PDA

View Full Version : Should they combine pc/ps2 with xbox 360 english servers?

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
If you had your choice would you have Sega combine xbox 360 english servers with pc/ps2 to boost up server populations?

Mayu
Jul 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
Due to haxeta remaining in our economy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif(PS2-PC)

I think that will make the xbox people either really mad? or really Happy lol <.<

Maybe a good idea o.o

unless

SEGA: WE ARE NOW COMBINING BOTH XBOX AND PC-PS2 SERVERS, BUT WE ARE ALSO RESTARTING EVERYONE MESETA'S

Like that will ever happen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-07-18 13:34 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Jul 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
I'd rather have the 360 servers and PC/PS2 servers stay apart. Haxeta and hacking is something I don't really want to put up with. Voice chat would probably have to be abolished as well which basically everyone on 360 uses.

HateName351
Jul 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
No.

I like actually being able to make money on the meseta I sell on ebay.

Para
Jul 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
On 2007-07-18 13:33, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:
Due to haxeta remaining in our economy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif(PS2-PC)

I think that will make the xbox people either really mad? or really Happy lol <.<

Maybe a good idea o.o

unless

SEGA: WE ARE NOW COMBINING BOTH XBOX AND PC-PS2 SERVERS, BUT WE ARE ALSO RESTARTING EVERYONE MESETA'S

Nah... M$ elitism may come into play. M$ won't let us contaminate their Xbox Live Service cuz xbox live = elite hence only elite xbox players must get elite service separated from us shitty ps2/pc service D:

But seriously.. fat chance ever happening and SEGA already said that the two networks are a bit too different to be able make them compatible (yeah right moar like lazy).

RedX
Not sure if thats a good idea. Besides i like small http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

D1ABOLIK
On 2007-07-18 13:35, HateName351 wrote:
No.

Your a sad little boy.

________
DE LUXE FORD (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/De_Luxe_Ford)

RappyRobot
[quote]
I'd rather have the 360 servers and PC/PS2 servers stay apart. Haxeta and hacking is something I don't really want to put up with. Voice chat would probably have to be abolished as well which basically everyone on 360 uses

Well it would be hell for the first month or so but a balance could be found? As for voice chat they could easily add that to pc and ps2/ps3 4 expansion.
voice over ip is easy to do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
[quote]#4 Posted: 2007-07-18 13:35
No.

TO THE LAPUCHA PIT WITH HIM!!!!!

DreamLocke
Jul 18, 2007, 03:40 PM
I would say why not? FFXI has everyone...

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 03:43 PM
[quote]#4 Posted: 2007-07-18 13:35
No.

TO THE LAPUCHA PIT WITH HIM!!!!!

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 03:44 PM
#8 Posted: 2007-07-18 13:38
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to haxeta remaining in our economy (PS2-PC)

Maybe a good idea o.o

unless

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah... M$ elitism may come into play. M$ won't let us contaminate their Xbox Live Service cuz xbox live = elite hence only elite xbox players must get elite service separated from us shitty ps2/pc service D:

But seriously.. fat chance ever happening and SEGA already said that the two networks are a bit too different to be able make them compatible (yeah right moar like lazy).

i guarentee its it all about the laziness issue.. Here that sonic team lol we think your lazy!! YOU YOU RESKINNERS YOU !!! RTFLOL

Slasher1nOnly
Jul 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
naw i dont think they should b/c its lready a bunch of laggin on 360 that would make alot more

Rashiid
Jul 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
LoLjustlcknao.

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
[quote]#13 Posted: 2007-07-18 13:49
naw i dont think they should b/c its lready a bunch of laggin on 360 that would make alot more

I dont think that would be an issue? Arent they supposed to fix the frame rates in AOI for ps2? They will probably do the same for 360 release.

PALRAPPYS
Jul 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
NO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

PC/PS2 in my 360? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 04:15 PM
[quote]#16 Posted: 2007-07-18 14:09
NO.

PC/PS2 in my 360?

this is why i hate HACKERS LOL! they ruin game play 4 others and ppl like this guy want nothing to do with pc/ps2 users http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

So the rest of us totally legit players are punished by other idiots on our server http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

D1ABOLIK
Jul 18, 2007, 04:48 PM
On 2007-07-18 13:35, HateName351 wrote:
No.

Your a sad little boy.

________
Drug rehab forums (http://www.rehab-forum.com/)

Kent
Jul 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
Combining the servers is a seriously bad idea.

