PDA

View Full Version : Books

Tykwa
Jul 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
So, I want to know, What is your favorite book, also please list the ones you have really enjoyed!

So, i'm currently read the last book in the series of Sabriel, which I recommend for anyone too read as it's a very good series if you like the whole magical thing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I can't wait until I get my hands on the new Harry Potter books, I have enjoyed these and the movies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AlexCraig
Jul 11, 2007, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Rings. That would have to be my favorite novel.
(We aren't talking manga, are we?)

Tykwa
Jul 11, 2007, 02:45 PM
No, books, I might as well make another for Manga

TalHex
Jul 11, 2007, 02:50 PM
This is going to take awhile...
1. The fire keeper series (wolf's blood is my favorite so far)
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Dragon Lance
4. Sabrial
5. Bartholomeus Triology
6. Pendragon Quartet
7. Hitchhiker's Guide series
8. Around Ireland with a Fridge
9. Sovereign Stone triology
10. 9Tail Fox
11. Thorhammer
12. The Secret Texts
13. The Sky People
14. Xenocide
15. Hunted

16. Ender's Game
17. Ender's Shadow
18. The Da Vinci Code
19. Angels and Demons
20. Digital Fortress
21. The Artemis Fowl Series
22. The Supernaturalist
23. Warriors Series
24. Transall Saga
25. The Inheritance Trilogy
26. White Fang
27. Silmerilion
28. The Gate Keeper Series
29. The Dead Zone
30. Wolf at the Door

More Later... (almost done...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TalonKitsune on 2007-07-11 14:58 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Jul 11, 2007, 02:51 PM
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (Doglass Adams)
The Color of Magic (Terry Pratchet)
Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton)
Prey (Michael Crichton)
The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2007-07-11 13:06 ]</font>

Tact
Jul 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
On 2007-07-11 12:51, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, The Color of Magic, Jurassic Park, Prey, The Andromeda Strain.

My favorite also, haven't heard of it, no, no, haven't heard of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Charmander02
Jul 11, 2007, 02:54 PM
I read Childhoods End by Arthur C. Clarke for school.

I liked it, though it is a little old.

Charmander02
Jul 11, 2007, 02:59 PM
Why are we talking about books in FKL?

Seems kinda weird to me.

Weeaboolits
Jul 11, 2007, 03:01 PM
Angels And Demons is also a good book, I forgot to put it on my list. >.>;

*edits*

astuarlen
Jul 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
Pfff, allow me to compare choosing a favorite book to selecting a favorite oxygen molecule; it's simply a task too enormous and futile for me to undertake.
However, I can tell you what books I've read this summer/am reading and highly recommend:

-The Chronicles of Chaos trilogy by John C. Wright (also writes a mean sci-fi novel or several) - an engrossing mix of fantasy, mythology, sci-fi, and awesome
-Aegypt & Love and Sleep (part of a quadrilogy) by John Crowley - genre-defying novels of supercoolity
-Riddle Master (believe this is actually a collected volume representing a trilogy) by Patricia McKillip - more of a straight fantasy story with a healthy dose of fresh ideas and twists to ward off accusations of ordinariness
-Syrup by Max Barry - humorous, relatively light, and fresh tale of marketing misadventures
-The Wood Wife by Terri Windling - a highly atypical contemporary fantasy set in the American Southwest; it's a bit slow at first, but still quite good
-The Dispossessed - Ursula K. LeGuin - utopian/distopian sci-fi
-Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic - Joanne Freeman - nonfiction; I have a minor fascination with early America

These are delicious books! You must eat them!

Sord
Jul 11, 2007, 03:24 PM
well, I really enjoyed the Old Kingdom/Abhorsen Trilogy (read it five times and it's my favorite next to another series I'll mention in a bit) but you're already reading that XD The majority of Garth Nix's other books are good as well.

