PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PS2: Will AoI have HDD support?

Kion
Jul 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
Is there any chance that AoI will get hard drive support for playstation? It would cut down on a lot of lag...

The PS2 has very little memory so the game has to constantly read from the game disk. Considdering that hard drives read at much faster speeds, PS2 players probably wouldn't have to wait as long for their weapons to load.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-07-08 20:36 ]</font>

pikachief
Jul 8, 2007, 07:07 PM
if it had a hard drive it would cost extra and it doesnt http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

if it did have HD support we could also get downloadable content! but it doesnt so oh well.

Kion
Jul 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
So then ST really knows how to screw things up. They have no HD support for PS2 even though 100% off the PS2 players have a network adapter meaning they could definately use it. Which means that they have it on there for the DNAS so that no one can copy the game, even though they don't have a CD key on the pc version.
Something seems very wrong to me.

Rashiid
Jul 8, 2007, 07:16 PM
ST :

"they want....H...D...?"
"tha hell is that?"
"sounds like work. fck it."

pikachief
Jul 8, 2007, 07:18 PM
yea they can easily add a HD and have downloadable content so we didnt have to buy expansions, we would actually get actual NEW stuff on updates and our $10 a month would actually be worth it! and PS2 wouldnt lag

but no sega is cheap

Kion
Jul 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
On 2007-07-08 17:16, Rashiid wrote:
ST :

"they want....H...D...?"
"tha hell is that?"
"sounds like work. fck it."

Point taken. (i lol'd)

Criss
Jul 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
"HD" support could mean two things:
1- Hard Drive
2- High Definition

Unfortunately we're not getting any of those.

McLaughlin
Jul 8, 2007, 08:10 PM
On 2007-07-08 17:15, Kion wrote:
So then ST really knows how to screw things up. They have no HD support for PS2 even though 100% off the PS2 players have a network adapter meaning they could definately use it. Which means that they have it on there for the DNAS so that no one can copy the game, even though they don't have a CD key on the pc version.
Something seems very wrong to me.

You apparently don't know much. The Hard Drive is incompatible with Slim PS2s. IE, most everyone who has one. Not even Sega is dumb enough to lock most of its PS2 playerbase out of the game they bought and played for a year.

What the hell did the Network Adapter have anything to do with this?

Greaus
Jul 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
PS2 doesn't get an option for high def?! That stinks. Glad I'm playing in 1080i on my 360.

BloodDragoon
Jul 8, 2007, 08:24 PM
network adapter is needed for older ps2's like mine and has the connector needed to use an HDD as well.

Kion
Jul 8, 2007, 08:37 PM
On 2007-07-08 18:10, Obsidian_Knight
You apparently don't know much. The Hard Drive is incompatible with Slim PS2s. IE, most everyone who has one. Not even Sega is dumb enough to lock most of its PS2 playerbase out of the game they bought and played for a year.

slim ps2 can be conected to a HD via one of the USB ports.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-07-08 18:39 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jul 8, 2007, 08:55 PM
On 2007-07-08 18:37, Kion wrote:

No actually, it can't. Why do you think the Hard Drive has been discontinued?

Which bring up another point. How are people going to get one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-07-08 19:00 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jul 8, 2007, 09:03 PM
"HD" support could mean two things:
1- Hard Drive
2- High Definition

As I understand it, HD generally only means "High Definition". The abbreviation for a Hard Drive is HDD - Hard Disk Drive. Though apperantly typing an extra D is too much work for some, hence the occasional confusion.

Also, if they wanted, Sega could release either an extremely large memory card or a USB external HDD. Nothing big, maybe 1 or 2 gig. 5 if they want to have the game cache data to the HDD additionally. That would only cost maybe $10 - so they could price the expansion at $60 with the additional hardware. The PC version would still cost $50, but it'd probably match the price with the 360 version (that has no additional hardware) since nearly all of their new releases are $60.

That is, assuming they price the expansion the same as the original release. Which I assume they will, since they plan to package the complete game on the disk along with the expansion material. (Though they may cut the price for the 360 version if you opt to download the expansion data via LIVE)

Kion
Jul 8, 2007, 10:34 PM
Good point Sinue, I changed the title of the thread. Also any hard drive works with the PS2, i don't think it neccessarily has to be one released by sony.

Also a as recap many online PS2 games have HDD support. Socom 2 and 3 you can download new maps to the hard drive. Resident Evil Outbreak allows you to save onto the hard drive to reduce load times as does Final Fantasy 11. Dirge of Cerberous uses the HDD as well and several more Japanese games that I can't remember at the moment.

I guess square just takes better care of it's online gamers than ST.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2007-07-08 20:37 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jul 8, 2007, 10:38 PM
On 2007-07-08 20:34, Kion wrote:
Good point Sinue, I changed the title of the thread. Also any hard drive works with the PS2, i don't think it neccessarily has to be one released by sony.

