PDA

View Full Version : About our PSU character voices JP/US

Sio
Jul 11, 2007, 09:36 PM
I have always wondered something about the voices we get to select for our characters. I know that in the JP version of PSU their character voices actually seem to say stuff and are much more flamboyant and intresting to hear.

Why is it that the US version of PSU they just kinda dumb it down, is it becuase english voices would just sound to corny if they were to have lines? lol Im sure their is plenty of reasons, well have at it people XD (I'd love a link or a video of some sort showing off the JP voices itd be so neat to hear! if anyone has something thatd be great thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

Garnet_Moon
Jul 11, 2007, 09:40 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

Why did we get grunts? Watch that entire clip, then ask yourself that same question.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI ONEGAI

pionear
Jul 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
And it would've been a little expensive for ST to hire more US VA to translate and record all that.

Sio
Jul 11, 2007, 09:46 PM
lol good point, its to bad really,I bet it can be done well if Sega of America were extremly good at their jobs but I shall settle for "they are good enough" (that game looks fun x.x)

ThEoRy
Jul 11, 2007, 10:03 PM
funny how that's the same team that brought us the hauntingly beautiful and nicely voice acted Otogi series

http://youtube.com/watch?v=77v4ymNNQi0

love love love those damn games. The English voices were mostly spot on but I must admit that I do play with the Japanese voices though as that's what I prefer.

Another good example of bad English voice overs would have to be SoulCalibur2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octagon on 2007-07-11 20:04 ]</font>

danny_o
Jul 12, 2007, 01:30 PM
THE SOUL STILL BURNS!

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 12, 2007, 01:45 PM
The girls in the US version of PSU sound like they're enjoying death. (Come on, you know what I mean...)

The girls in the JP version of PSU sound like they are actually sorrowful for their death, and they have last words.

I haven't heard any male characters in the JP version, but most of them in the US version...um...same case as females. >:/

PJ
Jul 12, 2007, 01:52 PM
On 2007-07-12 11:45, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
I can't understand the language, therefore it sounds way better than anything being said in english

Fixed for what you really wanted to say

DikkyRay
Jul 12, 2007, 01:52 PM
lol the orgasm death cry XD

ashley50
Jul 12, 2007, 01:53 PM
hehe...another JP vs. US Voices debate.

JP really put a lot of work on Voice Acting, it's one of the assets to attract buyers (IMO).
US...they don't give a crap.

DikkyRay
Jul 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
double post :/ Oh well.
Even though english voices can sound TERRIBLE and OMG THAT KILLS THE GAME i STILL love hearing stuff in english.
Why? I like hearing things in a language i can understand

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
On 2007-07-12 11:52, PJ wrote:

On 2007-07-12 11:45, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
I can't understand the language, therefore it sounds way better than anything being said in english

Fixed for what you really wanted to say

Was that a smartass remark...?

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 12, 2007, 01:57 PM
I agree http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

To be honest, I'd rather hear someone cuss someone out in English, it's a whole lot funnier than some gibberish you can't understand.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-12 11:58 ]</font>

ashley50
Jul 12, 2007, 01:58 PM
On 2007-07-12 11:54, DikkyRay wrote:

Wait...thay actually say words?
never heard one...

On 2007-07-12 11:57, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:
I agree http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

To be honest, I'd rather hear someone cuss someone out in English, it's a whole lot funnier than some gibberish you can't understand.

yes, Funnier as the VA is sooo....poor.
and I take the "Gibberish you can't Understand" as...nvm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ashley50 on 2007-07-12 12:06 ]</font>

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
JAPANOPHILES! RUN!!!!!

PS - DikkyRay I love your lingo.

We've all clearly established that English voice actors for Japanese games suck. MOST of them anyway. WHO CARES!? I think it's great how English voice actors simulate sarcasm a lot better than Japanese voice actors, and either way, how on earth can you tell if Japanese voice acting is better if you don't understand exactly what they're saying...?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-12 12:05 ]</font>

ashley50
Jul 12, 2007, 02:08 PM
On 2007-07-12 12:04, 360NyTeMaRe wrote:

We've all clearly established that English voice actors for Japanese games suck. MOST of them anyway. WHO CARES!? I think it's great how English voice actors simulate sarcasm a lot better than Japanese voice actors, and either way, how on earth can you tell if Japanese voice acting is better if you don't understand exactly what they're saying...?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 360NyTeMaRe on 2007-07-12 12:05 ]</font>

Eh...some players on PSU actually Understand (somewhat ok) Japanese (I'm one of them)

so yeah...JP is better
I cannot understand a whole sentence but I can figure out a few words from it that will eventually lead to understanding

anyways...I'll stop now before the thread turns into something else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ashley50 on 2007-07-12 12:14 ]</font>

KidoKresh
Jul 12, 2007, 03:37 PM
IDK, but I hope that in the expansion they say something depending on the voice you picked... the JP say "Arigatou" when they are revived...

