PDA

View Full Version : Stupid World News Tonight!!!!!

Vantamiath
Dec 21, 2002, 02:29 PM
My Xmas is ruined, all because of the media.

It was a peacefull day in the vast spacings of my basement, playing PSO with glee. Then all of the sudden, my mother pays me a visit to my room. She stands in front of the TV flipping through my PS2 games...I said to her...

"Whatcha' doin' mom?"
"Oh, Im just interested..." (Yeah right my mom doesnt even know how to START a computer.)

She then asks me if I have Grand theft auto, and if you own a PS2 I dont think their is a way not to have it. I say...no. I assumed that she saw something on Oprah or that satonic Dr. Phil about violence in videogames...nope. It was the WORLD NEWS TONIGHT, displaying the demons of grand theft auto. She told me if she ever found it she would throw away all my systems, my dad of course agreed with everything she said.

So now it is in hiding, waiting to be found. Stupid media!!! parents simply cant relate to games, and she seems to think this game will affect me...It has. FOR THE BETTER!!! nothing like coming home from school to do some vigilante in GTA.

Tom Brokaw...I'll get yoooUoUoUoUOou!!!!

Nawms
Dec 21, 2002, 02:45 PM
You better hide that thing well. How bad will it be, 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, if your mom finds it.

Vol_Opt
Dec 21, 2002, 02:50 PM
.. Bzzt..

.. This unit completely agrees with these statements. This unit submits a hypothesis that parents are simply too lethargic to do basic research on the questionable video games, and thus go on assumptions provided by a media system that promotes 'family values', which is something this unit finds completely irrelevant, as it's a blatant attempt to force all families to one fitting. From research in the field, this unit believes that such fitting is impossible and impractical, and does not trust provided media as a result.

.. This unit notes that the media puts forth this irrelevance because of the notion that has somehow manifested within their thoughts that the buyer doesn't know what they're getting into, and that children are unknowing of what reality and fantasy are. This unit blames various occurances within the United States for this nonsense, and notes that it will continue for the forseeable future because of this fear.

.. This unit will note that a suitable substitute for news programs is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. This program is frequent with content and timeliness, and ignores said 'family values'.

.. Bzzt..

Vantamiath
Dec 21, 2002, 02:56 PM
On 2002-12-21 11:50, Vol_Opt wrote:
.. Bzzt..

.. This unit completely agrees with these statements. This unit submits a hypothesis that parents are simply too lethargic to do basic research on the questionable video games, and thus go on assumptions provided by a media system that promotes 'family values', which is something this unit finds completely irrelevant, as it's a blatant attempt to force all families to one fitting. From research in the field, this unit believes that such fitting is impossible and impractical, and does not trust provided media as a result.

.. This unit notes that the media puts forth this irrelevance because of the notion that has somehow manifested within their thoughts that the buyer doesn't know what they're getting into, and that children are unknowing of what reality and fantasy are. This unit blames various occurances within the United States for this nonsense, and notes that it will continue for the forseeable future because of this fear.

.. This unit will note that a suitable substitute for news programs is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. This program is frequent with content and timeliness, and ignores said 'family values'.

.. Bzzt..

Couldnt agree with your more. And on a scale of 1-10 if she finds it...well she would pawn off my GC and take away my laptop..so is that about a 10?

ABDUR101
Dec 21, 2002, 05:18 PM
Thank God I've been a gamer since I was 4!

Atari, upped to a Nintendo, SNES, Sega, blah blah blah.

I'd get all kinds of games, gory or not and my mom would sit and watch me play. She found it as much fun to watch as I did to go through them. Did'nt matter how much blood was spilt or who got violated, it was always a game and she understood.

The problem with kids today is they don't invite their parents into their rooms to watch play games or play along, that way when your parents say something about all the gore or violence you can say "It's just a game and has no bearing on real life.".

...good luck, and yeah, you better hide that game. Infact if it risked all my systems I'd get rid of it. Losing one game is nothing compared to losing ALL of your stuff.

IceBlink
Dec 21, 2002, 06:25 PM
Game is rated 18 for a reason. o_O

Advice? Sell the game before your mother finds it. Or, give it away. Throw away the packaging and black the CD front. ^_^;

Vantamiath
Dec 22, 2002, 02:12 PM
Well you see, I come from a Christian household (strongly) and no matter how I try to defend my case, my mom simply says it doesnt etify God. I realize this game is for "mature" people, but I think Im ahead of that. I own other M rated games (Red Faction II, RE, MGS2) but she didnt seem interested in seeing them, because they werent on the news. I just wish my parents would understand it's a game...I also wish the media would stop using videogames as an excuse to some of the F#*)ed up problems out there.

Ghen
Dec 22, 2002, 02:28 PM
You know what? I could go into a long diatribe about Christians and religion, but I'm not. My best advice to you is get rid of the paper between the plastic and the case (ya know, the stuff that says "Grand Theft Auto"), also, remove the instruction booklet and either invert the disc when you put it in the case or if you have access to cd labels, put a blank one over it. If she asks about it, tell her it's a diagnostic disc for the PS2.

Gryph
Dec 23, 2002, 08:27 PM
Here's how you hide GTA3.