Also a as recap many online PS2 games have HDD support. Socom 2 and 3 you can download new maps to the hard drive. Resident Evil Outbreak allows you to save onto the hard drive to reduce load times as does Final Fantasy 11.

Actually, it does have to be the one designed by Sony (or Sega, if they were to go that route), which is why it doesn't work with Slim PS2s. It wasn't designed for that.

And I'm fairly sure that the games you listed are just about the only ones that support the HDD, with FFXI making it mandatory.

February
Jul 8, 2007, 10:39 PM
You aren't following this very well. Sony has dropped support for the HDD. Sega CAN'T use it.

Niloklives
Jul 8, 2007, 10:50 PM
On 2007-07-08 18:55, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2007-07-08 18:37, Kion wrote:

No actually, it can't. Why do you think the Hard Drive has been discontinued?

Which bring up another point. How are people going to get one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-07-08 19:00 ]</font>

Actually...the slimlines use USB 2.0. they are 100% capable of using HDDs. there's 3rd party software that lets you play PS2 games off of HDDs and it has full support for external devices on the slimline. Sony however does not make this official nor does it offer any sort of support for this. HDD support on any PS2 has officially been dropped as a result.

On another note, the net adapter for PS2 shipped with FFXi long ago which also came with a HDD(FFxi was preinstalled on it) so most large form factor PS2 users have a HDD by default if they have a net adapter. PS2 slims on the other hand have no such device and are not given the option outright. so if ST offered downloadable content, many slimline PS2 users would be in an uproar and that's AFTER sega was sued back to 1986 by sony.

[b]On 2007-07-08 20:38, Obsidian_Knight

Actually, it does have to be the one designed by Sony (or Sega, if they were to go that route), which is why it doesn't work with Slim PS2s. It wasn't designed for that.

And I'm fairly sure that the games you listed are just about the only ones that support the HDD, with FFXI making it mandatory.

you can use any 3.5" ata HDD on the large models. the sony model just uses a special chasis to secure it. but I assure you the slimlines will detect and read USB 2.0 external HDDs given that drivers can be located when the game starts up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NIloklives on 2007-07-08 20:56 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jul 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think it does Obsidian. Sony's USB ports allow for any USB device to use them. They're not proprietary technology. So the only thing the PS2 is lacking in order to make use of a HDD, is the drivers involved. With the 40gig PS2 HDD, the PS2 was (at one time) designed to incorporate it. Therefore it had the drivers included into the PS2's OS - so that you could use it independently outside of a game. (though all you can do is transfer save games from a PSX or PS2 memory card for storage)

Now, if PSU:AoI were to include drivers for a USB HDD to load when it started up, then it could indeed use that HDD. However the HDD would be useless outside of PSU. This isn't the case for FFXI though, since FFXI is installed on and executed from the HDD. There's no way (currently) to load the drivers to recognise the HDD and launch the game.

ShinMaruku
Jul 8, 2007, 10:59 PM
I say let my bloody PS3 atleast have some support for the HDD I upscale like crazy, give me some leeway here.

Niloklives
Jul 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
they can't because too many people would complain and (almost) no one will update to a PS3 just to get content on PSU

McLaughlin
Jul 8, 2007, 11:06 PM
Huh. I wasn't aware either PS2 would detect a USB HDD. Learn something new every day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BloodDragoon
Jul 8, 2007, 11:08 PM
HDD support? well Front Mission Online and 1 other game also had the HDD as a required piece of hardware in Japan... I think that 1 other game was made by Sega but I'm not sure on that one...

Kion
Jul 9, 2007, 12:28 AM
On 2007-07-08 21:01, NIloklives wrote:
they can't because too many people would complain and (almost) no one will update to a PS3 just to get content on PSU

I don't think people would complain about having the option of having less lag. Besides I'm talking about support for the PS2.

Also Drige of Cirberous came out not too long ago. Did Sony decide to ditch the HDD support in since then?

Niloklives
Jul 9, 2007, 12:33 AM
maybe I misread...for some reason I thought they meant downloadable content for everyone but slimline PS2 users. you'll have to enlighten me about dirge though...what did it do with the PS2 HDD?

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2007, 12:39 AM
Just give AoI CD keys.

-Give 360 Downloadable content
-Give PC Downloadable content
-Give PS3 Downloadable content
-Have PS2 users call in(or ship it direct to them from manufacturer on decent shipping at no cost to the player automatically in advance) to recieve new game discs with the new content on it.

You could even have the content available a month or so in advance to make sure everyone on PS2 gets it via mail, and all the downloaders have time to download it before it ticks for release.

