PDA

View Full Version : I tip my hat off to PS2 players.

Mystil
Jul 8, 2007, 08:34 AM
I reinstalled the game on my PS2 last week because my vid card I use for FFXI is broken so I need some online action to keep my busy. I originally had the PC version but I somehow lost it, even if I had it, I'd have no vid card that can run it.

As a fortetecher on the PC version, I experienced tech loading lag that sometimes made it impossible for me to play my class correctly. Usually this is corrected by loading all my techs at the beginning of a block.

However on the PS2 version, the lag is 3x worse - loading at the beginning doesn't mean they will stay loaded. I can't play FT on the PS2 version at all. MY techs take under a minute to load. 10mb connection btw.(I think the PS2 bottlenecks connection speed..)

As a GT now, my bullets will load. . . when they feel like it =P.

Just saying, I thought I had it rough on PC, but you guys go through hell.

MrNomad
Jul 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
On 2007-07-08 06:34, Mystil wrote:
I reinstalled the game on my PS2 last week because my vid card I use for FFXI is broken so I need some online action to keep my busy. I originally had the PC version but I somehow lost it, even if I had it, I'd have no vid card that can run it.

As a fortetecher on the PC version, I experienced tech loading lag that sometimes made it impossible for me to play my class correctly. Usually this is corrected by loading all my techs at the beginning of a block.

However on the PS2 version, the lag is 3x worse - loading at the beginning doesn't mean they will stay loaded. I can't play FT on the PS2 version at all. MY techs take under a minute to load. 10mb connection btw.(I think the PS2 bottlenecks connection speed..)

As a GT now, my bullets will load. . . when they feel like it =P.

Just saying, I thought I had it rough on PC, but you guys go through hell.

its a giving that PC will have the best performance out of the three versions. Thats why i switch from my ps2 to pc =P

PJ
Jul 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
Eh, it's not that bad. Just in the really lots of big creatures heavy places it likes to unload my techs. Otherwise, my PS2, unfortunately, runs the game better than my PC, so I really don't have an option, really.

I really wish I had an awesome enough computer to run PSU on MAX settings, including max resolution. That just looks amazing (I've seen it; oh man)

Otis_Kat
Jul 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
It doesn't look that amazing. Maybe because at max resolution it only takes up less than a quarter of my screen and I have to stretch it. >_>

Jarek
Jul 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
On 2007-07-08 08:36, PJ wrote:
Eh, it's not that bad. Just in the really lots of big creatures heavy places it likes to unload my techs. Otherwise, my PS2, unfortunately, runs the game better than my PC, so I really don't have an option, really.

I really wish I had an awesome enough computer to run PSU on MAX settings, including max resolution. That just looks amazing (I've seen it; oh man)

Quoted for great similarity.

I still cycle through my weps at each new block, and usually won't have much problem with it. Of course, I've made it habit to not be a fT in a team with more than 4 people total..otherwise yeah, it isn't worth the hassle.
Bullet's honestly annoy me more, cause they almost never stay loaded.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 8, 2007, 01:45 PM
weapon switch lag is why I prefer small parties or soloing.

Sinue_v2
Jul 8, 2007, 06:30 PM
I haven't had much of a problem with weapon loading or unloading PA's on the 360 version, even in areas dense with enemies and PA's going off consistantly. However the slowdown is worse than even on the PS2. There's some areas where the slowdown makes the game chug badly even when playing solo.

DikkyRay
Jul 8, 2007, 06:46 PM
the onlt thing that PC has over my ps2 is screenies. The game is slower on my pc, harder to type, and itty-bitty screen.
Switching from like a big screen tv to a labtop moniter isnt the bestest ya know?

Almighty_Envy
Jul 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
My ps2 doesnt lag, I mean honestly, i have zero lag.

I used to play on pc and my pc lagged more because its crap lol.

PJ
Jul 8, 2007, 07:28 PM
On 2007-07-08 17:08, Almighty_Envy wrote:

You must have a Godly PS2.

Now, I know the PS2 isn't as bad as most people exhaggerate it to be, but... that's just crazy talk.

Ithildin
Jul 9, 2007, 04:56 AM

How the hell can you not have lag on a ps2?!?! Anyway, I did hear somewhere that the lag is worse for us Europeans... Therefore, myself and a couple of others are moving over to 360...

imfanboy
Jul 9, 2007, 05:20 AM
Also, you can turn off the BGM to reduce the lag... not eliminate it entirely, but since doing it back in December I've NEVER seen anyone start in a mission as a blue blur for like a minute and a half before loading, and my techs, if they unload, reload in a few seconds at most...

The worst lag was in the thankfully gone Urgent Orders, especially if someone was wearing an aura of any kind. Man, that was awful... but thankfully, that problem is no more.

Mystil
Jul 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
Crimson Beast, my FPS dropped to 1 =P.

But I have the old PS2 model so I guess the network module can only take so much, from being so outdated.

DurakkenX
Jul 9, 2007, 07:57 AM
v.v the lag is hardware lag, not server or connection lag...Server/connection lag happens when you see people skipping across the screen or freeze up.

Loading is hardware with this game as it has to search the entire disc for the various things it needs to load up and CD/DVDs just were not made to do that....HDDs however were so it's quicker for us and if we have a problem it's either because of a slow HDD or low RAM or something like that... All things PC users can easily fix which is why most of the time we don't have load up issues.

Sinue_v2
Jul 9, 2007, 08:29 AM
lag is hardware lag, not server or connection lag

Lag is network latency. Slowdown is when your framerate drops and the game chugs.

