PDA

View Full Version : GRINDING: chances 'very high' ? Um... I am doubtful

Von_Klaun
Jul 8, 2007, 09:24 AM
I have become recently obsessed with grinding b and c ranks to ten (3 and 6*s to be specific). And I have to say that when I am told by the photon bitch whores that I have a 'very high' chance of success and I have 3* luck and am pat the 4th grind, I fail about 50 percent of the time. And on 'high' it's as bad as 40 percent.

I honestly think that the odds are one notch lower in reality than what the game tells you.

Thoughts mon amis?

Sydz
Jul 8, 2007, 09:25 AM
http://psupedia.info/Weapon_Grinding

Parn
Jul 8, 2007, 09:31 AM
Percentages always seem off when you're really focused on something.

My personal recommendation is to just hold off on grinding entirely, unless you have a surplus of money/items. For example, if you happen to have two S rank weapons with 50% element in both, then grind away!

BanF
Jul 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
The only grind chances I balk at are "high" and "50/50"; they are the only ones that have broken my weapons.

ljkkjlcm9
Jul 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
there's no way very high breaks that often for you, if it does, you have some horrible luck.

THE JACKEL

ThEoRy
Jul 8, 2007, 11:21 AM
with 3 star luck u should be able to get to the fifth grind no problem assuming you are using a high lvl grinder. Plz tell me u are using a plus 9 for that fourth grind.

HFlowen
Jul 8, 2007, 11:21 AM
Remember, impossible =/= improbable

RedCoKid
Jul 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
On 2007-07-08 07:24, Von_Klaun wrote:
I have become recently obsessed with grinding b and c ranks to ten (3 and 6*s to be specific). And I have to say that when I am told by the photon bitch whores that I have a 'very high' chance of success and I have 3* luck and am pat the 4th grind, I fail about 50 percent of the time. And on 'high' it's as bad as 40 percent.

I honestly think that the odds are one notch lower in reality than what the game tells you.

Thoughts mon amis?

"Very high" = 90%
"High" = 60% on average, but I agree, it can be as low as 40% some days

Garnet_Moon
Jul 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
It can break on Very High, and it can work at Very Low.

Just pretend the NPC says nothing. It'll either synth or break. Go in thinking you will break them all and you'll be good to go.

Cz
Jul 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
i have fail 2x S rank with 85% success rate before. I should be the one complaining. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BunnyGirl on 2007-07-08 11:15 ]</font>

Shaidar
Jul 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
In the early days of PSU I was crazy about grinding (call it a Ragnarok damage). Nowdays I take it cool though. More focused on getting decent weapons to begin with, so I only grind higher than +2 when I've got back ups or simply don't care about the weapon.

Another reason is that I don't have enough time to use it on replacing weapons lost due to my own stupidity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-07-08 11:42 ]</font>

Mayu
Jul 8, 2007, 01:43 PM
-_- I hate breaking on very high :_;

RedX
Jul 8, 2007, 01:46 PM
Once you play games like SRW, you learn that percents mean nothing at all. It's only your own luck that matters.

KamiSori
Jul 8, 2007, 01:50 PM
i can agree with the OP. ive broken about 5/12 A rank weapons. i have NEVER grinded an A rank past the 4th grind. ive NEVER even attempted to grind my A ranks on anything less than "very high chance". yet for some reason i seem to break weapons on a regular basis. maybe i do just have horrible luck IRL.... ;_;

Mayu
Jul 8, 2007, 01:52 PM
- -

+9--->+10

-----------break!-------

:_:

Niloklives
Jul 8, 2007, 01:58 PM
there are hidden %s on ginding. depending on the grinders you're using, even if it says "very high" thse values can range between 70% and 99% High is about 50% to 69%...when you look at it that way you can't really base your grinds on the NPC.

I usually use +8s or +9s til I get to a +5 then use +10s the rest of the way. I've gotten a about 8 weapons to 10 that way but it's cost me about 150 weapons to do it.

on the suject of bad luck, I tried to make and Alteric +10 for a long time. I'd gotten about 6 +9s over a period of time and using _10s each time all but one failed. the one that didn't fail I didn't grind to +10 until 2 m0nths later

At a success rate of "high" I should expect to have at least 3 of those 6 succeed. such wasn't the case. it's just the way the game is.

Morganna
Jul 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
I tried to get a third grind on my grenade launcher, at very high, with an 8 rank grinder, and a 3 luck character (female beast)...and failed.

Fortunately, someone had purchased 250k worth of stuff from my second shop, so I was able to get it again immediately.

Does this mean that one shouldn't grind A rank weapons?

Niloklives
Jul 8, 2007, 02:18 PM
it means be ready for a lot of disappointment. it generally takes 20-30 weapons to get 1 of them to +10

Rashiid
Jul 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
sorry; no chance of breaking means 95-99%.

i have the tears to prove it.

Very high is like 80-94%. (hehl tears for that too)

anything else; say goodbye.

just wait till Aoi like me =]

Niloklives
Jul 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
I've grinded a whole lot of weapons and never seen anything break going from 0 to 1...

Also on very high, my results have varied, but since I've had a few instances where 50% of my weapons shattered using low end grinders but stil getting "very high" I have to assume the rate is lower than 80%, but not much lower. it goes without saying though, that if it says "high" you're getting that weapon back only if the gods of PSU favor you for all of 5 seconds.

