PDA

View Full Version : Photon Weaponry

Lonzell
Jul 9, 2007, 10:01 PM
Question. I forget because I haven't played Storymode in awhile but... is Photon Weaponry activated by a person's life energy? I think I remember Ethan's PM telling him something along those lines near the begining of the game after your first run in with Magashi and learning about A-Photon reactors. If that is true, then how in the heck does Casts use photonic weaponry?

Are casts even considered sentient life forms? I mean they do have their own society now, but i'm not gonna think too much on that or else i'll get absorbed into all of the theories tossed out via the Ghost in the Shell series.

Shishi-O
Jul 9, 2007, 10:06 PM
a bay bay http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
I never cared for GitS's theories, but if it moves and thinks on its own, it's sentient in my book.

Rizen
Jul 9, 2007, 10:08 PM
Its been a while since I played Story...but I will do my best to recall what they are. Photons are basically living natural energy of the universe (the force reference?). There are many ways to harness photons, main way in the Gurhal system is through binding them to special metal. Although, with enough training, one is able to harness photons abilities such as Technics.

As for CASTs being able to use Photons, CASTs are able to use photons because of their development in technology. CASTs now have organic-like bodies which allows them to have personality, thoughts, and a conscious, which old CASTs lacked.

Well, this is from memory and may not be completely correct. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Chuck_Norris
Jul 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
Lol no,

photon energy is made by photon genrators(SP?) that came from the angent beings who lived in gahral 1000's of years ago, the photon energy is what made the SEED attack in the first place in fact, Thats why the past gahralors died out, Killed by the SEED.

Rizen
Jul 9, 2007, 10:16 PM
I thought that was the background for A-Photons?

Anyway, theres an NPC, I recall, on the 2nd or 3rd floor in the back on Offline Story that constantly talks about the origins and theories of Photons. Reason I know this? I got bored after my 3rd play through and started talking to every NPC each chapter. XD

This topic gives me another reason to play Offline story again...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rizen on 2007-07-09 20:18 ]</font>

Chuck_Norris
Jul 9, 2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry, What i meant to say in short was, their like lightsabers in star wars, Just a weapon anyone can use.

Zer0_ConvoY
Jul 9, 2007, 11:18 PM
well I'm pretty sure casts are powered by some form of photon energy, so if its the naturally occuring photon energy that occures in all life that activates the weapon (like Kuabara in yu-yu-hakuso(sp?)) then whatever powers the cast is the catalyst to activate the weapon.

Almighty_Envy
Jul 9, 2007, 11:34 PM
George Lucas got ripped off...

Niered
Jul 9, 2007, 11:38 PM
On 2007-07-09 21:34, Almighty_Envy wrote:

The original Phantasy Star games are HEAVILY star wars influenced. Much more so even than the newer ones.

As I recall, Photons are basically a naturally occurring energy source, often linked to being "spiritual". As I recall, the Holy Light religion is based on the idea that a persons soul after death turns into photons.

XDeviousX
Jul 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
On 2007-07-09 21:38, Niered wrote:

The original Phantasy Star games are HEAVILY star wars influenced. Much more so even than the newer ones.

As I recall, Photons are basically a naturally occurring energy source, often linked to being "spiritual". As I recall, the Holy Light religion is based on the idea that a persons soul after death turns into photons.

You lose at the internet...

The original ps games were not star wars influenced, but pso was... Phantasy star I-IV are more fantasy then science when it comes to science fantasy games. It would be more accurate to say PSO and PSU are references to the old Phantasy Star games then an actual Phantasy Star cannon...

There were no laser swords in PS I-IV (Well, there were a couple higher lvl swords that had laser blades...) and there were no references to photons and a-photons...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-07-09 22:03 ]</font>

Niered
Jul 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
On 2007-07-09 22:02, XDeviousX wrote:

The original ps games were not star wars influenced, but pso was... Phantasy star I-IV are more fantasy then science when it comes to science fantasy games. It would be more accurate to say PSO and PSU are references to the old Phantasy Star games then an actual Phantasy Star cannon...

