PDA

View Full Version : Armor usefulness

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 09:58 PM
I was just on a run and it suddenly hit me... how useful are elemental armors in various areas...

For example Crimson Beast, all the enemies are Fire or Light (i'm pretty surem but also maybe lightning) so you'd think that you should carry fire or light elemental armor there, but all the techs used there are Dark and Ice save for the Dragons which may be lightning based and the giant pig thing which his attack i don't think is a tech so the element doesn't matter...and the de ragan's breath isn't a tech so it might not count as a fire element...

so how useful are elemental armors since no mob uses their correct element and those that do are often possibly not techs and there for are not elemental...

Rashiid
Jul 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
cauz i dont care. id rather save the extra 500k-1mil from 50%s armors and take the extra 200 damage. cauz i actually use mates; unliek the rest of PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
seriously i still die in 3 hits so i don't think it matters much v.v

Kyli
Jul 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
Whenever I play my fT, I change armors constantly in multi-element type areas. This is most common for me when running EP on S2 since the Olakas hit me for 300+ HP if I wear my ice armor, 150 or so for a neutral element, and only about 50 when I wear fire armor. I get similar results from the Gohmon if I wear ice armor, and they don't freeze quite as often. I admit that when I run CB though, I tend to only wear dark armor since the only thing that comes close to hitting me there is the megid.

Inazuma
Jul 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
durakken, normal melee attacks from monsters are the same element as the monster itself.
if you die in 3 hits from a lightning type vahra for example, equip some lightning armor and you will take less damage.

Parn
Jul 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
My store bought Teroline with 25% lightning complimented by a Mega/Rainbow is the difference between my level 55, class level 6 ranger (leveling ranger to 10) taking 170-200 damage from S rank level 65 Volfus, and a level 81, class level 10 wartecher not having lightning element armor taking 250-300 damage instead. Elemental percents on armor make a huge difference. I'm not making the numbers up either, as I just logged off with the above happening but half an hour ago.

DurakkenX
Jul 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
really? i didn't know that, but still... i have to decide between getting 3hit killed without being able to defend or move or being one hit killed by megid flying... it's pretty silly

-Tidus_415-
Jul 17, 2007, 10:23 PM
On 2007-07-17 20:03, Rashiid wrote:
cauz i dont care. id rather save the extra 500k-1mil from 50%s armors and take the extra 200 damage. cauz i actually use mates; unliek the rest of PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I like your attitude...We need to play again so I can get your card. lol

Rashiid
Jul 17, 2007, 10:55 PM
LoL sure tang! once i get all of BulletMasters stuffies sold; ill be sure to =]

WOOD7770
Jul 18, 2007, 07:59 PM
Looks like we still have people that believe dark armor will save you from megid! No need to take dark armor on Crimson. What you do need is fire and lightning! If you are terribly annoyed by the golmoro, you can bring a light armor but I tend to leave that behind. I guess once you face level 100+ creatures it will become evident that the one fire armor or nuetral armor you have aint gonna cut it!
Megid has a effect besides the damage dealt it can cause incopacitation. As far as I can tell, mental strength and evasion as well as edurance tend to reduce an effects chances of success. THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE NO DEATH FROM MEGID IS NOT TAKING A SINGLR POINT OF DAMAGE FROM IT! Unless you are a Newman Fortetecher with a good % dark armor you cannot nulify Megid completely.
I love it when people scream for buffs and say, "just give me the red one!" Ufortunately they all benefit every class and every race. I learned this through countless hours on unsafe passage with my techer. Before I invested in a better armor, I used the NPC Rabol Tero (21% dark, 29 with rainbow) At the time I was lower level and without buffs the Megid would hit me for 0-5 pts of damage, with buffs it would always hit me for 0. I never died until one late night of PA leveling I missed the fact my buffs had worn off and all those 0s hitting me went to 0-0-0-0-0-3-0-1...dead. 1 point was all it took. The level 4 Megid is a very different story, I have yet to see someone zero out that bad boy!
I dont see how popping mates is very practical for any length of time. eventually you will run out and have to either return to your room or buy from the ripoff atist out front. I usually dont return to my room when im all the way out at Agata Relics just to grab some trimates. If you always party with techers than that is great for you but awful for them. Resta past 21 is pretty expesive to cast over and over. Especially on a long mission using an A rank rod.
So is spending millions on armor cheaper? No probably not, but it does allow you to approach missions with a greater level of confidence. Scape doll purchases can kill any profit from most missions and I cant tell you how many scapes good armor has saved me. How important it is to you is your own decision, but when you find you cant get into a party because the armor you have is screaming "liability" then you might reconsider.
Hope this helps, but most of all have fun!