DikkyRay
Jul 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
On 2007-07-12 11:58, ashley50 wrote:

On 2007-07-12 11:54, DikkyRay wrote:

Wait...thay actually say words?
never heard one...
I was talking about all types of videogames where ppl bitch about it

1. Eh...some players on PSU actually Understand (somewhat ok) Japanese (I'm one of them)

2. so yeah...JP is better
I cannot understand a whole sentence but I can figure out a few words from it that will eventually lead to understanding

3. anyways...I'll stop now before the thread turns into something else.
1. And those players are japanophiles!
not that its a bad thing, but still. Eng > Jap

2. So you understand the language, so it makes it better. THanks for saying everything in english is the greatest thing in the world!

3. No. Not worth the flame

EDIT: better not flame, or make "fun" of weaboos.
Still, jp may sound better, but christ hearing stuff in your native toungue is 10000 times better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DikkyRay on 2007-07-12 13:49 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Jul 12, 2007, 03:45 PM
Japanese is ghey, okay? Just kidding, I love it. As a matter of fact, I hope AoI does add a few actual spoken lines translated straight from Japanese with little to no adjustment.

I love engrish. One of my favorite battle cries is "RETSUGOU!!!!!" so having really, really bad english lines would be just wonderful.

Zeota
Jul 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
Actually the voices for online/extra mode characters were done by the same VA's as the ones in story mode. That's for the JP version, but I'm not sure if it's the same for US.

ashley50
Jul 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
On 2007-07-12 13:44, DikkyRay wrote:
Still, jp may sound better, but christ hearing stuff in your native toungue is 10000 times better.

I guess that excludes me...

PALRAPPYS
Jul 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
On 2007-07-12 13:37, KidoKresh wrote:
IDK, but I hope that in the expansion they say something depending on the voice you picked... the JP say "Arigatou" when they are revived...

Which means "thank you" is that correct?

US voices just moan when they get revived. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sio
Jul 12, 2007, 06:32 PM
Id have to dissagree about "if you cannot understand what they say how can you tell its better" Its extremly obvious, that yes their characters have flare when doing their moves and such. It's clear that the voice has emotion and prounounced in a style. Some of the JP voices simple laughter are just so much more entertaining XD, though then again some can be extremly annoying so its a double edged sword lol But at the end of the day I don't even hear any sound from my tv due to having music on so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif::::::::::

Serephim
Jul 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
On 2007-07-11 19:36, Sio wrote:
I have always wondered something about the voices we get to select for our characters. I know that in the JP version of PSU their character voices actually seem to say stuff and are much more flamboyant and intresting to hear.

Why is it that the US version of PSU they just kinda dumb it down, is it becuase english voices would just sound to corny if they were to have lines? lol Im sure their is plenty of reasons, well have at it people XD (I'd love a link or a video of some sort showing off the JP voices itd be so neat to hear! if anyone has something thatd be great thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif)

I freaking hate the japanese voices, they sound overly corney and VERY annoying. Espically the females and their Force groans.

Im so glad they added in english voices i dont know what to do. They actully sound good. They arnt as freaking annoying as the japanese voices that SCREAM at you everytime you cast a spell.

And no, they dont sound better, they only sound better because you have no clue what their saying. That goes with any language ever, except for maybe German because i hate how that language sounds.

I usually play my games/anime movies in Japanese as they DO sound better, but for me the english voices on this game diddnt suck at all. The only reason they may sound bad during the storymode is because they have to work the translation into the time slot they have for talking. As for network mode, i couldnt STAND this game if those annoying japanese phrases and battle crys activated everytime i casted barta.

Hell, as far as it know it, for network mode the english voices actully sound better. They arnt over or under exxagrated, and they dont sound as cheezy as the jap ones do. Storymode may be a different story, but only because the dialouge is in its native language. Otherwise it would be better in english too.

This game actully is the best VO work sonic team has done since SA2, which had such great voice acting becuase the actors paid little attention to the lip syncing unless they absolutely had to, which is why in SA2 the voices sounded great but sometimes ran into eachother.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-07-12 16:43 ]</font>