Simon R. Greens "Something From the Nightside" series is freaking awesome, and is in parralel with the Abhorsen trilogy for being my favorite. The book takes place in a small section of the world where all the magic and gods of the world are real and collide, the Nightisde. Most of which being the darker magic. The series is very macabre, the main character, John Taylor, is a sort of detective for the Nightside. I don't want to get to much into detail, but the series is freaking awesome and a must read IMO. There is also several books out so you'll have plenty of material to read for awhile.

The story kind of goes everwhere, but the Abarat is a pretty cool series. The entire thing is based off of a HUGE collection of painting the author makes, then write the story based on them. It's also the same guy that wrote "Hellraiser" series. The series is incomplete, and there are currently only two books, "Abarat" and "Days of Magic, Nights of War." The series is a young adult series, so it's not as demonic as the other guys stuff, but it is supposed to get darker with each book (and the 2nd book is definitly darker than the first) The world it takes place in (the Abarat) consists of 25 islands, each representing an hour and what the inhabitants associate with it (for example there's an island where it's always party party party.) The 25 island is the "Time out of Time." Pretty much everything in the world is magic and complete humans are very very rare. The paintings in this book are awesome.

If you want some really old classic fantasy you can check out the "Legends of Xanth" series by Piers Anthony. It takes place in a magical world (Xanth) where everyone is born with one magical power. Sometimes the powers can be completely useless, sometime they aren't, some can be enough to conquer places (of which I think only 5 people exist in the series, and most are rulers or keep to themselves and the main guy is the hero of course.) Being old, this series has a ton of books and is most likely over. I've read several but still not all.

While I'm on the subject of classic Orson Scott Card's books are often heralded by sci-fi fanatics. Namely his "Ender's Game" and it's following sequels (like "Speaker of Death"). However, from this author I actually prefer a diffrent series, the "Tales of Alvin Maker" series in which America is in an alternative history where we didn't actually win the revolutionary war, though a small portion of colonies broke off and became the US, and the remaining colonies formed 3 other groups. That's not the important part, just a cool setting. Magic is, once again, very real (suprise, not!) This series probably hangs around 3rd and 4th place, considering I shot through 6 400pg books in a week (one a day.) Obviously, I this one really drew me in. Lots of native american magic, most of the times they are right and the Christian god (or rather the missionaries) are actually the evil guys.

Still going on classics, Phillip K. Dick's cyber-punk books are awesome and usually twisted. He's responsable for pretty much kicking off the genre. Famous works include Blade Runner (originally "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?") and "A Scanner Darkly," both of which were made into movies. Granted, I like just about all his books.

If you want to read philosophy and government, go for George Orwells 1985. It takes place in a dystopian (think anti-utopia) where the world is ruled by three totalitarian governments, which pretty much all act the same and war with one another. But you rarely hear about the war, in fact, you hardly hear about anything the government doesn't want you to. This book was so politically contorversial yet popular some countries banned it from their libraries.

If you like books like 1984, you'll probably like Fahrenheit 451 if you haven't already read it. In that world the government tries to keep the people blissful of the world's problems and burns books to keep down the spread of thoughts and ideas. A Firefighter's job is now to actually burn books. Not surprisingly, the temperature at which books burn is 451 degrees Farenheit.

I could keep yammering on about more and more books, so tell me if you want me to. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

astuarlen
Jul 11, 2007, 04:29 PM
On 2007-07-11 13:24, Sord wrote:
Simon R. Greens "Something From the Nightside" series

This and

While I'm on the subject of classic Orson Scott Card's books are often heralded by sci-fi fanatics. Namely his "Ender's Game" and it's following sequels (like "Speaker of Death"). However, from this author I actually prefer a diffrent series, the "Tales of Alvin Maker" series in which America is in an alternative history where we didn't actually win the revolutionary war, though a small portion of colonies broke off and became the US, and the remaining colonies formed 3 other groups.

this are going on my ever-growing "to read" list. I had severe problems with Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, etc, but this sounds quite nifty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2007-07-11 14:30 ]</font>

Tykwa
Jul 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
Oh another one is the Zombie Guide http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif