank you... I've only played PSO and PSU so i wouldn't know much about the older game characters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well Kido if you played PSO you probably remember the weapon "Nei's Claw" that's where that came from

As far as modifying namss, I think that takes a good deal of creativity too, so I woudn't worry about defending it too much. I think it's a good name, too.

KidoKresh
Jul 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
Nei's claws Nei's claws... hmmmm i think i had those i haven't played PSO in forever i forgot what they look like.

XDeviousX
Jul 4, 2007, 05:59 PM
I recommend playing phantasy star 1-4 if you ever get a chance. (emulators and roms are easy to find and use)

Phantasy Star 1 is one of the hardest RPGs I've played...

PSIV is my favorite old school rpg by far, especially with combining each characters spells to make mega-spells...

DurakkenX
Jul 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
I think that those who use names from anime/games should create their chars to be as much like those chars as possible... otherwise you're just being uncreative and ruining a character. If it just happened to a coincidence then all's fair.

Niloklives
Jul 4, 2007, 06:09 PM
Nei's Claw (Real)
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/GC-REAL_NEIS_CLAW-ACTION-3.jpg

Nei's Claw (common)
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/neisclaw2.jpg

KidoKresh
Jul 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
Well I could see ppl using the name Nei just cuz they like it(I made a character names Rei even though i first saw it on Evangelion), but I think they shouldn't try to be that character just because you don't really know that character would act, but everyone does their own thing that they like to do. Now it's just my opinion you don't have to listen to it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KidoKresh on 2007-07-04 16:12 ]</font>

Morganna
Jul 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, Rei rocks too. And I think with the right hairstyle, eyes, and face, you can make her as well.

Meanwhile, why does Nei have such universal appeal?

Morganna
Jul 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yet another shameless showing off of a character.

Caina Valetti, level 9 human, Fighgunner 1 (more on that in another thread)

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8048/cainata9.jpg