Lonzell
Jul 8, 2007, 02:41 PM
lmao out of this entire time playin this game only once have I busted a "Very High". As much as I grind successfully, it feels as if its once in a blue moon a very high will break.

Reipard
Jul 8, 2007, 04:50 PM

If you're looking to grind to +10, AOI isn't going to be a whole lot better.

Ryoki
Jul 8, 2007, 07:59 PM
Btw, if you are grinding identical items (like guns), do it one at a time.
like:
This python +2, and then this python +2, then that one plus 3, that one +3, this one +4...
Oh, well at least you still have a +3!

And i stand by my belief that no chance of failure means no chance of failure. GRM knows they could get their evil asses sued over that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2007-07-08 18:00 ]</font>

Rashiid
Jul 8, 2007, 08:39 PM
On 2007-07-08 14:50, Reipard wrote:

If you're looking to grind to +10, AOI isn't going to be a whole lot better.

LoL bump that.

i just wanna grinded em 2 maybe 3 times w/o having the fear of losing my weapon.

Reipard
Jul 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
LoL bump that.

i just wanna grinded em 2 maybe 3 times w/o having the fear of losing my weapon.

Understandable. If anything, the -1 system will be ideal for getting weapons up to +5 relatively easily. +5 is honestly all I ever want out of any weapon but my very last one, so it works quite well.

My problem is, it might drive the prices so far down that it will be hard simply to make money. But that is a conjectured fear based off of the announcement and not necessarily rooted in experience.

SolomonGrundy
Jul 9, 2007, 06:57 PM
another poster already mentioned that very high can vary. using the lowest grinder to get from high to very high is not always the wisest idea.

please keep in mind there is a big difference between casual grind (staying in the very high category), and trying for +10. This is for those trying to get to +10

for C ranks, they are cheap, and plentiful (5 per boards, 90% synth success). until the +6 grind I tend to use +1 to +5 grinders, which are plentiful, if you make 100 grinders at a time.
+6 to +8 I start using good grinders. going from 8->9, and 9->10 is +10s only.

For B ranks I have 2 strategies. For non kubara weapons, I use B+1/B+2 for the first grind. To get to a total grind of 4 I use +4/+5/+6/ (again, common, but you see how much more conservative I get). to go to +5 I use +8 grinders, as this gets me into 'very high' territory, which though not safe, is a mentally comforting.
+6 to +8 is pretty nerve wracking. I use +7/+8/+9s.
finally for the last 2 grinds only +0s will do.

For kubara weapons and elemental melee weapons I use B+1 on the first grind, and B+9 on the second grind. Those are 'no chance of failure.' That way I maximize the number of weapons I get to at least +2. after that I us the same strategy as above.

Finally, A ranks. I won't even gind elemental A ranks past 1. I'd rather sell them to get a better elemental %, than risk losing it. For guns/wands, I am pretty conservative. First grind is still an A+1, but second grind is an A+4, and 3rd grind is an A+6, and 4th grind is an A+8. If I had A+10's, I'd probably sell them for the 100K-150K that they sell for. Selling 5 in this manner would be enough to cover the cost of buying someone else's successful grind.

which brings me to my last piece of advice. When in doubt, pay someone else to take the risk. Is a +4, 9* A rank weapon worth 600K? You bet it is. If one broke during the grinding, it's 300K for a new 9*. And you are rollong the dice 3 times...

Von_Klaun
Jul 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
Good feedback guys. I have gotten a total jones for the idea of having a 10 grind 3* for new characters, and a 10 grind 6* for intermediates.

I know I'm probably wasting money in the long term, but the rush I got when I grinded 2 3* Yohmei wands in a row to 10 was lovely.

Having a brand new character doing near A rank damage after 30+ mios of gameplay is really nice. I am going mad however!

Karuson
Jul 9, 2007, 10:16 PM
wahh.. i just started grinding my 50% light Derdira and it was at 4 when it broke on a "very high chance".. ugh.. XD i know its JUST a Derdira but its a good weapon for Hunters + 50% light.. arg XD

Tita
Jul 9, 2007, 10:36 PM
grinding in psu is the most traumatic thing in a video game since Silent Hill's ghost babies.
*chills*

DreadKnight
Jul 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
Meh, I stay conservative. I only grind past +2 if it's an A or S-rank weapon and that's if I have a duplicate so I can afford to lose one. On the way up the leveling ladder your weapons progressively get more and more powerful anyway. I COULD grind a 3* weapon early on and be real powerful, sure, but I'd rather save up and synth a cool 4* weapon with good elemental attributes and grind that weapon a couple times and so forth...

SolomonGrundy
Jul 10, 2007, 01:19 PM
I would never grind a 50% weapon past the guarantee stage. that's crazy talk

Gryffin
Jul 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
My name is Gryffin. I am addicted to grinding.

*sits down*

Honestly enough, I reaaaaaaaaaally think that the lady in AoI who adjusts your luck should have another re-roll thing, 1 in 10 chance of giving you a GUARANTEED grind.. on the next grind you do. Or SOMETHING to guarantee grinds. Other than having 3* luck and using +10's >.>