PDA

View Full Version : Any news that 360 will get a graphics bump?

DreamLocke
Jul 14, 2007, 10:55 AM
Just because that would be nice if ST decided to polish things up for the 'ol xbox. PC is making us look silly now, and we know the 360 can do much, much better.

DaRkWoLf30
Jul 14, 2007, 11:04 AM
PC will always be better as new graphic cards come out the graphics get better. Xbox360 i doubt will get a graphic bump.

Mystil
Jul 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
LOL, and the PS2 version is blurred like mad.

Appreciate your high resolution quality.

Rashiid
Jul 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
we dont even need one....
JUST GIB US NO DEATH PENELTY

DaRkWoLf30
Jul 14, 2007, 11:31 AM
Lol, Yeah , PS2 need better graphics show how

Mystil
Jul 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
On 2007-07-14 09:21, Rashiid wrote:

We have it already x_x.

Egg99
Jul 14, 2007, 12:25 PM
PS2 doesn't need better graphics... PS2 needs severe optimization improvements. It's bad enough the thing hemorages in four man parties. And don't even get me started on 5+ man groups.

Graphics enhancement? The thing can't even run the graphics as they are now. Broken framerate ftl...

ThEoRy
Jul 14, 2007, 12:32 PM
On 2007-07-14 09:39, Mystil wrote:

On 2007-07-14 09:21, Rashiid wrote:

We have it already x_x.

He means US as in 360 players you lucky bastards.

360NyTeMaRe
Jul 14, 2007, 12:54 PM
The Xbox 360 seems to have the best FACTORY graphics performance I've ever seen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DreamLocke
Jul 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
But there's no reason they can't add AF or the mipmap upgrade. Would be nice...

Parn
Jul 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
Mipmapping and 4x AF are already in the 360 version. If mipmapping wasn't present, there would be some serious spatial aliasing for distant textures like the PS2 version.

DreamLocke
Jul 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
ouch owned. But some of the PC screenies look so yummy I get jealous. And I'm playing on 720p...

Alamar
Jul 14, 2007, 04:38 PM
ok gib rare statues to us pc/ps2 players and you can have graphic bump. lol just kidding. I did read that the 360 version of this game was picked as game editors favorite version of all of them. so yea I guess the 360 has something the others don't. I play on pc and just got a new card last month. my graphics look alot better then b4 so I'm happy.

BanF
Jul 14, 2007, 04:50 PM
No grafx upgrade for the 360.

Parn
Jul 14, 2007, 04:58 PM
You're just looking at a bunch of still screenshots though. Trust me, the 360 version has more advantages than you might think, as I've experienced all three versions of PSU. You have more graphical effects in place on 360 such as when enemies teleport in... the effect is larger and flashier. When enemies go too far from their spawn point and are forced to respawn, a distortion effect is left behind... on PC and PS2, they just blink and disappear. Draw distance for the environment is almost double, even with PC's draw distance set to maximum... you don't get obvious environment pop-up. You also have widescreen support, and a lot of PC users would love to have it. Distant objects and the low resolution backgrounds in all the areas are blurred, making them less distracting. All of this is just graphics... there are sound differences as well, but I'm not going to get into that.

The only time the PC version truly looks better is when you set Anisotropic Filtering to 8x or 16x, and that only applies to the environment textures, ignoring all the other things 360 has going for it. This is PSU on PC with no AF:

http://synbios.net/misc/1.jpg

And this is with 16x AF:

http://synbios.net/misc/2.jpg

Most people don't play with 16x AF though. But I circled the improvement area. The first screenshot doesn't have mipmapping on, but all that does is make the distant textures blurry which looks awful if you ask me, though better than having a ton of texture shimmer if you're unable to support any level of anisotropic filtering. We get 4x Anisotropic Filtering for free, so while not up to 16x's level of awesome quality, we've got it good.

Long story short, we really do have the best looking version at the moment.

ThEoRy
Jul 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
On 2007-07-14 14:58, Parn wrote:

Long story short, we really do have the best looking version at the moment.

Oh?

Would that be because............

YOU are on it????

lol

ThEoRy over and out!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octagon on 2007-07-14 15:17 ]</font>

DreamLocke
Jul 14, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks, very informative! I appreciate the screenshots, too. You know, they really should have a screenshot functions for 360...FFXI has it. But they have that Playonline thing that saves it to the server.

I seriously forgot about the distortion effect, draw distance and wide-screen. You kind of take those things for granted after a while.

But it still would be nice if ST would upgrade us to 8x AF or even 16x AF. The 360 could easily handle it.

Fredrick
Jul 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
On 2007-07-14 09:04, DaRkWoLf30 wrote:
PC will always be better as new graphic cards come out the graphics get better. Xbox360 i doubt will get a graphic bump.

As of right now, the 360 is quite a bit more powerful than most people's computer. You would need a VERY expensive computer to run Gears of War on a PC as well as the 360 does.

Having a computer with specs that match a console wont be able to run a game nearly as well as the console. Can you imagine a computer with a 100 MHz GPU, 333 MHz processor, and 32 MB of RAM running PSU? It wouldn't even be close.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fredrick on 2007-07-14 15:37 ]</font>

Aralia
Jul 14, 2007, 06:19 PM
well obviously... Cause a computer with those specs wouldn't even be able to handle Windows XP.

Computers need higher specs because of the fact it needs to run itself under normal circumstances all while supporting the game.

A console only needs to run the OS, no background processes needed to run the CPU.. Many other reasons of course... Internet connection, sound and video, and many other things.

Consoles only need to run themselves, power themselves, and read the disc.. PC's need to run everything at once.