There were no laser swords in PS I-IV (Well, there were a couple higher lvl swords that had laser blades...) and there were no references to photons and a-photons...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-07-09 22:03 ]</font>

No, you sir fail at the internets:

http://www.phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Connections_to_Star_Wars

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 10, 2007, 12:09 AM
Note that only PSII of the classic Phantasy Star games was high-tech, and even that had jack shit to do with Star Wars. PSI was the heaviest in fantasy, what with floating castles, mages talking cats and Medusa coexisting with the spaceports and laserguns. In PSII, magic and myth became forgotten or something. PSIII was a spinoff with the most fantasy-like setting of them all but was still higher-tech and lower-fantasy than PSI. PSIV was when the original legends resurfaced, along with the technogies of PSII (and kinda PSIII). None of them were very Star Wars influenced. That wasn't until PSO and those stupidass lightsabers that were only different by color (unless rare) and even sounded like the Star Wars lightsabers. Frankly, I'm surprised the handguns didn't sound like TIE fighters or something.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
On 2007-07-09 22:08, Niered wrote:

Have you even PLAYED the original Phantasy Stars? Rieko may have been heavily influenced by Star Wars, but aside from the Imperial Stormtroopers at Camineet and the Spaceport, and MAYBE the guns that Odin used, there was no Star Wars flavor at all.

XDeviousX
Jul 10, 2007, 12:14 AM

You use a wikipedia article as a defense to your point? Have you played Phantasy star 1, 2, 3, or 4? They are nowhere near star wars in scope, story, technology, or weapons. PSO is star wars like, as for your link, it states what I said, PSO references psI-IV but there is no direct link. Even ST states there are no direct links between the original PS series and PSO, and no link to pso and psu (at least there wasn't)

you score a 57% on the internet, just barely failing, but failing non the less...

Niered
Jul 10, 2007, 12:16 AM
On 2007-07-09 22:12, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

Have you even PLAYED the original Phantasy Stars? Rieko may have been heavily influenced by Star Wars, but aside from the Imperial Stormtroopers at Camineet and the Spaceport, and MAYBE the guns that Odin used, there was no Star Wars flavor at all.

Opinion Jife. Rieko stated in interviews that there was much inspiration drawn from the Star Wars universe, some of which I linked to already.

For me to say they were more inspired then than they are now was a mistake, but their is no denying that their is a bit of lucas's shine in the oldies as well.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
Okay, let me think on this...the Great Light and the Profound Darkness from which the Dark Force originates, well...Dark Force is like "The Dark Side of the Force". Aside from that, Lassic's stormtroopers and Lassic's sheer age ("Would you beat up an old man?") are the only things I could think of for Star Wars flavor. Shit, even Star Wars Galaxies in its early days felt more Star Wars like. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

XDeviousX
Jul 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
On 2007-07-09 22:16, Niered wrote:

On 2007-07-09 22:12, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

Opinion Jife. Rieko stated in interviews that there was much inspiration drawn from the Star Wars universe, some of which I linked to already.

For me to say they were more inspired then than they are now was a mistake, but their is no denying that their is a bit of lucas's shine in the oldies as well.

If you think PS 1-4 has a star wars feel then you should remove the Nei reference from your name...

PSo is star wars like, but PSo isn't like the original PS games, period...

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 10, 2007, 12:27 AM
Well, perhaps just because she was influenced by STar Wars doesn't mean that she'd go and directly rip things off. I would bet that Star Wars gave her the general ideas of things, but she was creative enough to twist them around and hide that Star Wars influence extraordinarily well. Of course, having allt hat fantasy stuff helped big time.

Sinue_v2
Jul 10, 2007, 01:08 AM
Dark Force is like "The Dark Side of the Force".

No, because the Dark Side of the force was never personified. Dark Force has, for the most part, always been more inspired by H.P. Lovecraftian lore than by George Lucas. Even in PSO, Dark Falz was referred to as a god - a disembodied and eternal consciousness who's main goal the manipulation of corporeal beings to do his will and lead to a time when it's power can be released fully. This is a direct reference to the Lovecraftian Dark Force/Falz/PD of Phantasy Star IV. (reference, not a link)

I would argue that Phantasy Star I definately fells more like Star Wars in it's ambience, and there's multiple points of correlation or even to the point of direct ripoff. Phantasy Star Online, however, has a lesser but more readily obvious references/ripoff by using the Photon weapons which resemble light sabers. If you were to remove the light sabers/weapons, the "FOrce" moniker, ect - there's really not much to connect it to Star Wars, expecially when compairing it to Episode I - which was new and popular at the time, hence the Darth Maul double saber. PSO's more high-tech and futuristic settings are more of a throw back to Phantasy Star II's design than a reference to Star Wars. Indeed, they went back and referenced a lot of the locations from PS games when making PSO - such as the Sunken Palace when creating the VR Temple (which is the most obvious reference) for Battle Mode.