Garnet_Moon
Jul 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
On 2007-07-18 17:59, WOOD7770 wrote:
when you find you cant get into a party because the armor you have is screaming "liability" then you might reconsider.

Hope this helps, but most of all have fun!

Your second line completely contradicts your first.

It's not possible to have fun if you're worried about number crunching and trying to get maps down to a syncrhonized and choreographed play. There's no fun in that, it's just work.

jgar000
Jul 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
if u are going everywhere seriously ur not a noob if u pull out the neutral cause people arent going to call u a noob for that and if they do there a noob for thinking neutral is bad.

jgar000
Jul 18, 2007, 08:05 PM
and by the way megid is an abnormaty done to u to instantly kill u so wearing dark armor does actually reduce the % rate of the megid killing u.

Theoderic
Jul 18, 2007, 11:12 PM
I doubt Megid is nulified if damge from it is reduced. Take for example that with Yak Banga 30 on my fG, I can burn Polavohra pretty easily, doing about 100 damge average without buffs, and after it casts Deband. If I am hitting it for at least one point of damage, it has a chance of being burned. I've noticed it to work the other way around too. It's hard for me to die from Megid from the Deljaban in Fight For Food S because I have high STA, but when I see 55 damage pop up, I think continuously how there is always the chance it can kill me. When I have Light armor on, I take about 120 damage, and I still rarely die from it. IMO, I believe that the ONLY way to nullify Megid is to completely 0 the damage. I don't get infected when they hit me because they do 0 damage at all times on me while wearing my Dark armor, so it's useful in that instance, but not against Megid.

Also look at Traps. They always apply status (if said status is applicable to target) as long as 1 point of damage is done.

beatrixkiddo
Jul 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
He said if Megid is reduced to 0 damage it cannot kill you. This applies to any status effect; you have to deal at least 1 point of damage for the status effect to land.

fumatanera
Jul 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
On 2007-07-18 21:12, Theoderic wrote:
I doubt Megid is nulified if damge from it is reduced. Take for example that with Yak Banga 30 on my fG, I can burn Polavohra pretty easily, doing about 100 damge average without buffs, and after it casts Deband. If I am hitting it for at least one point of damage, it has a chance of being burned. I've noticed it to work the other way around too. It's hard for me to die from Megid from the Deljaban in Fight For Food S because I have high STA, but when I see 55 damage pop up, I think continuously how there is always the chance it can kill me. When I have Light armor on, I take about 120 damage, and I still rarely die from it. IMO, I believe that the ONLY way to nullify Megid is to completely 0 the damage. I don't get infected when they hit me because they do 0 damage at all times on me while wearing my Dark armor, so it's useful in that instance, but not against Megid.

Also look at Traps. They always apply status (if said status is applicable to target) as long as 1 point of damage is done.

isnt that what wood just said?

Kyli
Jul 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
Looks like we still have people that believe dark armor will save you from megid! No need to take dark armor on Crimson.

The dark armor does NOT nullify the "insta-death" effect, but it does greatly reduce the damage from it, especially if you combine it with a cast of Reteir. If the damage is reduced to 0, then there is NO status effect applied as the previous posts state. I don't think it would be possible to completely nullify a level 4 megid even with a 50% armor, though we won't know until the cap is raised past current for female Newman fT.

panzer_unit
Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
I've moved on from purchasing shop / player-shop elemental armor to rare weapon sets... so I'm usually non-elemental, but wearing really high-end pieces (8* GRM w/ set bonus, 9* Tenora)

I didn't have AWESOME elemental stuff before, and I really don't notice the difference that much.

Lamak
Jul 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
I carry 5 armors, meh.
26% Fire Ga Senba
22% Lightning Michi Senba
18% Light Michi Senba
16% Dark Michi Senba
10% Yamata Senba

>.>

amtalx
Jul 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
For high ranking missions, a good percentage armor is critical to saving mates, and even your life.

When the 2nd batch of Parum Firebreak missions was released, the Lvl 105 Olgohmon Foie did ~2500 damage to me. Needless to say I would die instantly. I went out and bought the NPC Hardline with 31% Fire, and that shaved off enough damage to let me survive a hit. Then I could down a Trimate, and I was back in the fight.

Also, percentage is FAR more important that actual Def. 4 Def. reduces damage by 1. Going by the previous example, the damage that the Hardline took off was about ~600. My armor would need to have 2400 Def. to have the same effect if it were neutral.