PDA

View Full Version : Poll: is it possible to make money synthing?

SolomonGrundy
Jul 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
So, I have 3 level 100 PMs, and I chew through meseta pretty quickly playing the game, equiping characters. I thought I might try to synth for profit...

However the few times I have tried to do this, the results have been varied. I made 36 ageha-senba's of all %s, but only when I marked them down did they sell. (example: 20% for 20K). Not a money maker.

I had better success with Alterics - I made a few +5, and sold them (*quickly*) for 125K a piece. This was with ALL purchased materials, except for the +8 B grinders. I worry though, that a bad run of synthing could wipe out any profit. I've already taken a beating on jitseens (went 3/12).

So, can it be done? What's the secret to your success?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-07-02 12:26 ]</font>

Kylie
Jul 2, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hit or miss - gamble.

Some have made tons of money synthing, some have lost a lot. Personally, I find playing randomly and acquiring whatever drops that's rare and selling it is the most stable way to make money.

Sylpheed
Jul 2, 2007, 02:06 PM
I make quite a lot of money from synthing, although the ONLY thing that i synth for cash is Shigga Bines just because of the fact that i seem to get extremely lucky when making them. Ive never failed more than one per board which is pretty dam lucky i sell them for 310 a piece even more if i grind them well, bear in mind though i find ALL the materials to make these with the exception of the chicotite which i just buy from player/NPC shops cause its so dam cheap. But yea its really down to your real life luck if you have a lot of that then synth away!

EspioKaos
Jul 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
Generally, I just sell my materials and boards to make money. I have, however, been synthing some B-rank line shields and selling them (at 50% of NPC price) as PM food. I haven't been able to see if they've sold yet or not, though (my internet is down at home, so I can't play at the moment). But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of having a decent pile of Meseta waiting for me when I get back.

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 2, 2007, 02:15 PM
Selling materials is the way to go.

... But if you're organized, you'll be synthing and making faster money from it.
Calculations and recording will give you the edge http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SolomonGrundy
Jul 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
wat are you recordin, exactly?

Mayu
Jul 2, 2007, 02:28 PM
hit or miss

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 2, 2007, 02:46 PM
On 2007-07-02 12:27, SolomonGrundy wrote:
wat are you recordin, exactly?

^.~ Data. Like for example...

Trying to make money by synthesizing Yamata-Senbas:
by Mass Production by 20:
20 [B] Yamata Line = 2,600,000

Materials:
Vulcaline (x600)= 4,800,000
Ortaresin (x800)= 6,000,000
Photons (x300)= ???

Total: 10.800,000+2,600,000 = 13,400,000 meseta + photons

Possible synthesis success: 60

Now if EVERY one of those came out (lol) then it'll cost 223,334 meseta per armor to gain back your lost meseta.

Now since the success rate sucks.. around a 37% rate on a pure armor PM, lets make the minimum of the synths coming out as 20.
So 20/60.

To gain back your lost meseta would mean each armor would cost 670,000.

We haven't even added % increase of elements or even the photon's pricing and supply and demand!

So like lets say you get 40/60.
The Yamata would have cost you 335,000 to make each. So you can sell them for 500,000 meseta in stores + photon pricing,supply/demand, and % of photon element on the armor.

========================

When you spend time in shops, you'll understand that there's more mathematics in the back of it, for the useful and fair shops, that is.

Or heck, throw in your item for 1 mill and see if anyone dumb enough to not check shop pricing would buy it from you xD

malice_nyc
Jul 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
Range or Tech is the only way to make money synthing... think about it this way, a 10% or 12% melee weapon or armor costs as much to make as a 44% or 50%... but will sell for 1/10th the price if at all...

You'll make more regular money from selling guns and rods/wands. As a bonus the GH-451 (tech) PM is the best in the game... and you can use the 450 sadist for a while as well >_>

SolomonGrundy
Jul 2, 2007, 03:16 PM
Now since the success rate sucks.. around a 37% rate on a pure armor PM, lets make the minimum of the synths coming out as 20.
So 20/60.

To gain back your lost meseta would mean each armor would cost 670,000.

oh, I spend a LOT of time in shops - because it's often cheaper for me to but a mid % weapon (18-22%) then buy the boards and synth it myself.

The issue with your example is: how many armors would actually sell? you don't have any control over the buyer market, and in a lot of cases, that's where the synth system can break down. How many Yamata-senaba's do people need?

Like all the folks wasting photons synthing ice jitseens, when there is a 29% ice rapier in the shop. it's just not worth the massive amount of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18% weapons that you will make trying to get something worthwhile.

all that being said...the onl way you are going to get an uber % weapon/armor is to synth (unless you have lot of meseta to burn)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-07-02 13:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SolomonGrundy on 2007-07-02 13:22 ]</font>

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 03:20 PM
Make 9 star weapons, grind'em, sell'em.

Anyone wants to buy a +7 deathmaker btw?

Dj_SkyEpic
Jul 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
That's why you have to worry about the supply and demand of the economy. It was just an example of recording from what I gave yah'.

So if you were to try a daily recording of synthing other stuff, such as Howrods and Deathmakers, then I believe that's where the profit will come from.

JAFO22000
Jul 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
You also have to take into consideration the economy of the version you are playing. DJ's example has him purchasing 20 Yamata Senba boards and mats. Who on the 360 has 13 million sitting around to spend on synths? On the buyers side, meseta is at a premium, so don't expect people to pay for something in your shop without shopping around first for the best deal. If someone wants a Yamata senba, they aren't going to care that it cost you x amount of money to synth this one, therefore it's "worth" 668,000 meseta...especially if someone else has one for 500,000.

Lonzell
Jul 2, 2007, 03:38 PM
Quickest and cheapest way to make fast cash. Craft weapons that you know people love to get that 9 star weapons. Such as Death makers, heavy twins, ect. Grind said weapons to 5. Then under cut the people who are charging insane prices for their grinded weapons.

Obtain your A grinders via buying like 20 A boards at a time, and craft a full board at a time for the best chance of getting 5 high ranking A grinders on a day you have high luck.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
yeah, that's one thing that may favor elemental %s right?

A phantom is a phantom, so you are buying the one with the lowest price, at a given grind level. But a gudda gant - well, did you want the 18% fire for 195K, or the 16% light for 210K?

LS_Aksion
Jul 2, 2007, 07:47 PM
well, heres what i do--

1st Synth foods sell em cheap, great way for earning extra $$$
2nd sell high lvl mats, copernia works great also http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
3rd save money to buy more [B] make 6* to 9* & sell em. always works http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
4th save more money make A grinders, luckily you might get a A+8 or 10+

Sekani
Jul 2, 2007, 08:17 PM
I don't know how range and tech people make money, since after you take failures into account it's a hassle for them to make a profit while still undercutting the NPC.

For striking and armor, you're pretty much playing the lottery. You take hits on the failures and sell the junk weapons for a loss, make a little meseta on the decent ones (20% or more), and catch a windfall on the high percents.

Also, it's good to keep an eye out on trends. "Icebreak" rumors and an overall shortage of ray-photons have driven up prices on ice armor, and the new Moatoob missions are driving up demand on lightning weapons and ground armor. You can charge a premium for anything that's in high demand.

BloodDragoon
Jul 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
Yes you can make money synthing. I did so easily on my PS2 acct. When I get a lv 100 PM on my 360 acct, I'll give you a profit margin comparison... >.>

LS_Aksion
Jul 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
sell Grinded weapons, wands Ect, thats what ppl are really looking for. Period

1 to 4 grinds even will make the price go up significantly

on side topic: Most memberable villain, Jack Nicholson as Joker in movie: Batman