But hey, this requires effort and top notch customer sales reps to handle the angry phone calls when the disc is a day late, so ST won't do it...

EDIT: Pardon me for not specifying why they should leave CD keys on AoI. This would make it possible to verify the user and validate an order for a content CD. Those who downloaded shouldn't get the service free. CD Key it please.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-07-08 22:43 ]</font>

Niered
Jul 9, 2007, 12:43 AM
On 2007-07-08 22:39, Garnet_Moon wrote:
Just give AoI CD keys.

-Give 360 Downloadable content
-Give PC Downloadable content
-Give PS3 Downloadable content
-Have PS2 users call in(or ship it direct to them from manufacturer on decent shipping at no cost to the player) to recieve new game discs with the new content on it.

You could even have the content available a month or so in advance to make sure everyone on PS2 gets it via mail, and all the downloaders have time to download it before it ticks for release.

But hey, this requires effort and top notch customr sales reps to handle the angry phone calls when the disc is a day late, so ST won't do it...

It also requires an assinine amount of cash. Something that our little 10 bux a month doesnt cover.

Do you want my complete and honest opinion? No offense to PS2 players, I love ya'll, but I think Sega should drop you. Actually no, what Sega should do is allow you to take the proof of purchase you have with your PS2 copy of the game and redeem it online for a free download of PC PSU, then they should merge the PC and 360 servers, meaning that we could in fact get "true" downloadable content.

Sure, youd have alot of angry customers because they dont have a good enough PC, or what have you, but youd also have alot of REALLY REALLY happy customers.

Theoretically.

Kion
Jul 9, 2007, 12:46 AM
I read more about it before but a quick google search revealed that it allowed you to play multiplayer online by downloading maps. The online was scrapped for the US release and replaced with extra missions.

And I forgot to mention my intentions with this thread. I first got PSU for the PC but my graphics card is terrible and I could onlt play with extreme lag, so I exchanged it for the PS2 version. If with the long shot AoI had HDD support I would stck to the PS2, since it's probably not, looks I'm going to have to shell out to upgrade my PC.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2007, 12:47 AM
A good number of people I know on PS2 have it on that platform because they don't have a decent enough PC.

PSU needs a helluva good system to run slow-down free on PC. Hell, my old PC had a slow down spike when I was in the dust cloud below Zoal Goug. Now I don't have that problem, but not everyone has the patience(or credit) to start and keep up with payments on a $2000 PC like me. That one screwed over my milk money... ;-;

Niloklives
Jul 9, 2007, 03:41 AM
if sega drops PS2, they'll drop PC as well; there are WAY more PS2 players than there are PC. why would they drop a higher income market share to appease the smallest corner of the market?

Alisha
Jul 9, 2007, 04:15 AM
the reason sony dropped HDD support is because it can incredibly easily be used as a tool of piracy,though i doubt they would ever admit that. technically i could run PSU off my HDD if i could figure out how to solve the DNAS issue. heck if you dont mind tinkering with your ps2 you can hook up most IDE drives to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2007-07-09 02:17 ]</font>

BloodDragoon
Jul 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
On 2007-07-08 22:47, Garnet_Moon wrote:
A good number of people I know on PS2 have it on that platform because they don't have a decent enough PC.

PSU needs a helluva good system to run slow-down free on PC. Hell, my old PC had a slow down spike when I was in the dust cloud below Zoal Goug. Now I don't have that problem, but not everyone has the patience(or credit) to start and keep up with payments on a $2000 PC like me. That one screwed over my milk money... ;-;

Only $2000? >.>

Criss
Jul 9, 2007, 07:15 AM
I personally play on PC, even if I do have both a slim PS2 and a PS3. I have a good PC, a controller, and I can take screenshots with a single button. So frankly, I never informed myself much about PS2 hard drives.

But about PCs, you wouldn't really need to get a whole new one and pay thousands. Simply buying a newer graphics card should do the job to run the PC version properly. And/or RAM.

But in any case, the main problem is that ST has already released the game on the "no HDD use" idea, and that a simple expansion wouldn't justify totally reworking that system. I would expect the next online Phantasy Star series on PS3 and PC to use the HDD in 4~6 years or so though. >.>

Mystil
Jul 9, 2007, 07:50 AM
2,000$ computer?? What the fuck? My brand new computer thats coming will cost 1,377 and it's top of the line and can run all the current PC games at max saetting(helllloooooo Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR2). If you're going to buy a computer, get it costume built. Factory premade ones are designed to suck your wallet away and will suck balls when it comes to running game apps.

Niered
Jul 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
On 2007-07-09 01:41, NIloklives wrote:
if sega drops PS2, they'll drop PC as well; there are WAY more PS2 players than there are PC. why would they drop a higher income market share to appease the smallest corner of the market?