It's not like Xbox Live is elite or something, or that Microsoft's abbreviation involves a dollar sign. You'd have to be stupid to think either - quite verily, in fact.

The Live service is designed for working with the Live service - the reason FFXI is cross-platform? It almost doesn't use it at all. PSU has the voice chat, and it has the various functionality of associating with gamertags.

It's not only a bad idea, but it won't be happening any time soon, either - and it certainly isn't because of elitism.

Sinue_v2
Jul 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't necessarily want the servers merged, though I see no good reason to keep them separated apart from security issues stemming from the PC side. However, it would be nice if the 360 version allowed you to choose which servers you want to access upon startup. Of course, characters wouldn't be able to migrate. That way, you can use the 360 hardware to access the PS2/PC servers - which would be nice for those who don't want to use their PS2's shitty graphics, and would rather play PSU from their livingrooms than at their PC.

HateName351
Jul 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
How does it make me a sad little boy to sell meseta on ebay?

If anyone hasn't really noticed this game is more of a chore then a fun activity.

I enjoy the game, but the countless hours spent hunting various items has to be able to pay the rent or else I would actually need to work at work rather then spend my time watching the special olympics on you tube.

Gimps are hot.

jayster
Jul 18, 2007, 06:02 PM
I really wish they would have combined all servers from the start. But its too late for combining now. Even restarting meseta wouldnt work because pc / ps2 has way more armors and weps made frm the haxeta then 360 has(not all pc ers do but a lot). It just won't happen, too late for them to try it.

Sekani
Jul 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
Everyone should just quit the PC/PS2 and jump over to the dark side 360, then we wouldn't have these tired topics or console wars anymore.

Seriously, our cookies are better.

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
[quote]
#23 Posted: 2007-07-18 16:30
Everyone should just quit the PC/PS2 and jump over to the dark side 360, then we wouldn't have these tired topics or console wars anymore.

Seriously, our cookies are better.

--------------------------------------------------
I luv psu but not enough to buy an xbox 360....I'd be buying it essentially for one game and thats not worth it lol

Sekani
Jul 18, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hey rappyrobot, see the row of icons underneath every post? Use the one on the right to quote that post.

Mayu
Jul 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
On 2007-07-18 16:02, jayster wrote:
I really wish they would have combined all servers from the start. But its too late for combining now. Even restarting meseta wouldnt work because pc / ps2 has way more armors and weps made frm the haxeta then 360 has(not all pc ers do but a lot). It just won't happen, too late for them to try it.

<.< Then we show it off to ''Hulk or w/e'' and make him cry right? o.o

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryuugu-Rena on 2007-07-18 17:06 ]</font>

Esufer
Jul 18, 2007, 07:08 PM
How do I shot flamebait?

Garnet_Moon
Jul 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
Do it just so I can see the looks on the 360 crowd when they see us with our complete line ups of 50% weapons, armor, max meseta, and every single S-Rank; released and not release.

It'd be priceless.

Mayu
Jul 18, 2007, 07:12 PM
<.< I would laugh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

McLaughlin
Jul 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
On 2007-07-18 15:21, Kent wrote:
Combining the servers is a seriously bad idea.

It's not like Xbox Live is elite or something, or that Microsoft's abbreviation involves a dollar sign. You'd have to be stupid to think either - quite verily, in fact.

The Live service is designed for working with the Live service - the reason FFXI is cross-platform? It almost doesn't use it at all. PSU has the voice chat, and it has the various functionality of associating with gamertags.

It's not only a bad idea, but it won't be happening any time soon, either - and it certainly isn't because of elitism.

Kent nailed it.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
On 2007-07-18 17:12, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:

I would point and laugh when the purists start crying and quitting PSU because of it.

In fact, i'd send them hate mail and everything too. Oh, and it'd be voice mail over my ventrillo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-07-18 17:17 ]</font>

Alura
Jul 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
i think they should so we have more players >.> either way everyone is going poor so doesnt matter.

dudeanonymous
Jul 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
that would be a good idea...I am not getting a 360 and some of my friends play on there...so it would indeed be nice..cuz right now I'm kinda a loner on psu...and the economy is leveling out on psu wether you guys see it or not the hackers dissapeared...haxeta is dissapearing and it is harder and harder to make money on psu in ps2 pc servers especially with less people to spend money...

jgar000
Jul 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
when u compare the english server with the japan server japan is like x10 of what the xbox 360 english is so i am 100% with combining the servers because we need more people. There wouldnt be lagg because they could fix that if the were going to perform such a big task as combining servers.