1: Slide cover from case.
2: Flip it over.
3: Write "PS2 demo disk" on the reverse side.
4: Slide cover back on.

How many moms are gonna look inside the case? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kayumi
Dec 23, 2002, 09:37 PM
I'm glad my parents trust me. The only way there'd be any sort of console removal would be me completely and utterly failing school, and even then there'd be less likelihood of them trying to take the Cube (which I bought and paid for with my own money, none of which they supplied) so much as I'd be told I had to fund my own life from then on.

When I was younger (young enough for there to BE parental right to take away my stuff--at this point if they sold my Cube I'd slap them with a lawsuit or criminal charges for theft--I'm 21, and thus an adult by most every definition) my parents were concerned that the games I played could lead to trouble, but they were usually willing to trust me on it, and they did research of their own before assuming that the media was correct. Even then, the only thing that'd get stuff confiscated--never permanently removed, either--was if my marks suffered.

Balthor
Dec 24, 2002, 09:47 AM
The wonders of living by your self.

I take it for granted sometimes.

Vantamiath
Dec 24, 2002, 04:56 PM
You think I'm a moocher? I pay for all the electronics in my house (even the M-rated ones I'm "not supposed to have") which makes it even more bisarre they want to trash my stuff.

It isnt just games, I have to get a B in all my classes or they get trashed-not kidding. One C on my report card and my GC/laptop are gone. You would think this wouldnt be a problem, but my Science teacher is the biggest commi on the face of the planet, who just felt inclined to give me a 15-20 pg long RESEARCH PAPER on any science topic in our books (im a FRESHMAN), we have to use 10 resources and cant double space...and oh, the font size cant be bigger then 12!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iHATEpsoCHEATERS on 2002-12-24 13:58 ]</font>

00JOE
Dec 24, 2002, 11:16 PM
What used to be Rock Music is now Videogames. All because a parent raises a child completely wrong and the child kills someone doesn't mean videogames are evil.

Die, Lieberman

Vantamiath
Dec 27, 2002, 12:34 PM
Well for Xmas I gave my mom the game not knowing how she would react. She was glad for my honesty and said she would pay for my imported kb for free. I dont really pay GTA3 much anymore, so this is no skin off my back!

"And the truth, will set you FReEeE!"
-Jim Carrey LIAR LIAR

2Xtreme
Dec 27, 2002, 03:11 PM
I had the same problem. My mom read a horribly incorrect article in the local paper called "Vice City's bloodshed keeps 'em coming".

The article of course mentioned all things violent about the GTA universe, and even made a few new things up. (I have NEVER received points for running over dark-skinned people, yet they said I could). Anyway, my mom came storming down the stairs and into my room while I was playing. She said "We have to talk...". I knew I was in shit. In an effort to change her opinion of GTA, I told her this:

In Grand Theft Auto games, if you can think it up, you can do it. You have total freedom. The game is only as violent as you make it. You could finish the game and only kill 5 or 6 people (really, you can!). If the person in the newspaper came across all the gruesome details she mentioned, that says something about her, doesn't it? Something bad. I also pointed out the incorrect parts of the article. And there were alot; the whole article was a prime example of how some adults fear and hate what they don't understand.

Next, I did something you might, at first, think was stupid. I showed her the game. I showed her that you don't have to play violently to have fun. I showed her the ambulance and pizza missions. I showed her how to do unique stunt jumps on the motorbikes. I showed her that you can buy new clothes. She was starting to turn around! So we had a contest; who could drop of the most customers in the taxi before the time ran out? (I obeyed all traffic laws, of course). I lost some health and weant to the hospital to get some more. My mom asked "Why'd you do that? The paper said you need to pick up hookers to get more health!". "... They're wrong, mom. Again."

Now my mom doesn't mind the GTA games.

2Xtreme
Dec 27, 2002, 04:23 PM
Let me type out the Letter of the Month from the latest issue of Official Playstation Magazine. It's another great example of how GTA can be played non-violently:

"I play GTA3 with my 3-year-old son. And my conscience is clear.

That's right. He loves it. Of course, I've set certain rules for myselfon how to play is when he's around. For one, we can't just yank some innocent person out of their car and squeal off with it. Nope. Gotta walk around and find a parked one somewhere. So there's a lot of "Now, where did daddy park the car?' stuff goin on. Kinda like life, imitating a Saturday trip to the mall, you know?

Two. No weapons. Where's the fun in that? Well, hey, what does a 3-year-old care about blowin' heads off anyway? Sometimes, though, if one of the naughty pedestrians swears at us, I'll sock him in the mush, just 'cause he needs to learn to watch his mouth.

Three. If the cops give chase, because I had inadvertently run down a pedestrian or some such, I pull the car over. His only thing, though, is that sometimes, he wants a new car-usually based on a colour. "Get a yellow one, daddy." So we gotta hoof it again. Not as easy as you'd think.

My point-and yes, there is a point-is that this is what the beauty of GTA is. Is so freeform and non-linear that it doesn't have to be a bloodbath. It is what you make it. In short, it's a game that is truly more than the sum of all its parts."

-Demonocus (via OPM message boards)

OPM: Well said, Demonic one. This is exactly the type of letter that all politicians with an antigaming agenda should read-but never will.