Im totally aware of this, but over all, it would make for a much better gaming experience.

Kion
Jul 9, 2007, 10:34 AM
On 2007-07-09 02:15, Alisha wrote:
the reason sony dropped HDD support is because it can incredibly easily be used as a tool of piracy,though i doubt they would ever admit that. technically i could run PSU off my HDD if i could figure out how to solve the DNAS issue. heck if you dont mind tinkering with your ps2 you can hook up most IDE drives to it.

Right on target. What annoys me is that if they were concerned about priracy, they would have put a freakign cd key on the PC version.
I got story and extra mode to work on my HDD and it runs seemlessly, load screens just blink when going into a mission or changing areas and weapon loads are instant. The DNAS requires that the ID data be read of a disk, so unless there's support, I doubt it would be possible.

Akaimizu
Jul 9, 2007, 10:44 AM
On 2007-07-09 05:50, Mystil wrote:
2,000$ computer?? What the fuck? My brand new computer thats coming will cost 1,377 and it's top of the line and can run all the current PC games at max saetting(helllloooooo Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR2). If you're going to buy a computer, get it costume built. Factory premade ones are designed to suck your wallet away and will suck balls when it comes to running game apps.

I wish I had one of those. It wasn't long ago when I was happy to get my brand new spankin' fast Geforce 7600. Boy does that not do so well, now.

Niloklives
Jul 9, 2007, 10:44 AM
the dnas issue is actually really easy to solve. there's software to patch the dnas on an ISO disk image. at that point you can burn it, or transferit to your hdd and play online.

BloodDragoon
Jul 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
On 2007-07-09 05:50, Mystil wrote:

Try 8gb of memory and a pair of SLI'd 8800's... >.>

IF you want a factory premade my suggestion is to check their clearance sections first. Sometimes you'll find PC's priced at $500 or less that carry the same specs as the premier or current model they're selling for $1200-$1400 for no reason other than they discontinued the case design.

Little more on topic though I remember some 3rd party PS2 peripheral utilizing what looked to be a USB flash drive. At the very least if they did that it would be possible to have downloadable content without an actual HDD. Just a random thought...

MrNomad
Jul 9, 2007, 06:11 PM
On 2007-07-09 07:52, Niered wrote:

On 2007-07-09 01:41, NIloklives wrote:

Im totally aware of this, but over all, it would make for a much better gaming experience.

When the expansion comes out, we could be seeing a lot more pc than ps2, so who knows, there can be an arrangement then... ;3 BTW, how do you know there are more ps2 than pc players?

Sekani
Jul 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
On 2007-07-08 22:43, Niered wrote:

Do you want my complete and honest opinion? No offense to PS2 players, I love ya'll, but I think Sega should drop you. Actually no, what Sega should do is allow you to take the proof of purchase you have with your PS2 copy of the game and redeem it online for a free download of PC PSU, then they should merge the PC and 360 servers, meaning that we could in fact get "true" downloadable content.

Sure, youd have alot of angry customers because they dont have a good enough PC, or what have you, but youd also have alot of REALLY REALLY happy customers.

Theoretically.

If they did this I'd be willing to set aside my reservations about a server merge. Without the PS2 holding the game back, the potential would be nearly unlimited.

Unfortunately, this will always be a PS2 game, because Japan says so.

Niloklives
Jul 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
how do I know? check around and get back to me. Seriously. wear a rabol rappy and join random parties. see how many actually notice you have one on

KidoKresh
Jul 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
So I'm guessing that the PS2 runs very slow?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KidoKresh on 2007-07-09 17:01 ]</font>

Niloklives
Jul 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
nah...PS2 is fine except loading times are bit slower and there are some places where you get slowdown. but normal play wise it's usually just fine.

KidoKresh
Jul 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
Another question... Does PS2 players and PC players play together??? I ask just because i always see PC/PS2

Kent
Jul 9, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, PC and PS2 users play on the same servers, but they're separated from the Xbox 360 servers.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2007, 08:42 PM
On 2007-07-09 05:04, BloodDragoon wrote:

On 2007-07-08 22:47, Garnet_Moon wrote:

Only $2000? >.>

Well, it was more like 1,500.

AMD Athlon 64bit Dual Core 2.6ghz
2gig ram
Windows Vista Premium
nVidia GeForce 8800

A speaker/sub woofer surround sound system I probably shouldn't have added(haven't used it except once), wireless keyboard/mouse(dumped for wired versions... lolbatteries), headphones with god knows how many knobs and sound settings, TV tuners, remote control for the media center, software I probably didn't need because I haven't even used it yet, etc etc.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
Just to add onto the whole PS2 hard disk thing, does anyone remember this little jem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2_Linux