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
On 2007-07-18 17:41, jgar000 wrote:
when u compare the english server with the japan server japan is like x10 of what the xbox 360 english is so i am 100% with combining the servers because we need more people. There wouldnt be lagg because they could fix that if the were going to perform such a big task as combining servers.

thank you lol what I've been saying

RappyRobot
Jul 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-07-18 17:41, jgar000 wrote:

thank you lol what I've been saying

KidoKresh
Jul 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
It would be cool to be able to play with the PC/PS2 players, buuut all this "someone stole items from my shop", and haxeta... I don't want to have to deal with that. Besides 360 players won't be able to anything about it because even if they tried hacking they would get kicked off xboxlive in about 4hrs or less.

Midicronica
Jul 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
360 english? And no.

VanHalen
Jul 18, 2007, 08:33 PM
I'll stay where I am on PC/PS2. I like the way stuff is kind of thank you very much. These hacks/exploits are nothing compared to watching a enemy your about to kill go through a vaccum cleaner to a hacker.

Also doesn't anyone see a problem with a Sony system and Mircosoft system partnered with each other? *This is the part where someone says it happened and I stare dumbfounded like always*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-07-18 18:36 ]</font>

Sekani
Jul 18, 2007, 08:39 PM
Final Fantasy XI is cross-platform, but only because it doesn't use the closed Xbox Live network.

VanHalen
Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
Shit! >_<

Stefanhizzle
Jul 18, 2007, 08:42 PM
OMG!!!!

NOOOO!!!!
PS2/PC I heard has Hacked $$
That would tottaly destroy the economy(Its already Bad enough!!)

Midicronica
Jul 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
On 2007-07-18 18:42, Stefanhizzle wrote:
OMG!!!!

NOOOO!!!!

Fail.

Miyoko
Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
They should combine AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the servers!

Davot
Jul 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
On 2007-07-18 18:42, Stefanhizzle wrote:
OMG!!!!

NOOOO!!!!

our econemy isnt as fucked up as theirs.some of their shit goes for more money then ill ever make lol.

Wallin
Jul 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
Reason why FFXI succeeded cross-platform: Mithra and Tarutaru.

That is all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BloodDragoon
Jul 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
On 2007-07-18 13:38, Para wrote:

Maybe a good idea o.o

unless

Lazy is my first impression on this as well, though supposedly the PSU client on the 360 had to be reworked a little to be compatible with xbl. Dunno how FFXI was setup on 360. I don't feel like buying a 4th copy of the game to find out but FFXI on the 360 does share the same servers as PC/PS2 as a few people I know in game moved to that platform from their PS2.

Merging all the PSU servers? Well that probably would get a whole mess of mixed results from the player base on the Japanese servers. Theres alot of stereotypical online behavior traits branded as American they don't care for and in many cases won't tolerate at all. Going back to FFXI as an example. Most cases when you do searches for party members you'll see atleast half the Japanese players on the search results with "JP ONLY" in their comment. With the severs separated by region as they are now I would guess they're probably more tolerant of American players but thats mostly speculation based off the fact its rare any of the "annoying" or "rude" members of American online culture would spend the time to import a video game. Though again this scenario is only speculation as I know of some other split region games that blocked IP's originating outside their region which I dunno if that kind of block is in place or not on PSU's JP servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BloodDragoon on 2007-07-18 20:03 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jul 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
On 2007-07-18 19:41, Wallin wrote:
Reason why FFXI succeeded cross-platform: Mithra and Tarutaru.

That is all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FFXI worked because of midgets and G.I.R.L. Manthra? Hardly.

FFXI worked because Square Enix actually thinks this crap out. They don't use Xbox Live for anything other than getting you onto their server.

Almighty_Envy
Jul 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
It would be awesome.......but it wouldnt be.

Wallin
Jul 19, 2007, 01:36 AM
On 2007-07-18 19:55, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
FFXI worked because of midgets and G.I.R.L. Manthra? Hardly.

FFXI worked because Square Enix actually thinks this crap out. They don't use Xbox Live for anything other than getting you onto their server.

Wow, it was a joke, take some of that frustration out on the Pannon. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

morrow
Jul 19, 2007, 05:44 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif awwwww but i wanna play wit more ppl!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Mystil
Jul 19, 2007, 05:46 AM
Can't happen.

susaru7
Jul 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
i dont think so because all my french,jp australia,and etc buddies would be separate from me . i wont like that much.

