PDA

View Full Version : JP manual...

DurakkenX
Jul 15, 2007, 10:17 PM
If I scanned and posted the JP manual and the visual book would anyone be willing to translate it... It messes up the binding doing it so if noone translates it becomes worthless to scan it... plus it's like 80 pages

Kion
Jul 16, 2007, 01:27 AM
i could give it a try. i need an excuse to be practicing my japanese anyway.

DaRkWoLf30
Jul 16, 2007, 01:38 AM
Wow 80 pages, I wouldn't mind seeing them though.

DurakkenX
Jul 16, 2007, 01:57 AM
it's like a 60pg manual and then the visual book is like another 20, but it has text too

Kion
Jul 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
see if you can scan a page with out messing up the binding. Just to get some of the text. If i can translate that, then i'll go ahead and do the whole book.

Notos
Jul 16, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ask one of the admin for premission before you scan and post them. Not sure if PSOW would get in trouble since I'm sure the visual book is copyrighted.

A2K
Jul 16, 2007, 11:39 AM
The line is often hazy when it comes to this sort of thing, but posting the scans on the forum would definitely cross it, unfortunately.

DurakkenX
Jul 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
why the would posting scans of a manual be a violation of anything. That makes no sense what-so-ever and as far as I know there is nothing that copyrights it against translating and posting. As far as the visual book parts have already been posted so... why didn't those have probs.

Kion
Jul 16, 2007, 04:44 PM
The art book is probably copy writed,but the manual for a game everyone here owns I wouldn't see a problem with that. Except, I don't think translating the manual would do much. Manuals are gnerally basic game controls and there's already translated information about luck and other things from early on in the guides section on PSU section of the left bar.

A2K
Jul 16, 2007, 05:26 PM
In the United States all original work falls under copyright laws the moment it's created, actually. The owner is granted all sorts of rights, among them the sole right to copy/distribute said work. Diving head first into the intricacies of it all is outside the scope of the matter, though--the issue here is whether or not this sort of activity falls under what's known as "fair use," one particular exception to copyright laws: if the individuals taking are doing so for noncommercial/educational purposes, if they haven't actually taken too much, etc. Generally speaking a person or company might let someone get away with taking their work if the advantages outweigh the costs, like say, if it leads to further promotion of it.

Full page scans of an entire book you have to go out and purchase being posted on a public forum for everyone to download and distribute, though? That's likely going to set off all sorts of alarms.

Ehh, just an example, say I transcribed the next Harry Potter book and posted it all here, for the purpose of "translating it to German" or whatever. No doubt the publisher would have a problem with that, right? I just gave everyone here a free copy of the book.

Hm, that was a lot more long-winded than I intended it to be.

Kion
Jul 16, 2007, 05:42 PM
long stroy short, stay on the safe side?

also i predict internet browsers will come with a quiz on copy write law every time it launches that won't let you on use the internet until you pass it.