I dunno why people try to consolidate terms like that... it only causes confusion. Like the whole HD confusion some people have going on. If people would have just kept calling Hard Drives HDD's, then you wouldn't have a problem.

Kent
Jul 9, 2007, 04:07 PM
I reinstalled the game on my PS2 last week

...What?

On 2007-07-09 06:29, Sinue_v2 wrote:

lag is hardware lag, not server or connection lag

Lag is network latency. Slowdown is when your framerate drops and the game chugs.

I dunno why people try to consolidate terms like that... it only causes confusion. Like the whole HD confusion some people have going on. If people would have just kept calling Hard Drives HDD's, then you wouldn't have a problem.

It really stemmed from people being stupid/confused by technology.

Because, you know, one's framerate dropping totally has anything to do with your connection being slow, and vice versa.

...But yes, it's like this, for people who don't understand:

Lag - Network latency. i.e. Your internet connection slowing down, causing brief (or not-so-brief) desynchronization.

Slowdown - Hardware not being able to process what's going on fast enough. i.e. Frames per second drop, due to the hardware not being able to keep up with what the software is telling it to do.

HD - High-Definition. You know, like those fancy-pants new TVs (resolutions of 1280x720 and higher).

HDD - Hard Disk Drive. That storage thing with the cookies on the inside. This abbreviation has been in use forever, don't try to change it.

The thing that makes it take time between when you pull out a weapon, and when you can use its PAs? That's just loading time, because Sonic Team had the genius idea to make the game for the PS2 make the game unload your weapons/PAs when not in use, causing you to experience a short downtime when switching between weapons. I believe the game keeps two weapon sets of yours loaded - your current one and your previous one - and won't cause a loading pause when swapping back and forth. Switching to a new one, however, will cause it.

Mystil
Jul 9, 2007, 04:25 PM
On 2007-07-09 14:07, Kent wrote:

...What?

Before I hopped on the PC version I had the PS2 version for 3 months after release. I 'uninstalled it' by deleting all the files off my memory. The damn thing is 2.5MB. I 'reinstalled it' by downloading all the files back into the memory card.

It should have been self explanitory for someone like you.

Almighty_Envy
Jul 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
On 2007-07-08 17:28, PJ wrote:

You must have a Godly PS2.

Now, I know the PS2 isn't as bad as most people exhaggerate it to be, but... that's just crazy talk.

lol i must. Im serious.

I just played as a FT and switched between 3 rods and all of my techs loaded like 1 second after switching. I was in a party of 5 people if it matters.

Kent
Jul 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
On 2007-07-09 14:25, Mystil wrote:

On 2007-07-09 14:07, Kent wrote:

...What?

Before I hopped on the PC version I had the PS2 version for 3 months after release. I 'uninstalled it' by deleting all the files off my memory. The damn thing is 2.5MB. I 'reinstalled it' by downloading all the files back into the memory card.

It should have been self explanitory for someone like you.

Oh, right. For a minute there, I was thinking that by "reinstalled," you actually meant that you had ... installed something. Again.

Not... Downloaded patch files, which is something else, entirely.

Sinue_v2
Jul 9, 2007, 08:01 PM
HDD - Hard Disk Drive. That storage thing with the cookies on the inside. This abbreviation has been in use forever, don't try to change it.

Though couldn't that be altered a bit? I mean a full and complete Hard Disk is a drive, as in - Hard Disk Drive. The platters inside don't constitute a drive unless there's a way to access and read the data, so it would be a HD. But that's moot because they don't make removable platters. It's like calling a FD a "Floppy Disk Drive", but it's not because it's just a floppy platter that you insert into the Floppy Disk Drive (FDD) which reads the platter inside the disk.

But that gets confusing too, since there's several types of floppys like the 5 1/4, 3 1/2, and iOmega Zips - and the FDD's aren't interchangable. Though noone really uses the 5 1/4 anymore (cept me), and people confuse that too - since 5 1/4's have a plyable casing whereas the 3 1/2's have a hard shell. So they call 5 1/4's a floppy and the 3 1/2's a Hard Disk - which confuses it with the Hard Drive. Thankfully the iOcrapa died out a long time ago - but people still confuse the 3 1/2's with Hard Drives, despite the fact that the old "floppy" 3 1/4's are also dead. That's not even getting into the confusion some people have making the connection between Optical Drives and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. I was asked to fix a CD-Rom for a friend one time and I asked him to hand me the optical drive - so he says yeah, sure and hands me his PC camera.

/ramble on

DurakkenX
Jul 9, 2007, 11:12 PM
Remember details in america are unimportant v.v

Powder Keg
Jul 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
It's horrible on PS2, it got to the point where I had to torrent the PC version because spells randomly unloading on you became absolutely unbearable.

SStrikerR
Jul 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
and i thought i was the one with the only ps2 that didnt lag....
sure i have to wait .5 secs for my wep to load, but thats not enough to cry about, an thats all the lag i get, and i load levels and such way faster than a lot of people, in fact, ive never loaded slower than someone else except 1 person thats on the pc.

woot go silver slim!

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 13, 2007, 06:10 PM
I have never experienced any lag with the XBox 360 version of the game, except when my connection was 3mb it would have some trouble when I shot something, the damage number would appear a second later. Now I have a 6mb connection, and the new house I'm moving into has a 12mb DSL-Ultra connection http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ithildin
Jul 19, 2007, 01:19 PM
PS2 - I experience lag frequently
360 - I have experienced lag in a few missions, but nothing to really whine about