APEXi
Jul 19, 2007, 06:47 AM
i hope they never do this. im not going to say it's impossible or anything, i just hope they dont - for the sake of the 360 remaining the one legit way to play. but if they did, i'd drop my 360 psu account the second its announced and renew my pc subscription

-dis-
Jul 19, 2007, 08:19 AM
On 2007-07-18 17:17, Garnet_Moon wrote:

On 2007-07-18 17:12, Ryuugu-Rena wrote:

I would point and laugh when the purists start crying and quitting PSU because of it.

In fact, i'd send them hate mail and everything too. Oh, and it'd be voice mail over my ventrillo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-07-18 17:17 ]</font>
How have you avoided getting banned on this site? I'm honestly curious. I'm impressed.

chibiLegolas
Jul 19, 2007, 11:11 AM
I've love to see this happen in AoI. But I doubt it.
What's the point of playing an online game when you're restricting certain ppl from playing together?!

I wanna play with EVERYBODY who wants to play PSU! Europe, Japan, 360, PC, PS2, etc....
I want us ALL to be one big happy family! Haxeta or not, it's the people I can play with that interests me.

-dis-
Jul 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
From the 360 side of things, joining the servers is an absurd idea.

McLaughlin
Jul 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
It should be from the PS2/PC (NA/EU) side as well. After all, we're a bunch of elitist, 14 year old pricks.

amtalx
Jul 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
MS would have to sign off on it, and there is no way they are letting PC users access Live without Vista (now that its out). To further plague this idea, ST doesn't have anything near the development prowess to make it work. A lot a work would need to be done to this system to make MS happy, and its not worth it to add a few stars to a platform that already has plenty of players. Game Over.

Also, I don't want PC/PS2 wrecking my economy. What do you think will happen when all those players that saved millions in haxeta will do when they are unleashed on uninflated player shop prices? They are going to have a field day snapping up all the weapons that legitimate 360 players can't afford. All of the prices that 360 players think are outrageous will easily be within reach for some PC/PS2 players.

pikachief
Jul 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
I DONT REALLY CARE! so our economy will balance out eventually wouldnt it? cuz your mixing highg prices with low i know some people arent gonna go bakc to highger prices. some might but i know alot who wouldnt.

thiers no more haxeta so u guys would jsut keep buying from the lwo shops you'll all just be considered rich :/

more people for u guys more people for us.

the only problem me and my friends have about them combining servers is the voices XD

Akaimizu
Jul 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
But the economies are still vastly different. The damage done is already done, and according to even posts made now; they are still in quite different leagues. A setback like this is absolutely 100% guarranteed to set people like myself back through the release of the expansion.

Kion
Jul 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
On 2007-07-19 09:11, chibiLegolas wrote:
I've love to see this happen in AoI. But I doubt it.
What's the point of playing an online game when you're restricting certain ppl from playing together?!

I wanna play with EVERYBODY who wants to play PSU! Europe, Japan, 360, PC, PS2, etc....
I want us ALL to be one big happy family! Haxeta or not, it's the people I can play with that interests me.

So true. Why be so focussed whether people play on one console or another, and the largest complaint seems to be "the economy". It seems like people are threatened of losing their staus.

panzer_unit
Jul 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
On 2007-07-19 09:25, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
It should be from the PS2/PC (NA/EU) side as well. After all, we're a bunch of elitist, 14 year old pricks.

... and you're on a one-man crusade to prove it! WTG

I'd love to have the servers merged if it meant PC/PS2 got voice chat. Otherwise communication would blow:

keyboard_jockey [PS2]: WTF WONT ANY1 TALK TO ME?
keyboard_jockey [PS2]: YOU GUYS ARE ELITIST PRICKS
keyboard_jockey [PS2]: PROLY 14 YEARS OLD OR SMTH LOLOLOLOL
niceguy [360]: CANT TYPE FAST
niceguy [360]: GOT HEADSET?
keyboard_jockey [PS2]: q.q no

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
It seems like people are threatened of losing their staus.

If that's the case, then that is incredibly, pathetically, and hilariously sad.

A lot a work would need to be done to this system to make MS happy, and its not worth it to add a few stars to a platform that already has plenty of players. Game Over.