As for the rest of the original PS games - they took on a life of their own after PSI and made their own distinct storylines and styles, largely because the development team grew significantly - and even changed development teams at one point.

And to get back on topic - my understanding is that Photons in PSU are a naturally occuring phenomena that Gurhalians have harnessed for their energy production needs. They are a spiritual energy though, and can be used as a catalyst to be used with a casters own spirit energy to create techics and photon arts. The G.O.G (obviously) worships them because of this property, and believe that they are a part of the Great Light. Though it's not clear weither or not they worship Photons as a spiritual force of nature, or weither they believe that the "Great Light" is in some form a singular conciousness. The actual meat of their religion still remains pretty undefined.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-09 23:12 ]</font>

Lonzell
Jul 13, 2007, 09:12 PM
lmao how did this go from the power behind photon weaponry to star wars?

DurakkenX
Jul 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
CASTs are powered by high-density photons. Their neural pathways are made of this high-density photon material. They must recharge every so often. They also have components that are fairly organic in structure but are synthetic. Their body is made of a very strong alloy that is resistant to just about every form of non-photonic penetration. This alloy is also obviously coated with a flammable oil compound, probably to help cool itself or to keep it from breaking down from friction.

Photonic weapons are high-density photons that require high precision to accurately mold the blade. The handle out puts a hardened energy barrier that allows for it to maintain it's strength so that it doesn't break when used...but high density photons are probably less structurally sound than glass. The barrier is powered by the high density photon blade, and is what cuts...the reason for grinding the edge is so that the barrier micron thickness has something to do with the barrier can't get thinner to become sharper and stronger...This barrier is largely controlled by the handle, but is activated by the user through that whole spiritual connection thing...

Photons themselves were discovered on Parum, but not in large quantities, but then later in large quantities in the upper atmospher of Neudaiz....

A-photons were discovered in the relics and later found out to be the original creation of the ancient civ... however A-photon reactors are producable by the current ghuralians though it is still in it's experimental stage...

A large chunk of photon blade mechanics and how casts works is based on observation, but some of it is told in the story of the game

Lonzell
Jul 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
Good lookin' out Durakken. Shoulda just asked you to begin with. Btw, after all these years, wtf don't I have you on my msn msg? Or do I already and just forgot?

DurakkenX
Jul 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
had at one time and then you either blocked me or one of us removed the other i think...

Lonzell
Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm too lazy to block or remove people. Well, unless its a female stalker, which I tended to have a lot of.

DurakkenX
Jul 13, 2007, 10:17 PM
it could have been we were in a group chat that i am thinking of then.

Lonzell
Jul 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
Prolly. I sure as heck wouldn't remember, that's for sure.

Serephim
Jul 13, 2007, 10:23 PM
On 2007-07-09 20:06, Shishi-O wrote:

why do people use that phrase out of context?

EDIT: and you people do know Reiko had nothing to do with PSO?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-13 20:24 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Jul 13, 2007, 10:25 PM
On 2007-07-13 20:23, Serephim wrote:

On 2007-07-09 20:06, Shishi-O wrote:

why do people use that phrase out of context?

EDIT: and you people do know Reiko had nothing to do with PSO?

why are you posting in this thread?

Serephim
Jul 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
1) Im pretty sure most of you dont even know where the hell "a bay bay" even came from.

2) Rieko had nothing to do with PSO/U.

3) @ Niered - you cant use a Wiki article to link one huge fanbase to another. Huge fanbases can find a way to link ANYTHING to something else. Espically an anal fanbase like starwars. I mean Hell, the people have their own religion.

4) @ DurakkenX - bad attempt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-13 20:32 ]</font>

Zer0_ConvoY
Jul 14, 2007, 04:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Zer0ConvoY/PhantasyStarSMS000.jpg
Star Wars AND Lord of the Rings? THAT CAN'T BE!
<.<
>.>
*runs from the flame war*

But seriously yeah Phantasy Star was inspired by Star Wars, there are 4 big influinces in most any scifi today, Issac Asimov, PKD, Star Wars and Star Trek. You can see one of those somewhere in much of scifi, I mean Gundam has laser swords too, but I never saw a 70ft robo-jedi in Star Wars, so woopty doo, everything draws something from somewhere else