It depends. How much cost and resources would the conversion really take? Is it greater than the cost of running the 20+ empty unused servers day-in-day-out indefinitely? It wouldn't be a matter of adding a few stars - but of eliminating costs. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there are about at least 2,000+ paying customers still on the PS2/PC servers at least. If they can keep that and reduce costs - then why not?

Technical issues? Give me a break. We live in the digital age - and I'm sure software could be written, implemented, modified, etc. to make it work. Not to say that it might not be difficult, but it is possible. The only thing that's really standing in the way is Microsoft. Even if you took the game off Live and hosted it on Sega's own servers (which I'm not entirely sure weither or not it's already is the case) you'd still have your gamerscore, voice chat, friends list, etc.. - all the shit that runs in the background. You still have access to your friends list in FFXI, your gamerscore, all of that.

You don't have voice chat on FFXI, but that could be picked up on Sega's end - so that you use their servers for the voice chat between people in your party. Voice chat wouldn't work for the PS2/PC - obviously, but voice chat isn't a critical component in PSU. It would no more be a hinderance than a PS2 person playing on a team with PC people who are using Ventrillo. Many 360 PSU players don't use voice chat on PSU, and the 360 is compatable with USB keyboards. Checking gamercards? The option wouldn't even show up for non-360 players. Nor would the option even be there for PC/PS2 players when checking a 360 player.

If you think it's a "technical impossibility", then that's just a defeatist attitude because you personally just don't want to see it happen. The only thing "technically" stopping any server merger would be who is in control of the 360 PSU servers and how they want to administer their network. It's more of a business diplomacy issue than a technical matter, I'm sure.

amtalx
Jul 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
On 2007-07-19 10:52, Kion wrote:

So true. Why be so focussed whether people play on one console or another, and the largest complaint seems to be "the economy". It seems like people are threatened of losing their staus.

Umm...because the economy is a critical part of any decent online RPG. If I want an item, and I don't have it or feel like farming for it, I have to buy it. Provided that said item is not available from an NPC shop, which is the case with most higher level items, I'm going to head for a player shop. Player shop prices are generally set by supply and demand, but the value of the currency is based on inflation.

In an economy where there is an influx of currency, the value goes down making prices soar. The problem is created when prices go up, but income remains constant. Merging the economies will be great for PC/PS2 players, because they will be able to carry their money into an economy where their assets are worth more...a lot more. Like taking a US dollar to Mexico. For 360 players, it will be the opposite. They will suddenly be thrust into an economy where all of their hard work means nothing. They won't be able to afford the items they used to because player shop owners will be forced to raise their prices to avoid having their shops raped by rich PC/PS2 players. It's not really a matter of status, it's just going to make life hard for 360 players. Sure the wealth will slowly be spread to 360 players, but that doesn't solve the problem of too much currency in an economy where the means for income is fixed.

To make matters worse. This only accounts for liquid assets. Few have bothered to consider hard assets like 50% weapons and players with palettes fulls of S-rank weapons. There are probably a handful of players with net worths of over a billion meseta. That is unheard of on 360. All that being said, there is no way to combine the servers without a huge amount of collateral damage.

Shardio
Jul 19, 2007, 02:00 PM
Don't think, merge.
If you think too much, EVERYTHING is bad! Playing PSU as a whole is bad. Yup. It is. If you think about it.
Kids, skip school. Don't THINK, FOR GOD'S SAKE! DON'T!!
(Don't even LEARN to think @_@)

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 02:03 PM
Merging the economies will be great for PC/PS2 players, because they will be able to carry their money into an economy where their assets are worth more...a lot more. Like taking a US dollar to Mexico.

And yet, we're still planning on merging the US & Canada with Mexico into the North American Union.

I'm sure that on the whole, there's a lot more people on the 360 version who would take advantage of the situation of an influx of meseta, and it would make their game experience better. The merge wouldn't affect them as much. Just like there were on the PS2/PC versions who rolled with the times and adjusted their play - and prices.

You'd have more to worry about security in the form of, oh I dunno, assholes breaking into your room and robbing you fucking blind - than a messed up economy. Yet it seems that the "economy" is always the sacrificial lamb that gets offered up and touted around in these discussions.

And by the way - the economy is already fubar on the 360 version, every bit as much as the PS2/PC version. People still far overprice their items in their shops. It's just not as inflated. If it weren't a problem due to cheated meseta, it would be Meseta sellers. It's not exactly a new phenomena within the world of online RPGs. Not to mention that if Sega keeps up the trend of HSM type missions giving progressively bigger and bigger meseta rewards, then it's not going to matter much anyhow. They're already up to 32k for an A S-Rank run.

ashley50
Jul 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
They use headsets to communicate...
WE DON'T! (aside from teh vent thingy)

I'm fine with KBs and I don't like talking in the Internet

amtalx
Jul 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
On 2007-07-19 11:26, Sinue_v2 wrote:

It depends. How much cost and resources would the conversion really take? Is it greater than the cost of running the 20+ empty unused servers day-in-day-out indefinitely? It wouldn't be a matter of adding a few stars - but of eliminating costs. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there are about at least 2,000+ paying customers still on the PS2/PC servers at least. If they can keep that and reduce costs - then why not?

Technical issues? Give me a break. We live in the digital age - and I'm sure software could be written, implemented, modified, etc. to make it work. Not to say that it might not be difficult, but it is possible. The only thing that's really standing in the way is Microsoft. Even if you took the game off Live and hosted it on Sega's own servers (which I'm not entirely sure weither or not it's already is the case) you'd still have your gamerscore, voice chat, friends list, etc.. - all the shit that runs in the background. You still have access to your friends list in FFXI, your gamerscore, all of that.

You don't have voice chat on FFXI, but that could be picked up on Sega's end - so that you use their servers for the voice chat between people in your party. Voice chat wouldn't work for the PS2/PC - obviously, but voice chat isn't a critical component in PSU. It would no more be a hinderance than a PS2 person playing on a team with PC people who are using Ventrillo. Many 360 PSU players don't use voice chat on PSU, and the 360 is compatable with USB keyboards. Checking gamercards? The option wouldn't even show up for non-360 players. Nor would the option even be there for PC/PS2 players when checking a 360 player.

If you think it's a "technical impossibility", then that's just a defeatist attitude because you personally just don't want to see it happen. The only thing "technically" stopping any server merger would be who is in control of the 360 PSU servers and how they want to administer their network. It's more of a business diplomacy issue than a technical matter, I'm sure.

I definitely see your point of view, but unfortunately, its not quite right. You may have picked the wrong person to make this point with though, I do this for a living. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It just so happens I work closely with both MS and several game developers, some of which are much better and much worse than ST. The simple fact is that development is EXTREMELY expensive, and the only thing more expensive than development is starting another development cycle two make to systems compatible with each other. Not to mention that the QA process takes almost as long (or longer depending on the project and skill of the developers) as the development cycle itself. There are a myriad of technical issues that I'm sure we don't even know about. It's very easy to breeze over things like the voice chat and the Gamercard system in a few sentences. Sometimes people forget that someone actually has to sit down and code all of that. Then it has to be QAed and rewritten any number of times.

Also, from my experience with MS, getting anything MS certified is not easy (which will be necessary since it uses XLB). Why do you think all the drivers you have installed for Windows aren't signed? Because its a pain. They have guidelines for EVERYTHING. I've had clients fail their cert because the barcode label on their device was oversized by 2mm...seriously. A project of this scope would require MS involvement on every level and would end up being very expensive.

Sinue_v2
Jul 19, 2007, 02:44 PM
I fail to see where we were in substancial disagreement, aside from our starting positions on the issue (for or against merger). We both concede that it would likely be expensive (although how expensive when in the context of running and maintaining unused servers, I'm not sure) and it likely would be difficult - although not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. And we both agree that the largest obstacle to the process would be, in fact, Microsoft. In the long run, it may be better for Sonic Team to just shut down the unused servers, provided that's possible - as I'm not sure how many servers they're actually using and how the structure is. Using the deactivated servers for other online games rather buying all new servers and allowing the PSU servers to run unused.

Just a point of note: I'm not necessarily FOR server merger. As said before, my only wish is that I could use the 360 hardware to access the PS2/PC servers.. and perhaps for the merging of HL's so that one license can be used across all versions without having to pay twice for the same game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-07-19 12:47 ]</font>

RappyRobot
Jul 20, 2007, 01:05 AM
On 2007-07-19 12:00, Shardio wrote:
Don't think, merge.
If you think too much, EVERYTHING is bad! Playing PSU as a whole is bad. Yup. It is. If you think about it.
Kids, skip school. Don't THINK, FOR GOD'S SAKE! DON'T!!
(Don't even LEARN to think @_@)

I'M THINKING OMG http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif